Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Tablets: Like/Hate Relationship

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
56 replies to this topic

#1 Marbleheader

• SoSH Member

• 7,133 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:07 PM

After 3 months as a tablet owner, I've found it to be far less useful than I had hoped. Once the novelty wore off, I pretty much either use the laptop or smartphone. The tablet has become a distant 3rd. It's hard to get much done on the tablet, even just being on here. I'm not sure where it fits. I'm curious what other tablet owners experiences have been. I'm not quite ready to ditch it, but it's been a disappointing purchase overall.

#2 PBDWake

• 2,846 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:25 PM

The tablet is my "local travel" option. Light, portable, free from the need for accessories. If my business takes me into one of our Boston locations, I can use it to pass the time waiting for, and on, the commuter rail and subway, and surf the internet between appointments or while I'm at lunch more conveniently than on my phone. It fits pretty effortlessly into the compartment in my portfolio, as well, so there's no need to lug anything extra around.

That being said, I thought I'd use it a lot more at home than it turned out I do. I'm usually on my laptop at home, even though it's clunkier and considerably heavier, because on the basis of ease of tab browsing alone it blows the tablet out of the water, let alone everything else. I don't really regret getting my iPad. I get a decent amount of sporadic use out of it, but I went into it thinking it'd change how I handled web and email, but instead it's settled into a niche of making me slightly more productive during downtime, and relieving a lot of boredom in public places.

#3 saintnick912

• GINO!

• 3,599 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:06 PM

I picked up one of the cheapo Touchpads figuring I'd put Android on it and have a "little of this little of that" type machine. I've mostly used it as a clock in my TV room, since it has that mode where it shows the time when you put it on the dock.

It's not bad for quickie web stuff when I'm watching TV or friends are over, but otherwise I go with the laptop. I'm just too fast on a physical keyboard for it to be remotely practical on any sort of touch device. But for $150 plus case and dock (putting it just over $200) can't go wrong really even with limited use.

Been meaning to mess with video apps (netflix/hulu+/hbogo) on the Android side but sort of waiting for CM9 now since CM7/Gingerbread is kind of funky in a tablet form factor.

#4 sox311

• 1,085 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:11 PM

Same here. If I used it for work presentations I would see a lot of value in it, but I don't. Get a keyboard and I think it is much more user friendly.

I use it to control other things in my house, DirecTV remote, DVD player, Apple TV, playing YouTube to the big screen, that type of stuff.

It is a good supplemental toy, but very pricy for just that.

I had my iPad before I made the switch to Apple and bought my Mac Book Pro. I used to use the iPad to surf the web more, but now I mostly use the MBP for it.

#5 Three10toLeft

• 883 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:53 PM

I bought an iPad the same day I purchased my iMac, I was having a hard time deciding between a macbook and a standard desktop, so I figured I'd get the bost of both worlds.

I can't say I regret purchasing the iPad one bit, I purchased a Logitech bluetooth keyboard to use when I need to bang out some emails or blog entries, but aside from text input in long form, I can't think of a single complaint. I load movies on it, take it from room to room, it's ultraportable, especially since the keyboard doubles as a case, and just plain works. I'm truly in love.

The only thing I'd like to see improved upon is the size of the bezel, but I understand that it's probably not gonna slim down much considering the differentiating size of hands...

#6 NortheasternPJ

• SoSH Member

• 6,123 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:40 AM

My MacBook pro has been collecting dust for the last 10 months. My work laptop (when I'm not doing heavy tech work) isn't coming with me half the time anymore. I use my iPad for nearly everything at this point. I'm going to get a blue tooth case that has a keyboard soon as well.

#7 epraz

• SoSH Member

• 5,413 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:10 AM

This is a pretty cool keyboard/case.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by epraz, 25 January 2012 - 08:11 AM.

#8 smastroyin

• simpering whimperer

• 17,199 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:20 AM

I had been toying around with getting one and ended up buying one off a friend after he got an iPad2. Mine is an Acer Android one.

He lent it to me first, I ended up deciding to buy it for:
- Travel. I don't travel extensively but I do so enough that it's nice to have for the plane. It would be nicer if the FAA would stop the silliness about electronic equipment. The big negative is that for instance when I was flying out of Logan last week, the plane needed de-icing, and we sat around in queue for that and taxxing for about an hour and a half, all of which was with no electronic devices. What the fuck. That's a different rant of course.
- Kindle. I love reading on the tablet and while I like e-ink a little better I don't like it enough better to limit my other capabilities.
- Cooking. There are a few things in particular. The tablet is a game changer for recipes. I can move it around the kitchen easily, it is not as susceptible as a laptop to random spills, and the screen is large. I tried for a while using the phone but it was just too small to read and the constant zooming in and out and panning was annoying.
- And generally being a new toy.
- Netflix. Obviously when traveling but also for lying in bed, the 10" screen is a lot nicer than the phone.

some things that actually got me excited from CES.
- The TransformerPrime is getting some upgrades this quarter because of some release issue. At CES Nvidia had Skyrim running on one. If I could play PC games on the tablet with some regularity (even if it required rooting-type intervention on my part), that would be spectacular. Even running a lower grade version of, say, Diablo3, would be great on something portable. Obviously, integrating touch controls may be a problem, etc., so this may still be a bit pie in the sky.
(just to update this, because i'm not clear, the tablet isn't doing the rendering, it is running SplashTop which is like slingbox or something: http://www.slashgear...shtop-10207952/

- For travel, I am actually thinking about a 7" tablet. I guess I didn't need to wait for CES for this, since the Galaxy Tab 7.7 is already pretty impressive for the price, but Asus showed off a 7" tablet with a Tegra 3 chip and a nice looking camera. Part of me thinks that 7" is more likely to be a carry everywhere type device. Here it is: http://www.techradar...-review-1054046

#9 smastroyin

• simpering whimperer

• 17,199 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:05 AM

Just for the record, PBDWake, there are aftermarket browser apps for the iPad that allow tabbed browsing. Also it should be with iOS5.

#10 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 8,480 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:29 AM

I guess it depends what you use it for. My girlfriends tablet is priceless to her because she works at a slow hospital and a medical clinic, so during downtime she has something at her disposal that she can read with, surf the web or play games.

They are great for travel, lightweight and her Kindle Fire easily fits into a purse so she can take it anywhere.

#11 graffam198

• pink hat

• 826 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:39 AM

I have that logitec case above and I love it. The keys are space far enough apart that you don't feel cramped while typing on it, the short cut buttons are really great, and it saves a ton of time typing things out. I got an ipad about 2 months ago and I don't know the last time I used my laptop at home. There is a ton of software/apps out there that allow you to use excel/word/ppt, etc. Additionally, I love the ipad as an e-reader. Although it doesn't have the e-ink, being backlit is a huge plus.

#12 Three10toLeft

• 883 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 04:33 PM

This is a pretty cool keyboard/case.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ha... That's actually the Logitech keyboard/case I was talking about. Very nice.

#13 SumnerH

• Malt Liquor Picker

• 16,231 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 04:58 PM

After 3 months as a tablet owner, I've found it to be far less useful than I had hoped. Once the novelty wore off, I pretty much either use the laptop or smartphone. The tablet has become a distant 3rd. It's hard to get much done on the tablet, even just being on here. I'm not sure where it fits. I'm curious what other tablet owners experiences have been. I'm not quite ready to ditch it, but it's been a disappointing purchase overall.

I agree completely. My tablet mostly sits and collects dust, though it sees occasional use for Angry Birds and the like. The tablet form factor is just too in between--the smart phone is in my pocket at all times and the laptop is a ton nicer to use for serious work.

#14 jayhoz

• browndog's marshmallow bitch

• 12,374 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:04 PM

Tablets are consumption devices. If your intent is to surf, play games, watch movies, read books, etc then purchase a tablet. They are awesome at that stuff. If you need to create things like long winded emails, spreadsheets, presentations, etc then buy a laptop. Tablets suck at such things.

I love my tablet for what it is. An always on family room device that lets me read the news, surf SoSH, check the weather, listen to spotify, read books with my kid, skype with my parents, etc.

Edited by jayhoz, 25 January 2012 - 05:46 PM.

#15 PBDWake

• 2,846 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:42 PM

Just for the record, PBDWake, there are aftermarket browser apps for the iPad that allow tabbed browsing. Also it should be with iOS5.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. My tablet CAN support tabbed browsing, but my laptop does it with miles more convenience. Load times are incomparable, they switch between tabs easier, and frequently, my tabs need to reload when I swap into them. Usually when I come to a site like SoSH, I scroll down the page and click open tabs for all the forums, and subsequently, threads, I read, and closeout tabs as I go. It's much more convenient to do so on a laptop. Which, admittedly, I knew would be going in, but I underestimated how much I'd miss that ease of use.

#16 Wills Eeks

• internets quarterback style

• 3,408 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:06 PM

That keyboard is $30 cheaper at Amazon FYI.

#17 Nick Kaufman

• protector of human kind from spoilers

• 8,459 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:42 AM

After I bought my iphone, my touchpad just sits collecting dust. I still think it's a better browsing experience than the phone, although I was surprised by the appeal of the phone's ereader app.

I guess the ideal tablet for me would be 4x3, between 8-10'', but most significantly less than 500 grams or whatever weight gives me flexibility to hold it any way I want to for long periods of time. That's one major impediment IMO for the time being. The other is the lack of a keyboard, but then we re looking at a convertible form factor and that would trully be the deathknell of laptops.

#18 DukeSox

• Rick Derris

• 8,664 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 02:59 AM

When should one expect the iPad 3 to come out?

#19 NortheasternPJ

• SoSH Member

• 6,123 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:38 AM

iPad 3 should be out in late Feb or early March if rumors and past history are correct

#20 epraz

• SoSH Member

• 5,413 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:33 AM

I guess the ideal tablet for me would be 4x3, between 8-10'', but most significantly less than 500 grams or whatever weight gives me flexibility to hold it any way I want to for long periods of time. \

Isn't that the Kinde Fire?

#21 behindthepen

• SoSH Member

• 5,953 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:33 AM

almost definitely not February, and there's a chance it doesn't hit the market until April.

Not sure if it will have a new processor, or just a better screen.

#22 kneemoe

• 1,920 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:20 AM

Or the Nook Tablet, which has far better specs.
Edit2:(d'oh - it's 4:3 )
Edit: and now that the bootloader's been cracked with a little work you can run whatever on it...

Edited by kneemoe, 26 January 2012 - 01:56 PM.

#23 Nick Kaufman

• 8,459 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:02 PM

Kindle fire is 16x9 or 16x10.

#24 NortheasternPJ

• SoSH Member

• 6,123 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:05 PM

Isn't the Kindle fire 7" and widescreen, not 8-10" and 4:3?

#25 Papelbon's Poutine

• SoSH Member

• 6,366 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:54 PM

almost definitely not February, and there's a chance it doesn't hit the market until April.

Not sure if it will have a new processor, or just a better screen.

Actually, latest rumors right now point to a Feb. 24th release as a tribute to Jobs (that's his birthday). Failing that early March, as almost every rumor points to a Q1 release. Production has started in Asia, reportedly, and the secondary market for accessories have begun production suggesting that specs are floating around.

Improvements (obviously all speculated) are a quad-A6 processor, Retina Display (so twice the resolution of iPad2), Siri, 4G LTE capabilities, and better cameras front and back. There seems to be a lack of consensus on whether or not a new iOs will piggy back in.

Consensus seems to be that the loss of market share to the Fire, Nook and other tablets in the $200-$300 price range will spur Apple to release a little earlier than expected and they will drop the iPad2 down into this price range to recoup that market share.

In short, if you're in the tablet market, at any price point, hold off a little longer...shit's about to get interesting.

Edited by Papelbon's Poutine, 26 January 2012 - 12:55 PM.

#26 jayhoz

• 12,374 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:45 PM

Actually, latest rumors right now point to a Feb. 24th release as a tribute to Jobs (that's his birthday). Failing that early March, as almost every rumor points to a Q1 release. Production has started in Asia, reportedly, and the secondary market for accessories have begun production suggesting that specs are floating around.

Improvements (obviously all speculated) are a quad-A6 processor, Retina Display (so twice the resolution of iPad2), Siri, 4G LTE capabilities, and better cameras front and back. There seems to be a lack of consensus on whether or not a new iOs will piggy back in.

Consensus seems to be that the loss of market share to the Fire, Nook and other tablets in the $200-$300 price range will spur Apple to release a little earlier than expected and they will drop the iPad2 down into this price range to recoup that market share.

In short, if you're in the tablet market, at any price point, hold off a little longer...shit's about to get interesting.

That sounds more like a laundry list of wants than likely upgrades. Apple would really be breaking from tradition to bring all those things to market at the same time. Not to mention the fact that the processor, display, and 4G radio would each take a chunk out of the battery life. Battery life hasn't been something they have been willing to give on in the past.

Also, everything I've read has said that the Kindle Fire and its ilk have resulted in incremental tablet sales and not pulled customers away from the iPad.

I realize that Apple is a master of the supply chain and has massive economies of scale advantages over the likes of Amazon, but if the 7" Kindle Fire sells for a loss at $199 there is little chance that a 10" iPad 2 can come close to that price point and still be profitible.

Edited by jayhoz, 26 January 2012 - 05:21 PM.

#27 Papelbon's Poutine

• SoSH Member

• 6,366 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 02:39 PM

That sounds more like a laundry list of wants than likely upgrades. Apple would really be breaking from tradition to bring all those things to market at the same time. Not to mention the fact that the processor, display, and 4G radio would each take a chunk out of the battery life. Battery life hasn't been something they have been willing to give on in the past.

Granted, again, this is all speculation by tech geeks, but the iPad 3 is supposed to be slightly thicker, accommodating a larger battery to handle the display and quad processor. The 4G I think is the newest rumor based off of a new contract between Apple and Qualcomm and could very likely be baseless. I haven't dug into that far because I would only have interest in a WiFi model anyway. Siri I think is just assumed. And historically each new iteration of their devices has involved some improvement on the camera.

Again, it's all rumors tied off of supply chains and manufacturing partners, but I've been following most of the sites like 9to5mac since mid November and all seem to pretty much agree on the display and quad processor. Your comment on the battery is accurate but apparently being addressed.

Also, everything I've read has said that the Kindle Fire and its ilk have resulting in incremental tablet sales and not pulled customers away from the iPad.

Link - Apple lost over 10% of their market share in Q4, mostly due to the Fire.

I realize that Apple is a master of the supply chain and has massive economies of scale advantages over the likes of Amazon, but if the 7" Kindle Fire sells for a loss at $199 there is little chance that a 10" iPad 2 can come close to that prices point and still be profitible.

Most I have read has speculated that they might not drop all the way down to $199 but rather to $299 to entice people to drop the extra $100 for a far better product. I don't know enough to speculate on the profitability of it all, but I've seen suggestions they could exhaust supplies and then roll that price point over into kind of a 2.5 version to curtail production expenses, i.e. a "base 3" model without all the bells and whistles.

Given their history with announcement and release, we could know in a couple weeks if the Feb. 24th date is legit - they usually announce/unveil on a Tues or Wed and then release a week and a half later on a Fri or Sat which would put them right around Valentine's Day for an announcement if they are going with Jobs' birthday.

#28 jayhoz

• 12,374 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 03:28 PM

Link - Apple lost over 10% of their market share in Q4, mostly due to the Fire.

A loss in market share doesn't necessary mean their competitors took a chunk of business away from them. The tablet pie grew at a huge rate. If that growth was from customers coming to the table that would never have purchased an iPad2 then Apple's "tablet" market share could drop, but their sales forecasts could be dead on. That brings up another point. Should the Kindle Fire be in the "tablet" bucket. Based on it's capabilities it absolutely should be, but from the studies that I have read on how people use it, it is much more of an ereader than a tablet.

From a completely unbiased source :blink:

Following Apple’s first-quarter earnings report, which was the most profitable quarter ever reported by a technology company, CEO Tim Cook stated on the company’s earnings call that the Kindle Fire had no impact on iPad sales whatsoever. Cook said that he looked very carefully at Apple’s iPad numbers and he is convinced that Amazon’s tablet didn’t affect iPad sales. Apple’s chief executive noted that he even scrutinized the company’s iPad numbers in the U.S. each week following the Kindle Fire’s launch and saw nothing.

#29 mt8thsw9th

• anti-SoSHal

• 14,226 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 03:46 PM

For the most part, I'd imagine those who bought Kindle Fires over iPad are those who wouldn't ever consider paying $500+ for a tablet in the first place. My girlfriend got one to just surf around on the internet when she's bored at work, and to read a book occasionally. More often than not when she's at my house she's using my iPad instead since she can Skype with her family.

Instead of lugging my computer to school to make presentations, I generally put together the basics of presentations in Powerpoint (or OpenOffice) and email them to myself, then polish them up in Keynote, and display via the VGA connector. I can't imagine the Fire being able to do this type of thing. The Fire is really only competing against the e-ink readers, and the Nook Color (as jayhoz notes); the iPad's competitors are the likes of the higher end models by ASUS, Samsung, and Motorola. All the Kindle Fire did, in my opinion, is dilute the market share numbers, and I agree that the Fire belongs in a tablet subcategory.

#30 judes63

• 30 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 05:34 PM

For the most part, I'd imagine those who bought Kindle Fires over iPad are those who wouldn't ever consider paying $500+ for a tablet in the first place.

I'm seriously considering getting a Kindle Fire, but I was never going to be an IPad customer (and I've heard the same from others thinking about buying a Kindle Fire). Even though it would be useful for my job, I couldn't see myself using it enough outside of work to justify the price. If anything, the Kindle would take the place of the IPod Touch I'd been planning on upgrading to before I'd heard about the Fire's capabilities.

#31 Papelbon's Poutine

• SoSH Member

• 6,366 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:56 AM

Exactly my points. You would never consider dropping $500 plus, but it were only $50-100 more above and beyond the Fire price, for the iPad, wouldn't that be awful tempting?

#32 judes63

• 30 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 06:24 PM

Totally tempting - if the IPad was $299 (or less), I could probably find some way to talk myself into getting one.

#33 mt8thsw9th

• anti-SoSHal

• 14,226 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 06:58 PM

Totally tempting - if the IPad was $299 (or less), I could probably find some way to talk myself into getting one.

If the iPad 2 cost $299 it would be a pile of shit and you'd be better off going after a Kindle Fire. Apple takes a lot off the top, but there's a lot of R&D that goes into the iPad (or Generic Android high-end tablet), and according to Digitimes the components alone in an iPad 2 cost $300+ (source: http://www.digitimes...10314PR200.html). You get what you pay for, more or less. I can see down the road Apple possibly releasing a lower priced, lower end iPad (around that $300 figure) to rival the $200 Kindle Fire, but I don't think there's any urgency, as the Fire isn't really an iPad competitor, it's just bringing people into the tablet world.

As these people find more and more uses for tablets, they will question whether a low-end tablet like the Fire offers them enough; will those consumers be more likely to consider paying more for an iPad? They'd be more inclined than they are today. When looking at the diffusion of innovation, the Kindle Fire types (i.e., those who are only buying a tablet because "the price is right") tend to be closer to the later majority/laggards on the diffusion S curve. They're obviously not going to find the same level of utility the early adopters will, hence the aversion to paying $500+.

#34 lzthomas

• 7 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:37 AM

Ironically, the cheap (kinda) alternative I'm using, instead of Kindle Fire, is my son's Nintendo 3ds. I'm using it to surf when I don't want to lug the laptop around the house.

Edited by lzthomas, 29 January 2012 - 08:37 AM.

#35 johnmd20

• voice of soccer

• 17,351 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:38 AM

Ironically, the cheap (kinda) alternative I'm using, instead of Kindle Fire, is my son's Nintendo 3ds. I'm using it to surf when I don't want to lug the laptop around the house.

The 3DS is pretty cool, especially for kids, but that screen is pretty small for web surfing compared to the fire. I'm surprised you would use that over the Fire. Or do you not have the Fire? That is a bit unclear from your post.

#36 OttoC

• SoSH Member

• 7,388 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:47 AM

As these people find more and more uses for tablets, they will question whether a low-end tablet like the Fire offers them enough; will those consumers be more likely to consider paying more for an iPad? They'd be more inclined than they are today. When looking at the diffusion of innovation, the Kindle Fire types (i.e., those who are only buying a tablet because "the price is right") tend to be closer to the later majority/laggards on the diffusion S curve. They're obviously not going to find the same level of utility the early adopters will, hence the aversion to paying $500+.

I think it may also depend on why you want a tablet. I travel with a camera and lenses (not something that you'd want to put in checked baggage) and in the early days of digital cameras I took along a laptop so I could download photos from my compact flash card (in those days CF cards were expensive and quite limited in capacity). The pain in toting a camera and laptop on flights was exponentially increased after 9/11 but the price of CF cards had dropped enough so I could afford to carry several with me and I stopped carrying the laptop. Eventually, I got an iPod Touch that not only offered me a way of showing photos and connecting to wi-fi but also fit in my pocket. I did buy a tablet this past Cyber Monday because I got a very good price and it offers more than the iTouch, both in what it can do (MS Office files, USB/SD cards, HDMI out, Bluetooth). It also has an (approx.) 8.5" by 5.25" screen instead of the 3" by 2" screen. However, it won't fit in my pocket, but I got it for half what I would have had to pay for an iPad. The money I saved can be used for other things (of course, if I didn't buy it, I would have even more money to spend on things).

#37 lzthomas

• 7 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:34 AM

The 3DS is pretty cool, especially for kids, but that screen is pretty small for web surfing compared to the fire. I'm surprised you would use that over the Fire. Or do you not have the Fire? That is a bit unclear from your post.

Sorry, no I don't have the Fire. Thought about it, decided the cheaper alternative would be to borrow the lad's 3ds. Surfing isn't that bad on the screen, for me. I try not to go to websites that are too busy, graphics wise, with it.
Plan on getting another laptop in the spring.

#38 zenter

• slumdog idol

• 4,886 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:38 PM

Interesting question. When I first got the Nook Color and rooted it, it became a go-to device for a lot of things, mostly around the house - sort of the coffee table device when a laptop is unnecessary. My usage started to wane until Netflix finally became available on Android, and the NC got new life breathed into it. I got a firesale TouchPad, and feel supremely limited by the app selection, to the point that I really don't use it very much. Until a semi-stable (at least beta) version of CyanogenMod is available for it, it's a once-a-week device.

An unexpected factor limiting my use of the two tablets is charging solutions - the NC has a semi-proprietary microUSB which means I have to go and find that particular cable to charge it. The Touchpad uses a high-voltage microUSB charger/plug, forcing me to use those as opposed to the dozen other microUSB cables/plugs I have, and nagging me whenever I plug into a computer rather than an outlet. Not major, but when traveling, I like to use an iGo, and these both demand more cables and plugs.

#39 jayhoz

• 12,374 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 01:14 PM

Interesting question. When I first got the Nook Color and rooted it, it became a go-to device for a lot of things, mostly around the house - sort of the coffee table device when a laptop is unnecessary. My usage started to wane until Netflix finally became available on Android, and the NC got new life breathed into it. I got a firesale TouchPad, and feel supremely limited by the app selection, to the point that I really don't use it very much. Until a semi-stable (at least beta) version of CyanogenMod is available for it, it's a once-a-week device.

An unexpected factor limiting my use of the two tablets is charging solutions - the NC has a semi-proprietary microUSB which means I have to go and find that particular cable to charge it. The Touchpad uses a high-voltage microUSB charger/plug, forcing me to use those as opposed to the dozen other microUSB cables/plugs I have, and nagging me whenever I plug into a computer rather than an outlet. Not major, but when traveling, I like to use an iGo, and these both demand more cables and plugs.

Two things.

1) CM7 has been super stable on the HP touchpad. There are occassional wifi annoyances and Skype doesn't work, but other than that it has been awesome.
2) Most tablet chargers are rated at 5V 2A. Smartphone chargers are 5V 1A. Using the smartphone charger on the tablet will take ~2x as long. Using the tablet charger on the smartphone will not do any damage. The phone will draw at the max rate of 5V 1A. My suggestion is to ditch the 1 amp chargers and use the 2 amp one exclusively.

P.S. B&N deserves a big FU for using what looks like a micro-USB tip, but making it proprietary.

Edited by jayhoz, 30 January 2012 - 01:15 PM.

#40 zenter

• slumdog idol

• 4,886 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:59 PM

Two things.

1) CM7 has been super stable on the HP touchpad. There are occassional wifi annoyances and Skype doesn't work, but other than that it has been awesome.

I understand that video is not hardware-accelerated yet. I know this would be a big thing for me, given my interest in Netflix and MLB.TV. Is this understanding wrong?

Also, I've had issues with wifi connectivity on stock, since the TP has documented issues with like 2 routers and I own one of them. I'd be wary of multiplying that issue with CM. Also also, I'm thinking I might want to wait for ICS. Is that not a smart move?

2) Most tablet chargers are rated at 5V 2A. Smartphone chargers are 5V 1A. Using the smartphone charger on the tablet will take ~2x as long. Using the tablet charger on the smartphone will not do any damage. The phone will draw at the max rate of 5V 1A. My suggestion is to ditch the 1 amp chargers and use the 2 amp one exclusively.

That makes sense and while I agree in theory with your solution, it's not practicable at the moment. Given the number of microUSB devices my wife and I have on (6) and the number of 2A chargers we have (1), this isn't a sustainable solution yet.

P.S. B&N deserves a big FU for using what looks like a micro-USB tip, but making it proprietary.

Yes. Big asshole move. If they want to be like Apple and get money on accessories like the cables, they should do so above-board and make an obviously-proprietary interface.

Edited by zenter, 30 January 2012 - 03:00 PM.

#41 jayhoz

• 12,374 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 03:47 PM

I understand that video is not hardware-accelerated yet. I know this would be a big thing for me, given my interest in Netflix and MLB.TV. Is this understanding wrong?

I don't know that I've tried those on the TP. Youtube seems to work well.

Also also, I'm thinking I might want to wait for ICS. Is that not a smart move?

No problem with waiting. The initial steps will be the same regardless of whether it is CM7 or CM9. If you do CM7 now just don't do too much customization as you will need to do it all again when you go CM9.

#42 Blacken

• Paddy Tanniger the Caddy Manager

• 8,686 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:04 PM

Yes. Big asshole move. If they want to be like Apple and get money on accessories like the cables, they should do so above-board and make an obviously-proprietary interface.

No kidding. I haven't been able to find a reliable vendor for chargers/cables for the goddamn thing. I'd be getting a Nook Tablet for development purposes (Nook Color and Optimus V for Android games, Nook Tablet and up for 'HD' versions, as I need additional RAM for higher-definition 2D graphics) but the chargers are a roiling, steaming piece of shit.

They make getting a Kindle Fire tempting, aside from its general inability to install a not-retarded version of Android.

Edited by Blacken, 30 January 2012 - 04:05 PM.

#43 smastroyin

• simpering whimperer

• 17,199 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:59 PM

As I mentioned above I bought my friend's Acer A500 and that also has a proprietary charger, with a huge transformer and a cord about 18" long, and the charger port is on the opposite side as the headphone jack and power button so basically the "bottom" which makes propping it up while charging a complete pain in the fucking ass. I only find this mildly inconvenient but I really really really hate shitty design. I would probably have returned it if I had played full price.

#44 Nick Kaufman

• 8,459 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:00 PM

Hardware acceleration isn't working on CM9. I dunno about CM7.

#45 Jnai

• is not worried about sex with goats

• 9,803 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:43 PM

It's dual boot anyway. If you really wanted Netflix or whatever, you could switch back over.

#46 William Robertson

• 3,469 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:18 PM

I guess this is a stupid question, but I've never really seen a direct answer:

If you get an iPad, and then attach it to a keyboard, why is that any different/better from a lightweight notebook, say, a MacBook Air?

Is it mostly just a matter of the touchscreen?

#47 NortheasternPJ

• SoSH Member

• 6,123 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:54 PM

I guess this is a stupid question, but I've never really seen a direct answer:

If you get an iPad, and then attach it to a keyboard, why is that any different/better from a lightweight notebook, say, a MacBook Air?

Is it mostly just a matter of the touchscreen?

For me I only use the keyboard when traveling etc. 90% of the time I don't have it with me. It's not better than a MacBook air but I'd mch rather use my iPad for typical web surfing etc than having a laptop.

#48 natpastime162

• 1,110 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:06 PM

I want a tablet for browsing websites and reading blogs. My biggest "hate" part of any device is slow/slugglish operation. I've considered putting an SSD in every device in the apartment for just that reason. Would I be happy with the Kindle Fire, or am I better off with something else? Noticed the Blackberry Playbook 32GB is on sale for $200

#49 teddykgb

• 3,766 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:24 PM

i don't think there's any realistic scenario where you'll be happy with a Blackberry Playbook.

the ipad3 will be announced in a week. It probably will be a spec bump with a retina display, but it should drive down ipad2 and ipad1 prices

If you're anti apple and want something else, the Fire has some lag that you'll probably notice, but it isn't due to memory (they're all flash, obviously). It's overall pretty speedy, though.

#50 natpastime162

• 1,110 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:56 PM

i don't think there's any realistic scenario where you'll be happy with a Blackberry Playbook.

the ipad3 will be announced in a week. It probably will be a spec bump with a retina display, but it should drive down ipad2 and ipad1 prices

If you're anti apple and want something else, the Fire has some lag that you'll probably notice, but it isn't due to memory (they're all flash, obviously). It's overall pretty speedy, though.

Nope, I'll use whatever device meets my needs. Use an iPhone for just that reason. Price tag is the major detractor against an iPad.