Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

SOSH

OK we're back on our main server.  It was taking a super long time to move *everything* back just to save a day's worth of messages.  I've been at this all day now and need to get back to my real job so.,... sorry.  Working on a better plan in case this happens again.  nip

Photo

How excited are you for the upcoming season?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
161 replies to this topic

Poll: How excited are you for the upcoming season? (402 member(s) have cast votes)

How excited are you for the upcoming season?

1. Very Excited (77 votes [21.21%])

Percentage of vote: 21.21%

2. Excited (86 votes [23.69%])

Percentage of vote: 23.69%

3. Somewhat Excited (114 votes [31.40%])

Percentage of vote: 31.40%

4. Not Excited At All (86 votes [23.69%])

Percentage of vote: 23.69%

Compared to a typical season, how excited are you?

1. More excited than usual (24 votes [6.61%])

Percentage of vote: 6.61%

2. As excited as usual (128 votes [35.26%])

Percentage of vote: 35.26%

3. Less excited than usual (211 votes [58.13%])

Percentage of vote: 58.13%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#151 Pumpsie

• The Kilimanjaro of bullshit

• 10570 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:12 PM

If he had Rey Ordonez and his 0.289 career OBP bunting in the 8th inning of a 1-run game with a guy on first, I wouldn't call it "giving up outs". I would call it trying to maximize the value of the out you're going to get anyways. Game situations matter, despite the claims of the "never bunt" crowd.

Yup. I think that when people pull out numbers from decades ago, to try to predict what Bobby V is going to do with THIS team, they also have to go back and look at the roster that he had to work with then. It was pretty crappy and he got the most out of it. The bottom of the line-up was just awful (and that awfulness was accentuated with a pitcher batting ninth.) Using Ordonez to bunt in those years in close and late situations was the way to go, trust me. He's not going to have David Ortiz bunting in the third inning this year. He'll figure out what his best moves (or non-moves) are.

#152 nvalvo

• SoSH Member

• 6541 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:24 PM

Yup. I think that when people pull out numbers from decades ago, to try to predict what Bobby V is going to do with THIS team, they also have to go back and look at the roster that he had to work with then. It was pretty crappy and he got the most out of it. The bottom of the line-up was just awful (and that awfulness was accentuated with a pitcher batting ninth.) Using Ordonez to bunt in those years in close and late situations was the way to go, trust me. He's not going to have David Ortiz bunting in the third inning this year. He'll figure out what his best moves (or non-moves) are.

That 1998 Mets team was totally bizarre. Two regulars with OPS+ above 160, three with OPS+ under 80.

#153 kartvelo

• 3665 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:12 AM

The 2012 Game Threads forum is here!

ohboyohboyohboyohboy

#154 Dewy4PrezII

• Very Intense

• 2654 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:27 AM

Unlike some, I do not believe that this is the worst off season ever as my memory goes back to the 70's, 80's and 90's. That being said, my expectations for this year are pretty low. Maybe they will surprise me and win the wild card but my gut says they are looking at another 3rd place finish in the east and it is hard to get excited about that even if it could still mean a one game playoff. The last time I felt this way was after Pedro left. Granted that was just a momentary blip and my excitement levels returned to normal once the season started...so i guess there is hope for me yet.

#155 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 18654 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:16 PM

Unlike some, I do not believe that this is the worst off season ever as my memory goes back to the 70's, 80's and 90's. That being said, my expectations for this year are pretty low. Maybe they will surprise me and win the wild card but my gut says they are looking at another 3rd place finish in the east and it is hard to get excited about that even if it could still mean a one game playoff. The last time I felt this way was after Pedro left. Granted that was just a momentary blip and my excitement levels returned to normal once the season started...so i guess there is hope for me yet.

Right, not worst offseason ever. For the 1959 season, they picked up Dick Hyde and Herb Plews (Hyde didn't stick) and Ted Williams went on to hit .254. Ted fixed it in 1960. The Globe or the Record American had a headline in the sports section one day preseason 1959 about the Red Sox doing nothing in the offseason except to acquire Hyde and Plews and are they going to fix the Sox. :bahgawd:

#156 BoSoxGent

• 99 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:18 AM

I'm really impressed with the Optimism shown by all the knowledgeable Sox fans on this Forum! It makes me pround to know Rick Pitino is alive and remembered: "The Negativity in this town SUCKS." I basically see a team that won 90 games last year WITHOUT EVEN TRYING! ThE SS will be Gold Glove Joe Church, the effort WILL be there, and the Sox will win 95+ games,and be a contender. What else could you want? The best team doesn't always win, the team that plays the best does.

Let the games begin! I'm VERY excited.

#157 Pumpsie

• The Kilimanjaro of bullshit

• 10570 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:27 AM

I'm really impressed with the Optimism shown by all the knowledgeable Sox fans on this Forum! It makes me pround to know Rick Pitino is alive and remembered: "The Negativity in this town SUCKS." I basically see a team that won 90 games last year WITHOUT EVEN TRYING! ThE SS will be Gold Glove Joe Church, the effort WILL be there, and the Sox will win 95+ games,and be a contender. What else could you want? The best team doesn't always win, the team that plays the best does.

Let the games begin! I'm VERY excited.

Yup, I'm with the Gent. Things had gotten stale on a lot of levels last year and THIS year, the cobwebs have been wiped away and everyone looks awake. New GM, new manager, new coaches, some new players, new Spring Training regimen. Hooray, and about time, too. I also love it when expectations are low for the Sox and high for the Yankees. Those years always seem to work out better than when WE'RE supposed to win 100 games...oh, like last year. I'm looking forward to reading about ST here from our faithful reporters down there. I'll bet they notice an enormous, and positive, difference from last year's sleepy, complacent camp. This should be fun, or at the very least...interesting...every step of the way.

#158 rembrat

• SoSH Member

• 20265 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:44 AM

I'll bet they notice an enormous, and positive, difference from last year's sleepy, complacent camp.

Dat confirmation bias. Serious question: Where were the reports, both here and in the media, of Francona's camps being sleepy and complacent prior to Chicken&Beer? Or are we assuming the camps weren't run hard enough because the Sox got out of the gate slowly? Which really means jackshit since a lot of good teams (Rays 2011) got off to poor starts and a lot of shit teams (O's 2011) got off to great starts.

Inb4 ScubaSteve jumps down my ass again.

#159 24JoshuaPoint

• Grand Theft Duvet

• 3122 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:04 AM

My excitement with baseball seems to be growing with each crappy loss by the Celtics. But yes, i'm excited to just see games regardless of W or L. I guess I feel like an Orioles fan until Chicken-Beer-gate is finally in the rear view mirror.

#160 JimD

• 4404 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:21 PM

With spring training underway and lost of Red Sox articles to peruse each morning, I have to admit that my excitement level is surprisingly close to how I'd feel most years at this time. September 2011 is far from forgotten but it's definitely receding in the rear-view mirror.

#161 tims4wins

• PN23's replacement

• 6322 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:22 PM

With spring training underway and lost of Red Sox articles to peruse each morning, I have to admit that my excitement level is surprisingly close to how I'd feel most years at this time. September 2011 is far from forgotten but it's definitely receding in the rear-view mirror.

Ditto this. Especially seeing the pictures... it means spring is around the corner, and it brings a smile to my face. I've already looked at the schedule to see what early regular season games will be on national tv (especially day games).

#162 BTwnDreamin

• 1207 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:54 PM

Dat confirmation bias. Serious question: Where were the reports, both here and in the media, of Francona's camps being sleepy and complacent prior to Chicken&Beer? Or are we assuming the camps weren't run hard enough because the Sox got out of the gate slowly? Which really means jackshit since a lot of good teams (Rays 2011) got off to poor starts and a lot of shit teams (O's 2011) got off to great starts.

Inb4 ScubaSteve jumps down my ass again.

Just the fact that pitchers weren't required to throw to a base and there was a lot of standing around where I've read the contrary this year. They are using smaller groups for each station, compared to larger groups on the past in the past, so players are getting more reps and are now required to move swiftly (read - slow jog / run) from station to station.

The throwing thing, although I understand it (because its a long season and you want to save the pitchers' arms), but how can you get used to throwing to a base if you're not actually throwing...? Honestly, I remember a lot of careless errors, mind you, not just by our pitchers.

I've played the sport (in my heyday) and if I didn't repeat the act of actually throwing to a base, be it a pick-off or a comebacker et.al., then I'd be more apt to make mistakes more often-than-naught.

Also, I used to wonder why our coach ran us all through the season. Our constant joke was that we could beat the track team in a race, but I realized later (maybe a lot later) that it was becaue baseball is inherantly a long-season with a lot of down time and you need to continue to condition yourself to stay at the top of your game (and to keep from injuring yourself) no matter the postion you play...but especially as a pitcher.

Its all about stamina and repetition and this team got complacent in the end.

Edited by BTwnDreamin, 22 February 2012 - 02:55 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users