Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Did Josh Hamilton have a relapse?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
186 replies to this topic

#1 soxhop411

• SoSH Member

• 9900 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:55 PM

http://rangersblog.d...hamilton-h.html

I really hope this is not true, and I am sending my prayers to him to get over this :(

#2 RSN Diaspora

• molests goats for comedy

• 5185 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:25 PM

http://rangersblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2012/02/source-rangers-josh-hamilton-h.html

I really hope this is not true, and I am sending my prayers to him to get over this :(

Thoughts and prayers are definitely in order.

#3 teddywingman

• Looks like Zach Galifianakis

• 3411 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:35 PM

and hookers and blow.

#4 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30161 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:03 PM

Kinsler was apparently with him according to people who were in the bar......

ARE YOU KIDDING ME

#5 Corsi

• isn't shy about blowing his wad early

• 9612 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:33 PM

ARE YOU KIDDING ME

Yeah, that's BAD. What the hell are you thinking Kinsler?

#6 moondog80

• heart is two sizes two small

• 1635 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:35 PM

I wish him well, but is anyone going to sign this guy long term (he's a FA after this year)? He's JD Drew with relapse potential added to the equation.

Edited by moondog80, 02 February 2012 - 10:35 PM.

#7 BroodsSexton

• 4797 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:38 PM

The upside, major league ballplayer. The downside, you can't drinking a fucking beer without it becoming a national news story. I don't care how much of a drunk you are, that sucks.

#8 rembrat

• SoSH Member

• 23114 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:50 PM

Can you really blame him for having a drink? Ron Washington just signed an extension.

#9 SoxFanInPdx

• 1680 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:59 PM

After what happened last season with the ball toss in the stands and losing the World Series in heartbreaking fashion, I'm not shocked. Hell, I'd probably have a few too.

edit: double post

Edited by SoxFanInPdx, 02 February 2012 - 11:01 PM.

#10 SoxFanInPdx

• 1680 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:59 PM

After what happened last season with the ball toss in the stands and losing the World Series in heartbreaking fashion, I'm not shocked. Hell, I'd probably have a few too.

#11 soxhop411

• SoSH Member

• 9900 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:28 PM

ARE YOU KIDDING ME

RT @jonmorosi Gerry Fraley reporting Ian Kinsler was at the bar in an apparent attempt to persuade Josh Hamilton to return hom

#12 Rough Carrigan

• reasons within Reason

• 16548 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:34 PM

Gee, I thought they had to convert all drinks in a bar to ginger ale before they were allowed to have Josh Hamilton grace their premises. One molecule of alcohol touching him was supposed to turn him into a casting dream for a remake of The Lost Weekend, wasn't it?

If this doesn't result in his entire life immediately falling apart, will the Rangers be allowed to have beer and champagne at any future clinching parties?

Edited by Rough Carrigan, 02 February 2012 - 11:36 PM.

#13 soxhop411

• SoSH Member

• 9900 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:42 PM

RT @JeffWilson_FWST: Sources say Ian Kinsler received a call from Josh Hamilton and went to bar out of concern.

uggh

#14 Sampo Gida

• 3128 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:53 PM

He lost his accountability partner, said he did not think he still needed one after his father in law backed out.

http://espn.go.com/d...ks-support-role

#15 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 11513 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:54 PM

Not sure if he still does this but Kiefer Sutherland used to have a guy follow him around when he drank to make sure he didn't get too sloshed to film "24". Hamilton probably needs something similar.

#16 Three10toLeft

• 772 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:03 AM

Man, get the fuck outta here.

An "accountability partner"? This guy is a grown man... My comments may seem harsh but I truly have a hard time believing alcoholism and addiction is truly a "disease". He's an adult, it's outlandish to think he needs someone watching his every move to make sure he doesn't relapse.

This guy is a joke.

#17 soxhop411

• SoSH Member

• 9900 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:06 AM

Man, get the fuck outta here.

An "accountability partner"? This guy is a grown man... My comments may seem harsh but I truly have a hard time believing alcoholism and addiction is truly a "disease". He's an adult, it's outlandish to think he needs someone watching his every move to make sure he doesn't relapse.

This guy is a joke.

are you insane? do you know all the shit Hamilton has been through? i guess not

#18 Three10toLeft

• 772 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:11 AM

are you insane? do you know all the shit Hamilton has been through? i guess not

Uhhh... Maybe I don't know the full story, but I'm pretty sure I do.

Granted the incident where the guy fell from the stands must have been an incredibly difficult thing to deal with, this isn't the first time that Josh Hamilton has relapsed. What was the cause of his relapse in 2009?

This guy has been cut enough slack throughout his career. It sucks that he relapsed, I'm not wishing it on him. But the fact that people send thoughts and prayers out to someone who is solely responsible for their destructive lifestyle doesn't garner much sympathy from me.

#19 soxhop411

• SoSH Member

• 9900 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:13 AM

Uhhh... Maybe I don't know the full story, but I'm pretty sure I do.

Granted the incident where the guy fell from the stands must have been an incredibly difficult thing to deal with, this isn't the first time that Josh Hamilton has relapsed. What was the cause of his relapse in 2009?

This guy has been cut enough slack throughout his career. It sucks that he relapsed, I'm not wishing it on him. But the fact that people send thoughts and prayers out to someone who is solely responsible for their destructive lifestyle doesn't garner much sympathy from me.

uh no. do you know his full story, from when he was drafted by TB to now? and all the shit he has been through and overcome shit, none of us would most likely NOT overcome

Edited by soxhop411, 03 February 2012 - 12:15 AM.

#20 The_Powa_of_Seiji_Ozawa

• 4123 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:18 AM

This could be the most costly night of boozing in history.

#21 Three10toLeft

• 772 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:18 AM

uh no. do you know his full story, from when he was drafted by TB to now? and all the shit he has been through and overcome shit, none of us could most likely NOT overcome?

What are you talking about?????

He was drafted in '99 and began his drug and alcohol abuse while rehabbing injuries that shortened his season. The only other hardship that I could find was the fact that he and his parents were involved in some car accident, but his parents made a full recovery from their injuries. Like I said, this was all brought upon himself through his own actions.

Boo hoo

#22 BucketOBalls

• SoSH Member

• 5644 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:19 AM

He lost his accountability partner, said he did not think he still needed one after his father in law backed out.

http://espn.go.com/d...ks-support-role

At first I thought this said "blacked out".

If he need an acountability partner...why is he going to bars? To bad for him Kinsler isn't as good away from home.

#23 soxhop411

• SoSH Member

• 9900 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:20 AM

What are you talking about?????

He was drafted in '99 and began his drug and alcohol abuse while rehabbing injuries that shortened his season. The only other hardship that I could find was the fact that he and his parents were involved in some car accident, but his parents made a full recovery from their injuries. Like I said, this was all brought upon himself through his own actions.

Boo hoo

did you read his book. He almost ended up dead a dozen times due to his drug/ alcohol abuse. Thats why this is such a big deal. he almost ended up banned From baseball, he tried almost every drug imaginable etc. thats why he needs someone to help him and thats why he has HAD someone to help him his WHOLE CAREER

Edited by soxhop411, 03 February 2012 - 12:21 AM.

#24 Three10toLeft

• 772 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:21 AM

If he need an acountability partner...why is he going to bars? To bad for him Kinsler isn't as good away from home.

Posted Image

#25 teddywingman

• 3411 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:21 AM

Last time he fell off the wagon there were pictures. Pictures with strumpets.
Then he won the MVP.

this is already disappointing.

#26 Three10toLeft

• 772 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:22 AM

did you read his book. He almost ended up dead a dozen times due to his drug/ alcohol abuse. Thats why this is such a big deal

LOL

Okay, it's pointless to keep arguing this issue.

#27 soxhop411

• SoSH Member

• 9900 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:23 AM

LOL

Okay, it's pointless to keep arguing this issue.

let me ask you, have you had to go through the hardships josh has gone through? if not you shouldn't be talking because you don't know how hard it is for someone with the issues josh has. (i had a friend who had similar issues). And i worked at a rehab center for volunteer work. your being EXTREMELY IGNORANT, about someone who has an addiction

Edited by soxhop411, 03 February 2012 - 12:27 AM.

#28 Jettisoned

• 408 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:24 AM

truly have a hard time believing alcoholism and addiction is truly a "disease". He's an adult, it's outlandish to think he needs someone watching his every move to make sure he doesn't relapse.

This guy is a joke.

This is a pretty ignorant thing to say. That's why it's called addiction: the body craves it so much that it's extremely difficult to stop it. It's not the same as a little fat kid who can't stop eating potato chips.

#29 rembrat

• SoSH Member

• 23114 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:29 AM

Yea, poor form 310. Next you'll tell me people with depression just have to pick themselves up by their bootstraps and toughen up.

Great job on the Kinsler line, Bucket. Brilliant.

#30 Sampo Gida

• 3128 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:34 AM

Presumably the accountability partner would prevent him from going to bars. ,

#31 teddywingman

• 3411 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:34 AM

but yeah, thoughts and prayers to Josh. I hope he doesn't wind up sleeping on the street in a cardboard box like those other pathetic addicts---contract year and all.

#32 Three10toLeft

• 772 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:35 AM

This is a pretty ignorant thing to say. That's why it's called addiction: the body craves it so much that it's extremely difficult to stop it. It's not the same as a little fat kid who can't stop eating potato chips.

I'm not disputing the fact that he's an addict. I'm sure addiction is a very hard thing to kick, that doesn't even need to be said. All I am saying is that I don't think it's a disease. He has clearly been given some incredible gifts in life, but to feel sympathy for someone who continues to throw it all away by doing the same self destructive actions doesn't make me feel bad for him.

#33 Three10toLeft

• 772 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:41 AM

Yea, poor form 310. Next you'll tell me people with depression just have to pick themselves up by their bootstraps and toughen up.

Great job on the Kinsler line, Bucket. Brilliant.

No, I don't feel that way at all.

I've been depressed before, a period of time I dreaded the thought of leaving my house. I went to therapy once every couple weeks for about 3 straight years to work out my own problems. One of the biggest things I learned throughout that process was that everyone has issues. It sucks that Josh Hamilton brought this upon himself, but that's just what he did. He brought them upon himself. I actually have more sympathy for people who suffer from depression/anxiety then I do for people who use drugs/alcohol as a crutch. Although, I guess it could be said they are somewhat interrelated.

I recognize that this may seem as a contradiction to some... I just don't feel much sympathy for addicts who continue to relapse.

edit: Sorry for the double post.

Edited by Three10toLeft, 03 February 2012 - 12:41 AM.

#34 teddywingman

• 3411 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:42 AM

I'm not disputing the fact that he's an addict. I'm sure addiction is a very hard thing to kick, that doesn't even need to be said. All I am saying is that I don't think it's a disease. He has clearly been given some incredible gifts in life, but to feel sympathy for someone who continues to throw it all away by doing the same self destructive actions doesn't make me feel bad for him.

I need a drink.

#35 Jettisoned

• 408 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:14 AM

You know, the biggest problem for most idiots is that they don't know they're idiots. Now you don't have that problem, because you're an idiot.

#36 Rough Carrigan

• reasons within Reason

• 16548 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:15 AM

let me ask you, have you had to go through the hardships josh has gone through? if not you shouldn't be talking because you don't know how hard it is for someone with the issues josh has. (i had a friend who had similar issues). And i worked at a rehab center for volunteer work. your being EXTREMELY IGNORANT, about someone who has an addiction

In 310's defense, how the hell is it that the Rangers are not supposed to have ANY alcohol at a division or league clinching celebration, they have to spray and drink ginger ale lest a drop get on godboy Hamilton, but he feels perfectly entitled to go waltzing into bars when the whim strikes him? I'm not sure if this was 310's point but it kind of seems like Hamilton expects the world to accomodate him to an unusual degree.

Edited by Rough Carrigan, 03 February 2012 - 01:16 AM.

#37 Rasputin

• Will outlive SeanBerry

• 26056 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:19 AM

I hope he doesn't fuck up his whole life, that would kinda suck.

#38 SemperFidelisSox

• suzyn

• 10317 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:38 AM

You can see the pics when Beckett gets around to uploading them off his phone.

#39 teddywingman

• 3411 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:42 AM

In 310's defense, how the hell is it that the Rangers are not supposed to have ANY alcohol at a division or league clinching celebration, they have to spray and drink ginger ale lest a drop get on godboy Hamilton, but he feels perfectly entitled to go waltzing into bars when the whim strikes him? I'm not sure if this was 310's point but it kind of seems like Hamilton expects the world to accomodate him to an unusual degree.

I hope you don't mean that you're not going to pray for him.

#40 Three10toLeft

• 772 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:08 AM

Not entirely my point, but I do feel like he's been pretty coddled. But it's probably as much for the teams sake as it is for his own, considering he's a pretty integral part of that offense.

My main point is, how many times does this guy have to mess up before you cut ties and say "best of luck to ya". He knew full and well the consequences of going to that bar and drinking, he's already been down this road a couple times. At this point it's disgusting, and you just hope that he doesn't wind up hurting or, worse yet, killing someone else while he continues this selfish behavior.

#41 CaptainLaddie

• dj paul pfieffer

• 22680 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:25 AM

Hahahaha, this is hilarious.

#42 teddywingman

• 3411 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:40 AM

:astonished: was a very good writer.

#43 Sampo Gida

• 3128 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 05:13 AM

Not entirely my point, but I do feel like he's been pretty coddled. But it's probably as much for the teams sake as it is for his own, considering he's a pretty integral part of that offense.

My main point is, how many times does this guy have to mess up before you cut ties and say "best of luck to ya". He knew full and well the consequences of going to that bar and drinking, he's already been down this road a couple times. At this point it's disgusting, and you just hope that he doesn't wind up hurting or, worse yet, killing someone else while he continues this selfish behavior.

Who got hurt exactly? It's the off season, it's not like he was DUI, and we know how harshly those players get treated (Miguel Cabrera says hi).

Not like he was drinking in the clubhouse during a game even. :lol: .

I think the fact he obviously not able to control himself just means he needs someone to be with him to keep him out of trouble while he is under contract, and his contract has to have an opt out in case he flushes himself down the cess pool.

After he retires from MLB, he is on his own, and it may be ugly. Hopefuly he puts his money in a trust to protect it from himself and others.

#44 Wake's knuckle

• 454 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 05:50 AM

The psychology of addiction is very complicated and there are strong genetic components to it -- just look at Native Americans (and the Inuit) with alcohol. The powerful perscription drugs that are so readily available these days are ruining lots of people's lives -- including family members of mine. It's too simple to call it a weakness of character. But I agree with Sampo, this guy is in serious trouble when he's done with MLB -- unless he finds something even stronger than God and family to make him walk the line.

#45 BucketOBalls

• SoSH Member

• 5644 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:12 AM

Nolan Ryan is on the phone with Tim Tebow right now isn't he?

#46 Orel Miraculous

• 1486 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:31 AM

I want to know how the hell he got served. This was a bar in DFW, there's no way the staff didn't know who he was.

#47 Spacemans Bong

• chapeau rose

• 16413 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:32 AM

Or they decided that playing fast and loose with the sobriety of the Most Valuable Player of the American fucking League was more important than spraying Walmart Brut all over each other. Don't fuck around with your meal ticket.

Edited by Spacemans Bong, 03 February 2012 - 08:33 AM.

#48 Snowplow

• 924 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:52 AM

Oh poor Josh. The dude is a millionaire who has had more chances in life than anybody I know. I hope he ate the worm too.

Edited by Snowplow, 03 February 2012 - 08:53 AM.

#49 Lose Remerswaal

• Leaves after the 8th inning

• 22307 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:57 AM

I wish him well, but is anyone going to sign this guy long term (he's a FA after this year)? He's JD Drew with relapse potential added to the equation.

Really? I don't recall you supporting JD Drew in the last 105 threads ripping on him. Why now?

Or do you not realized Hamilton's abilities?

I need a drink.

Need a wingman?

We get it. You love the guy or feel for him or whatever. But this is SoSH, and you have to expect alternative viewpoints. Don't let them drive you crazy.

#50 rembrat

• SoSH Member

• 23114 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:57 AM

I want to know how the hell he got served. This was a bar in DFW, there's no way the staff didn't know who he was.

It is not illegal for him to order a drink.