Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

SOSH

Happy Patriots Day.  I expect some heavy usage today so please if there are any problems just let me know via twitter @sonsofsamhorn.  thanks folks.  nip

Photo

Panthers Edit Logo

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 drleather2001

• given himself a skunk spot

• 13099 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:18 AM

For the first time since 1995 (when they burst upon the scene), the Panthers have changed their logo.

I think Goodell should take them to task for stealing the spotlight on SB week.

#2 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• now batting steve sal hiney. the leftfielder, hiney

• 24821 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:20 AM

Not bad. Reminds me a little bit of what the Lions did a few years ago in updating their logo while essentially keeping the design the same.

#3 Oil Can Dan

• 4803 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:26 AM

Much better than it used to be IMO.

#4 drleather2001

• 13099 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:38 AM

The color is certainly better. That teal/black combo really smacks of the mid 1990s. I'd argue that their primary logo does, too (as does the Pats'), but it's decent enough. Certainly better than the Jaguars', which is just a rounded, muddled, mess.

#5 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• 24821 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:45 AM

The color is certainly better. That teal/black combo really smacks of the mid 1990s. I'd argue that their primary logo does, too (as does the Pats'), but it's decent enough. Certainly better than the Jaguars', which is just a rounded, muddled, mess.

The Pather head was designed to be roughly the same shape as North and South Carolina together.

#6 Domer

• 1765 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:49 AM

I think Goodell should take them to task for stealing the spotlight on SB week.

I know you're joking, but the linked article states that Nike were the ones who leaked the new logo.

I like it.

#7 SMU_Sox

• loves his fluffykins

• 4639 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:53 AM

It seems I am in the minority here but I prefer the old one. I giggled when I saw the more aggressive looking logo. The old one could use a starker color contrast I suppose, but I still think the new look is somewhat comical.

#8 ( . ) ( . ) and (_!_)

• T&A

• 1829 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:57 AM

The panther looks ferocious so clearly this means that the Giants pass rush is going to get Brady. But the blue is softer and comforting, which probably means that Gronk's ankle will heal well enough for him to play and be effective.

Just wanted to get this thread on the same track as all the others.

#9 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• 24821 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:57 AM

Well done. :lol: :lol:

#10 drleather2001

• 13099 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:07 AM

You know, all joking aside, wasn't the analysis back in 2004 very similar to what's being said about the Giants? That Russ Hochstein didn't stand a chance against the ferocious pass rush of Kris Jenkins et al?

#11 Awesome Fossum

• 854 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:21 AM

Is it just me, or does the blue in the eye make it look like the panther is looking off the side? That's my main complaint.

I've never cared for the Panthers look, but I thought it was kind of neat they hadn't changed anything in their history, unlike the Jaguars who are tweaking something every other year (with very questionable results). I wouldn't want it for my team, but I'm going to miss the totally 1990s wordmark.

#12 Shelterdog

• SoSH Member

• 8610 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:23 AM

You know, all joking aside, wasn't the analysis back in 2004 very similar to what's being said about the Giants? That Russ Hochstein didn't stand a chance against the ferocious pass rush of Kris Jenkins et al?

A bit, but I think it's more ridiculous than that. Russ Hochstein is a shitty player; the Pats o-line is really, really good and is much better than anything the Giants have played lately. It's a great strength against strength matchup that isn't even being discussed; the analysis is just that the Giants are going to pressure Brady and that'll be a big problem.

#13 simplyeric

• Professional Writer

• 2996 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:45 AM

Is it just me, or does the blue in the eye make it look like the panther is looking off the side? That's my main complaint.

I like the fact that it has a little fu-manchu beard going on.

#14 Royal Reader

• 1178 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:58 AM

I've never cared for the Panthers look, but I thought it was kind of neat they hadn't changed anything in their history, unlike the Jaguars who are tweaking something every other year (with very questionable results). I wouldn't want it for my team, but I'm going to miss the totally 1990s wordmark.

Oh, everytime I looked at it it reminded me of Madden '97 for some reason.

For a 90's expansion team, the whole name/logo/unis combo of the Panthers was fantastic - considering the competition was the Jags, Raptors, Diamondbacks, Rays... I suppose the 1993 MLB teams didn't look too bad, my aversion to pinstripes aside. Probably because of the whole retro thing going on in baseball at the time with the ballparks etc.

#15 BrazilianSoxFan

• 1023 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:16 PM

Posted Image

#16 moondog80

• heart is two sizes two small

• 1454 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:41 PM

Am I the only one who wouldn't be able tell this is a new logo without being told/looking at them side by side?

#17 jose melendez

• Earl of Acie

• 12237 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 01:20 PM

Seems like a touch of Carolina blue in the new logo: I predict Duke and State fans go nuts.

#18 The Allented Mr Ripley

• holden

• 8701 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:08 PM

Their original logo is below, but the team (or the NFL) got slapped with a suit from Jaguar as soon as it was unveiled. They switched to the one they have now as a result.

Posted Image

Edited by The Allented Mr Ripley, 30 January 2012 - 02:08 PM.

#19 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• 24821 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:12 PM

I remember that logo, the front part of it was on their helmets for a brief while before the lawsuit made them change it. It was a better logo.

#20 drleather2001

• 13099 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:36 PM

Posted Image

#21 Rasputin

• Will outlive SeanBerry

• 25318 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:58 PM

Am I the only one who wouldn't be able tell this is a new logo without being told/looking at them side by side?

I just watched the evolution of the new logo video on their site and the only difference I can see is a bit of white around the outside.

#22 E5 Yaz

• Transcends message boarding

• 23301 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 03:00 PM

I just watched the evolution of the new logo video on their site and the only difference I can see is a bit of white around the outside.

That video is more theory than intelligent design

#23 BrotherMalcolm

• 35 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 03:27 PM

I think it is fair to say that the logo was holding them back. With this new logo they are going places.... Like a bunch of 2 and 3rd places in thier own division. Geesh.

#24 Youkilis vs Wild

• 291 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:09 PM

Their original logo is below, but the team (or the NFL) got slapped with a suit from Jaguar as soon as it was unveiled. They switched to the one they have now as a result.

Funny, considering the Jaguars isn't too far off:

Posted Image

#25 Nilsonbor

• 1 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:21 PM

wow I will follow your topics :0

#26 drleather2001

• 13099 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:36 PM

wow I will follow your topics :0

You mock, but this is probably the most substantive NFL news in a week.

#27 Kull

• wannabe merloni

• 1134 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:40 PM

I still can't tell. Is it the eyes? The size? Jeeze, I dunno.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#28 SemperFidelisSox

• suzyn

• 9306 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:49 PM

Back in '95, it was well understood at my elementary school that the blue Panthers Starter jacket was for girls. Any boy with the jacket was mercifully teased until he made him mom drive him to the nearest Olympia sports store so it could be returned for another Starter jacket.

#29 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30160 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:51 PM

Back in '95, it was well understood at my elementary school that the blue Panthers Starter jacket was for girls. Any boy with the jacket was mercifully teased until he made him mom drive him to the nearest Olympia sports store so it could be returned for another Starter jacket.

Same for the Charlotte Hornets.

#30 Reverend

• needs sharper knives

• 19411 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:58 PM

You mock, but this is probably the most substantive NFL news in a week.

When I saw this thread my first thought was "My God, this weight is going to be interminable."

Whoops--meant to say weak. I'm keeping it though--paging Dr. Freud!

#31 JayMags71

• SoSH Member

• 5046 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:09 PM

Any boy with the jacket was mercifully teased until he made him mom drive him to the nearest Olympia sports store so it could be returned for another Starter jacket.

How do you mercifully tease someone?
"Oh, you poor, poor thing! Having to wear such a FANTASTICALLY UGLY jacket must be such a burden."

Actually, that sounds a lot like my mom.

#32 E5 Yaz

• Transcends message boarding

• 23301 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:11 PM

Posted Image

#33 Kull

• wannabe merloni

• 1134 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:29 PM

I like "Monday Seahawk" compared to "Friday Seahawk". As for the old Bronco, wow. He's got atomic-powered snot AND Somali-kid-ribs.

#34 quint

• I learned this face in prison

• 2077 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:42 PM

With the exception of the Seahawks, because frankly, who gives a shit, each of the prior jerseys/logos kicks their succesor's assholes in.

#35 Freddy Linn

• SoSH Member

• 5909 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:49 PM

With the exception of the Seahawks, because frankly, who gives a shit, each of the prior jerseys/logos kicks their succesor's assholes in.

The old Bronco uniforms were incredibly awesome. They should have kept the color scheme if they were adamant about a new logo. Losers.

Edit: The Broncos were my second favorite team as a little kid because of their uniforms and this awesome book (which I foolishly did a book report on):

Posted Image

Peter King is a douche for stealing the title.

Edited by Freddy Linn, 30 January 2012 - 10:55 PM.

#36 JayMags71

• SoSH Member

• 5046 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:51 PM

Replace the word "kicks" with the word "rapes", and I agree with your assessment of the Buccaneers.

#37 JimBoSox9

• will you be my friend?

• 11646 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:01 PM

I'm insulted that Pat Patriot even appears on the same list as Bucco Bruce.

(null)

#38 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 18781 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:07 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

#39 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• 24821 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:40 AM

I'd prefer the Bucs go back to the creamsicle-colored Bucco Bruce unis.

Posted Image

Go ahead and try to tell me that's not awesome.

#40 drleather2001

• 13099 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:20 AM

I agree that all of the older uniforms look better. IMO, the idea behind a uniform and color scheme is to A) Look reasonably good; B) Distinguish your team from the others; and C) have some tie to the community the team represents. Too often B and C get tossed aside.

For instance, the Seahawks logo went from being a unique pro color scheme (the closest was the Whalers) that looked good (blue and green), and represented the forest/ocean setting of Seattle. The logo resembles Pacific Northwest native american art, art that typically does not represent emotion, merely a scene (see example below). They replace this with a "90's-ized" color scheme that isnt' distinguishable from a lot of other teams that use metallic tones (such as the Panthers, above, or even the Pats), and they screw up the artwork to just look like a mean, decapitated, bird. WTF?

Posted Image

#41 drleather2001

• 13099 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:23 AM

And the fucking new(er) Broncos uniform is a mess. Giant piping, newfangled font for the numbers...it's incredibly ugly.

EDIT: One other goddamn thing: metallic colors on uniforms is almost always a bad idea. This even goes for the Pats; the white top/blue pants look is great. The blue top/silver pants? Blah.

Edited by drleather2001, 31 January 2012 - 09:25 AM.

#42 Marbleheader

• SoSH Member

• 6803 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:23 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image

Do the old timers remember this?

#43 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• 24821 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:39 AM

That got a mention in Uniwatch, Scott. Took a while to get that tracked down.

Oddly enough I prefer the current Pats unis to the Pat Patriots ones.

#44 ( . ) ( . ) and (_!_)

• T&A

• 1829 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:43 AM

The Red Jersey Pat Patriot uniform would be the best in the league.
(it would even look awesome if they switched blue as the primary color and red as the accent)

#45 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• 24821 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:45 AM

That ship has sailed. The Pats have settled on a very classy scheme over the past, I dunno, 12 years at this point since ditching the hideous medium-blue with slanted numbers jerseys of the Bledsoe days. I'm done with Pat Patriot, too many memories of 2-14 seasons in those things.

#46 weeba

• 1288 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:49 AM

Posted Image

This image isn't loading here, does someone have the direct link?

#47 quint

• I learned this face in prison

• 2077 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:53 AM

I seem to remember you extolling the virtues of the red uniforms when Teagan was wearing one.

#48 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• 24821 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:55 AM

I seem to remember extolling the virtues of burlap, if only Teagan wore it.

#49 Royal Reader

• 1178 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:57 AM

I'd prefer the Bucs go back to the creamsicle-colored Bucco Bruce unis.

Posted Image

Go ahead and try to tell me that's not awesome.

It looks Tennessee Vol-esque. So, a thousand times not awesome. Orange sucks.

#50 drleather2001

• 13099 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:00 AM

I think it would have been fine if they just A) changed the logo to a logo not named "Bruce"; and B) reversed the accent color and the main color. So, a burnt orange jersey with light orange highlights. Would have been fine.

Instead we get "pewter". That's not a fucking color.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users