Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

V-mart out for season

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 soxhop411

• SoSH Member

• 9351 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:27 PM

Steve Berthiaume @SBerthiaumeESPN1m
Yikes! RT/ @beckjason: #Tigers announce Victor Martinez has suffered torn ACL. Surgery would likely sideline him for the season

Matthew B. Mowery @matthewbmowery1m
#Tigers announce VMart has suffered a torn ACL in his left knee. If he needs surgery, he'll be out for entire 2012 season

yikes

Edited by soxhop411, 17 January 2012 - 03:27 PM.

#2 the1andonly3003

• 956 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:29 PM

glad we didn't give him that massive contract...still think Crawford was a horrendous signing?

#3 glennhoffmania

• Miracle Whipper

• 8382989 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:36 PM

I don't see the relevance of Crawford's contract.

And yes, yes it was.

#4 Foulkey Reese

• foulkiavelli

• 20007 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:38 PM

glad we didn't give him that massive contract...still think Crawford was a horrendous signing?

Crawford had wrist surgery today...
https://twitter.com/.../TBritton_Projo

Edited by Foulkey Reese, 17 January 2012 - 03:40 PM.

#5 Stu Nahan

• 3702 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:39 PM

TBritton_Projo Tim Britton

"We're not ruling out Opening Day, but we're not going to put a timeline on it. Carl will be ready when he's ready."

Sounds promising. Christ

#6 HangingW/ScottCooper

• 1032 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:53 PM

While Victor didn't catch much last year, perhaps we can use this as a potential trade destination for Salty.

#7 trekfan55

• SoSH Member

• 5494 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 05:02 PM

Twitter is full of stories about all teams with a potential DH calling Detroit and Johnny Damon calling Detroit, etc.

While we cannot compare contracts, at we can be relieved that the Sox did not sign Vmart long term (except, how exactly did he tear his ACL?)

#8 Scoops Bolling

• 2825 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 05:57 PM

While Victor didn't catch much last year, perhaps we can use this as a potential trade destination for Salty.

Alex Avila can probably suffice with a very low cost backup.

#9 Hendu for Kutch

• 3491 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:00 PM

I read earlier this offseason that they were done with Marinez catching and that he'd be the full-time DH. The plan was to sign a backup catcher. So I don't think they'll be looking for a catcher due to his injury, more likely just the best bat they can get.

#10 Hendu's Gait

• 3/5's member

• PipPipPip
  • 7918 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:27 PM

Time to sell high on Lavarn? He's kind of the hobo's version of Vmart

#11 wilked

• 354 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:09 PM

I guess that you don't subscribe to the Butterfly Effect...

#12 Sampo Gida

• 3113 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:45 AM

Apparently V-Marts contract was insured.

The Tigers are expected to gain a good amount of money with insurance on Martinez's contract, which could give them more flexibility in taking on a big salary.

http://detroit.tiger...ws_det&c_id=det

Also, DH is a good position to fill at the last moment given the flood of available hitters looking for jobs. Damon, Pena, Vlad, Matsui, Branyan, etc. Of course, it's not possible to replace V-Marts bat, but the fact he will be missed means it was not a bad contract (eg I am not sure we will miss Crawford that much, at least not the 2011 Crawford).

Too bad for V-Mart, he was a class act. Fortunately the injury does not look career threatening.

#13 mauidano

• Mai Tais for everyone!

• 12568 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:28 AM

Sprowl; if you're out there...we need one more "Wiktor" picture in honor of a good guy who's done for the year.

#14 m0ckduck

• 277 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:16 AM

Crawford had wrist surgery today...
https://twitter.com/.../TBritton_Projo

I'm not going to try to document every instance, but— anecdotally— it feels like the Sox have been involved in an AWFUL lot of these 'damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't' personnel decisions over the past several years, where hindsight reveals that it was in fact the right move to cut a guy loose but then the guy we get with the leftover money/assets ALSO turns out to be hurt or ineffective. The big post-2004 moves (Damon/Crisp, OCab/Renteria, Pedro/Clement + Wells) set the template for this, but then it's kept chugging right along with Nixon/Drew (to some extent), Renteria/Lugo, Bay/Cameron and so forth.

#15 the1andonly3003

• 956 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:44 PM

I'm not going to try to document every instance, but— anecdotally— it feels like the Sox have been involved in an AWFUL lot of these 'damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't' personnel decisions over the past several years, where hindsight reveals that it was in fact the right move to cut a guy loose but then the guy we get with the leftover money/assets ALSO turns out to be hurt or ineffective. The big post-2004 moves (Damon/Crisp, OCab/Renteria, Pedro/Clement + Wells) set the template for this, but then it's kept chugging right along with Nixon/Drew (to some extent), Renteria/Lugo, Bay/Cameron and so forth.

Difference is that Theo was calling the shots and now it is a poor man's version that sounds like him, named Ben, making those calls

Edited by the1andonly3003, 18 January 2012 - 01:44 PM.

#16 Sprowl

• mikey lowell of the sandbox

• 20194 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:00 PM

Sprowl; if you're out there...we need one more "Wiktor" picture in honor of a good guy who's done for the year.

This is very sad news. Frau Blücher is all verklempt.

Posted Image

#17 Pearl Wilson

• SoSH Member

• 5975 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:04 PM

Posted Image

As is Frau JMOH. And me :smith:

#18 wibi

• SoSH Member

• 7691 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:56 PM

Part way fixed but more still to go

http://espn.go.com/m...ry-require-more

DETROIT -- Tigers star Victor Martinez is now recovering from surgery on his left knee to repair an injury that is expected to keep him out of the 2012 lineup.
The team announced Monday that Martinez had microfracture surgery on Friday, as well as repairs to the medial and lateral meniscus. He is projected to have ACL reconstruction surgery on the same knee in six to eight weeks.

#19 cromulence

• 1888 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 03:13 PM

Wow. That's a much bigger deal than ACL surgery. Have to question whether he can really ever catch again.

#20 Average Reds

• SoSH Member

• 9946 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:18 PM

Wow. That's a much bigger deal than ACL surgery. Have to question whether he can really ever catch again.

I thought the exact same thing after I read the espn piece. Hard for me to believe he ever does much catching in the future.

#21 SumnerH

• Malt Liquor Picker

• 14273 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:03 PM

I thought the exact same thing after I read the espn piece. Hard for me to believe he ever does much catching in the future.

That's mitigated a little by the fact that Detroit already wasn't using him much at catcher. He was only behind the dish for 26 games last season (with 112 at DH and 6 at first), and there were rumblings that even that much was unlikely in the future IIRC.