Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Boston Bruins 2012 Trade Deadline

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
335 replies to this topic

#151 BoSoxFink

• Stripes

• 4734 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:16 PM

I think you answered your own statement.

Yea but you're missing his point. That is not considerable scoring depth. The way you talk is that they can't score at all without Horton in the lineup.

edit: ignore the second part, forgot about Pouliot

Edited by BoSoxFink, 07 February 2012 - 04:20 PM.

#152 FL4WL3SS

• Mrs. Dennis Wideman

• 6008 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:18 PM

Would you give up Caron and a pick if that ended up being what Carolina asked for on Ruutu?

I really have no problem with the Bruins trying to upgrade a few spots if they're dictating the price, but I don't think they should be prepared to overpay for a marginal upgrade that's unlikely to increase their chances of winning the cup. They're in a great position in that, as far as I'm concerned, they have no needs.

Also would you only be up selling the farm for a superstar d man? Or would you also be willing to go that route for Parise if he somehow became available, even though it is highly unlikely?

If there is a caliber player available that is in Parise's class, whether a defense or forward, then I have no problem selling the farm for that player. I'd much rather they try to upgrade the defense, but you can't argue what a guy like Parise would bring to the Bruins.

#153 Riles335

• Defiantly Definite

• 506 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:19 PM

You would be surprised if Phoenix could get a better package than Caron and Kampfer? Trading your leading scorer for two healthy scratches on most nights? Yeah I think they could do much better at the deadline with many teams bidding for Whitney's services.

Considering the Bruins were able to land Recchi and a 2nd round pick for Lashoff and Karsums back in 2009, a package consisting of Kamper and Caron is very similar.

Yea but you're missing his point. That is not considerable scoring depth. The way you talk is that they can't score at all without Horton in the lineup.

edit: ignore the second part, forgot about Pouliot

I don't think the Bruins can't score without Horton but I think without Horton it considerably lessens their offensive attack.

Edited by Riles335, 07 February 2012 - 04:21 PM.

#154 cshea

• SoSH Member

• 9417 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:33 PM

Phoenix is 2 points out of a playoff spot. Whitney's not going anywhere.

#155 Salem's Lot

• Andy Moog! Andy God Damn Moog!

• 1508 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:35 PM

Considering the Bruins were able to land Recchi and a 2nd round pick for Lashoff and Karsums back in 2009, a package consisting of Kamper and Caron is very similar.

Recchi scored 13 goals with the Lightning that year playing about 10 minutes a night (mostly power play) on a team that had a lot of offensive talent. He was on his 3rd team in 3 years. There may have been a feeling around the league that he was done, so there wasn't a ton of competition for his services. Whitney leads Phoenix in scoring, therefore there will be plenty of teams willing to give up more then two healthy scratches and a 2nd. IMO, any deal for this player starts with one of Spooner, Knight or Khokhlachev plus a 1st.

Edited by Salem's Lot, 07 February 2012 - 04:35 PM.

#156 BoSoxFink

• Stripes

• 4734 posts

I am not sure if anyone has mentioned it in here yet, and I know he was the butt of jokes around here for a while, but would anyone have interest in bringing back Hal Gill as the depth guy for defense? He is in the last year of his deal and has turned himself into a pretty good shutdown defender in his own end, while being a bumbling oaf in the offensive zone. He and Subban did a damn good job on the Krejci line last year in the playoffs. I would have some interest in picking him up at the right cost.

I know some people would throw it out there that they would like to put him with Chara, but I think that would be unwise as the two of them together may have great reach but any team with speed guys would be able to blow right by them. However if you go to Chara & Seidenberg in the playoffs and then maybe Gill & Ference as your top 4, that might not be too bad. With Boychuck and McQuaid rounding it out.

#157 The Napkin

• wise ass al kaprielian

• 13317 posts

Riles, how about you have some fun here for awhile.

#158 Spaulding Smails

• Worth a thousand words

• 2655 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:36 PM

3 things:

1. Tampa was the 2nd worst team in the NHL that season, Phoenix is only 2 pts from a playoff spot.

2. Whitney is on pace for 72 points this season, Recchi had only 45 points that season total. Whitney is the more dynamic offensive player at their respective ages.

3. You can't expect a team in playoff contention to trade their leading scorer for a bucket of pucks. Phoenix has a lot more at stake this season. Kampfer is worth about the same as he was when the Bruins traded for him, a 4th round pick.

#159 FL4WL3SS

• Mrs. Dennis Wideman

• 6008 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:38 PM

3 things:

1. Tampa was the 2nd worst team in the NHL that season, Phoenix is only 2 pts from a playoff spot.

2. Whitney is on pace for 72 points this season, Recchi had only 45 points that season total. Whitney is the more dynamic offensive player at their respective ages.

3. You can't expect a team in playoff contention to trade their leading scorer for a bucket of pucks. Phoenix has a lot more at stake this season. Kampfer is worth about the same as he was when the Bruins traded for him, a 4th round pick.

Recchi had 61 points in 08-09. He had 45 points when the Bruins traded for him.

Regardless, the point stands. The situations are completely different.

#160 BoSoxFink

• Stripes

• 4734 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:40 PM

3 things:

Minor quibble on point 2, you only looked at Recchi's stats with Tampa that season and forgot his stats with the Bruins. He actually ended the year with 61 points. What happened did you burn yourself while you were looking up the stats?

Your point still stands though, Phoenix will definitely get more for Whitney if they decide to trade him.

#161 Spaulding Smails

• Worth a thousand words

• 2655 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:41 PM

Yup my bad, the point is Whitney would be coveted by a lot of teams if he was made available and you are going to have to do a hell of a lot better than Caron and Kampfer to win that sweepstakes.

#162 Blacken

• Paddy Tanniger the Caddy Manager

• 7982 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:46 PM

Riles, how about you have some fun here for awhile.

Echo echo echo echo...

#163 smastroyin

• simpering whimperer

• 16456 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:47 PM

Cam playing everything really really close to the vest on F&M today. I'm guessing it is the same around the league, until the western conference playoff picture comes into a little more focus (12 teams within 3 pts of the playoffs) things may be slow or people may be overpaying.

Only thing that seems clear is that there is no way they are doing anything outlandish like trading Rask. Probably my own bias but he also sounded a worried about Horton coming back up to speed. I know I've made the point already, but it's important to note that the risk in this case isn't just the next hit, it's what he is already dealing with.

#164 Eddie Jurak

• Go Leafs Go

• 8688 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:13 PM

I'd still focus on either depth deals or a major upgrade. There's no sense in another Kaberle-type deal. I'd like to keep Caron - I don't think he's really had a legitimate shot at a job yet. He's only 20, and his production through his first 40 NHL games is probably not all that different from Marchand's. Too soon to rule him out. I'd trade Caron in a package for the major upgrade type deal, but no way that kind of deal happens without giving up at least one of Hamilton, Koko, Spooner, & Knight along with a high draft pick.

I'm particularly leery of deadline deals because whoever the pick up has so little time to fit in with the team. It works great with some guys (Kelly, Peverley, Recchi) but others fall flat (Kaberle, Montador).

#165 veritas

• 542 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:16 PM

Imagine if someone said "hey we should trade for Rich Peverley and Chris Kelly, THAT will make us a Stanley Cup caliber team" before the deadline last year? There are plenty of solid players on bad teams who aren't being talked about but could help the Bruins and not cost and arm and a leg.

A guy like Kyle Wellwood is a poor man's Peverley, on a 1-year deal and might be available for cheap. He can play center or wing and fill in on the PP, and would be an upgrade over Pouliot on the 3rd line.

Someone who might cost an arm and a leg but could be worth it...Ryan Malone. He's a top six guy, fits the "hard to play against" style, is a natural left winger, and signed for 2 more seasons. No idea what it'd cost to land him, could very well be unreasonable.

#166 PedroSpecialK

• Comes at you like a tornado of hair and the NHL salary cap

• 16834 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:08 AM

I would think the B's are averse to deals extending beyond next year because of Marchand, Lucic, and Seguin being RFA after that season. There's a reasonable assumption that each of the three will be worth $5m+ AAV going forward from the expiration of their current deals, and though Peverley ($3.25m), Krejci ($5.25m), Chara ($~7m), and McQuaid ($1.567m) will be the only other B's signed at that point, if those three average $5.667m AAV between them, that creates just over $34m for these 7 against the cap, and that creates a hairy situation as far as filling out the rest of the roster is concerned outside of ELCs/short-term 1-way deals.

For this reason, I don't see Malone as a legitimate option - and given Wellwood's history of poor conditioning (to put it lightly) I would not be a big fan at all of acquiring him.

#167 FL4WL3SS

• Mrs. Dennis Wideman

• 6008 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:38 AM

I'm still holding out hope that Phoenix will trade Doan at some point.

A girl can dream.

#168 smastroyin

• simpering whimperer

• 16456 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:43 AM

I realize they won a Cup and I'm extremely happy about it. I realize that if things were different they probably wouldn't have traded for Peverley, who I love on this team. But in thinking how much I would like them to have another top 6, I just have to say, one more time.

Fuck you Matt Cooke.

#169 j44thor

• 4022 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:14 AM

A possible nice depth move would be Vaclav Prospal from CBJ who are going nowhere and need everything.
Really too bad the B's don't have a #2 this year because that would probably be a fair price for his services. He is a UFA signed for cheap and fellow Czech so perhaps playing with Chara/Krejci would help him raise his game.

I'd rather buy low on a Prospal than buy high on Ruutu who is near a career high goal scoring pace.

#170 Spaulding Smails

• Worth a thousand words

• 2655 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:28 AM

Looks like Prospal signed a 1 year extension a few minutes after you posted haha.

https://twitter.com/#!/GMScottHowson/status/167264299528617984
link to tweet

#171 PedroSpecialK

• 16834 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:35 AM

What a weird thing to do... he's second on the team in points behind Nash, is a known commodity, the Jackets almost certainly won't be competing next year (and if they do, chances are they'd get less for him at the deadline then than they will now)... why not trade him now?

Unless, of course, they still plan on trading him and he requested an extra season wherever he's traded to. Nonetheless, I am left scratching my head.

#172 cshea

• SoSH Member

• 9417 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:59 AM

Even if he wanted an extension, Columbus could've gotten a wink wink agreement on terms of an extension from him, and then Tkachuk'd him.

#173 j44thor

• 4022 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:20 AM

Yeah this is up their in bizarre signings. If you are Prospal don't you want to go play for a contender and if you are CBJ don't you want to get whatever you can for a 36YO who will probably be retired the next time you field a competitive team.

Guess this is what happens when GM's/Coaches are in save your job mode and not doing what is best for the franchise.

Still don't understand why Prospal would sign a 1yr deal though.

#174 TheShynessClinic

• SoSH's Doug Neidermeyer

• 5834 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:50 PM

Somewhere, Riles is crying into his Ruutu Bruins 3rd Jersey:

Pierre LeBrun @Real_ESPNLeBrun

Canes GM Jim Rutherford says he has met with Tuomo Ruutu and decided he wants to try and re-sign the pending UFA forward.

Retweeted by Darren Dreger

#175 PedroSpecialK

• 16834 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 05:00 PM

Jim Rutherford isn't particularly bright, it seems.

#176 BigMike

• SoSH Member

• 18098 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 05:11 PM

Jim Rutherford isn't particularly bright, it seems.

Yeah having read somewhere (maybe here, to lazy to look back), where Ruuto thinks he is a 5 milion a year player. He is a nice player, but not a core guy you build your team around. Carolina should be moving him

#177 cshea

• SoSH Member

• 9417 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:41 PM

No trade news or anything, but I'm sticking this in here since Horton's injury will probably dictate what the Bruins do in the next 2 and a half weeks before the deadline.

Julien confirmed today that Horton's been shut down, per the Bruins twitter. He tried to skate earlier in the week, and the symptoms returned. So they're back to square one. No timetable or anything, but I'd assume he's going to be out atleast through the deadline at a minimum.

#178 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30160 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:04 PM

Here's the info on it:

BOSTON -- Bruins forward Nathan Horton is experiencing symptoms again from a concussion he suffered on Jan. 22, and as a result the team has decided to “pull back” on his possible return to the ice.

He began skating last week but felt lingering effects from the injury. Horton last skated on Sunday.

“He’s been pulled back and he has some symptoms,” said Bruins coach Claude Julien. “He’s back to square one and we’re giving him some time. Those symptoms, once he got on the ice, came back.”

Before Horton was given clearance to skate on his own late last week, he was progressing and the team felt confident he could begin to skate.

#179 JimBoSox9

• will you be my friend?

• 12242 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:53 PM

That is devastating and in this poster's opinion definitely moves a top-6 forward to the tippy top of the Trade Deadlines Target list. You have to act at this point as if he's not coming back this season.

#180 NYCSox

• chris hansen of goats

• 6311 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:15 PM

If Horton is indeed questionable to return, then they have to do something in terms of someone like Iginla. I don't think Phoenix is going to punt as IMO they are probably the team best positioned to grab one of the last playoff spots. If not Iginla, then a Ryan Smyth rental.

But they can't stand pat with a third line of Pouliot, Kellly and Caron. That puts way too much pressure on the first two lines to produce.

#181 erfus

• 1576 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:33 PM

If Horton is indeed questionable to return, then they have to do something in terms of someone like Iginla. I don't think Phoenix is going to punt as IMO they are probably the team best positioned to grab one of the last playoff spots. If not Iginla, then a Ryan Smyth rental.

But they can't stand pat with a third line of Pouliot, Kellly and Caron. That puts way too much pressure on the first two lines to produce.

I agree that Pouliot-Kelly-Caron is suboptimal, but Iginla though? Horton's a 20-something goal scorer, I don't think they have to go out and get Jarome Iginla to offset that. Seems like an overreaction, one which would empty the farm system. I still think they can wait it out for a complimentary guy like a Jason Blake. I don't see a need for desperation here, another Peverley type of deal is probably an OK hedge of your bets that Horton doesn't come back.

#182 j44thor

• 4022 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:47 PM

I think Iginla is going to cost too much since there is likely a team with a greater need and desire to win the cup. I'd rather see the B's do something along the likes of a Lee Stempniak for 3rd and a 7th D for B/C prospects and leave the high end prospects alone.
The B's have a chance to be a cup contender for an 8-10 year stretch. I think it would be foolish to cut short that window by selling the farm to increase their cup odds 5-10% this year.

#183 cshea

• SoSH Member

• 9417 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 04:03 PM

I'd love to get Iginla, but Calgary is pretty delusional and they seem to think they can still win with him. I don't see that changing within the next 17 days. Maybe next year when he's set to become a UFA, Calgary finally decides to move on.

Jason Blake is a nice player, but he doesn't seem to fit in the Bruins mold. He's pretty soft, and doesn't seem like the type of player this front office would be interested in.

Ryan Smyth is pretty intriguing. I think he'd fit in real well. He could work the front of the net on the PP, and skate on that 3rd line with Pouliot and Kelly. Only problem is the NTC. He forced his way off a pretty good LA team and back to the league worst Oilers over the summer due to family issues. No idea if he'd be willing to waive the NTC to come East for a few months.

#184 NYCSox

• chris hansen of goats

• 6311 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:59 PM

The B's have a chance to be a cup contender for an 8-10 year stretch. I think it would be foolish to cut short that window by selling the farm to increase their cup odds 5-10% this year.

Way too much can happen in 8-10 years. Any analysis of 2016 is meaningless right now. If you can become a cup favorite this year by making a deal then you have to go for it. Note that I'm not advocating an overpayment by any means, but rather they should not be afraid to move some prospects/picks now in order to maximize their chances of winning now.

Meanwhile here is another option, though if he becomes available I would expect the Wings to be at the front of the line,

Veteran Teemu Selanne dearly wants to represent the Anaheim Ducks in the postseason -- that much is clear. But if a playoff berth appears out of reach two-plus weeks from now, the 41-year- old Finn won't rule out joining a contending club via trade. He just isn't all that enthusiastic about discussing the possibility.

"Everybody in this room believes we can make the playoffs. That would be almost wrong to think about any other option," Selanne told reporters, including ESPN.com's Craig Custance. "(A trade) is not in my mind right now. Let's see what happens. The main focus right now (is) today and this road trip. This road trip is going to pretty much decide which direction we're going to go."

#185 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30160 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:38 AM

Hurricanes defenseman Jaro Spacek received a strong tickle from Chiarelli as a free agent in July 2009, but the Canadiens trumped everyone with a three-year deal worth just under $12 million. Spacek was dealt to Carolina this season in the Tomas Kaberle swap and likely will be dumped again by the cellar-dwelling ’Canes.

With Joe Corvo’s contribution so minimal, Spacek’s addition here could be key, both for insurance and to add some day-to-day job competition. He also is known for having a comic touch in the room.

Both Corvo and Spacek are unrestricted free agents as of July 1, so getting Spacek now could give Chiarelli a slight advantage at the negotiating table if he wanted to bring back one or both for next season.

A more vital player on the Carolina roster for the Bruins to consider is veteran center/wing Tuomo Ruutu. He has to be one of their targets, especially with Nathan Horton’s lingering concussion issues. Ruutu becomes an unrestricted free agent July 1.

The biggest wild card could be whether the Ducks, who did not respond to the move to bring in new coach Bruce Boudreau, act on rumors to deal Bobby Ryan and/or Corey Perry. Ryan would attract huge interest on Causeway Street, though it likely would come down to Chiarelli having to offer a package that included one core player (Milan Lucic or David Krejci?) and stud prospect Doug Hamilton.

http://bostonglobe.c...JfcL/story.html

#186 PedroSpecialK

• 16834 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:39 AM

KPD proves again he's a hack just mailing it in, the Ducks are 11-2-3 in their last 16. What a poor response.

Anyway, wouldnt love seeing Spacek here but if the price is right, there are worse options.

Edited by PedroSpecialK, 12 February 2012 - 08:48 AM.

#187 erfus

• 1576 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:31 AM

KPD proves again he's a hack just mailing it in, the Ducks are 11-2-3 in their last 16. What a poor response.

Anyway, wouldnt love seeing Spacek here but if the price is right, there are worse options.

I think he'd be a pure salary dump given the last couple of seasons he's had, so the Bs would be well-poised to absorb that as a rental to add to their depth. I guess that would be kind of a fall-back addition if there's nothing else out there at a reasonable price. Something they could do right at the deadline...I can't imagine anyone would be beating down the door to get Spacek.

What's the deal with Zidlicky in Minnesota? He's reportedly fallen out of favor. I haven't seen much of the Wild so I'm not sure if his performance has cratered, but he's always been one of those guys I liked as a competent and consistent offensive performer. He's 35 now, so maybe he's lost his wheels.

#188 cshea

• SoSH Member

• 9417 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:53 AM

Kypreos is reporting that the Oilers have re-signed Andy Sutton, so cross him off the list. I would've liked him as a last minute depth guy.

http://www.sportsnet...on_oilers_deal/

According to sportsnet.ca’s Nick Kypreos, another defenceman may be off the trading block as Andy Sutton and the Edmonton Oilers have presumably agreed to a one-year deal in the region of $1.75 million.

Forward wise- anyone interested in maybe bringing back Mike Knuble? He's been a healthy scratch for the Caps of late, and is having a pretty miserable year (3g, 8a). He might be a pretty cheap guy they could pick up and plug in on the 3rd line/PP. $2 million cap hit, UFA at the end of the year.

#189 Blacken

• 7982 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:18 AM

What's the deal with Zidlicky in Minnesota? He's reportedly fallen out of favor. I haven't seen much of the Wild so I'm not sure if his performance has cratered, but he's always been one of those guys I liked as a competent and consistent offensive performer. He's 35 now, so maybe he's lost his wheels.

At first it looked like player/coach clashing, but now it looks like he's just turning into a pumpkin. I want nothing to do with him.

#190 Tyrone Biggums

• nfl meets tri-annually at a secret country mansion in colorado,

• 3387 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:15 PM

You would be surprised if Phoenix could get a better package than Caron and Kampfer? Trading your leading scorer for two healthy scratches on most nights? Yeah I think they could do much better at the deadline with many teams bidding for Whitney's services.

Both of these guys have little to no value in any big trade, the best you can hope for is to swap them to another team for a player or two in the same boat with the other organization.

The only way we get a top 6 forward is if we deal Thomas for one, in that case you also have to be ready for the fan backlash and more importantly to pay Rask. Rask I've actually been pretty impressed with this year, I think he's ready, then again goaltenders can be pretty fickle in terms of results. There are a lot more goalies that have 1-2 good seasons, show promise, and then washout of the league. The fact that Thomas has been able to forge quite a stellar career (starting it very late in the NHL) shouldn't be overlooked either.

I think other than beefing up the 3rd-4th lines and a 5th d-man we should be fine. Although, Horton's injury is very concerning.

#191 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30160 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:20 AM

Season	Age Tm  Lg  GP   G   A PTS  GC +/- PIM EV PP SH GW  S   S%   TOI  ATOI
2009-10	33 TOT NHL  73  15  30  45  16 -10  20 10  5  0  2  131 11.5  1599 21:54
2010-11	34 ANA NHL  81  18  50  68  23  18  24 13  5  0  4  152 11.8  1968 24:18
2011-12	35 ANA NHL  41   5  16  21   7   2  16  4  1  0  1   80  6.3   907 22:08

Any interest in Lubomir Visnovsky, who has 1/5.6M left next year?

ASSETS: Is a solid power-play performer blessed with a blistering shot from the point. Skates very well and possesses great quickness. Adept in the transition game, he likes to lug the puck up ice and has excellent offensive instincts.

FLAWS: Is well below average in terms of his size for NHL defensemen, so he has trouble handling big forwards at the highest level. Is somewhat injury-prone.

CAREER POTENTIAL: Veteran power play quarterback.

#192 PedroSpecialK

• 16834 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:02 AM

Considering his overall abilities, his cap hit, his contract expiration, and his play since he got back from injury, he seems like he'd be the best overall fit without costing the farm.

However, if Anaheim keeps winning (they won again last night) they'd be crazy not to go for it, given their core.

#193 cshea

• SoSH Member

• 9417 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:40 AM

I actually think the Ducks should punt. They're hot right now, but are still 9 points behind the Coyotes. Phoenix is roughly on a 91 point pace, so if you use that as a target for the Ducks, they need to go somewhere around 19-8 or better in their remaining 27 games to get in. Not impossible, but not very likely either. Given that there are like 25 buyers and 5 sellers at this point, I think the Ducks are better off trying to get someone to overpay for some of their UFA's like Koivu and Blake.

I like Visnovsky, but I'm sort of through with the puck mover merry-go-round here. Given he's got a year left on his deal, I think he'd be expensive. Anaheim would be stupid not to use the Kaberle package from a year ago as a starting point for him, and I think that's too much.

#194 Spaulding Smails

• Worth a thousand words

• 2655 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:35 AM

Forward wise- anyone interested in maybe bringing back Mike Knuble? He's been a healthy scratch for the Caps of late, and is having a pretty miserable year (3g, 8a). He might be a pretty cheap guy they could pick up and plug in on the 3rd line/PP. $2 million cap hit, UFA at the end of the year.

I haven't seen much of Knuble this season but can anyone give any insight as to whether he has anything left in the tank? Despite the stats this year I would definitely be interested in throwing him on the third line, always was a huge fan of his game. Consistent 20 goal scorer for nearly a decade, could his game really have gone to shit that fast this year?

#195 The Four Peters

• can peacefully dougie off this mortal coil

• 10951 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:49 AM

Well we all saw what happened to Glen Murray, his skills just evaporated overnight. Not saying that's definitely what happened, but it's certainly possible.

#196 PedroSpecialK

• 16834 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:58 AM

Knuble's brought very little in the ten or so games I've seen the Caps play (or nine considering he was a scratch in favor of Jay Beagle in the last one). If he comes for a 7th rounder that'd be OK as the B's have cap space to burn.

Cshea I get what you're saying with Visnovsky, but he should have been a Norris candidate last year and has the only positive Corsi (along with Fowler) among Ducks d-men this year. In my mind, he's much more Toby Enstrom than Marc-Andre Bergeron.

#197 Titoschew

• 2842 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:47 AM

Rick Nash might be available....

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=387786

#198 Scoops Bolling

• 2829 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:09 AM

Rick Nash might be available....

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=387786

7.8 million cap hit through 2017-18. As great a player as he is, I worry about whether the team could retain the forward core (minus whoever is traded for Nash, as it would almost certainly include a Top 6 guy) with Nash's salary on the books. Given the way the team's contracts are set up, I think I'd prefer that they get a guy to plug in for this year and maybe one additional year rather than someone who's going to take up a huge chunk of cap space when we need to try and retain the pieces we already have.

#199 Blacken

• 7982 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:16 AM

I know it will never happen. I'm not even sure I would want it to happen.

But Krejci(+) for Nash would trend very close to tentes pantalones.

Edited by Blacken, 14 February 2012 - 11:17 AM.

#200 TheShynessClinic

• SoSH's Doug Neidermeyer

• 5834 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:17 AM

7.8 million cap hit through 2017-18. As great a player as he is, I worry about whether the team could retain the forward core (minus whoever is traded for Nash, as it would almost certainly include a Top 6 guy) with Nash's salary on the books. Given the way the team's contracts are set up, I think I'd prefer that they get a guy to plug in for this year and maybe one additional year rather than someone who's going to take up a huge chunk of cap space when we need to try and retain the pieces we already have.

I doubt Columbus wants anyone currently in the NHL - they need to rebuild from the bottom up with young guys. They really have no core to build off of right now.

Nash is the kind of goal scoring winger (30+ in last 5 of 6 seasons) the Bruins have wanted/needed for a while. He's not Kessel soft, and he's consistently elite. He's played in 70+ games in all but one full season in his career, so he's durable. He's still young (only 27)..I mean, he's the kind of guy that takes the Bruins from top 5 to elite in a cocaine heartbeat.

I think a package of 2012 and 2013 1st round picks, Knight, and Koko could be enough.