Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Can we talk Brady for a minute?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
355 replies to this topic

#101 FL4WL3SS

• Mrs. Dennis Wideman

• 6,254 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:51 AM

Now is the time I'm a grumpypants and remind people that Brady had a lousy personal game and yet the Pats still won against a very good team and still put up 23 points.I would take it as a GOOD sign that Brady played lousy and yet the team won. We've been hearing all year from the dimwitted likes of Felger that "OMG if Brady's not perfect they're gonna lose!" Nope.

I 100% agree with this.

I just don't think Baltimore had a particularly strong defensive game. The offensive line was controlling Baltimore's front 4 all game and they never really got much pressure on Brady. The running game was effective. Additionally, there were guys open on a lot of plays, Brady just couldnt' find them. It's great to point out how good Baltimore's defense has been all year, but it wasn't particularly telling of what happened in this game.

#102 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• now batting steve sal hiney. the leftfielder, hiney

• 25,691 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:54 AM

I 100% agree with this.

I just don't think Baltimore had a particularly strong defensive game. The offensive line was controlling Baltimore's front 4 all game and they never really got much pressure on Brady. The running game was effective. Additionally, there were guys open on a lot of plays, Brady just couldnt' find them. It's great to point out how good Baltimore's defense has been all year, but it wasn't particularly telling of what happened in this game.

I thought Baltmore covered our WRs and TEs quite well all day. Lewis ran with Welker step for step on the missed pass into the endzone early; there are very few LBs in the league that can do that. There was no "loose zone" like we saw from Denver.

I thought the Ravens were who we thought they were.

#103 RetractableRoof

• 815 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:54 AM

The one thing I thought I noticed yesterday that gave me pause was the type of balls he was throwing. All season long (and when he was on his interception free streak) the balls were intended to be tight and toward the turf. High percentage stuff - "if my guy can't catch it, no one can". There are always exceptions, but during the regular season when he is successful he just rarely seems to try to "float one in there". I don't think he has the sense of touch on the deep ball (that isn't to say he can't throw it) or on the longer routes when he puts air under the ball.

In yesterdays game he seemed to be throwing more balls with air under them, and those are the balls that get picked a higher percentage of the time when an error happens.

1) Is my mind playing (more) tricks on me with this observation?
2) If there is some substance to this, what would cause it? Are they forced to try different routes and types of plays because of the quality of the defense? Is he pressing more and that little bit of touch is missing because of it? When some pitchers try to be too fine with the strike zone they seem to lose something that ends up with them being wild - is this Brady's version of that?

Genuine questions there - I never played QB and don't know.

#104 SWHB

• 151 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:09 PM

I 100% agree with this.

I think this is crazy talk. If Brady throws the exact same passes against the Giants in two weeks, he probably ends up with 0 picks. Both of the picks required very good plays by the defenders (especially the end zone pick, but the other one was a tough play too). It wasn't like Brady was throwing the ball into linebackers' chests or into triple coverage or anything. To me, it was like a pitcher who throws a good curveball off the plate that gets taken out of the park - sure, he's got to take the blame, but he didn't pitch as badly as his stat line.

#105 triniSox

• 1,125 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 04:36 PM

http://tucsoncitizen...lls-on-qb-guru/

“Sunday’s performance will kill Tom for two weeks,” Martinez said from his California home. “Winning Super Bowls are what Tom plays for.

“Tom texted saying he was really, really glad his team won. But he knows he needs to play a lot better. We talked about some things mechanically he needs to do better. I can’t share those. But I’ll text him some things I think will help him.”

Meanwhile, he immerses himself in helping Brady get back to being Brady in a bid to win a fourth Super Bowl.

“Even though the Giants are really good, I anticipate Tom playing really, really well in the Super Bowl,” Martinez said.

I'm happy Brady is fortunate enough to reach out to his go-to guy for his mechanics. This makes me even more confident he'll be razor sharp for the big game.

#106 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 22,105 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:01 PM

http://tucsoncitizen...lls-on-qb-guru/

I'm happy Brady is fortunate enough to reach out to his go-to guy for his mechanics. This makes me even more confident he'll be razor sharp for the big game.

Not quite sure what Martinez means by this:

“I’m proud of our relationship. He understands when they won their Super Bowls before he felt it was his job to go out and protect the football and that the older guys would win it.

“Now Tom’s the man.”

I mean, Brady was the man in all three SB wins, along with stout defense. Well, maybe the Pats were conservative in 36 until the game winning drive. Martinez/Brady is a great story though. The special about them CBS ran on Thanksgiving seemed really genuine.

#107 Carmine Hose

• 3,505 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:26 PM

You wonder how much his mechanics were off due to the left shoulder injury, affecting the throwing balance.

O'Brien and McDaniels need to get in the lab and figure out a countermeasure to what the NYG in SB 42, the Jets, and now the Ravens have thrown at Brady. Rushing 3 or 4 and flooding the field with coverage. I think the swing pass to an RB (who stays in to protect a blitz and then flares out when it doesn't materialize) like Woodhead would generate decent yardage and bring the LBs back toward the line, opening up the soft underneath zone. It also has the benefit of beating any G-Men 4 man rush that wouldn't have time to develop.

#108 Mystic Merlin

• SoSH Member

• 21,959 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:40 PM

I thought they did exactly what they needed to Sunday - they ran the ball well when the Ngata-less nickel was out there, and they had some plays open.

But Tom didn't hit guys with the regularity we've been accustomed to. If he doesn't, nothing they do in the 'lab' will amount to shit.

EDIT - A typical Brady game and the Pats score 30+ points. If your OL can't block, you're fucked. There's certain ways of attacking an aggressive DL, but that isn't the Ravens or Giants - they are talented enough to play 2-ways with discipline and still get pressure. Block for Brady and count on him to diagnose coverages and make throws, that's really the only way to go about it.

Edited by Mystic Merlin, 24 January 2012 - 07:46 PM.

#109 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 10,420 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:45 PM

Brady has never put upre than 27 points in a game against Baltimore. They have notoriously been a tough matchup for us. Give the Ravens credit.

#110 Mystic Merlin

• SoSH Member

• 21,959 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:48 PM

I'm commenting on the fact that Brady missed throws or forced throws he otherwise never does, and that it had nothing to do with the Ravens pass rush or coverage. How else can you explain the Gronk overthrow or the Slater INT? Those were unforced errors - the Ravens got as little pressure on him as I've ever seen.

The Ravens D is good, but that doesn't mean I have to give them de facto credit for Brady missing a TD throw Tebow would have hit. I also don't care about past Ravens performances vs. Brady - I'm commenting on what I saw yesterday, not in '10 or '09 or '07.

Edited by Mystic Merlin, 24 January 2012 - 07:51 PM.

#111 SWHB

• 151 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:30 PM

I'm commenting on the fact that Brady missed throws or forced throws he otherwise never does, and that it had nothing to do with the Ravens pass rush or coverage. How else can you explain the Gronk overthrow or the Slater INT? Those were unforced errors - the Ravens got as little pressure on him as I've ever seen.

The Ravens D is good, but that doesn't mean I have to give them de facto credit for Brady missing a TD throw Tebow would have hit. I also don't care about past Ravens performances vs. Brady - I'm commenting on what I saw yesterday, not in '10 or '09 or '07.

But even when he's playing well he doesn't hit every throw. Hell, he looked pretty damn good throwing 6 TDs against Denver but still had a pick where he overthrew Gronk badly. I think you're reading too much into a handful of plays. There are very few defenses in the NFL that grab either of the INTs last week, I think, and from that angle the Baltimore defense absolutely deserves credit.

#112 BunnzMcGinty

• 147 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:31 PM

You wonder how much his mechanics were off due to the left shoulder injury, affecting the throwing balance.

O'Brien and McDaniels need to get in the lab and figure out a countermeasure to what the NYG in SB 42, the Jets, and now the Ravens have thrown at Brady. Rushing 3 or 4 and flooding the field with coverage. I think the swing pass to an RB (who stays in to protect a blitz and then flares out when it doesn't materialize) like Woodhead would generate decent yardage and bring the LBs back toward the line, opening up the soft underneath zone. It also has the benefit of beating any G-Men 4 man rush that wouldn't have time to develop.

This was my thought exactly. Brady didn't seem especially nervous or rushed against Baltimore to me, but so many of his passes seemed too low for their intended targets. Am I completely delusional on this? Also, I'm no genius on mechanics, but could his performance have been that affected by the injury to his non throwing shoulder?

#113 dcmissle

• SoSH Member

• 12,778 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:26 PM

This was my thought exactly. Brady didn't seem especially nervous or rushed against Baltimore to me, but so many of his passes seemed too low for their intended targets. Am I completely delusional on this? Also, I'm no genius on mechanics, but could his performance have been that affected by the injury to his non throwing shoulder?

At what point in the Denver game, during his almost flawless performance, do you suppose Brady aggravated that shoulder? Note that he sat out practices before last Wednesday.

#114 dcmissle

• SoSH Member

• 12,778 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:07 AM

I will add this though -- If you were to parachute in from another planet, you might think the roles of Brady and Eli were reversed. Who is the unflappable one?

Yesterday, Tom says it's just another football game.

Now the below via PFT.com, with emphasis added in red.

There is an oft-repeated story about Tom Brady’s rookie season in New England. Brady was about to introduce himself to owner Robert Kraft when Kraft beat him to the punch.

Brady’s response: “Drafting me was the best decision this franchise has ever made.”

Brady made a similar promise to Kraft in the wake of the AFC title game. He told the owner he would play much better two weeks later, in the Super Bowl. Brady didn’t sound comfortable discussing that promise to the media Thursday.

“I’m always trying to play better. Every player on this team is trying to play better every week,” he said via ESPNBoston.com. “I’m glad we won that game, glad we’re sitting in this position now. I think a lot of guys played really well and that’s what it is going to take again this week. I always have private conversations with Mr. Kraft, but they’re supposed to be private. I guess they’re not.”

Translation: Please don’t ask me about that promise again.

Brady’s challenge is to play his best against an opponent that he struggled against in Week 9. Brady may have thought he “sucked” in the AFC title game, but we’d argue his worst game of the year came against the Giants. New York didn’t get great pressure on him, but he missed a lot of throws.

Brady knows the pain that will come if he doesn’t fulfill that promise to Kraft in Indianapolis.

“There’s certainly a finality to this game that you’re putting absolutely everything you can into it preparation-wise,” he said.

#115 ShaneTrot

• 4,526 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:37 AM

Brady’s challenge is to play his best against an opponent that he struggled against in Week 9. Brady may have thought he “sucked” in the AFC title game, but we’d argue his worst game of the year came against the Giants. New York didn’t get great pressure on him, but he missed a lot of throws.

Brady knows the pain that will come if he doesn’t fulfill that promise to Kraft in Indianapolis.

“There’s certainly a finality to this game that you’re putting absolutely everything you can into it preparation-wise,” he said.

Well if struggling is throwing for 342 yards, let the struggling continue. He made mistakes in that game but he had the Pats with the lead with 1:40 left in the game.

#116 dcmissle

• SoSH Member

• 12,778 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:47 AM

Well if struggling is throwing for 342 yards, let the struggling continue. He made mistakes in that game but he had the Pats with the lead with 1:40 left in the game.

That's not my characterization; I should have quoted everything after the word "red".

I just find the "private conversations" point very un-Brady-like, and the "just another game" remark an argument to himself.

Throughout the year, there was more than an occasional flash in Brady that suggested he was under a great deal of pressure. That's understandable because he was -- at times they appeared, literally, defenseless, and everything was on him and the offense.

But right now, based just on how they played and comported themselves this post-season, I'd be guessing that it was Eli's 5th SB appearance, not Tom's.

#117 tims4wins

• PN23's replacement

• 7,028 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:52 AM

Throughout the year, there was more than an occasional flash in Brady that suggested he was under a great deal of pressure.

That is actually where I was coming from when I started this thread. Even in the first playoff game against Denver, when he threw the early pick, he reacted so angrily, so pissed that he had given the Broncos a chance to get back in the game. Granted, he had every right to be angry, but it really looked like he was feeling the pressure. Similar reaction last week after the first ppick against the Ravens. It's like he knows he is getting closer to the end of his career, he knows these opportunities to win championships are limited, and he can't afford to make any mistakes that would cost them. And that's a hard way to play football - mistakes will be made, the other guys get paid too. Easier said than done, but he needs to relax. FWIW, I don't think he'd be acting the same way if they had secured that 4th title, be it in 2006 or 2007 or last year. And I think if they do beat the Giants, we'll see him a lot more relaxed in the next few seasons.

#118 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• now batting steve sal hiney. the leftfielder, hiney

• 25,691 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:53 AM

Maybe he can take a beta blocker before the game or something!

#119 dcmissle

• SoSH Member

• 12,778 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:06 AM

That is actually where I was coming from when I started this thread. Even in the first playoff game against Denver, when he threw the early pick, he reacted so angrily, so pissed that he had given the Broncos a chance to get back in the game. Granted, he had every right to be angry, but it really looked like he was feeling the pressure. Similar reaction last week after the first ppick against the Ravens. It's like he knows he is getting closer to the end of his career, he knows these opportunities to win championships are limited, and he can't afford to make any mistakes that would cost them. And that's a hard way to play football - mistakes will be made, the other guys get paid too. Easier said than done, but he needs to relax. FWIW, I don't think he'd be acting the same way if they had secured that 4th title, be it in 2006 or 2007 or last year. And I think if they do beat the Giants, we'll see him a lot more relaxed in the next few seasons.

Face it -- we're all practicing pyschology without a license. But a couple of things --

1. I don't know about Boston, but in many other places, this game is regarded as historic from the BB/Brady perspective. I believe they might be the only QB/HC tandem to make 5 SBs. And the conversation, at least in DC, is: they win this, they really are in the pantheon. They are with Lombardi and Starr, and everyone else is on at least one level below.

2. At what point does win-for-Myra become too much? Particularly given Brady's close relationship with Kraft, who these days is crying openly like Dick Vermeil -- for very understandable reasons. I can see that helping the rest of our team, but not the QB.

3. In this context, the "revenge" angle is a pittance. Most of the guys are gone, and there is no proportional revenge for losing a perfect season cause the Giants are not perfect.

What's a bit interesting to me is that this time, unlike last time, Eli comes with pressure of his own. Can you do it again? Can you get one ring more than your older brother?

Much more is expected from Eli this time, but you'd never know it.

Edited by dcmissle, 27 January 2012 - 11:07 AM.

#120 ragnarok725

• 4,065 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:08 AM

I just find the "private conversations" point very un-Brady-like, and the "just another game" remark an argument to himself.

Did you see the interview or just look at the quote? Honest question. The quote in red was said with a pretty joking tone. It was very Brady-like. He's been himself in interviews as far as I can tell. You can say he's feeling pressure for all the reasons you think he should, I just really haven't seen it in any of his media interactions.

Video of the exchange: http://www.patriots....60-cecf2db764d4

Starts at about 2:30

Edited by ragnarok725, 27 January 2012 - 11:12 AM.

#121 tims4wins

• PN23's replacement

• 7,028 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:09 AM

Plus, it wasn't all that private of a conversation - NFL Films caught the whole thing.

#122 dcmissle

• SoSH Member

• 12,778 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:24 AM

Did you see the interview or just look at the quote? Honest question. The quote in red was said with a pretty joking tone. It was very Brady-like. He's been himself in interviews as far as I can tell. You can say he's feeling pressure for all the reasons you think he should, I just really haven't seen it in any of his media interactions.

Video of the exchange: http://www.patriots....60-cecf2db764d4

Starts at about 2:30

I hadn't, but I watched it and agree with you it was said in a joking tone. Reporters laughed too. Thanks.

#123 Marbleheader

• SoSH Member

• 7,100 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:52 AM

Tom came up short again when it mattered the most. I think he cost himself a chance to be among the all-time greatest last night. With the ball, a lead, and under 5 minutes to play, he needs to find a way to put the game away if he wants to be in that pantheon. I'm confident Eli would have. He's now come up small in the playoffs as many times lately as he come up big in his early years. I don't know what happened, but the guy who took a nap before the game 10 years ago has become the guy so uptight that he makes an embarrassing play on his first play of the game. This one's on Tom, and he deserves the criticism he's going to get. The body of work is sprinkled with enough failure that he is no longer immune from questioning.

#124 lexrageorge

• 3,125 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:11 AM

Brady did complete 14 passes in a row at one point in the game, so saying "This one's on Tom" is about the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a while. If Welker, Branch, or Hernandez made Manningham type plays in the 4th quarter, then the conversation becomes very different. Plus, that was a very questionable grounding call on that first play; hell, if one of 3 blockers actually blocked Tuck instead of letting him bounce off them then the play never happens. And Brady didn't put 12 men on the field. The QB can only do so much.

That said, Brady's not the same player he was 5 years ago. His pocket mobility isn't what it used to be, not surprising given his age and his repaired left knee. We will have to get used to the fact that the Brady over the next few seasons will not be as good as the old Brady. But he took a very flawed team, one with no deep threat, an mediocre running game, and a statistically awful defense, to the Super Bowl. I know this is going to be sacrilege to some folks, but I still haven't seen Ben Roethlisberger do that.

#125 drleather2001

• given himself a skunk spot

• 14,616 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:26 AM

The old Brady had a top 5 or top 10 defense to back him up, and in one year had a stud RB to help carry the load that was very much involved in the offense.

In other words, while he may not be "as good" as he was, he's about twice as responsible for the success of the team as he used to be. That has to change; not necessarily because Brady isn't good enough (he obviously is, at least for the time being), but because no player in any sport can be expected to be the savior every time. It didn't work for Marino, it didn't work for Favre, it didn't work for Peyton.

#126 Jungleland

• 604 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:37 AM

Through the second touchdown Brady had been excellent and had (at the time) more than made up for the opening play mistake. Those two drives were masterful, really, and if the Patriots had won in any fashion would be the story here. Following this, however, he fell apart. The deep interception intended for Gronkowski is a glaring example given that he had plenty of room to run and nearly cost the AFCCG on essentially the same ill-advised throw a single game prior. It was a poor, poor decision and a bad throw. On replay it appeared the defender was beaten by a mile and Gronk had to hold up for it. A better throw might have been a touchdown. Either way, it was far too risky a play to make on the run, and it was a costly mistake.

Welker should have caught the second down ball and is at least as responsible for that specific play, but it was a bad throw and was followed up by another poor throw to Branch. He hits one of those guys and it's an entirely different last three minutes. Which is precisely where the problem is. Brady played a good game overall, including a couple impressive stretches. But he made more mistakes than anyone else and largely more costly ones at that. Keep the stat line the same and change the outcome - if they win, he's the hero, and if they lose, he's the closest thing to a goat. It's as simple as that and really was that borderline in my opinion.

And as far as legacy goes, The Greatest of All Time Quarterback needs to make one of those plays. It was a team loss by a team that has a very good chance to be better next year, but between the safety, the pick, and the sudden loss of accuracy toward the end, he played himself out of Montana territory. It doesn't make last night his fault, but where history books are concerned, he wasn't good enough.

#127 ent5

• 1,598 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:37 AM

The old Brady had a top 5 or top 10 defense to back him up, and in one year had a stud RB to help carry the load that was very much involved in the offense.

In other words, while he may not be "as good" as he was, he's about twice as responsible for the success of the team as he used to be. That has to change; not necessarily because Brady isn't good enough (he obviously is, at least for the time being), but because no player in any sport can be expected to be the savior every time. It didn't work for Marino, it didn't work for Favre, it didn't work for Peyton.

This!

The media hyperbole about one player carrying a team is silly IMO. This team was not as good as the Giants, but they still were there......and yes..I prefer that they be there and lose rather not being there at all.

#128 Marbleheader

• SoSH Member

• 7,100 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:39 AM

Why is it ridiculous? Tom needs to know the rules and not even let that safety be a possibility. The D made a stop then had to get right back on the field. The TOP in the first half was pathetic. The underthrow to Gronk was pathetic. Like I said, Tom is very good, but an all-time great finds a way to put points on the board in the final 26 minutes. Tom couldn't do it.

#129 drleather2001

• 14,616 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:43 AM

Any team that's not the Packers, New Orleans, or the Giants would take Brady as their QB for the next three years, no questions asked.

Brady is not the problem.

Calling Brady the problem is like complaining that your girlfriend's tits are so nice that they make her neglect her saggy ass.

Why is it ridiculous? Tom needs to know the rules and not even let that safety be a possibility. The D made a stop then had to get right back on the field. The TOP in the first half was pathetic. The underthrow to Gronk was pathetic. Like I said, Tom is very good, but an all-time great finds a way to put points on the board in the final 26 minutes. Tom couldn't do it.

But Tom Brady is an "all time great." Is Marino an all time great? He never won a SB, so I guess not. Is Peyton Manning? He once lost a crucial game by putting up only 3 points, so no. Is Favre? He had a monumental fuckup in an NFC championship game and also lost a SB by not putting more points on the board.

Edited by drleather2001, 06 February 2012 - 09:46 AM.

#130 dcmissle

• SoSH Member

• 12,778 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:47 AM

It also didn't work for Elway until they surrounded him with some first rate personnel and lightened the load. We most definitely in the Elway -- Part II phase of Brady's career.

Tom did a phenomenal job this year bringing the team to this game under excruciating pressure because, for decent portions of the season, we seemed to have no defense at all. It's time to change that, and lots of the pieces are there on both sides of the ball. On defense we need one more impact player to add to Wilfork, Mayo, Spikes and Chung. We also need Dowling back healthy and contributing to his perceived capability. On offense, we need two deep threats -- one at WR, another at RB. I know the first one is not on the roster; don't know about the second.

EDIT: Damn straight Marino is an all time great. The supposed and oft ballwashed genius -- Don Shula, who occupied the same position with the Dolphins as BB holds down with the Pats -- never got Marino enough complementary pieces.

Edited by dcmissle, 06 February 2012 - 09:51 AM.

#131 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 12,258 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:49 AM

In the past 2 Super Bowls, Brady has generated 14 and 17 points, respectively, with high-powered offenses. Brady's certainly not the "problem" but he hasn't lived up to the (albeit unfair) hype.

#132 Jungleland

• 604 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:51 AM

Any team that's not the Packers, New Orleans, or the Giants would take Brady as their QB for the next three years, no questions asked.

Brady is not the problem.

Calling Brady the problem is like complaining that your girlfriend's tits are so nice that they make her neglect her saggy ass.

But Tom Brady is an "all time great." Is Marino an all time great? He never won a SB, so I guess not. Is Peyton Manning? He once lost a crucial game by putting up only 3 points, so no. Is Favre? He had a monumental fuckup in an NFC championship game and also lost a SB by not putting more points on the board.

Of course he's not the problem, and of course he's an all time great. But he's not the all time greatest, and they also didn't win last night. He's a mostly fantastic quarterback, but he's not infallible. That's the only real discussion afoot here, I think.

#133 Hendu's Gait

• 3/5's member

• PipPipPip
  • 7,918 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:53 AM

You (have) to catch the ball when you're supposed to catch the ball," . "My husband cannot [expletive] throw the ball and catch the ball at the same time. I can't believe they dropped the ball so many times."

-Gisele

That said, Gisele, Wes and Deion can't throw the ball and catch the ball at same time. You have to throw the ball accurately.

Edited by Hendu's Gait, 06 February 2012 - 09:53 AM.

#134 drleather2001

• 14,616 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:54 AM

wrong thread.

Edited by drleather2001, 06 February 2012 - 09:55 AM.

#135 lexrageorge

• 3,125 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:54 AM

Tom knows the rules. Thanks to the blocking (or not) of Tuck, Brady found Tuck in his face. The play called for him to throw from the end zone. So, he either could have (a) take the sack, same outcome; (b) attempted to avoid the sack, possibly risking a fumble in the process; or © throw it the middle of the field and hope a receiver gets close enough that the officials don't throw the flag.

The deep interception intended for Gronkowski is a glaring example given that he had plenty of room to run and nearly cost the AFCCG on essentially the same ill-advised throw a single game prior. It was a poor, poor decision and a bad throw. On replay it appeared the defender was beaten by a mile and Gronk had to hold up for it. A better throw might have been a touchdown. Either way, it was far too risky a play to make on the run, and it was a costly mistakeq.

This is another play where we'll just have to agree to disagree. Brady's protection collapsed, he was forced from the pocket, he saw an open Gronkowski, covered by an LB, and he threw it. 90% of it was a great play by Blackmon, on par with Benjamin Watson chasing down Champ Bailey. 10% of it was on Brady.

#136 Hendu's Gait

• 3/5's member

• PipPipPip
  • 7,918 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:57 AM

it was a great play by Blackmon, on par with Benjamin Watson chasing down Champ Bailey. 10% of it was on Brady.

true

BS

BS

#137 Jungleland

• 604 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:06 AM

Good play by Blackmon, poor throw by Brady, and a risky decision. It was a dumb thing to do on first down with a lead. I can see why Tom took his chances on it, but there's more than one reason he shouldn't have.

#138 CaptainLaddie

• dj paul pfieffer

• 23,106 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:11 AM

Doug Farrar of Yahoo posited that Brady was concussed on the 2nd half hit by Tuck as everything fell apart after that for him.

Would make sense.

#139 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 12,258 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:11 AM

Good play by Blackmon, poor throw by Brady, and a risky decision. It was a dumb thing to do on first down with a lead. I can see why Tom took his chances on it, but there's more than one reason he shouldn't have.

1st down at midfield. Hernandez was WIDE open on the right sideline. Brady forced the throw when he didn't have time to really step into it. On that type of throw, either you overthrow the receiver or he catches it. You absolutely cannot underthrow it, especially on 1st down. One of the worst decisions of Brady's career given the circumstances.

#140 moondog80

• heart is two sizes two small

• 1,700 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:12 AM

You (have) to catch the ball when you're supposed to catch the ball," . "My husband cannot [expletive] throw the ball and catch the ball at the same time. I can't believe they dropped the ball so many times."

-Gisele

That said, Gisele, Wes and Deion can't throw the ball and catch the ball at same time. You have to throw the ball accurately.

That's not a real quote, right?

#141 Hendu's Gait

• 3/5's member

• PipPipPip
  • 7,918 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:14 AM

That's not a real quote, right?

http://www.theinside...ates/index.html

#142 moondog80

• heart is two sizes two small

• 1,700 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:17 AM

http://www.theinside...ates/index.html

Wow. I'd cut her some slack if it was an emotional reaction right after one of the drops, but this might turn her into Yoko Ono.

#143 CaptainLaddie

• dj paul pfieffer

• 23,106 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:17 AM

Yeah that's a really dumb thing for her to say

#144 Jungleland

• 604 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:18 AM

1st down at midfield. Hernandez was WIDE open on the right sideline. Brady forced the throw when he didn't have time to really step into it. On that type of throw, either you overthrow the receiver or he catches it. You absolutely cannot underthrow it, especially on 1st down. One of the worst decisions of Brady's career given the circumstances.

Exactly. I can't help but keep thinking how BB preaches don't make the same mistake twice. Almost unfathomable to me that TB would do it in back to back games.

#145 Norm Siebern

• 2,829 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:25 AM

Was the pass to Gronkowski before or after he got crushed and reinjured his left shoulder? I forget. Just as many are forgetting that injury in the first place. That I am certain has as much to do with his poor 4th quarter as anything else.

Fuck it. This sucks.

#146 Norm Siebern

• 2,829 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:27 AM

Doug Farrar of Yahoo posited that Brady was concussed on the 2nd half hit by Tuck as everything fell apart after that for him.

Would make sense.

I wondered the same thing the moment when he came off the field. He was balls before the hit, and mortal afterward.

#147 bowiac

• I've been living a lie.

• 9,675 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:42 AM

Yeah that's a really dumb thing for her to say

I really wouldn't assume that that quote is real.

#148 Hendu's Gait

• 3/5's member

• PipPipPip
  • 7,918 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:44 AM

Did you press the play button and see for yourself the realness of the comment?

#149 86spike

• Currently enjoying "Arli$$"

• 22,123 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:44 AM

there's video of it

#150 lexrageorge

• 3,125 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:49 AM

Does it matter what Gisele thinks? It was said right after a crushing loss in response to a remark by a Dennis & Callahan fan. Yes, she should have said nothing. But sometimes things are a bit messier than the ideal. She's not on the field, so I really don't care.