Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Boston Bruins 2012 Trade Deadline

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
335 replies to this topic

#51 ForceAtHome

• 4,012 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 06:04 PM

I took FAH to be saying it would take Seguin or Hamilton+, not both combined.

Indeed. And since we can assume Seguin is off the table, I can't imagine Nashville accepting anything less than Hamilton. I still think Suter stays, but if he goes, I think he's going to command an already drafted stud of a prospect (plus some, perhaps, depending on the player/team).

Edited by ForceAtHome, 26 January 2012 - 06:04 PM.

#52 BoSoxFink

• Stripes

• 4,827 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 06:15 PM

Indeed. And since we can assume Seguin is off the table, I can't imagine Nashville accepting anything less than Hamilton. I still think Suter stays, but if he goes, I think he's going to command an already drafted stud of a prospect (plus some, perhaps, depending on the player/team).

I have to agree, I really don't see anyway the Bruins could acquire him without Hamilton being a part of it since we all know Seguin is off limits

#53 Riles335

• Defiantly Definite

• 506 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 06:38 PM

I have to agree, I really don't see anyway the Bruins could acquire him without Hamilton being a part of it since we all know Seguin is off limits

Would you be willing to part with Hamilton for Suter? I sure would. Suter is only 26 and will be around for a very, very long time. He is a proven compared to an unproven.

What do you think though? Want to hear some other peoples views about a Hamilton package for Suter.

#54 cshea

• SoSH Member

• 9,858 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 06:43 PM

If he was extended, yes.

However, I can't recall a single NHL trade where a guy worked out an extension with the acquiring team before being moved. So that won't happen.

(Also, nitpick, but he just turned 27)

#55 BoSoxFink

• Stripes

• 4,827 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:00 PM

Would you be willing to part with Hamilton for Suter? I sure would. Suter is only 26 and will be around for a very, very long time. He is a proven compared to an unproven.

What do you think though? Want to hear some other peoples views about a Hamilton package for Suter.

As chea has said I am not sure I would do it if only because there really is not guarantee he will resign here before hitting free agency. Of course there is a possibilty he could resign after the season, a la Kovalchuk, but that certainly hasn't worked out for the Devils so well. I would be afraid he would Hossa the Bruins and walk away in free agency. That is a huge risk to take trading away someone like Hamilton who is a pretty good bet to be at least a serviceable NHL d man and probably more and whom is under your control for a long time to come.

Edited by BoSoxFink, 26 January 2012 - 07:03 PM.

#56 Riles335

• Defiantly Definite

• 506 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:02 PM

If he was extended, yes.

However, I can't recall a single NHL trade where a guy worked out an extension with the acquiring team before being moved. So that won't happen.

(Also, nitpick, but he just turned 27)

All very true so in that case, is the offer for Suter that substantial still? In other words, does any team offer up their Hamilton without a contract extension because like you said, its rare that they extend before the trade. So do the demands of Suter and Nashville lower? Although it would still take a considerable package to obtain him, I don't think it would take a Hamilton type of prospect to land him. Maybe a 1B but not a 1A. In that sense it becomes another Kaberle type of deal which would be just as appealing and possibly more. Who knows.

Edited by Riles335, 26 January 2012 - 07:16 PM.

#57 smastroyin

• simpering whimperer

• 17,199 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:23 PM

It is nice to talk about a guy like Suter but since the B's don't really need a superstar I'm not sure they are in position where they would offer as much as some other teams. Obviously it is something they should look at, but I see them making a move for a 2nd pairing guy more than a legit top ten defenseman in the league. Something where they give up a Caron as opposed to a Hamilton.

#58 FL4WL3SS

• Mrs. Dennis Wideman

• 6,403 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:29 PM

I am not sure where all your hate comes from but it would be better left behind so we can talk sports. If you are still laughing at my pairings, then you in fact live a sad life. Lets leave your sideswipes and angry out of this so we can talk sports in a proper manner.

Just because I listed Seidenberg as the third pairing doesn't mean I want him getting sub 20 minutes per night and Boychuk at 22 plus minutes a night. LIke I said, I think that ideally Seidenberg is a number 3 defenseman on a championship caliber team. Just because Seidenberg was our number two last year and we won the Stanley Cup doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement. Last year the Bruins got a ton of lucky breaks (as every team needs) but were also one bounce away from losing in the first round and having many changes made to this franchise. There is room for improvement here.

To answer your questions regarding other teams and that there is someone available.

1) This conversation has nothing to do with other teams and what other teams have as their number 2 defenseman. There are a lot of crappy NHL teams out there right now so it does nobody any good to compare yourself to other teams around the league especially if you are in hopes of repeating as Cup champions.
2) There is a guy out there and we are discussing him as we speak. Ryan Suter is available and is better than Seidenberg. I would be more than happy to have Seidenberg as my number 2 defenseman going into the playoffs but I wouldn't be surprised to see the flaws of this defensive core shown because it will be really, really hard to have the type of goal tending we had last year, this year. There are multiple times last year in which the Bruins were saved by Thomas. It is very unlikely that we will see the 2011 Playoff Tim Thomas during the course of the 2012 Playoffs. He was just insanely good. So in fact there is someone out there that would in fact better the Bruins and slip ahead of Seidenberg because Suter is a much greater player than Seidenberg.

You also seem to have disregarded my second post saying that I would like to see Chara and Seidenberg come back together during the playoffs to recreate that shutdown pairing. Right now in the midst of the regular season, if they were to land Suter, it would be important to save the minutes of Chara and Seidenberg, and give minutes to Boychuk and McQuaid in hopes of bettering their game. This isn't a sprint, its a marathon and right now the best thing for Chara before the playoffs would be limited minutes. Additionally, to your point, there is something about breaking up your top rated defenseman and bettering your "depth" defenseman. We saw it last year when Chara paired with Boychuk for a good chunk of the season. Claude knew that come playoff time he would bring Chara and Seidenberg together but during the course of the marathon, he wanted to propell Boychuk. That is why I brought together the pairings of Chara/Boychuk, Suter/Ference, Seidenberg/Mcquaid during the regular season because with that defensive rotation you could in fact get away with giving everybody close to 20 minutes instead of running Chara at 23+ minutes a night. The fact that you would like to run Chara and Seidenberg up towards 23-25 minutes a night after a long, enduring 2011, with a shortened 2011-12 offseason, would be foolish.

There is a real chance that the Predators would listen to an offer of a Dougie Hamilton package. If I am the Bruins, with Chara and Tim Thomas as your backbone, you have to always be in a win now mode. The young guns on this team are nice and they are encouraging but the backbone and Cup talent on this team lays on Chara and Thomas. Ryan Suter is in fact only 26 and one of the best defenseman in the league, it would be hard to turn down an offer for him even if it is for Hamilton and others.

Tell me more.

#59 Riles335

• Defiantly Definite

• 506 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:36 PM

Stay classy Flawless. No need to ruin the thread.

#60 JimBoSox9

• will you be my friend?

• 13,054 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 01:41 PM

I am not sure where all your hate comes from but it would be better left behind so we can talk sports. If you are still laughing at my pairings, then you in fact live a sad life. Lets leave your sideswipes and angry out of this so we can talk sports in a proper manner.

Now this is what I'm still laughing at.

Edit: To add substance, I'd seriously consider trading Hamilton even if an extension is uncertain, but I've always been rabidly pro-deadline deal for my teams when they have a real chance to make a playoff run.

Edited by JimBoSox9, 27 January 2012 - 01:44 PM.

#61 Riles335

• Defiantly Definite

• 506 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 01:59 PM

Now this is what I'm still laughing at.

Edit: To add substance, I'd seriously consider trading Hamilton even if an extension is uncertain, but I've always been rabidly pro-deadline deal for my teams when they have a real chance to make a playoff run.

I think its a chance worth taking as well. The Bruins have a bright future ahead of them which could really lure Suter into wanting to stay here. I am not sure how he takes playing in a big city with a large media market since he has played his professional hockey in Nashville but the future ahead for the Bruins must be appealing.

#62 FL4WL3SS

• Mrs. Dennis Wideman

• 6,403 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 02:01 PM

Stay classy Flawless. No need to ruin the thread.

How did I ruin the thread there pumpkin?

In no way was I angry or spewing hate. Grow some thicker skin - I was giving you a hard time.

#63 Curtis_Lesspanic

• 512 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 02:04 PM

It is nice to talk about a guy like Suter but since the B's don't really need a superstar I'm not sure they are in position where they would offer as much as some other teams. Obviously it is something they should look at, but I see them making a move for a 2nd pairing guy more than a legit top ten defenseman in the league. Something where they give up a Caron as opposed to a Hamilton.

Same here. But Chiarelli wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't have a Batphone to Nashville given who they could potentially deal. Even if it is to just artificially inflate what, say Philly, has to fork over.

Personally, given the way this team is built for the next couple of years, I would be fine giving up Hamilton if It yeilds a top tier talent. The point is to win cups and the time to win them is now.

But like I said earlier, realisticly, I would have no problem with Gleason/Lydman/Ruttu/etc... as long as the additions meshed with what this teams strenghts are.

#64 Curtis_Lesspanic

• 512 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 02:09 PM

And to add on, I feel the same way about Parise. If there is a forward availibe that would compliment what this team excells at more than him please let me know. I know the scuttlebut is that he's almost a lock to head to the Wild in the offseason but I'd take a chance on a guy like him.

#65 PedroSpecialK

• Comes at you like a tornado of hair and the NHL salary cap

• 17,086 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:30 AM

LeBrun tweets:

Ryan Suter just said during his media availability that he doesn't think he'll sign before trade deadline... Feel it would be distraction

But I would also say Suter sounded like a guy who loves it in Nashville and will give the Preds very much a fair chance before July 1

His story.

Posted Image

#66 RoyalOrange

• 142 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:35 AM

Has there really never been any kind of precedent for a UFA agreeing to extend with a team he is traded to, before the deal is done? Like some have said, if we had reason to believe he would stay, I'd absolutely deal Dougie for Suter.

FLAW, you are truly the master of starting an argument in the most condescending way, following it with a little trolling, and finishing with an "I didn't even do anything" remark. I applaud you.

#67 smastroyin

• simpering whimperer

• 17,199 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 09:34 AM

Personally, given the way this team is built for the next couple of years, I would be fine giving up Hamilton if It yeilds a top tier talent. The point is to win cups and the time to win them is now.

If you have a good chance to extend the guy you get then absolutely.

The way I see it is that this team has shown that with their current team they are capable of being the best team in hockey. What does additional top tier talent give them? Obviously a better chance of playing at that level, but how much? I mean, as I said in the other thread, I get the Corvo hate but even playing poorly the team's fortunes have not rested on him, he is not much different now than he was in November/December, just the rest of the team is playing at a lower level so it becomes more apparent.

What it comes down to for me is that the team is built really well to win right now, but also has a pretty long window which a guy like Hamilton can step into. I would rather be the Red Wings than the Ducks (I know, no shit). That said, I also realize that when we are talking about Suter we are talking about a guy that most here would be happy to give a 7 year deal to and not really bat an eyelash.

I also agree on Parise. I wonder what the Devils would be looking for. He strikes me as nearly a guaranteed rental so his price probably wouldn't be as high, but who knows.

#68 FelixMantilla

• reincarnated mr hate

• 8,731 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 05:52 PM

In general I don't like trading young players because I remember how it bit the Bruins in the ass in the past.

In 1967 the Boston Bruins lost 22 year old Bernie Parent in the NHL Expansion Draft.
The Bruins chose to keep Gerry Cheevers (27 at the time) and Ed Johnston (32 at the time)
Parent ended up in the Hockey Hall of Fame.

In 1971 the Bruins traded 21 year old Rick MacLeish and 23 year old Dan Schock to Philadelphia for 26 year old Mike Walton.
Walton scored 60 goals for the Bruins over four seasons. He left for the WHA in 1973-74.
MacLeish ended his career in 1983-84 after scoring 349 goals in his NHL career while Shock scored only one.

In 1972 the Bruins traded 23 year old Ivan Boldirev to the California Golden Seals for Rich Leduc and Chris Oddleifson.
Boldirev ended his career in 1984-85 after scoring 361 goals in his NHL career.
Leduc scored 4 goals in his Bruins career. Oddleifson scored 10 goals in his Bruins career.

Also in 1972 the Bruins traded 21 year old Reggie Leach, along with Rick Smith and Bob Stewart to the California Golden Seals for Carol Vadnais and Don O’Donoghue.
Leach’s NHL career ended in 1982-83 after he had scored 381 goals. Vadnais at least helped bring us Brad Park and Jean Ratelle.

I cannot tell you how much it sucked to see Parent, Leach and MacLeish skate around with the Stanley Cup after defeating the Bruins in 1974.

Edited by FelixMantilla, 28 January 2012 - 05:53 PM.

#69 Blacken

• Paddy Tanniger the Caddy Manager

• 8,686 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:38 PM

But can you tell us whether Preparation H is still the leading ass-cream among the old-to-older demographic?

#70 kenneycb

• Hates Goose Island Beer; Loves Backdoor Play

• 7,389 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:49 PM

Meh, everyone remembers the people that go on to become something. People aren't really crying about the losses of Matt Lashoff, Martin Karsums, Petteri Nokelainen or Vladimir Sobotka.

#71 erfus

• 1,592 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:03 PM

Hamilton's turned himself into an elite prospect. Independent of whether or not he falls on his face when he gets his NHL shot, his present-day value is much higher than a rental player be it Suter or Parise.

#72 FelixMantilla

• reincarnated mr hate

• 8,731 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 09:44 PM

All I'm saying is trade the "wrong" young player and you will never forget the mistake you made.

#73 PedroSpecialK

• 17,086 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 10:17 PM

Like, say, Tyler Seguin? :)

Even in light of giving up Colborne, I have faith in this FO and their current scouting staff. Chia missed out in '06 dealing Versteeg, but that's just about the only real 'miss' they've had.

Edited by PedroSpecialK, 28 January 2012 - 10:24 PM.

#74 j44thor

• 4,288 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:58 PM

When did Suter become a stud? Guy has cracked 40pts once and never topped 9G. I wouldn't trade Hamilton straight up for Suter. Don't get me wrong he is a good player but I'm not sure he is better than Seids when we consider overall game. He certainly isn't in the same discussion as Shea Weber who I would include Hamilton for.

Suter reminds me a lot of Derek Morris or Joni Pitkanen, puck mover but just adequate in their own zone. Not much of a defensive presence in either the hit or shot blocking dept.

#75 PedroSpecialK

• 17,086 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 12:03 AM

He is bar-none one of the best defensive d-men in hockey. I would say he is unequivocably better than Weber in his own end to boot.

#76 Riles335

• Defiantly Definite

• 506 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 12:03 AM

When did Suter become a stud? Guy has cracked 40pts once and never topped 9G. I wouldn't trade Hamilton straight up for Suter. Don't get me wrong he is a good player but I'm not sure he is better than Seids when we consider overall game. He certainly isn't in the same discussion as Shea Weber who I would include Hamilton for.

Suter reminds me a lot of Derek Morris or Joni Pitkanen, puck mover but just adequate in their own zone. Not much of a defensive presence in either the hit or shot blocking dept.

Reminds you of Derek Morris? Like the Derek Morris who played for the Bruins a few seasons ago? ... Huh...

Suter is one of the best defensive defenseman in the game today. He is incredible reliable in his own end who makes almost zero mistakes. He also is a shut down defenseman who consistently plays against the opposing top lines. Not to mention that he can man the power play and be strong in the offensive zone.

I do agree with you that Weber is a better player but Suter is a 1B type of defenseman.

#77 j44thor

• 4,288 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 12:27 AM

Reminds you of Derek Morris? Like the Derek Morris who played for the Bruins a few seasons ago? ... Huh...

Suter is one of the best defensive defenseman in the game today. He is incredible reliable in his own end who makes almost zero mistakes. He also is a shut down defenseman who consistently plays against the opposing top lines. Not to mention that he can man the power play and be strong in the offensive zone.

I do agree with you that Weber is a better player but Suter is a 1B type of defenseman.

No the Derek Morris that at age 25 put up 11G, 37A. Suter's best offensive output is 39 pts.

#78 Riles335

• Defiantly Definite

• 506 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 01:03 AM

No the Derek Morris that at age 25 put up 11G, 37A. Suter's best offensive output is 39 pts.

Derek Morris can only dream about the things that Suter does in his own end. Suter is as reliable as they come and one who makes hardly any mistakes. He is the definition of a rock. Morris on the other hand is a puck coughing disaster who is boarder line terrible in his own zone. His offensive skill set is good but its hardly anything special. Suter is strong in the offensive zone, very good on the power play, but more importantly great in his own zone. Suter's play in the defensive zone is as good as it gets. Why are you so zoned into offensive production for defenseman?

#79 PedroSpecialK

• 17,086 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 01:08 AM

Riles is right - Suter is at the ASG solely for how he can control a game in his own end. Any offensive production is gravy.

#80 j44thor

• 4,288 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 01:21 AM

I'll admit that I don't watch a lot of Preds games but there is nothing that jumps out of the stat sheet that makes Suter look like a stud. Perhaps he is a poor mans Lidstrom and not a Paul Martin. When I think of defensive stalwarts I prefer to see a player that either takes the body more or blocks more shots. I did think he was the best player for team USA in the olympics a few years ago but I haven't seen that level of play since.

#81 smastroyin

• simpering whimperer

• 17,199 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:44 AM

The thing is is that Weber and Suter really feed off of each other. I can see a case for saying that any GM will have to be leery of how they will mesh with someone else. They are very good players in their own rights but they work really really well together. Weber traditionally is a lot less active in the o-zone when not playing with Suter. So I guess I could see the point of the Bruins not really having a guy to pair Suter with that could similarly take advantage. But, he would be a great guy for a second pairing with Boychuk, putting Seids and Chara back together, and doing the same (or similar) job as Z does now in giving Boychuk a little more freedom to be aggressive with the puck.

I also think that we can all agree that much of the recent slump seems to have come in the form of sloppy defensive play, so I can see the argument that a guy like Suter helps put a stop to that, while giving you the freedom to give Chara and Seids a few less minutes (Chara in particular I think was looking a little tired toward the end of this last run).

That said, I think I still agree with the general premise that I wouldn't give up Dougie for him.

edit: I just re-read and my first paragraph sounds like I am merely devaluing them both. That wasn't my intent. My intent was to show part of Suter's value is that by being so solid in his own end, he gives Weber the freedom to attack. I also don't watch many Preds games at all, but this seems to be the consensus of the analysts on the interwebs.

#82 RoyalOrange

• 142 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 03:58 PM

I'll admit that I don't watch a lot of Preds games but there is nothing that jumps out of the stat sheet that makes Suter look like a stud. Perhaps he is a poor mans Lidstrom and not a Paul Martin. When I think of defensive stalwarts I prefer to see a player that either takes the body more or blocks more shots. I did think he was the best player for team USA in the olympics a few years ago but I haven't seen that level of play since.

So you just argued against yourself. You say he was the best player on Team USA because you watched those games. You admitted that you don't watch Preds games, and his strength is defense, so no wonder you haven't seen that level of play since.

#83 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,164 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:55 AM

January 26, 2012 10:55 AM
Chicago guy writes a story about how the Blackhawks should trade for Thomas: http://chicago.cbslo...s-net-problems/

1:08 PM - 26 Jan 12
Guy tweets his story to Dupont: https://twitter.com/...597693938597888

1:18 PM - 26 Jan 12
Dupont responds saying, "Maybe a unique UVM swap involving Stalberg?": https://twitter.com/...600402892750848

January 29, 2012
Dupont in his HOCKEY SUNDAY NOTES, "Hottest rumor around the All-Star break ......... Another one had the Bruins dishing Tim Thomas to Chicago. Perhaps that could be the University of Vermont special, with the Bruins sending their ex-Catamount to the Hawks for former Catamount Viktor Stalberg." http://articles.bost...ic-gold-medal/5

Edited by SoxScout, 30 January 2012 - 06:55 AM.

#84 PedroSpecialK

• 17,086 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:33 AM

HHoF member. We should see if he'd get an account here.

That the Chicago guy writes Fluto called Thomas a "loaner" makes me giggle.

Edited by PedroSpecialK, 30 January 2012 - 07:54 AM.

#85 smastroyin

• simpering whimperer

• 17,199 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:54 AM

Trade your starting goalie for a forward that might improve your third line. Jesus hes a fucktwit

#86 Curtis_Lesspanic

• 512 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:28 AM

If you have a good chance to extend the guy you get then absolutely.

The way I see it is that this team has shown that with their current team they are capable of being the best team in hockey. What does additional top tier talent give them? Obviously a better chance of playing at that level, but how much? I mean, as I said in the other thread, I get the Corvo hate but even playing poorly the team's fortunes have not rested on him, he is not much different now than he was in November/December, just the rest of the team is playing at a lower level so it becomes more apparent.

What it comes down to for me is that the team is built really well to win right now, but also has a pretty long window which a guy like Hamilton can step into. I would rather be the Red Wings than the Ducks (I know, no shit). That said, I also realize that when we are talking about Suter we are talking about a guy that most here would be happy to give a 7 year deal to and not really bat an eyelash.

I also agree on Parise. I wonder what the Devils would be looking for. He strikes me as nearly a guaranteed rental so his price probably wouldn't be as high, but who knows.

My reasoning for pushing for guys like Weber/Suter/Parise if they are availible is pretty simple. The prices are already inflated at the deadline. You might as well spend a bit more and get premium talent.

Look Chara is going to be 35 by the end of the year and I would rather have a talent like Suter or Weber come in and transition into the anchor on the blueline than wait for Hamilton to be ready. We already know that Suter, if pressed can play 25-30 minutes a night and be strong in his own end. I'll take that on my team now in exchange for the chance that Hamilton becomes the next Rob Blake down the road.

Don't get me wrong. I don't want to give up on Hamilton if the Bruins don't have to. But to get a guy like Suter/Weber/Parise you might have to. (Your probably right, not so much for Parise)

#87 PedroSpecialK

• 17,086 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:25 AM

Jacobs has no issues with Thomas

“Tim is a great hockey player. He’s done his job very well for us and I’m totally behind him as a great hockey player,” said Jacobs. “I don’t necessarily agree with his political view, but that isn’t what he does for me. I’ve got to say this: while I don’t agree with it he certinly has the right to express himself as every American does. He does a good job.”

The NHL’s Chairman of the Board of Governors was further asked if Thomas’ absence cast any sort of pall over a day celebrating the collective team accomplishment, and unflinchingly rejected that notion as well.

“You guys [in the media] say things to me that I don’t like. But I definitely believe you have the right to say them,” said Jacobs. “I fight for that and I fight for his right to do what he wants to do. He expressed it. That’s all. It’s over unless you guys [in the media] want to perpetuate it.”

Smokescreen. Stalberg will be here by the end of the week, book it.

More from LeBrun

Via email from Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli re: Thomas trade rumors: "Not trading him. I have not talked to anyone and I don't plan to."

Edited by PedroSpecialK, 30 January 2012 - 12:50 PM.

#88 FL4WL3SS

• Mrs. Dennis Wideman

• 6,403 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 01:15 PM

Has there really never been any kind of precedent for a UFA agreeing to extend with a team he is traded to, before the deal is done? Like some have said, if we had reason to believe he would stay, I'd absolutely deal Dougie for Suter.

FLAW, you are truly the master of starting an argument in the most condescending way, following it with a little trolling, and finishing with an "I didn't even do anything" remark. I applaud you.

Do I do this? I don't think I do this.

I didn't even do this in this thread.

#89 PedroSpecialK

• 17,086 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 01:37 PM

I love you but you do do it.

Doodoo.

#90 Blacken

• Paddy Tanniger the Caddy Manager

• 8,686 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 01:45 PM

Albeit to deserving targets.

#91 Riles335

• Defiantly Definite

• 506 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:00 PM

Tim Gleason has all but come off the trading block. He has just resigned with Carolina for four years at 16 million dollars.

Gleason was a guy I liked but not at 4 million dollars a pop. overpay by Carolina if you ask me.

#92 Riles335

• Defiantly Definite

• 506 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:02 AM

Another name to keep in mind would be Brenden Morrow. Dallas is in fact possibly looking to move him with a 4.1 million dollar cap hit until next year.

With Horton and his injury worrisome, I think it would be in the best interest to get a guy who could play either on the top line or the third line. Morrow fits that mold. It should be in the Bruins best interest to plan ahead without Horton. Even though I think he will be back, you can't simply tell with concussions. They can strike at any moment.

Thinking ahead I wonder how he would fit in with Lucic as they posses a similar game, Morrow a bit less physical and a bit more skilled but both very similar, but Morrow, Krejci, Lucic would bring ruckus to opposing defenses. Maybe a guy like Whitney or Ruutu would fit better for the first or third line but bringing in a guy like Morrow would be a pretty strong move.

Thoughts?

Edited by Riles335, 31 January 2012 - 10:02 AM.

#93 cshea

• SoSH Member

• 9,858 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:43 PM

As much as I love Brendan Morrow, I don't think the B's should have much interest. If he's on the trade block, he'll be way too expensive, and he'd be a bit redundant. They don't really need forwards, and already have 2 bottom 6 guys (Peverley and Pouliot) that can step into a top 6 spot and produce if needed. If they're in the market for a depth forward, it'd be a bottom 6 grinder type, IMO. A guy I would actually like to see here, but it will never happen, is Travis Moen. They should be looking at those types of players up front.

On D, I think they just need to grab a 5/6 guy and be done with it. A Kampfer upgrade, basically. Scott Hannan comes to mind. $1 mil, UFA at the end of the year. They could then essentially rotate Corvo, McQuaid and Hannan in and out of the lineup.

#94 Riles335

• Defiantly Definite

• 506 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:32 PM

As much as I love Brendan Morrow, I don't think the B's should have much interest. If he's on the trade block, he'll be way too expensive, and he'd be a bit redundant. They don't really need forwards, and already have 2 bottom 6 guys (Peverley and Pouliot) that can step into a top 6 spot and produce if needed. If they're in the market for a depth forward, it'd be a bottom 6 grinder type, IMO. A guy I would actually like to see here, but it will never happen, is Travis Moen. They should be looking at those types of players up front.

On D, I think they just need to grab a 5/6 guy and be done with it. A Kampfer upgrade, basically. Scott Hannan comes to mind. $1 mil, UFA at the end of the year. They could then essentially rotate Corvo, McQuaid and Hannan in and out of the lineup.

If Horton is forced to miss time you are okay with Peverely or Pouilot moving up to the number 1 line? I would be okay with Peverely but that would make the third line very, very thin offensively. Peverely is what makes that third line go. If he goes to a different line, that line becomes below average at best. Kelly has dropped significantly offensively since his hot start to the season and Pouilot hasn't really shown an ability to be consistent.

This team in my eyes is still filled with third line/bottom 6 players. What would Travis Moen bring to an offense? Nothing really in my opinion. A guy like Caron would be a much better fit to an offense in case of injury but can you really trust someone like Caron? That is where you really see the need for a player like Morrow or Whitney. A player that could fill in for top line minutes and fit in quiet comfortably with Kelly/Pouilot and would make that line somewhat offensively dangerous.

#95 cshea

• SoSH Member

• 9,858 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:57 AM

If Horton is forced to miss time you are okay with Peverely or Pouilot moving up to the number 1 line? I would be okay with Peverely but that would make the third line very, very thin offensively. Peverely is what makes that third line go. If he goes to a different line, that line becomes below average at best. Kelly has dropped significantly offensively since his hot start to the season and Pouilot hasn't really shown an ability to be consistent.

This team in my eyes is still filled with third line/bottom 6 players. What would Travis Moen bring to an offense? Nothing really in my opinion. A guy like Caron would be a much better fit to an offense in case of injury but can you really trust someone like Caron? That is where you really see the need for a player like Morrow or Whitney. A player that could fill in for top line minutes and fit in quiet comfortably with Kelly/Pouilot and would make that line somewhat offensively dangerous.

They played the final 5 games of the finals last year with Peverley on the first line. If Horton is out again, I'm fine with that. Peverley has also out produced Horton so far, and has played in fewer games. I don't think there is much of a dip offensively in this scenario. Yeah, the 3rd line loses some scoring pop, but the team is deep and leads the league in scoring, so some regression on the 3rd line won't kill them. They played last night without Horton. The weak link up front? Hamill. That's the spot that needs to be upgraded, not finding top 6 forwards.

I mean, I'd love to see Morrow or Ruutu here, but they're the prizes of the deadline, so their price tags aren't going to be cheap. I don't think paying a premium for one of those guys is a good use of their assets. I threw out Moen's name, and another one would be Gaustad. Those guys would be much cheaper to acquire. They're upgrades to Hamill/Caron, and could fit on the 3rd line if we have to bump Peverley up to cover injuries. They won the Cup last year with essentially the same roster. They don't need to swing for the fences at the deadline.

#96 yeahlunchbox

• 164 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:06 PM

One thing to keep in mind is the reason why Peverley has played fewer games is because he's nursing an injury and the team has stated he's going to have to manage it the rest of the season. If Horton is out for a while and Peverley makes the injury worse playing more minutes that could be one pretty vicious domino effect. Then you'd be looking at Pouliot on the first line with something like Kelly/Hamill/Caron as your third line.

#97 erfus

• 1,592 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:20 PM

They played last night without Horton. The weak link up front? Hamill. That's the spot that needs to be upgraded, not finding top 6 forwards.

I agree with that, Hamill turned back into a pumpkin his past several appearances. Peverley actually fits well into the Krejci line, he gives them a burst of speed that compliments Krejci's creativity and Lucic's brute force approach. Pouliot has developed into a perfectly adequate 3rd liner but neither Hamill or Caron seem to be ideal for top 9 minutes at this point. I think complimentary forwards will be abundantly available from the clear sellers like Columbus, NYI, and Anaheim. Guys like Jason Blake, PA Parenteau, Vaclav Prospal, Sami Pahlsson, etc. More desperate teams will lineup for Morrow if he's on the block, Whitney, Ruuttu, Jeff Carter, etc. but the Bs don't need to make that kind of splash.

I would still like to see more than just a depth add on defense, but the supply appears to be smaller and you know Philly is going to do something big / stupid to fill the Pronger void which will upset the selling team's desired market value for whoever's leftover.

#98 Riles335

• Defiantly Definite

• 506 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:59 PM

They played the final 5 games of the finals last year with Peverley on the first line. If Horton is out again, I'm fine with that. Peverley has also out produced Horton so far, and has played in fewer games. I don't think there is much of a dip offensively in this scenario. Yeah, the 3rd line loses some scoring pop, but the team is deep and leads the league in scoring, so some regression on the 3rd line won't kill them. They played last night without Horton. The weak link up front? Hamill. That's the spot that needs to be upgraded, not finding top 6 forwards.

I mean, I'd love to see Morrow or Ruutu here, but they're the prizes of the deadline, so their price tags aren't going to be cheap. I don't think paying a premium for one of those guys is a good use of their assets. I threw out Moen's name, and another one would be Gaustad. Those guys would be much cheaper to acquire. They're upgrades to Hamill/Caron, and could fit on the 3rd line if we have to bump Peverley up to cover injuries. They won the Cup last year with essentially the same roster. They don't need to swing for the fences at the deadline.

I think a big loss that many of us are forgetting about when it comes to this teams scoring is Michael Ryder. I think Peverley fills in great on the first line and I agree with many of your points about a Lucic, Krejci, and Peverley doing some dangerous things but if that is your first line and your third line is Pouilot, Kelley, and Moen/Gustad/Caron etc, then I see the Bruins in some trouble. Last year they had Ryder to play on that third line and provide a legit scoring threat. They were able to cope with the loss of Peverley to the first line because they had Ryder but they no longer have a scoring threat left on that third line. This year, Pouilot is your Michael Ryder and that isn't a great thing. Just because they won the Stanely Cup last year with the same exact roster doesn't mean that other teams aren't better this year. There are some very dangerous teams in the East this year. Last year, the East wasn't so great especially when the Penguins lost Crosby and Malkin. Now this year the Bruins are going to have to go through the Rangers, Flyers, and Penguins most likely. While I still like the Bruins to do well, they need to upgrade that wing position because there are a lot of if's and question marks that surround that position.

#99 j44thor

• 4,288 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:02 PM

I think a nice target on D would be Visnovsky. He is signed through next season at 5.1 per and would be the ideal #3 D/ PP QB. He is up there in age so I can't imagine ANH sees him as part of the future. That said he is obviously valuable so he won't come cheap. A package built around a #1, Caron and Spooner would be a good starting point.

#100 Riles335

• Defiantly Definite

• 506 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:11 PM

I think a nice target on D would be Visnovsky. He is signed through next season at 5.1 per and would be the ideal #3 D/ PP QB. He is up there in age so I can't imagine ANH sees him as part of the future. That said he is obviously valuable so he won't come cheap. A package built around a #1, Caron and Spooner would be a good starting point.

Your willing to part with a #1, Caron, and Sponer as a starting point for a soon to be 36 year old defenseman signed through next year at 5.1 million dollars and you aren't sold on the Bruins going after Suter? Your crazy.

If you are willing to start with that package for Visnovsky at 35 years old, then Suter should be a no brainer. Suter is 26, would command probably that same 5 million dollar per year contract but is a much greater overall player.Visnovsky already has seemed to dip production wise and for 5.1 million dollars next year for a 36 year old declining defenseman would be crazy. Your also heading into a free agency with some contracts that need some serious attention...Rask, Boychuk, Kelley. Spending 5 million dollars per year plus that type of package would only be worth spending on Suter, not Visnovsky.