Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

tonight in jungleland - african cup of nations 12

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 ossie schreckengost

• 2,482 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 02:49 AM

Posted Image

the greatest continental cup there is.

and even if some of your best friends are black, do not even pretend those goalies are good. they´re shit, and that´s why we love them.

the great jonathan wilson on the myth of progress re: african football

http://www.guardian....all-progressing

-----------

this time around i guess i will be a botswanian zebra, as i have always been.

i love this tournament to death. it´s so much better than our patronizing old world league shit is making it out to be.

#2 Infield Infidel

• teaching korea american

• 8,587 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 03:23 AM

Don't forget ossie, the only thing perhaps worse than the goalies are the referees.

#3 OldSaintJohn

• swansoned his way on the site

• 732 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 03:41 AM

Don't forget ossie, the only thing perhaps worse than the goalies are the referees.

Or the accomodations

#4 biollante

• SoSH Member

• 7,858 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 06:27 AM

And how many games will be thrown ?
  • Look for winners not to beat the spread but still win ~ no eyes are raised and the mobs make their money.

#5 Tony the Pony

• Fork You Schpors

• 3,131 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:58 PM

Today in Egypt:

Well over a 100 dead they say now.

#6 PedroSpecialK

• Comes at you like a tornado of hair and the NHL salary cap

• 17,041 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:24 PM

At least 73 dead with over 1,000 injured.

Guess the next one's behind closed doors!

#7 Tangled Up In Red

• 1,103 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:03 AM

WTF, was that back zone just a death/mosh/stomp pit??!! Not ot be morbid, but where and how did the 100 deaths happen?
The riot cops were potted plants.

#8 AverageJoe

• 3 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:06 AM

WTF, was that back zone just a death/mosh/stomp pit??!! Not ot be morbid, but where and how did the 100 deaths happen?
The riot cops were potted plants.

I't's like Hillsborough in '89 and Heysel in 85. Crowd crush is serious and difficult to control. It can be like a tsunami a wall of people. Combined with adreneline and what seems like political fury it was insane. The videos are crazy. Stampedes are dangerous enough- but it seems like people got in with weapons and fireworks, etc.

It does seem odd that the riot cops didn't even seem to move though. That is weird.

#9 Tony the Pony

• Fork You Schpors

• 3,131 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:07 AM

Fireworks and knives.

Dozens of people carved up like shoarma.

Hmm, shoarma

(EDIT: has anybody seen the videos of injured supporters being treated among upset players in the Al-Ahly locker room? According to the Portuguese manager, people died there)

Edited by Tony the Pony, 02 February 2012 - 09:36 AM.

#10 Jimmy Walsh

• 10 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:03 PM

Video below seems to have some of what you're describing

#11 Tony the Pony

• Fork You Schpors

• 3,131 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:24 PM

Read some email correspondence with a guy that used to represent the Sheriff (Al-Ahly keeper - not Hnidy) and Ghaly (Al-Ahli captain) and he told me both players were kicked and punched a few times, but no injuries among the players. he also said the shit hit the fan when Ghaly was red carded about 10 minutes before the game was over, and Al Masri scored the two goals to break the tied and put the game away. Their fans were celebrating on the pitch, and the security people did nothing.

He also said the Al-Ahli players decided on the spot to retire their football careers.

To be continued, I'm sure.

Edited by Tony the Pony, 02 February 2012 - 03:21 PM.

#12 AverageJoe

• 3 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:44 PM

I'd be curious to see the footage that just preceedes the video embedded above. Obviously the players were already running for the locker room here and many were already on the pitch chasing them or following, I can't really tell. Not that it really changes the outcome, it is just obviously part way into the melee already.

Thanks for the information Tony.

#13 DLew On Roids

• guilty of being sex

• 12,253 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 05:53 PM

The Guardian's Football Weekly podcast reported that when one set of supporters charged the other's stand, the fleeing supporters found the tunnels were blocked, hence the crush.

Bob Bradley joined marches in support of the injured. Class act:

Posted Image

#14 Tony the Pony

• Fork You Schpors

• 3,131 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 06:37 PM

I heard stories about supporters strangled and suffocated with club scarves. People tossed down the back-side of the stand. Saw pictures of people waving huge fuckin knives. Madness.

#15 ossie schreckengost

• 2,482 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:30 AM

hey, that´s NOTabout the african cup of nations!

that´s about youse bourgeois democrats´hope in that laughable thing you used to call "the arab spring". and it´s springier than ever. you could see by the clips al jazeera was showing that the riot police formed a corridor for the X ultras to attack the Y ultras , that it was a premeditated "soccer riot" if ever there was one...

and when the deeds are done and the bodies are counted it will be the islamic brotherhood who will be called on to restore: "peace".

------

anyway.

tomorrow there will be football played in earnest in the acn, the quarters:

zambia vs sudan, and the ivory coast vs equatorial guinea at the eqatorial´s home. match of the fucking day.

on sunday it will be ghana vs the eventual winner tunisia, and gabon vs mali in what should be the most entertaining match of the whole tournament. in a good way.

semis: next week.

it´s such a great tournament.

Edited by ossie schreckengost, 04 February 2012 - 12:32 AM.

#16 biollante

• SoSH Member

• 7,858 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 07:56 AM

Apparently, the whole riot was just a political expression. Does this make Bob Bradley a fascist ?