Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Sox re-sign Jacoby Ellsbury

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 inJacobyWeTrust

• 454 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:48 PM

Per Boston.com, no details yet.

Edit: I apologize for the misleading title, was just quoting Boston.com. Multiple reports say it's just a 1 yr, $8.05 mil deal to avoid arb.

Edited by inJacobyWeTrust, 17 January 2012 - 02:54 PM.

#2 page 2 protege

• 125 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:55 PM

Per Boston.com, no details yet.

Edit: I apologize for the misleading title, was just quoting Boston.com. Multiple reports say it's just a 1 yr, $8.05 mil deal to avoid arb.

http://www.boston.co...s_ellsbury.html

Yep, Aviles and Ellsbury. Aviles for 1.2 and Jacoby at 8.05, continuing the Sox trend of avoiding Arb

#3 MikeM

• 841 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:59 PM

Ya know, if 2 years from now there are still people speculating whether or not CC's contract will prevent us from re-signing Ellsbury to some mammoth $20m/per deal,that in itself will represent a pretty epic win for us. Sometimes i think people overlook that general aspect there. A potential no-sign 2 years from now isn't necessarily a "loss".

In fact, it just might play out to be the most positive impact the Crawford signing ends up having on this franchise, in a twisted/aftermath kind of manner. Especially given the pretty extensive rebuild/retooling job we'll have on our potential plate when that time rolls around (seriously, if we are going to move forward at that time with a $60m trio of Gonzalez/Crawford/Ellsbury as our base, i really hope to find some realistic visions of Ellsbury evolving into the next Barry Bonds dancing through my head)

#4 Sampo Gida

• 3,143 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:59 PM

Interesting to note Jacoby now making a tad more than Pedey in 2012 (8.05 vs 8.0) despite 1 year less service time. Just goes to show the advantages of going Y2Y if you are wiling to give up the security of an extension

#5 WrenHorn

• 18 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:42 PM

Interesting to note Jacoby now making a tad more than Pedey in 2012 (8.05 vs 8.0) despite 1 year less service time. Just goes to show the advantages of going Y2Y if you are wiling to give up the security of an extension

Definitely, but there is plenty to be said for job security. Personally, if I were the Red Sox I would be somewhat hesitant to go long-term on Ellsbury at this time, so I think year-to-year is really ideal. The advantage of arbitration is ultimately that you get a player at less than they would get in open-market, either in terms of years or in terms of dollars. If Ellsbury is a free-agent this year he's probably getting Crawford money.

From Pedroia's perspective, he was willing to give up some free-agent years in exchange for locking in financial security and likely above-average earnings relative to arbitration. This is really the first time it would be advantageous for Ellsbury to consider the same package but given how much better last year was than any previous year, I'm certain the long-term estimations between the Sox and Jacoby would be pretty different.

#6 BeantownIdaho

• 146 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:48 PM

He's a Boras client...enough said.