Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Red Sox sign top Australian prospect Daniel McGrath

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
41 replies to this topic

#1 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:06 PM

@donnydragons MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT: Doncaster's Daniel McGrath has signed with the Boston Red Sox.

Ace pitcher set to try his arm in the US
November 27, 2011

MELBOURNE Aces manager and international scout Phil Dale believes 17-year-old Doncaster pitcher Daniel McGrath is the next on the radar to head to the US after fielding a swag of major league contracts.

The explosive young talent - who made his debut on the Aces' roster last season - is choosing between going to college in the US and signing a professional contract.

But it appears certain that he will join the more experienced Aces pitcher Shane Lindsay - who signed with the LA Dodgers last week - to head to the US at the completion of the Aces' season.

''He's [McGrath] an amateur and still in the under-18 program but he pitches for us and he's doing a really good job, better than I've seen him pitch for a long time,'' Dale said.

''I think he's had offers but he's just playing around with what options are the best for him.''

Posted Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf17FR90t58

He's 6'3. Doesn't turn 18 until July 7th.

Edited by SoxScout, 07 February 2012 - 08:41 PM.

#2 StuckOnYouk

• 2,064 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:51 PM

The next Jon Lester would be nice!

#3 CaptainLaddie

• dj paul pfieffer

• 23,114 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:06 PM

That's exactly who I thought he looked like, too. Heh.

#4 Traylora

• 1 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:24 PM

oh! incredible things :))

#5 Orel Miraculous

• 1,515 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:09 PM

This is exciting. Not because I have any idea whether he's any good, but because MLB Network is broadcasting the ABL championship series this weekend featuring McGrath's Melbourne Aces against the Perth Heat.

#6 SydneySox

• SoSH Member

• 9,258 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:45 PM

If only that were more exciting down here :(

#7 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:40 PM

The 6-foot-3 southpaw will also pitch in the under-18 Nationals for a third time, having already shown the best velocity (approximately 91 mph) of any Australian pitcher to throw in the tournament.

According to one major league source, there were 15 big league organizations interested in McGrath, who narrowed down his decision to three teams at the end. A longtime Red Sox fan, McGrath turned down richer offers from other teams in order to sign with the Sox, the source added. The Red Sox were represented at Tuesday's signing by the organization's scouting director for the Pacific region, Jon Deeble, who first saw the big lefty pitch four years ago............. He was thought to have drawn the most interest from major league clubs of any Australian teenager in at least the past 10 years.

http://www.weei.com/...tralian-pitcher

Posted Image

Edited by SoxScout, 07 February 2012 - 10:45 PM.

#8 Over Guapo Grande

• 686 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:56 PM

Writes righty, throws lefty?

#9 SydneySox

• SoSH Member

• 9,258 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:06 PM

http://www.weei.com/...tralian-pitcher

Interesting that the article neglects to note that Jon Deeble doesn't just work for the Sox, he's the National Coach of the Australian team a well. It's a little bit of info, but a fairly relevant one when it comes to this sort of thing, because Deeble would have been around this kid for a long time.

#10 Sprowl

• mikey lowell of the sandbox

• 21,281 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:31 PM

It's a rare mix, but not unheard of. Sometimes the power hand and the skill hand aren't the same. I write lefty, and throw righty (not at 91 mph, unfortunately).

#11 strek1

• SoSH Member

• 6,756 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:35 PM

This is rather "Out of the blue" is it not? Hope he pans out. The Minors did need some reinforcements.

#12 PedroSpecialK

• Comes at you like a tornado of hair and the NHL salary cap

• 16,991 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:47 PM

I did not know there was an Aussie Stevie Janowski

#13 Freddy Linn

• SoSH Member

• 6,265 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:05 AM

Rafael Nadal is the same.

#14 SydneySox

• SoSH Member

• 9,258 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:06 AM

A friend in the ABL passed this info on:

"Well I can add he's a product of the MLB Australian Academy having first attended in 2009 as a 14 or 15 year old. He was the top pitcher in the recent U-18s Oceania Championships, won by Australia, where he was 2-0 with a 0.00 ERA over nine innings in which he allowed four hits and struck out 18. He'll have a short visit to Spring Training then come home to finish Year 12 and attend the Academy again this year."

#15 Carl Everetts Therapist

• yossarian

• PipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:31 AM

Watching that 2 second clip it looks like he could lengthen his stride and short arm the ball a little less. I am hardly the pitching expert, but it looks like he has a real possibility to add velocity with some coaching, age, and weight training. A raw kid whose a lefty and throws hard with a prototypical "pitchers"frame, this looks like a nice signing, I wonder how he would have fit into a typical draft board. Depending on the money (says he took less to come to Boston) this seems like the kind of move that good farm systems make.

Edited by Carl Everetts Therapist, 08 February 2012 - 07:31 AM.

#16 Orel Miraculous

• 1,515 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:57 AM

ABL.com Article

Stats

Strangely he's only pitched in 12 of Melbourne's 45 games and went a full month without an appearance from Dec. 20 to Jan. 22. Hopefully we get a look at him this weekend.

10.2 IP, 14 H, 8 BB, 11 K, 6.75 ERA.

#17 rembrat

• SoSH Member

• 23,547 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:33 AM

I shall call him... "Bloodbath" McGrath.

#18 trekfan55

• SoSH Member

• 5,576 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:47 PM

This is worth pointing out:

Source: Red Sox lock up highly-regarded Australian teenage pitcher Daniel McGrath -- hat tip to @sonsofsamhorn http://fullcount.wee...daniel-mcgrath/

Bradfo's twitter link

#19 Harry Hooper

• SoSH Member

• 14,802 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:57 PM

Watching that 2 second clip it looks like he could lengthen his stride and short arm the ball a little less. I am hardly the pitching expert, but it looks like he has a real possibility to add velocity with some coaching, age, and weight training. A raw kid whose a lefty and throws hard with a prototypical "pitchers"frame, this looks like a nice signing, I wonder how he would have fit into a typical draft board. Depending on the money (says he took less to come to Boston) this seems like the kind of move that good farm systems make.

Agreed, he cerainly could add more leg drive to that delivery.

#20 SydneySox

• SoSH Member

• 9,258 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:02 PM

I shall call him... "Bloodbath" McGrath.

Won't work. We, like the Irish, pronounce McGrath as McGrar.

So you'll have to call him Bloodbar McGrath.

#21 MrNewEngland

• 37 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:11 PM

Rafael Nadal is the same.

So does Jon Lester.

#22 rembrat

• SoSH Member

• 23,547 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:54 PM

And the worst off-season ever continues.

#23 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:04 PM

http://www.smh.com.a...0208-1rf0x.html

$400K

#24 The Allented Mr Ripley

• holden

• 9,173 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:59 PM

Bostonians can legitimately get away with Bonesaw McGrath, then.

#25 steveluck7

• 1,150 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:10 PM

Jerry Remy certainly can. It'll fit right in after he reads the spot for A-mee-kerr insurance

#26 SydneySox

• SoSH Member

• 9,258 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:22 PM

This will definitely work.

Bonsar Magrar

#27 Sprowl

• mikey lowell of the sandbox

• 21,281 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:01 PM

This will definitely work.

Bonsar Magrar

Isn't it a little early for Talk-like-a-pirate Day?

#28 Rudy Pemberton

• Just a string of characters

• 28,383 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:06 PM

Our best aussie prospect since james alsbury?

#29 Rough Carrigan

• reasons within Reason

• 16,817 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:55 PM

Oceania? We've always been at war with Oceania!

#30 Freddy Linn

• SoSH Member

• 6,265 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:42 PM

So does Jon Lester.

Further research shows Billy Wagner was righty as a kid, broke his pitching arm, and switched to lefty. Everything else is righty.

Mickelson plays golf and bats lefty but is a righty.

#31 Papelbon's Poutine

• SoSH Member

• 5,898 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:16 PM

Mickelson plays golf and bats lefty but is a righty.

He mirrored his dad's swing as a kid, literally standing across from him and copying it. He can play golf right handed as well.

#32 Orel Miraculous

• 1,515 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:10 PM

Game 1 of the ABL Championship starting now on MLB Network. Not sure if McGrath is active though.

#33 HangingW/ScottCooper

• 1,062 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:12 PM

To all those looking for a nickname... what about Sugar Ray?

#34 shepard50

• 4,496 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:48 AM

Interesting that the article neglects to note that Jon Deeble doesn't just work for the Sox, he's the National Coach of the Australian team a well. It's a little bit of info, but a fairly relevant one when it comes to this sort of thing, because Deeble would have been around this kid for a long time.

Just to reinforce this point: from the ABL Aces news site

There was no doubt in his mind that Boston were the best fit.
"It was an easy decision in the end. Jon Deeble called us and my mum said we'd let him know within ten minutes and she called him back twenty seconds later."

We should hire Hire College Coaches as Red Sox scouts.

#35 AlNipper49

• Huge Member

• 34,611 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:31 AM

From lurker "John"

Hi there

Just a lurker from New Zealand here who saw the following article on ESPN today:

http://espn.go.com/b...ive-without-pap

There is more on Mark Melancon’s recent visit to New Zealand in the national daily “The New Zealand Herald” here:

http://www.baseballn...con-pitching-in

Maybe visiting our fair shores is a good omen for MLB baseball players as Curtis Granderson did so last year – and though he is with the hated Yankees he his break out year.

I tried joining up a couple of times at SOSH, but never did get a reply. Has there been a change of process?

I’m quite a Celtics fan also and wanted to send something in about Steven Adams, who is seen as a legit chance, as a NBA centre. He is attending the University of Pittsburgh this year:

http://www.nzherald....jectid=10776226

He is the younger brother of Valerie Adams who is the current Olympic and World Champ in the women’s shot-put. So… he has some good genes!

Good luck to all the Boston teams.

#36 SydneySox

• SoSH Member

• 9,258 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:42 PM

Nip you racist, we're not the same place.

Regardless; Mark and his family went out there this year and Curtis Granderson this year. A good friend (my local MLB source) was with them and reported that Melancon is a fantastic guy, and Granderson too. Obviously, MLB sponsored the trip. I got a signed Melancon hat from my friend which is super-awesome and goes right to the Pool Room with my signed Javier Lopez shirt. Prized possessions.

This is part of MLB's global push, and a way to further build the ABL. New Zealand usually ends up with a team in our competitions (Wellington Phoenix in the soccer, NZ Warriors in our Rugby League etc) and the ABL does have a long term game that would potentially have an expanded competition and NZ would be an obvious place to base a team, but that's all very pie-in-the-sky because the ABL can currently only dream about being mainstream and financially comfortable enough to expand that far.

Melancon had just been traded to the Sox and this was obviously a long-planned trip. I smsed a few questions over about the trade but didn't get any inside info. He was 'excited' etc and that's all I learned. He's a smart dude and good with the media so it's no surprise he said all the right things.

#37 Troy O'Lovely

• 68 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:38 PM

Not to belabor a tangential point but didn't JD Drew throw righty and bat exclusively lefty? http://www.photofile...er/JD-Drew.html Check out which hand his glove is on.

#38 Sausage in Section 17

• Poker Champ

• 695 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:00 PM

Throwing righty and batting lefty isn't unusual at all, though the reverse is quite rare.

What others were finding remarkable was that he pitches and writes using different hands.

#39 Lose Remerswaal

• Leaves after the 8th inning

• 22,575 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:17 PM

Edited by Lose Remerswaal, 06 March 2012 - 06:18 PM.

#40 Lose Remerswaal

• Leaves after the 8th inning

• 22,575 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:18 PM

Like, ohhhh, Yaz? (BL TR)

#41 OttoC

• SoSH Member

• 7,388 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:39 PM

BR TR -- 10175
BL TL -- 2552
BR TL --513
BL TR -- 1912
BB TR -- 898
BB TL -- 175

Baseball-databank.org's database: does not include players who made their debuts in 2011 (I haven't updated yet).

#42 snowmanny

• 2,577 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:11 PM

Like, ohhhh, Yaz? (BL TR)

Or Ted.