Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Giants at Patriots-The NFL Supremacy Game

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3786 replies to this topic

#3751 bosockboy

• SoSH Member

• 7,026 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 12:57 AM

Just a collection of miscues. The safety led to nine points....the 12 men on the field that took away a turnover....the drops. Just too much to overcome.

#3752 scottyno

• 2,941 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:05 AM

Surprised BB isn't getting more heat for whiffing on the review of Manningham's catch. That TO was a big deal.

it was like a 30+ yard completiona nd the giants were running tot he line to snap the ball, in retrospect obv it sucked, but I was also screaming at the tv to challenge it, I doubt bill had time to see that on replay it was pointless

#3753 There is no Rev

• through the velvety hallway

• 23,820 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:11 AM

I did everything the same during the streak. 2 posts in the gamethread, one on Facebook. It was a great run and I love you all.

Except for Quint. I hate that cunt.

Yeah, quint really does kind of suck.

#3754 There is no Rev

• through the velvety hallway

• 23,820 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:16 AM

It was a forced error; Manning had changed the snap count specifically to draw the Pats offsides. The announcers commented on it at the time. It worked. We got played. Credit to Eli.

I'll give you that this was one of the key plays of the game. For my money, the throw to Branch on the final drive of the game was the one that will haunt me. He was open coming full steam across the middle with a deep safety frozen in his tracks, he would've gotten 40-50 yards and gotten out of bounds if he had caught that ball. Or if it had been on target and not a little bit behind him. Yes, if Welker catches that ball, that drive is all kneel-downs, but Brady could've had the greatest drive of all time if he places that ball a little better or Branch reads the throw a little better. I'll regret that one more.

Watching Branch not win it for us broke my heart.

For an instant, it seemed so... Right.

#3755 lars10

• 2,009 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:20 AM

Thank God I don't have ESPN. No temptation to watch for even a second.

Even with ESPN there really isn't a temptation to watch.

#3756 CaptainLaddie

• dj paul pfieffer

• 23,146 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:44 AM

I am looking forward to 28 days without ESPN.

#3757 scottyno

• 2,941 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:53 AM

This much is clear....we diehards are sick people.

Fucking sports.

its the best of times its the worst of times and its never going to change

#3758 Oil Can Dan

• 4,950 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:01 AM

I'm on the other side here of you guys here, but wanted to say that I feel for you all. And prob tough to hear but just wait, because I really feel like you guys are going to be back on top in short order. You have the gold-standard NFL franchise that's loaded with talent on the field and in the front office, and ownership that will do what it takes. That's a recipe for success. Hell of a game and obviously one or two plays goes the other way and it's a different result. Tip of the cap to your team and to you all.

#3759 Norm Siebern

• 2,838 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:21 AM

It is 2:15 a.m. and I can't sleep for shit. The losses hurt worse than the wins feel great. And that shouldn't be.

#3760 americantrotter

• 279 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:31 AM

its the best of times its the worst of times and its never going to change

f'n a right

Edited by americantrotter, 06 February 2012 - 02:32 AM.

#3761 Ferm Sheller

• 4,554 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:32 AM

Now that fucking cocksucker winggack is lurking. I don't know why you guys humor that twat.

#3762 ilol@u

• 1,819 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:55 AM

Actually you guys put up a good discussion.

Say hypothetically: Team A offense is down by 10 and is at the opponents 4 yard line with 1:55 seconds remaining and 3 TO's. Why can't/shouldn't the Team B's defense put 30 men on the field on defense and just try waste the seconds down? The penalty would only be half the distance to the goal, so 2 yards, and then get smaller and smaller, which is irrelevant as long as the clock keeps dwindling.

#3763 ZP1

• 186 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:01 AM

Say hypothetically: Team A offense is down by 10 and is at the opponents 4 yard line with 1:55 seconds remaining and 3 TO's. Why can't/shouldn't the Team B's defense put 30 men on the field on defense and just try waste the seconds down? The penalty would only be half the distance to the goal, so 2 yards, and then get smaller and smaller, which is irrelevant as long as the clock keeps dwindling.

Theoretically, you could do this as soon as you got a lead and literally lame out the rest of the game. Put your entire team on the field every play, and slowly drain the clock by pure attrition.

They just need to change the rules so that the clock is reset to the time before the play if the team on offense decides to accept the penalty. Simple really.

#3764 ivanvamp

• one campus at a time..

• 4,494 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:55 AM

Only 4 teams have led a Super Bowl with 1:00 left and lost. Belichick has coached two of them.

In the five NE Super Bowls under Belichick, the Patriots' D has played well in all 5.

And yet, in 4 of those games, the opponent has marched down the field on their last real possession (taking a knee doesn't count) to score a TD.

vs. StL - long drive, TD to Proehl at 1:30 to tie the game at 17
vs. Car - 7 plays, 80 yds, TD to Proehl at 1:08 to tie the game at 29
vs. Phi - 13 plays, 79 yds, TD to Lewis at 1:48 to cut the lead to 24-21...but the Pats would get the INT on the next possession to end it
vs. NYG - 12 plays, 83 yds, TD to Burress at 0:35 to take a 17-14 lead
vs. NYG - 9 plays, 88 yds, 2:49, TD by Bradshaw at 0:57 to take a 21-17 lead

In all those games the Pats D had done well.....right up until the end. It's as if they simply do not have the ability to nail a game shut, even though it's not fair to criticize them for their overall play, which has been solid.

Edited by ivanvamp, 06 February 2012 - 06:02 AM.

#3765 ivanvamp

• one campus at a time..

• 4,494 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:55 AM

You mean the same Aaron Rodgers that lost to this team 3 weeks ago?

By 17.

At home.

Edited by ivanvamp, 06 February 2012 - 06:00 AM.

#3766 ivanvamp

• one campus at a time..

• 4,494 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:00 AM

Theoretically, you could do this as soon as you got a lead and literally lame out the rest of the game. Put your entire team on the field every play, and slowly drain the clock by pure attrition.

They just need to change the rules so that the clock is reset to the time before the play if the team on offense decides to accept the penalty. Simple really.

If you see that many men on the field, just spike the ball. Takes a second and you get 5 free yards. In 10 seconds you will have advanced 50 yards. Pretty bad defensive strategy to put that many men on the field.

Now if you went with just 12, you'd still be playing the advantages of the extra man, but it's tempting enough for the QB to still try to make a play.

#3767 cyclone

• 2 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:54 AM

If you see that many men on the field, just spike the ball. Takes a second and you get 5 free yards. In 10 seconds you will have advanced 50 yards. Pretty bad defensive strategy to put that many men on the field.

Now if you went with just 12, you'd still be playing the advantages of the extra man, but it's tempting enough for the QB to still try to make a play.

I think at some point, the refs would throw a flag for unsportsmanlike conduct. 12 men is an accident, 20 is intentional

#3768 lars10

• 2,009 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:37 AM

The main hole is that the game can't end on a defensive penalty...that and if it's obvious the refs call the penalty before time comes off the clock most likely.

Edited by lars10, 06 February 2012 - 09:38 AM.

#3769 lars10

• 2,009 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:46 AM

The depressing part is... The Brady era began so incredibly, which makes it that much harder to see these missed opportunities for him to cement his legacy.

These past two SB's have taken a some of the shine off that resume. A great QB, but I don't think he has enough time to recover and still be mentioned in the same league as Montana.

I've been thinking about this statement all night...it pisses me off that a whole career can be tossed off so lightly because of two crazy losses in the super bowl...
You're right.. Brady is actually better in basically every stat right now (or will with Completions and Yards-he's played 31 less games) and Montana had Jerry Rice for 7 years.
I knew there numbers were similar to start their careers...I had no idea they would be this similar now.

G/GS/QBrec/Cmp/Att/Cmp %/YDs/TDs/TD%/Int/Int%/Lng/YpA/YpC/YpG/Rate
Joe-192/164/117-47-0/3409/5391/63.2/40551/273/5.1/139/2.6/96/7.5/11.9/211.2/92.3
Tom-161/159/125-35-0/3397/5321/63.8/39979/300/5.6/115/2.2/99/7.5/11.8/248.3/96.4

edit: rereading your post I'm realizing you may not have been..but there was def one post that said Brady/Montana shouldn't be in the same sentence.

Edited by lars10, 06 February 2012 - 09:49 AM.

#3770 drleather2001

• given himself a skunk spot

• 14,699 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:32 AM

In a perfect world, Brady wins one more SB two or three years from now and then retires on top.

There has to be a third act to this story. Hopefully it's a good one.

#3771 Jed Zeppelin

• SoSH Member

• 15,697 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:40 AM

Woke up at 6 and felt nothing. Still feel nothing. SB42 still pisses me off but right now it's the day after and I feel nothing. Congratulations, world in which Chase Blackburn makes a catch and Wes Welker drops basically the same catch, you have broken me.

#3772 PseuFighter

• Silent scenester

• 8,467 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:43 AM

so it wasn't just a dream.

#3773 Gene Conleys Plane Ticket

• 3,189 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 12:10 PM

In a perfect world, Brady wins one more SB two or three years from now and then retires on top.

In a perfect world, Brady wins two or three or four more Super Bowls, starting with next year, and then retires on top.

#3774 BucketOBalls

• SoSH Member

• 5,644 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:39 PM

In a perfect world, Brady wins two or three or four more Super Bowls, starting with next year, and then retires on top.

In a perfect word they do what they set out to do in '07 and Brady retires on top.

#3775 Laser Show

• 3,407 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:15 PM

In a perfect world, after winning in 2013 and 2014, they do what they set out to do in '07 and Brady retires on top in 2015 with six SB's.

Some minor revisions. Haha. But even without those, this would be the ultimate way to atone.

#3776 millionthcustomer

• 361 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:39 PM

Here's kinda how I look at it. I figured the Pats were in line for a 10-win season tops. They somehow made it to the #1 seed in the AFC. If you had told me in August that the season would come down to a 5-point deficit, with the ball, just under minute left in the Superbowl with a chance to beat the Giants, I'd have taken that without flinching.

I will say that Brady doesn't seem to keep the game as simple as he used to earlier in his career. It might just be my crappy memory, but the '01-'05 Brady did just enough to control the ball, and keep the defense fresh. Lots of throws to the flat. Lots of throws for 6-7 yards. Then the Pats lost in the '06 AFCCG and everyone started clamoring about surrounding Brady with "weapons". In comes Moss and records start falling like crazy, and now he seems to be throwing balls that he wouldn't have earlier in his career. Wasn't the old argument between Brady and Peyton Manning all about how (like Russell and Chamberlain) Brady had worse stats and all the titles, and Manning had gaudy stats with no rings to show for it? The Pats have gotten away from that too much, and are asking Brady to do too much, IMHO. His INT off the forced throw to Gronk tonight, is a throw that he would never have even attempted before Moss came onboard. Not saying tonight is Moss' fault, but I do think that having a guy like him on the team fundamentally changed the passing game. Time to get back to basics on offense.

#3777 G String Quartet

• bignomarfan

• 2,090 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:11 PM

Just a collection of miscues. The safety led to nine points....the 12 men on the field that took away a turnover....the drops. Just too much to overcome.

This is really it.

Yeah, the Welker drop sucks but it wasn't a guarentee they were getitng in the end zone so we will just never know. The other above mentioned miscues don't occur and it doesn't even come to that. Look, if my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle.

Still sucks. And I am in the epicenter of it all. Blows.

Edited by G String Quartet, 06 February 2012 - 07:12 PM.

#3778 Stanley Steamer

• 590 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:16 AM

Lots of reasonable reads on this thread. I'm disappointed, but not feeling it as deeply as if it were baseball. I had this feeling the Gints were going to win all week, and was excited that the Pats might pull it off. It seemed like they were the underdogs, and played a smart game. I was particularly impressed by the defensive intensity. What hits they were laying out there! Especially Chung on Nicks. But it seemed like as the game wore on, the Giants were getting the lucky breaks, and the script played out from there. They played well enough. They just lost. Tom Brady seems a little past it, to me. He's obviously so talented still, but these losses after all the successes early in his career appear to have worn on his psyche. You never know. He still may have another one left in the tank. But it's not easy to sustain this level for so long. Anyway, a great season nonetheless. Just hard to get so close and miss out, especially to sucky New Yorkers.

#3779 TheoShmeo

• made johnny damon think long and hard

• 8,298 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:35 AM

Parade today in Manhattan. Happy Giants fans everywhere.

Continuous vomit.

#3780 cheekydave

• 2,383 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 01:05 PM

Living here, feel like a nuke went off and I am in an underground bunker

No ESPN, Francesa,Beningo,etc. Have CNN on, boy is this boring.

Figure Ill come up for air next week, the talk should be about baseball, and how much the Knicks suck.

#3781 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16,673 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 02:25 PM

Living here, feel like a nuke went off and I am in an underground bunker

No ESPN, Francesa,Beningo,etc. Have CNN on, boy is this boring.

Figure Ill come up for air next week, the talk should be about baseball, and how much the Knicks suck.

It ruined my entire gym routine now that I can't watch any sports-related coverage for at least 2 weeks when I'm on the stationary bike. Now, I'm reduced to watching CNN, Food Network, etc. FML.

#3782 CaptainLaddie

• dj paul pfieffer

• 23,146 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:03 PM

CAN WE LOCK THIS ALREADY

#3783 Turrable

• 2,231 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:43 PM

This is a real strategy, designed by none other than Buddy Ryan:

http://deadspin.com/...t-was-the-point

#3784 Gene Conleys Plane Ticket

• 3,189 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:22 PM

The game was the most-watched telecast in U.S. history with an average of 111.3 million viewers.

#3785 ifmanis5

• SoSH Member

• 12,005 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:17 PM

This game thread on the SoSH front page very day until August. JFC.

FUCK YOU PHIL COLLINS.

#3786 StuckOnYouk

• 2,066 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:47 PM

Anyone catch Sound FX's show on the Super Bowl? Regarding the hold on Wilfork, the ref had questioned the line judge who threw the flag but let the call stand. Later in the game during a stoppage in play they both asked Wilfork if he was held and Wilfork told them no, that it was a bad call.

I wonder if the NFL would have had the balls to have its network air that conversation if the Giants had lost. That call swung all momentum from the Giants to the Pats.

I also wonder why the hell Wilfork would admit that to the ref knowing it might cost him a call later.

#3787 SemperFidelisSox

• suzyn

• 10,693 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:27 AM

God that was painful. It was like watching a video of your family being executed with special audio commentary from the executioners. "Make them go to Manningham." Famous last words from BB.