Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Magic is a Dodger Now

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
39 replies to this topic

#1 soxhop411

• SoSH Member

• 10,776 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:46 AM

RT @JonHeymanCBS: hearing mccourt already has at least 1 bid in range of 1.5B. and if thats so, he may hit $2B before this is over.#dodgers

Kimi Yoshino @kyoshino
Magic Johnson, Joe Torre, Rick Caruso into 2nd round. RT@BillShaikin First cut for #Dodgers ownership candidates:lat.ms/yku1n4

as a Socal sox fan, i am happy to see that there are many people interested in the team, and feel anyone can run the dodgers better then Mccourt has. Dodger fans here were partying in the streets when he put the dodgers up for sale. I am hoping its Magic Johnson who wins the dodgers

Edited by absintheofmalaise, 27 March 2012 - 10:32 PM.

#2 Meff Nelton

• 1,088 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 05:19 AM

If the post-McCourt, pre-RSN Dodgers are worth $2B(!?!,) then there are two alternatives: we are a nation directed by ego-driven billionaires who can't find a price high enough to enter public consicious, or the pro-sports bubble is prime for a nationallly historic pop.

A post-McCord, pre-RSN sale of the Dodgers at $2B(?!?) suggests that Yankees Global Enterprises is worth closer to ten billion dollars than to five. I don't accept this.

Edited by Meff Nelton, 28 January 2012 - 05:21 AM.

#3 Gunfighter 09

• wants to be caribou ken

• 4,337 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 10:23 AM

If the post-McCourt, pre-RSN Dodgers are worth $2B(!?!,) then there are two alternatives: we are a nation directed by ego-driven billionaires who can't find a price high enough to enter public consicious, or the pro-sports bubble is prime for a nationallly historic pop.

A post-McCord, pre-RSN sale of the Dodgers at $2B(?!?) suggests that Yankees Global Enterprises is worth closer to ten billion dollars than to five. I don't accept this.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isnt the real estate a huge driver of this price?

#4 stevman17

• 974 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 02:37 PM

This is why it's funny to hear people complain about how much players make. "A-Rod is making how much?!?!?" ANGER RAHH!! No one ever mentions the amounts the owners make in a critical light, and they don't even play the game!

#5 Sampo Gida

• 3,136 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 12:35 AM

I believe MLB has final say on who gets to own the Dodgers, so it won't necessarily be the highest bidder who gets the team in the end.

Still, McCourt looks to do pretty well for himself, even after his wifes, creditors and Uncle Sams cut.

#6 trekfan55

• SoSH Member

• 5,572 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 02:47 PM

Given that the Dodgers are under bankruptcy, can MLB really force the Court to accept a bid that is not the highest one?

#7 Brianish

• 4,333 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 02:54 PM

I'm pretty sure the deal MLB made to get McCourt to leave gave them pre-approval of the bidding field, but guaranteed McCourt picked the ultimate buyer, which almost guarantees it goes to the highest bid from the approved field.

http://articles.lati...ers-qa-20120123

#8 Sampo Gida

• 3,136 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:21 PM

I'm pretty sure the deal MLB made to get McCourt to leave gave them pre-approval of the bidding field, but guaranteed McCourt picked the ultimate buyer, which almost guarantees it goes to the highest bid from the approved field.

http://articles.lati...ers-qa-20120123

Thanks for the link. I guess bankruptcy pays some dividends. :rolleyes:

#9 wibi

• SoSH Member

• 7,969 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:50 PM

Wrong topic

Edited by majorwibi, 30 January 2012 - 02:56 PM.

#10 Dehere

• 2,440 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:46 AM

Correct me if I am wrong, but isnt the real estate a huge driver of this price?

I wouldn't say that's wrong exactly but I think the biggest driver of the price by far is the expected value of regional cable rights. I've heard 20 years/$3 billion as a reasonable estimate.

There's a bubble in the value of pro teams to exactly the extent that you believe there's a bubble in the business of cable television. If you believe that cable will eventually be crippled by either regulation or simple consumer choice then sure there's a bubble in team value. Personally I don't believe that either of those things will happen but a reasonable case is there to be made.

#11 sheamonu

• 335 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 03:33 PM

This is definitely driven by the value of the media rights, both locally and the expected boost that will arrive as revenue avenues expand into the device market. Bidding like this is really good news for JWH and the Red Sox ownership group, who are sitting on a non-bankrupt cash cow whose value soars each time the bidding on the Dodgers goes up.

#12 Spacemans Bong

• chapeau rose

• 16,543 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:37 AM

How valuable are the Yankees? In a way that's what the Dodgers could be. Maybe not exactly the Yankees, but pretty close. Their own park, a ton of primo LA land, the cable rights/regional sports network, etc.

It's been so long since they've felt like the NL Yankees that we forget they could be exactly that. They have spent the last 15 years fighting with one arm tied behind their back.

#13 soxhop411

• SoSH Member

• 10,776 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:19 PM

CBS Los Angeles @CBSLA

An LA Times report says Joe Torre & Rick Caruso dropped their bid to buy the Dodgers- and its all over a parking lot! cbsloc.al/xl6QTP

#14 TomRicardo

• rusty cohlebone

• 18,173 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:48 PM

How valuable are the Yankees? In a way that's what the Dodgers could be. Maybe not exactly the Yankees, but pretty close. Their own park, a ton of primo LA land, the cable rights/regional sports network, etc.

It's been so long since they've felt like the NL Yankees that we forget they could be exactly that. They have spent the last 15 years fighting with one arm tied behind their back.

The Dodgers are more valuable than the Yankees because of real estate. Yankees own no real estate just have a sweet ass lease.

#15 Matthew M.

• 192 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:17 PM

According to Forbes, the bidding is down to 5, with the Magic Johnson group leading the way with a $1.6 billion bid. The candidates:

1. Magic Johnson/Stan Kasten
2. Steven Cohen/Arn Tellem
3. Stan Kroenke
4. Michael Heisley/Tony Ressler
5. Stanley Gold/Roy Disney Family

While Johnson leads the way with the bidding, Cohen's bid of $1.4 billion has $900 million in liquidity. Of course, none of these bids include the parking lots, which is the thorny issue, right now.

Alan Casden was knocked out of the bidding, today, while MLB doesn't seem impressed by the structure of the bid of Leo Hendery/Tom Barrack.

McCourt must select a bidder by 4-1-12, and close the deal by 4-30-12.

Edited by Matthew M., 12 March 2012 - 11:34 PM.

#16 InstantKarmma

• Defender of Roadrunners

• 5,736 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:22 AM

Cohen is leading in more than the equity of his bid; he's a Friend of Bud. He coughed up $20 million to purchase a 4% stake in the financially-troubled Mets. This kind of largess shouldn't go unnoticed in the commissioner's office or with the other owners and could go a long way in making his bid the winner.

#17 maufman

• SoSH Member

• 12,580 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:16 PM

Cohen is leading in more than the equity of his bid; he's a Friend of Bud. He coughed up $20 million to purchase a 4% stake in the financially-troubled Mets. This kind of largess shouldn't go unnoticed in the commissioner's office or with the other owners and could go a long way in making his bid the winner.

What we don't know is how much influence Selig gave away in exchange for McCourt's agreement to sell the team right away with some MLB involvement. (Absent such an agreement, bankruptcy rules might have allowed McCourt to reorganize and keep the team, or sell to the highest bidder with no MLB input.) McCourt has more leverage than a typical selling owner, and he probably won't be inclined to accept less money from Selig's preferred candidate.

Edit: Also, Selig would be unlikely to lobby openly against Magic Johnson's bid, if they end up offering the most money.

Edited by maufman, 22 March 2012 - 02:17 PM.

#18 Matthew M.

• 192 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:04 PM

Magic/Kasten wins:

http://www.mlbtrader..._medium=twitter

#19 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:11 PM

RichSandomir magic johnson group gets dodgers for deal worth more than $2B

#20 mikeford

• woolwich!

• 17,873 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:17 PM

So... if the LA Dodgers are worth 2 billion dollars, what on Earth are the Red Sox and Yankees worth now?

#21 Seabass177

• has an efficient neck

• 4,168 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:23 PM

And McCourt keeps the parking lots. I mean, Jesus. The guy's going to make a billion dollars off of his investment.

#22 soxhop411

• SoSH Member

• 10,776 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:50 PM

And McCourt keeps the parking lots. I mean,Jesus. The guy's going to make a billion dollars off of his investment.

Not fully sure, getting conflicting reports here in LA

#23 3rd Degree

• 2,184 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:13 PM

Molly Knight has been a rock star throughout this entire mess. From her Twitter feed:

Again, from McCourt's press release on the parking lots: "Mr. McCourt and certain affiliates of the purchasers will also be forming a joint venture, which will acquire the Chavez Ravine property for an additional $150 million." So it makes it seem like McCourt will continue to own the land with affiliates of the Guggenheim/Johnson group. Seems like a verbage issue on the lots. The new owners will own them WITH Frank, if I'm reading the release correctly.

I can't wait to see the atmosphere at the Stadium tomorrow.

#24 SemperFidelisSox

• suzyn

• 10,660 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:24 PM

So... if the LA Dodgers are worth 2 billion dollars, what on Earth are the Red Sox and Yankees worth now?

I don't know, but this is great news for Linda Pizzuti. She's going to see this number and start suggesting to John Henry that they do more "fun" things together like sky diving, running with the bulls, or skipping doctors appointments.

#25 Bongorific

• 4,823 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:41 PM

The Dodgers are more valuable than the Yankees because of real estate. Yankees own no real estate just have a sweet ass lease.

It is impossible for outsiders to accurately gauge the value of sports teams as most are privately held corporations. Many of their investments are not public information. YGE owns a lot more than the team and the cable station.

#26 soxhop411

• SoSH Member

• 10,776 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:44 PM

Bill Shaikin @BillShaikin
Parking lots will be controlled by Magic's group.

#27 singaporesoxfan

• 3,680 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:47 PM

This is why you include Magic on your bidding team, you get positive results.

#28 Matthew M.

• 192 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:00 AM

According to the NY Times, this sale is "all cash". Wow.

http://www.nytimes.c...ution.html?_r=2

#29 ForceAtHome

• 4,012 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:04 AM

According to the NY Times, this sale is "all cash". Wow.

http://www.nytimes.c...ution.html?_r=2

Wow, indeed.

...and the ultimate wow.

#30 Sampo Gida

• 3,136 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:11 AM

Whoever knew bankruptcy could pay so well. McCourt must be a happy man.

edit-Also, do you think his wife has any regrets over her settlement for 131 million.

Edited by Sampo Gida, 28 March 2012 - 12:22 AM.

#31 3rd Degree

• 2,184 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:25 AM

From Bill Shaikin:

#Dodgers sold for $2.15 billion, world record price for sports franchise and almost 3x previous MLB record ($845 million, Cubs)

#Dodgers deal allows Magic group to control parking lots for games, Magic and McCourt to jointly pursue any development of lots.

Clarification on joint venture in parking lots: Magic and McCourt would have to agree on any development. Magic can veto any plans.

Ownership of the parking lots was a HUGE issue amongst the locals. This is monumental news for Dodger fans.

#32 Sampo Gida

• 3,136 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:48 AM

Ownership of the parking lots was a HUGE issue amongst the locals. This is monumental news for Dodger fans.

Prices might increase a little though. 2.15 billion is a lot of wampum and Mccourt is still one of the owners.

#33 Tyrone Biggums

• nfl meets tri-annually at a secret country mansion in colorado,

• 3,557 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:41 AM

So Magic and MJ both own sports teams...what team can Bird buy?

#34 MentalDisabldLst

• Prefers spit over lube

• 13,715 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:29 AM

KAPOW!

Actually, if history is any guide, you get positive results and a ton of PR initially, then a few years of 'meh', then a bunch of special treatment and involvement of strange/experimental drugs, and after 15 years you quietly announce that you're now getting negative results.

#35 soxfan121

• minidope/racontuer

• 15,598 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:58 AM

1. Magic isn't the majority owner, some dude named Mark is. Why is Magic the front man?
2. McCourt and his parking lots. If there is a such a thing as karma, he will get run over and then buried in one. Everything with this man is about parking lots.
3. It's been said before, but thank god for H/W/L and not a Dolan or McCourt or the group that had every media member in the bag.
4. I hope McCourt has to park cars at his new lots for just one night.
5. $2B for the Dodgers is a lot of money.

#36 MentalDisabldLst

• Prefers spit over lube

• 13,715 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:19 PM

1. Magic isn't the majority owner, some dude named Mark is. Why is Magic the front man?

One of the members of the buying consortium is among the top 5 basketball players of all time and one of the most recognizable names in American sports. Another is the President of the Washington Natinals, architect of the long run of success by the Atlanta Braves, and a close friend of Ted Turner. A third is the founder of diversified corporate financial services provider Guggenheim Partners. Who do you think will get media attention?

#37 Quintanariffic

• 4,416 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:19 PM

One of the members of the buying consortium is among the top 5 basketball players of all time and one of the most recognizable names in American sports. Another is the President of the Washington Natinals, architect of the long run of success by the Atlanta Braves, and a close friend of Ted Turner. A third is the founder of diversified corporate financial services provider Guggenheim Partners. Who do you think will get media attention?

You forgot to mention that Magic is idolized here in LA to a degree that I'm not sure any other sporting figure is in any other city in America. LA is a shit sports town for the most part, but they love the Lakers with a passion and Magic is the physical embodiment of that love.

#38 Frank, Fenway

• 3,573 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:04 PM

I'm pretty sure Magic could end all gang violence if just asked nicely.

#39 Quintanariffic

• 4,416 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:49 PM

I'm pretty sure Magic could end all gang violence if just asked nicely.

Yes - and he poops out Hollywood starlets.

#40 Hyde Park Factor

• token lebanese

• 1,281 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:14 PM

KAPOW!

Actually, if history is any guide, you get positive results and a ton of PR initially, then a few years of 'meh', then a bunch of special treatment and involvement of strange/experimental drugs, and after 15 years you quietly announce that you're now getting negative results.

According to Steve Jobs, it's closer to 7 years.