Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Poor Kendrick Perkins: Blake Griffin Dunk of the Year?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 soxhop411

• SoSH Member

• 10,221 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:53 AM

Feel bad for Perkins, won't ever live that down

Edited by soxhop411, 31 January 2012 - 12:54 AM.

#2 Phragle

• wild card bitches

• 11,268 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:35 AM

I Mean Holy Shit

#3 PhilPlantier

• 1,684 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:23 AM

But did he make the free throw?

#4 PaulinMyrBch

• Don't touch his dog food

• 5,142 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:52 AM

Never show that in slow mo, totally loses the effect of the thunder. Just show it full speed, over and over...

#5 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:55 AM

It was incredible power, but it's not a dunk when you have to throw the ball in the hoop instead of actually, you know, dunk it.

#6 Nick Kaufman

• protector of human kind from spoilers

• 8,361 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:58 AM

Never show that in slow mo, totally loses the effect of the thunder. Just show it full speed, over and over...

Yup, what I was thinking exactly.

#7 teddykgb

• 3,637 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:01 AM

i don't get the furor over this dunk today. I feel like i've seen better dunks from Blake himself. Perkins is extremely late on a help rotation and blake throws the ball through the rim after absorbing contact. A hell of a play, to be sure, worthy of a sportscenter #1 for the week, even. But people are acting like this is an all time great dunk and I just don't see it. Let the kid keep playing and he'll probably top this one 3 times this year alone.

#8 mt8thsw9th

• anti-SoSHal

• 14,094 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:25 AM

Feel bad for Perkins, won't ever live that down

I'd imagine his retirement write-up won't mention this. Most people will have forgotten about this by next month (which starts tomorrow).

#9 smastroyin

• simpering whimperer

• 16,772 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:11 AM

I think it is kind of lame to talk about this in context of Griffin posterizing Perkins since he was only able to do it because Serge Ibaka didn't even defend Griffin or close the passing lane (though it was a nice pass by Paul), and Perk had to rotate off his man to even make the play.

I bet Perk misses KG.

#10 ElUno20

• 1,433 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:49 PM

He touched the rim. so technically, smart asses, it was a dunk.

#11 ElUno20

• 1,433 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:49 PM

He touched the rim. so technically, smart asses, it was a dunk.

#12 SumnerH

• Malt Liquor Picker

• 15,032 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 02:56 PM

i don't get the furor over this dunk today. I feel like i've seen better dunks from Blake himself. Perkins is extremely late on a help rotation and blake throws the ball through the rim after absorbing contact.

Yeah, I agree. It's a nice dunk but not a super-hypable one...

A hell of a play, to be sure, worthy of a sportscenter #1 for the week, even.

...and I'll take Lebron's over John Lucas for dunk of the past week:

#13 Wave em in Wendall

• 888 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:32 PM

Yeah, I agree. It's a nice dunk but not a super-hypable one...

...and I'll take Lebron's over John Lucas for dunk of the past week:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I'd bet 95 people out of 100 would take Blake's dunk over LBJ's.

Blake dunked over a 6-11 270 guy, Lebron jumped over a 5-11 185 guy who was ducking out of the way. Blake also had to control the ball, all Lebron did was catch and drop. I'm not going to argue LBJ's wasn't impressive, but Blake's dunk was absolutely hype-able.

Edited by Wave em in Wendall, 31 January 2012 - 04:32 PM.

#14 lars10

• 1,957 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 05:20 PM

This dunk feels like Dwight Howards 'superman' dunk in the dunk contest..people were going crazy over that one, but he was actually short of the rim.
This feels the same way to me. It's a great athletic play requiring a lot of control and agility, but to give me a dunk by MJ or Carter in his heyday or Julius Erving or Moses Malone or Shaq or any of those thunderous dunks where everything was timed perfectly and you can just feel the power. Perkins does what he can here..he's not like the guy on the poster ducking out of the way..he actually has a forearm in Blake's chest.

Speaking of Blake..I hope someone gets to him soon and teaches him how to hustle and play defense. The guy is just walking around the court waiting for the next lob at the moment (or at least the games I've seen). He would be unstoppable if he got a jumper and hustled a bit more. Right now it just feels to me that he's a very talented player who is just resting on his athletic ability and not pushing himself to be great...but i could be wrong.

#15 collings94

• PipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:23 PM

Not a big fan of Dunks that are barely Dunks. That was one angry throw down though.

#16 The Social Chair

• 865 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:43 PM

This is better than both.

#17 bbc23

• 779 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:22 PM

And apparently Perkins has deleted his twitter account today in the wake of the dunk, not sure that was the right/best reaction

#18 ifmanis5

• SoSH Member

• 11,600 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:48 PM

Dunk of the year so far.

But not SUR LA TETE!

#19 Sheets

• 547 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:44 AM

It was incredible power, but it's not a dunk when you have to throw the ball in the hoop instead of actually, you know, dunk it.

I think that the definition of a "dunk" might be open to interpretation. In fact, I think that throwing the ball down through the hoop might make it even more of a dunk. Check out the first live shot again- he is jumping from almost outside of the paint. And if it's not a dunk, what would you then call that- a jump shot or a lay up? Just curious. I'll also bet if you ask around NBA players, they would probably agree Perk got dunked on.

i don't get the furor over this dunk today. I feel like i've seen better dunks from Blake himself. Perkins is extremely late on a help rotation and blake throws the ball through the rim after absorbing contact. A hell of a play, to be sure, worthy of a sportscenter #1 for the week, even. But people are acting like this is an all time great dunk and I just don't see it. Let the kid keep playing and he'll probably top this one 3 times this year alone.

I've watched Griffin play quite a bit, both on TV and in person. Show me a BETTER dunk of his and I'll gladly appreciate it. However, I don't think you can find one. And to say he'll top this one 3 times this year alone? Come on, man.

What makes this dunk incredible is that he is going against a guy with the size of Perkins, who is going for the foul, but Blake absorbs both forearms, gives one of his own and throws the ball down from three feet out. Wow.

I think it is kind of lame to talk about this in context of Griffin posterizing Perkins since he was only able to do it because Serge Ibaka didn't even defend Griffin or close the passing lane (though it was a nice pass by Paul), and Perk had to rotate off his man to even make the play.

I bet Perk misses KG.

I agree that players often get unfairly "posterized", precisely because of your reasoning. I think it's a stupid phrase. But I also think that some people are writing off how great this dunk was (or even if it was a dunk) because it was on Perk, and he was/still kinda is our boy.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I'd bet 95 people out of 100 would take Blake's dunk over LBJ's.

Blake dunked over a 6-11 270 guy, Lebron jumped over a 5-11 185 guy who was ducking out of the way. Blake also had to control the ball, all Lebron did was catch and drop. I'm not going to argue LBJ's wasn't impressive, but Blake's dunk was absolutely hype-able.

Agreed.

This is better than both.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP_Zk495p3E

My first reaction was to say that was an offensive foul. But after multiple viewings, I'm not sure if he didn't take off before the defensive player established position. Interesting. But Blake's is better. Perk is at least trying to defend something other than his nether region. :o

#20 Tony C

• SoSH Member

• 8,781 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:40 AM

No kidding. Not sure why people are trying to denigrate Blake's dunk -- in a way different league than average dunks like this one from LBJ. Blake rocked it.

#21 lars10

• 1,957 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:47 AM

No kidding. Not sure why people are trying to denigrate Blake's dunk -- in a way different league than average dunks like this one from LBJ. Blake rocked it.

I'd agree with the '95 out of 100' just on principle of it being LBJ.. i'm starting to dislike the way he runs back up court. Also Lebron's is basically just a back door cut where the defender doesn't know what's going on.

I think Wallace's dunk is definitely better than Blake's.. he's jumping from farther out..has no regard for the player sliding under him and somehow lands without killing himself... just the fact he's going full speed and is able to accomplish all that is impressive.

I guess it's potato/potatoe but i think with a dunk you have to make contact with the rim and not just throw it down through it..but that's just my flawed definition of something i could never do anyway. Both are impressive in their own right really.

#22 mandro ramtinez

• 1,150 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:07 PM

Dunk of the year so far.

But not SUR LA TETE!

Damn, Vin Baker was already out of shape then. He should've been working the neck beard.

#23 page 2 protege

• 125 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:09 PM

...I guess it's potato/potatoe but i think with a dunk you have to make contact with the rim and not just throw it down through it..but that's just my flawed definition of something i could never do anyway. Both are impressive in their own right really.

He does, just doesn't grab and pull down