Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

SOSH

OK we're back on our main server.  It was taking a super long time to move *everything* back just to save a day's worth of messages.  I've been at this all day now and need to get back to my real job so.,... sorry.  Working on a better plan in case this happens again.  nip

Photo

Pro Bowl May Be Eliminated

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 bsj

• Renegade Crazed Genius

• 15332 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:46 AM

Honestly, they may have no choice. It's an embarrassment. Now...that said, I think they should have SOMETHING. I have always said that I think the best thing would be some sort of a skills competition that allows participants at each position to compete for the chance to earn real MONEY if they win. Sort of like an expanded QB challenge. It may become more of a TV event...although I suspect they could sell tickets if it was done right (think the NHL skills competition, or NBA slam dunk/3 point deal)...plus, I think guys would actually go to Hawaii for that. Only problem is...not quite sure what the events would be for some of the linemen...

http://espn.go.com/n...l-consideration

#2 pappymojo

• 1263 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:05 AM

I say just introduce the players at the Super Bowl half time.

#3 dynomite

• 4325 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:09 AM

Only problem is...not quite sure what the events would be for some of the linemen...

First of all, I'm not sure if there's anything that would make me watch. The NBA dunk competition and the MLB Home Run Derby are gold standard of a "skills" concept, and even those are kind of a bore.

Second, I think you can get creative. For instance:

1) Kickers could have a game of HORSE
2) Non-kicker kicking competition
3) Wide receivers catching water balloons

For the offensive linemen, you could go one of two routes: silly or strong.

In terms of silly, have them play 2-on-2 or 3-on-3 flag football (yes, Robert Edwards, not on sand). Would be kind of hilarious to watch Matt Light try to get open against Jahri Evans as Logan Mankins tries to throw it to him. Or you could have offensive linemen "captains" pick events, like each one of the starting five competes in 1 event (long toss, accuracy toss, punting, kicking, bench press, etc.) and it's up to the captains to assign each of their 5.

In terms of strong, think World's Strongest Man competition, i.e. Truck Pulls, Tug-of-War, Hercules Hold,

Do you think people would tune in to watch this?

#4 I12XU

• 2973 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:09 AM

I'd love it if they did what the NHL did this year. The schoolyard picking of teams by captains, resulting in some interesting matchups could be interesting. Wilfork sacking Brady for example.

#5 SMU_Sox

• loves his fluffykins

• 4628 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:14 AM

Dynomite, I'd watch that. My wife would watch that. We would both prefer a skills competition to a pro bowl. Seeing QBs throw balls through tires from a set distance, having wide receivers catch water balloons (filled with dyed water?), and having offensive linemen in a dance off sounds like a blast.

#6 DegenerateSoxFan

• 732 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:14 AM

I say just introduce the players at the Super Bowl half time.

This. Scrap a game means nothing. Bring then out as the "NFL All Pro Team," or something like that. They could show highlights of each player while introducing them. I'd enjoy that. They could even do it prior to the game so as not to cut into the halftime bit.

#7 BucketOBalls

• SoSH Member

• 5643 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:36 AM

First of all, I'm not sure if there's anything that would make me watch. The NBA dunk competition and the MLB Home Run Derby are gold standard of a "skills" concept, and even those are kind of a bore.

Second, I think you can get creative. For instance:

1) Kickers could have a game of HORSE
2) Non-kicker kicking competition
3) Wide receivers catching water balloons

For the offensive linemen, you could go one of two routes: silly or strong.

In terms of silly, have them play 2-on-2 or 3-on-3 flag football (yes, Robert Edwards, not on sand). Would be kind of hilarious to watch Matt Light try to get open against Jahri Evans as Logan Mankins tries to throw it to him. Or you could have offensive linemen "captains" pick events, like each one of the starting five competes in 1 event (long toss, accuracy toss, punting, kicking, bench press, etc.) and it's up to the captains to assign each of their 5.

In terms of strong, think World's Strongest Man competition, i.e. Truck Pulls, Tug-of-War, Hercules Hold,

Do you think people would tune in to watch this?

Just have everyone wear those inflatable sumo suits. Then they can smash into each other as much as they want and no-one can get hurt. Would be funny as hell to watch I bet.

#8 fawstahcu

• 117 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:53 AM

Aren't there still bonus clauses in players' contracts for making the Pro Bowl? How would those be handled?

#9 MentalDisabldLst

• Prefers spit over lube

• 12808 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:55 AM

I just want to point out we didn't even have a gamethread for the Pro Bowl this year. Shit, we had a gamethread for the coming of the Rapture.

#10 pappymojo

• 1263 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 01:37 PM

This. Scrap a game means nothing. Bring then out as the "NFL All Pro Team," or something like that. They could show highlights of each player while introducing them. I'd enjoy that. They could even do it prior to the game so as not to cut into the halftime bit.

Pregame ceremony makes sense in case one of the players was playing in the game. Could have honory captains for the coin toss and the like. It would be extra great as a backhanded celebration in-your-face kind of way. "Yeah, great, you made the All Pro list but you're not playing for the super bowl. You'll have to work harder next year."

Imagine how great that would have been in 2001. Or during Dan Marino's career.

#11 Youkilis vs Wild

• 291 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 01:54 PM

Aren't there still bonus clauses in players' contracts for making the Pro Bowl? How would those be handled?

If you're voted in/chosen as a "Pro Bowler," you get the money, regardless of whether or not there's a game. All-Star games, across sports, have always to me been more about honoring players who had great seasons more so than seeing them play a meaningless game.

Because it adds an element of meaning to the game, I actually am a strong advocate for the Home Field Advantage element of MLB's All-Star Game. I know I'm in the minority around here on that one.

#12 Homar

• 61 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:02 PM

They are going to eliminate the Pro Bowl?

How will anyone know if they do?

#13 PseuFighter

• Silent scenester

• 7711 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:05 PM

Wilfork sacking Brady for example.

do you really believe this would happen?

#14 Rudy Pemberton

• just plum doesn't understand

• 27049 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:16 PM

I'm skeptical that they'll eliminate the Pro Bowl, for as much as people bitch about it, it pulls in a great rating, beating most games of the WS. Ridiculous. Although, it may be at the point where the money the league makes from it isn't worth the embarrassment.

Frankly, I'd love it if they did away with all-star games in every sport. Pointless wastes of time that just interrupt the season.

#15 Rough Carrigan

• reasons within Reason

• 16316 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:54 PM

I'd love it if they did what the NHL did this year. The schoolyard picking of teams by captains, resulting in some interesting matchups could be interesting. Wilfork sacking Brady for example.

Yeah, but the actual NHL all star game has devolved into a ridiculous defense free joke.

#16 kenneycb

• Hates Goose Island Beer; Loves Backdoor Play

• 6881 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:12 PM

Yeah, but the actual NHL all star game has devolved into a ridiculous defense free joke.

So it's just like any other All-Star game?

#17 snowmanny

• 2022 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:44 PM

If you're voted in/chosen as a "Pro Bowler," you get the money, regardless of whether or not
there's a game. All-Star games, across sports, have always to me been more about honoring players who had great seasons more so than seeing them play a meaningless game.

That's not quite true, I think. My understanding of the MLB All-Star bonuses was that the player had to attend the festivities the day before the game in order to get the $. It was part performance bonus and part marketing pay.

#18 SemperFidelisSox

• suzyn

• 9291 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:47 PM

Why not put the game on at 1pm on Super Bowl Sunday?

#19 FenwayFrenzy

• 1201 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 12:45 AM

Assuming you still have it in Hawaii, isn't it 8am there? Also the network carrying the super bowl probably doesn't want it's pregame coverage overlapping with the event.

(null)

#20 Youkilis vs Wild

• 291 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:24 AM

That's not quite true, I think. My understanding of the MLB All-Star bonuses was that the player had to attend the festivities the day before the game in order to get the $. It was part performance bonus and part marketing pay.

Sure, and I'd imagine the same holds true for the NFL. But I sort of figure that if they cancel the Pro Bowl, they can still hand out the bonuses for making the Pro Bowl squad, perhaps only if they attend the Super Bowl pregame or halftime festivities. Obviously, this isn't a small move (even if no one will care about it); adjustments would have to be made in terms of how players are recognized and how they're paid.

#21 THE Stolen Base

• 34 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:47 AM

Roger: I've got a problem, Bud. The players don't seem interested in playing all out in the Pro Bowl. How can I make this game more meaningful?

Bud: I have a great idea. Award home field advantage in the Super Bowl to the team whose conference wins the Pro Bowl.

Roger: That's genius.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users