Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Underwood Released... Ocho a Go?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
82 replies to this topic

#51 soxhop411

• SoSH Member

• 10127 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:07 PM

jeffphoweTiquan Underwood's agent, Ethan Lock, told me the Patriots did not give Lock an explanation for why Underwood was released.

is it against the rules for the giants to call him at his room and get info on pats?

#52 Mystic Merlin

• SoSH Member

• 21582 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:09 PM

I don't know, but I doubt Underwood has much interest in hurting his chances at getting a Super Bowl ring.

#53 CaptainLaddie

• dj paul pfieffer

• 22781 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:10 PM

I suspect they informed him that he'd be allowed to take part in all celebrations etc as well as be invited to training camp.

He's not going to make it over Ocho, and they obviously needed an extra DL. Sucks for him, but the only real explanation for me.

#54 ShaneTrot

• 4470 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:25 PM

Gronk plays on the kick return and FG team. I wonder if they wanted a big guy to take his place on those units as well as having back up at DE/OLB.

(null)

#55 Jungleland

• 593 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:30 PM

I suspect they informed him that he'd be allowed to take part in all celebrations etc as well as be invited to training camp.

He's not going to make it over Ocho, and they obviously needed an extra DL. Sucks for him, but the only real explanation for me.

Yup. If they wanted another guy up, it makes a lot more sense to let go of a bubble player who is at best a long shot to be on the team next year. When the inactives list is gonna have guys like Mallet and Vereen on it, there are only a very small handful of players that could have been let go to no real detriment to the team.

#56 axx

• 4962 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:40 PM

He's not going to make it over Ocho

Which has to be a surprise, no? Ocho had 1 snap in the Broncos game and was inactive in the Ravens game. Underwood did only have 11 in the two games though.

#57 mcpickl

• 2084 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:47 PM

I'm guessing this move is just for next season.I believe Silvestro ending the season on the 53 man roster makes him an exclusive free agent under Patriots control. If he's on the practice squad he's a complete free agent and can sign anywhere he wants.

Could be wrong about that, but I believe that's the case. Couldn't find anything online to confirm this.

#58 EddieYost

• has a special friend in GHoff

• 4337 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:55 PM

I'm guessing this move is just for next season.I believe Silvestro ending the season on the 53 man roster makes him an exclusive free agent under Patriots control. If he's on the practice squad he's a complete free agent and can sign anywhere he wants.

Could be wrong about that, but I believe that's the case. Couldn't find anything online to confirm this.

Boy that sounds really familiar. Seems like they did something like that in the past.

#59 PayrodsFirstClutchHit

• 3002 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:58 PM

The Jets just signed Underwood and made him an honorary offseason captain.

#60 kenneycb

• Hates Goose Island Beer; Loves Backdoor Play

• 7242 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:20 PM

Boy that sounds really familiar. Seems like they did something like that in the past.

Wasn't Lawfirm something like that when his contract came up?

#61 DannyHeep

• well trained post artisan

• 17285 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:20 PM

It would actually be hilarious if BB gave him a fake plan.

He's no Greg Brady.

#62 E5 Yaz

• Transcends message boarding

• 25570 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:23 PM

He's no Greg Brady.

BARRY WILLIAMS, Greg Brady on "The Brady Bunch": New England, 31-17. As the seventh and youngest Brady, Tom is a classic and a winner.

#63 mcpickl

• 2084 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:33 PM

They did it with Santonio Thomas the night before the last Giants-Pats Super Bowl.

#64 9TW9

• 42 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:35 PM

Im most likely crazy, but why do i feel Ochco will have the best game of his career tom?

Gee, let me take a stab.. I may be venturing too far out on this limb but I would assume it has something to do with you being a Patriot fan? He is a bum. Let me guess, it was all part of BB's undeniable genius to save this sad-sack for precisely this moment? He didn't need him against a nasty Ravens secondary to take the heat off Gronk and Welker?

#65 Ed Hillel

• Wants to be startin somethin

• 42296 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:50 PM

Well, that and he was at his father's funeral.

#66 Mystic Merlin

• SoSH Member

• 21582 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:56 PM

This thread could be going in a better direction.

Don't make me pull over and reach back there.

#67 Ed Hillel

• Wants to be startin somethin

• 42296 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:00 PM

Are we there yet?

#68 soxhop411

• SoSH Member

• 10127 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:02 PM

Gee, let me take a stab.. I may be venturing too far out on this limb but I would assume it has something to do with you being a Patriot fan? He is a bum. Let me guess, it was all part of BB's undeniable genius to save this sad-sack for precisely this moment? He didn't need him against a nasty Ravens secondary to take the heat off Gronk and Welker?

he was at his FATHERS FUNERAL

#69 Jnai

• is not worried about sex with goats

• 9404 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:05 PM

Why do I even start threads anymore? There should be a SoSH prop bet for posts until a thread turns to shit.

#70 soxhop411

• SoSH Member

• 10127 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:08 PM

Why do I even start threads anymore? There should be a SoSH prop bet for posts until a thread turns to shit.

both of us made the Underwood released thread at the exact same time. but i like your threads better

#71 JimBoSox9

• will you be my friend?

• 12580 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:22 PM

he was at his FATHERS FUNERAL

Fucking Christians. It's the playoffs, dammit.

#72 E5 Yaz

• 25570 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:46 PM

Reiss

1. This seems harsh to Underwood, who by most accounts is a great kid.
At the same time, the move is consistent with how the Patriots have managed their roster all year, making a lot of moves the day before a game based on needs for that contest.

2. Underwood should be back in 2012, if he wants. This is not a disciplinary based decision, according to a source. The team likes him. Underwood has been the team's third, fourth or fifth receiver this year and has played sparingly.

3. Wouldn't be surprised if this is special teams based for this game.
Injured tight end Rob Gronkowski plays in the wedge on special teams and the team might want to lessen his load there, given his high ankle sprain, and Silvestro can step in.

4. This should mean Chad Ochocinco is active.

5. In a longer than normal game, one that is also played indoors, keeping players fresh figures to be important. Silvestro adds depth as part of a possible rotation.

#73 drleather2001

• given himself a skunk spot

• 14339 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 01:55 AM

Do people really think that the giants would shake up their plan of two weeks NOW after talking to a 2nd string receiver?

#74 Salva135

• Cassandra

• 1143 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:41 AM

Any chance Tiquan got the call he was cut, made a copy of two different game plans, and a Giants' assistant came to his room threatening him for the real game plan, and he switched the disks... with the real one residing in BB's hotel safe the entire time.

Edited by Salva135, 05 February 2012 - 03:01 AM.

#75 ibrewbeer

• 1914 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:04 AM

I work with Silversto's dad. He's got to be pumped and jacked today

#76 pjr

• 454 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:50 AM

jeffphoweTiquan Underwood's agent, Ethan Lock, told me the Patriots did not give Lock an explanation for why Underwood was released.

is it against the rules for the giants to call him at his room and get info on pats?

According to Ian Rappaport the Giants can't claim him because the transaction was made on a saturday.

#77 Lose Remerswaal

• Leaves after the 8th inning

• 22481 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:15 AM

According to Ian Rappaport the Giants can't claim him because the transaction was made on a saturday.

Shabbos rules!

#78 axx

• 4962 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:49 AM

http://espn.go.com/b...-eve-super-bowl

Underwood is going to get his salary for the game and a ring if the Patriots win. And yes, it looks like the decision on when to cut him was to ensure he didn't end up on the Giants.

#79 Mark Schofield

• SoSH Member

• 14282 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:50 AM

Any chance Tiquan got the call he was cut, made a copy of two different game plans, and a Giants' assistant came to his room threatening him for the real game plan, and he switched the disks... with the real one residing in BB's hotel safe the entire time.

Posted Image

#80 E5 Yaz

• 25570 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 01:20 PM

"I don't want to be a distraction to the game or the New England Patriots.....i will say this, The New England Patriots are a GREAT Organization. I wish them nothing but the best today. This season has been dedicated to Myra Kraft (MHK) Mr Kraft's wife....w/ that being said i hope they pull out the victory in honor of her & because the coaches & players have worked so hard this season for the opportunity to play in Super Bowl 46. Go Pats!!!! #PatsNation"

http://espn.go.com/b...-be-distraction

#81 drleather2001

• given himself a skunk spot

• 14339 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 01:32 PM

Aww.

#82 Corsi

• isn't shy about blowing his wad early

• 9804 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:26 PM

The Patriots created some major waves on the night before their Super Bowl XLVI loss to the Giants. They released WR Tiquan Underwood, for reasons that were not disciplinary. The word was that they needed defensive line depth, and they promoted DE Alex Silvestro to great public outcry.

Now, I am told, Underwood will be back.

The team will announce a list of some futures contracts for 2012 later today, and Underwood will be on it. That was what the thought process was when he was released, and now it’s reality.

http://www.bostonher...rwood-for-2012/

#83 soxhop411

• SoSH Member

• 10127 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:44 PM

http://www.bostonher...rwood-for-2012/

very clever by the pats