Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Former Red Sox relief pitcher tested positive for 5 banned drugs

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 InsideTheParker

• SoSH Member

• 10923 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 09:58 AM

Of course, the NY Times prominently features a photo of Dustin Richardson in Boston uni, and only later makes clear he's more recently been the property of the Marlins and the Braves:
nytimes

“I’ve never seen a case like this, and we’re talking about 30 years I’ve been doing this kind of work,” said Don Catlin, an antidoping expert and former director of the U.C.L.A. Olympic Analytical Laboratory. “I’ve had doublets and triplets, but to have five, and have it cover three different subclasses of drugs, is unique, as far as I can tell.”

Richardson tested positive for three anabolic steroids — Methandienone, Methenelone and Trenbolone — that are fairly commonplace on their own, according to doping experts, but unusual in tandem.

On top of those, he tested positive for Letrozole, a drug that blocks the enzyme responsible for the production of estrogen, a process that commonly occurs as a byproduct of anabolic steroid use and is linked to several undesirable side effects.

Finally, Richardson also tested positive for amphetamines, which have been banned in baseball since 2006. Prescription medications like Adderall and Ritalin, which are used to treat attention deficit disorder, can cause a positive test for amphetamines, although it was not clear what drug Richardson had in his system.

#2 SeanBerry

• poopdragon

• 3226 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:24 AM

But he only pitched in the major leagues for the Red Sox. It makes perfect sense that they would show him in that uniform.

Not everything is a Red Sox witch hunt.

#3 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• now batting steve sal hiney. the leftfielder, hiney

• 25522 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:25 AM

But he only pitched in the major leagues for the Red Sox. It makes perfect sense that they would show him in that uniform.

It's not clear when he tested for the PEDs. Was it just this past November?

#4 InsideTheParker

• SoSH Member

• 10923 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:15 AM

It's not clear when he tested for the PEDs. Was it just this past November?

That's how I read it:

Richardson said her son was summoned for a random urine test on Nov. 15. Two weeks ago, he received a letter from the commissioner’s office informing him that he had tested positive and would be suspended for 50 games should he sign with a new club.

If it were any other than the most recent November, it would have been specified. That's why I thought it was inappropriate to run the RS photo on the headlines page.

#5 SeanBerry

• poopdragon

• 3226 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:26 AM

But that is from where he is most widely known. Honestly, if the guy was that much of a human pharmacy, I am sure this wasn't a new hobby and he was juicing with the Sox.

#6 sittingstill

• 1313 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:50 AM

But that is from where he is most widely known.

And also where the NYT is going to be able to get a photo from a major agency. AP doesn't send photographers to the minors very often.

Honestly, if the guy was that much of a human pharmacy, I am sure this wasn't a new hobby and he was juicing with the Sox.

Maybe, though it's also plausible that he was desperately trying everything he could to return to the majors.

#7 Average Reds

• SoSH Member

• 10315 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:51 AM

But that is from where he is most widely known. Honestly, if the guy was that much of a human pharmacy, I am sure this wasn't a new hobby and he was juicing with the Sox.

Agree with everything except for the notion that Dustin Richardson was ever "widely known"

#8 24JoshuaPoint

• Grand Theft Duvet

• 3279 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:51 AM

All that for 12 K's in the big leagues?

I wonder if he figured what the hell and tried everything he could starting this past off-season to bulk up and wasn't expecting a random test prior to spring training.

#9 DrewDawg

• SoSH Member

• 8889 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:57 AM

You'd think the OP would have titled the thread "Former Major Leaguer tested positive".Why does the OP hate the Red Sox?

#10 Steve Dillard

• wishes drew noticed him instead of sweet & sour

• 3673 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:28 PM

Personally I would have gone with the "Former Reality Star" and had a photo of him and Bobby Knight.

#11 AverageJoe

• 3 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:49 PM

“He’s very regretful,” she said. “Dustin realizes it was the biggest mistake of his life.”

You think???

And mom takes responsibility....what did she do mix it up in his orange juice?

Time for Dustin to grow up and take responsibility for his own actions mom.

#12 Sampo Gida

• 3130 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:00 AM

I wonder what happens when a player is on vacation, working out at API, or visiting the family in the DR for example. I assume he would not be required to go for a test if they can't reach him?.

I also wonder how much notice a player gets before he has to report for a test. I believe I read somewhere you can clear your body if given enough time (7 days?), perhaps faster with the use of diuretics.

Lastly, I wonder what is the penalty for not reporting, even if you received the letter. I mean, if you know you would test positive, why wouldn't you just hop on a plane and plead ignorance (saying you did not get, forgot, etc).?

It's almost like players have been told not to worry about the test results. I mean, Braun got caught during the playoffs when he must have known he would be tested.
Manny gets caught a 2nd time as if they weren't going to test him after getting caught. Maybe they are just dumb, but it's hard to believe.