Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

2012 PGA Tour

• Please log in to reply
841 replies to this topic

#1 Freddy Linn

• SoSH Member

• 5990 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:27 PM

New year, new thread. Stricker wins fairly comfortably at Kapalua. Tiger will debut at Pebble on February 9th, with rumors that he will be paired with Tim Tebow, who at Tahoe showed he plays golf as well as he throws intermediate routes.

Notable story here from the Sony Open:

It may be one of the most awkward moments in Golf Channel history.

Second round leader Matt Every was being interviewed during the Friday golf telecast by the Golf Channel's Kelly Tilghman after he finished with a 64, setting the 36-hole pace with a 10-under par 130 at the Sony Open.

After some questions about his round, Tilghman brought up Every's July 2010 arrest on marijuana possession charges.

After stammering around some awkard responses, Every dropped this major bomb to Tilghman:

"There's a lot worse stuff going on out here than what I got in trouble for," Every told Tilghman.

Faldo is apoplectic about Every's candor. I'm friendly with some journeymen of various mini-tours, and Every's comments are absolutely consistent with some of the stories I have heard (at least from almost a decade ago).

#2 barbed wire Bob

• crippled by fear

• 3127 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:03 AM

Let me guess: eating fried chicken and drinking beer in the locker rooms? This why I can't watch the PGA.

#3 Freddy Linn

• SoSH Member

• 5990 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:34 AM

Let me guess: eating fried chicken and drinking beer in the locker rooms? This why I can't watch the PGA.

Let me give you a hint: he's talking about coke and top players.

#4 Yaz4Ever

• sucking on the government teat

• 7987 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:04 AM

Anyone here have access to discounted (free?) PGA tour tickets? My daughter is volunteering at the PGA Championships at Kiawah Island, SC in August as a standard bearer. That's about 5 hours from our house, so I'll need to get a hotel room and I'd really rather not bear the cost of an additional $125-$200/day in tickets for myself nor would I like to sit in the hotel room by myself all day. I've got a couple of friends on the tour but I haven't heard anything back from them and the volunteer coordinator hasn't been any help in getting tickets (even at face value). At this point, I'm looking at StubHub (sold out directly through the PGA website) and the prices I've seen there range from $125 on Thursday to $200 on Sunday (low prices each day). She's going to be there Monday through Sunday. Had I known how much this was potentially going to set me back, I wouldn't have allowed her to volunteer, but now she's excited about it and I don't want to take that away. Worst case, I'll play it by ear down there, but I figured it couldn't hurt to reach out to SoSH and see if anything came from that.

#5 FL4WL3SS

• Mrs. Dennis Wideman

• 6007 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:15 AM

Let me give you a hint: he's talking about coke and top players.

Why don't you come right out and tell us? Kinda silly to beat around the bush here.

#6 Freddy Linn

• SoSH Member

• 5990 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:49 PM

Why don't you come right out and tell us? Kinda silly to beat around the bush here.

Every and I have some mutual acquaintances in the pro golf business. One acquaintance several years ago told me about a top player (let's say, major champion or serious major championship contender, trying to be sufficently vague) who has/had a major coke problem that wasn't a secret. I'm certain Every knows far more about that story than I, and I'm certain he knows far better stories than that. What he did pales in comparison to what the Tour knows, and since the Tour effectively prevented him from retaining his card in 2011 he is a little chapped about the attention.

#7 FL4WL3SS

• Mrs. Dennis Wideman

• 6007 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 03:15 PM

Mickelson? He always looks like he's coked up with the beady eyes.

#8 barbed wire Bob

• crippled by fear

• 3127 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:37 PM

I'd guess David Duval. He always wore wrap-around sun glasses so you couldn't see the beady, coked up eyes.

Freddy, any good gossip about players using PEDs?

Edited by barbed wire Bob, 14 January 2012 - 10:39 PM.

#9 Comfortably Lomb

• Koko the Monkey

• 6635 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:39 PM

Well I'm shocked a bunch of rich, white, alpha males might include some coke users. Fwiw weren't there always some drug questions with Duvall?

Edited by Comfortably Lomb, 16 January 2012 - 03:40 PM.

#10 PaulinMyrBch

• Don't touch his dog food

• 5005 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:35 AM

Tiger looking a little bulkier, but holding a share of the lead in the third round in Abu Dhabi. Pretty stout field, mostly the European Tour, but this is a pretty impressive start to the year.

#11 Lupe Whalewatch

• 1268 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:00 PM

Tiger looking a little bulkier, but holding a share of the lead in the third round in Abu Dhabi. Pretty stout field, mostly the European Tour, but this is a pretty impressive start to the year.

Fuse Science is Tiger's newest endorsement deal, apparently will be on his golf bag for the next five years. It's a .40 stock -ticker DROP- may be a cheap and interesting play if he starts winning tournaments again...

#12 Freddy Linn

• SoSH Member

• 5990 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:27 PM

Tied for the lead by two strokes after the third round. 16 GIR, 30 putts, six under.

He is hitting this little butter cut at about 90% that is awesome to watch. Narrower stance, teeing it lower, everything under complete control.

Whether you like it or not, he's back. Meanwhile Mickelson is playing like dogshit and missing the cut on the course he grew up on.

#13 BigMike

• SoSH Member

• 18097 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:35 AM

Well his complete control left him today as I believe he was able to hit 2 fairways the whole day. Just pull after pull with the driver.

#14 TheGodfather

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 12:57 PM

His little butter cut failed him.

#15 Freddy Linn

• SoSH Member

• 5990 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 06:41 PM

Making an eight on the final hole, after laying up on a reachable par 5, to surrender what was a six-shot lead, isn't so good.

#16 Bob Montgomery's Helmet Hat

• has big, douchey shoulders

• 12271 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 06:48 PM

No, although it did make for some good tv.

#17 BigMike

• SoSH Member

• 18097 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:16 PM

Oh you guys have to be kidding me. After watching for 2 hours, I left the house after he laid up and was in perfect position needing to get up and down from 90 yards in 5, I just decided to head out to the supermarket.

that's just unreal, now I have to hope the golf channel replays that

#18 johnmd20

• voice of soccer

• 16086 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:18 AM

Oh you guys have to be kidding me. After watching for 2 hours, I left the house after he laid up and was in perfect position needing to get up and down from 90 yards in 5, I just decided to head out to the supermarket.

that's just unreal, now I have to hope the golf channel replays that

I had it on my side TV and it was great TV but sad. His approach was actually pretty good, but the backspin was extreme and it rolled it right back into the water. Then he hits 5 and crushes the shot, taking the water out of play, to the back of the green, probably 50 feet away. He needed to two putt and he left his first putt short by 3-4 feet. Clearly, he was still scared. Then he missed the 4 footer. At least he didn't card a 9. Still, it was brutal to watch, I feel badly for the guy.

#19 BigMike

• SoSH Member

• 18097 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:23 AM

I had it on my side TV and it was great TV but sad. His approach was actually pretty good, but the backspin was extreme and it rolled it right back into the water. Then he hits 5 and crushes the shot, taking the water out of play, to the back of the green, probably 50 feet away. He needed to two putt and he left his first putt short by 3-4 feet. Clearly, he was still scared. Then he missed the 4 footer. At least he didn't card a 9. Still, it was brutal to watch, I feel badly for the guy.

It's funny because I think it was Feherty who was saying he would tackle Stanley if he didn't lay up on the second shot. After he layed up I kind of expected Feherty to say something like he would tackle him if he put the ball within 30 feet of the hole. I have watched it now, and honestly he hit a goot shot, and was unlucky, but really he had no business going for the flag there. He should have put that ball right in the middle of the green, or up on the back edge. He tried to do way more than he needed to with that shot

#20 Average Reds

• SoSH Member

• 9946 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:51 AM

It's funny because I think it was Feherty who was saying he would tackle Stanley if he didn't lay up on the second shot. After he layed up I kind of expected Feherty to say something like he would tackle him if he put the ball within 30 feet of the hole. I have watched it now, and honestly he hit a goot shot, and was unlucky, but really he had no business going for the flag there. He should have put that ball right in the middle of the green, or up on the back edge. He tried to do way more than he needed to with that shot

His mistake wasn't how far he hit that ball, it was hitting a club that would generate so much spin. I say this because even if he hit that shot well past the pin, the effect of the spin would have been amplified by the downhill and the ball still ends up in the water.

He needed to either lay up about 40 yards farther back so he wouldn't have had so much spin, or (and this may sound counter-intuitive) he should have gone for it in 2. Because contrary to the rantings of intellectual titans like Feherty. going for the green with the second shot pretty much guarantees victory if you have a 3 shot lead. Best case, you're over the water in 2 and now have 5 strokes to get up and down. Worst case, you go in the water and get to drop at whatever distance is most comfortable for the fourth shot, and you'll still have 3 putts for the win after you put the 4th shot anywhere on the green.

Quite literally the only way he could have blown a 3 shot lead was to put his third shot in the water, and the only way to bring this into play is to lay up. I know that broadcasters always talk about laying up as if it's the safest option. But in this case, the odds were much better for him if he went for the green in 2.

#21 Bob Montgomery's Helmet Hat

• has big, douchey shoulders

• 12271 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:40 PM

You know, that's a great point, and one I didn't think of at all. Faldo is usually pretty good at insight, so I'm surprised he didn't at least throw out this as a possible strategy.

#22 PaulinMyrBch

• 5005 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:08 AM

Agreed, but there are places on that green where the ball doesn't spin back even with that club in your hands. There are ways to hit a shot to minimize/maximize spin. Yea he was unlucky, but he put the shot where it could spin down a backslope. There are plenty of ways to take the water out of play on the third shot (meaning the slope, not hitting over it).

Edited by PaulinMyrBch, 31 January 2012 - 07:09 AM.

#23 johnmd20

• voice of soccer

• 16086 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:31 PM

Agreed, but there are places on that green where the ball doesn't spin back even with that club in your hands. There are ways to hit a shot to minimize/maximize spin. Yea he was unlucky, but he put the shot where it could spin down a backslope. There are plenty of ways to take the water out of play on the third shot (meaning the slope, not hitting over it).

Yeah, in the end he totally choked because as BigMike said, he had NO business going for the pin. Even after laying up, the only way he could have lost is if he went for the pin and spun it back into the water. And that's what he did. And then he made it worse with an awful 5th shot.(clearly rattled, which carried forward on his putt for 6 AND his putt for 7) It was a collapse in all regards.

I'm not good at golf and neither are my friends(handicaps ranging from 13 to 17) and we all would mock anyone who carded an 8 after being 85 yards away in two. For a pro to do that is brutal. For a pro to do that on the cusp of his first tour victory is nearly criminal. Thinking about it hurts.

#24 Average Reds

• SoSH Member

• 9946 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 02:22 PM

The fact that Stanley took his drop in the first cut specifically to take spin off the ball is a pretty good indicator that he doesn't have that shot in his arsenal yet.

He should have taken the water out of play by either drilling his second shot into the grandstands or playing his third long and right. With a three shot lead, either play guarantees him a victory.

#25 FL4WL3SS

• Mrs. Dennis Wideman

• 6007 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 02:50 PM

It's easy to critisize this after the fact, but if he had stuck that shot to within 6 feet, the commentary would have been about how he stuck to his gameplan and that's why he won. It's easy to look back and say he should have overshot the green there, but in the heat of the moment, I'm sure he felt in control. He's made that shot a hundred times.

#26 PaulinMyrBch

• 5005 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:24 AM

Yeah, in the end he totally choked because as BigMike said, he had NO business going for the pin. Even after laying up, the only way he could have lost is if he went for the pin and spun it back into the water. And that's what he did. And then he made it worse with an awful 5th shot.(clearly rattled, which carried forward on his putt for 6 AND his putt for 7) It was a collapse in all regards.

I'm not good at golf and neither are my friends(handicaps ranging from 13 to 17) and we all would mock anyone who carded an 8 after being 85 yards away in two. For a pro to do that is brutal. For a pro to do that on the cusp of his first tour victory is nearly criminal. Thinking about it hurts.

I agree. What I was saying was he could have hit his third shot to a safer area of the green. An area where the ball, even if it spins back, does not end up in the water.

The fact that Stanley took his drop in the first cut specifically to take spin off the ball is a pretty good indicator that he doesn't have that shot in his arsenal yet.

He should have taken the water out of play by either drilling his second shot into the grandstands or playing his third long and right. With a three shot lead, either play guarantees him a victory.

I disagree. Pros have that shot in their arsenal, all you do is deaden the wrist action through the shot and try not to pinch it so hard. But given the choice between two cuts when you're worried about spin, you always take the fluffier lie as it naturally minimizes the spin. I can control spin on my wedges when I need to, not that hard.

Edited by PaulinMyrBch, 01 February 2012 - 06:25 AM.

#27 johnmd20

• voice of soccer

• 16086 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:26 PM

It's easy to critisize this after the fact, but if he had stuck that shot to within 6 feet, the commentary would have been about how he stuck to his gameplan and that's why he won. It's easy to look back and say he should have overshot the green there, but in the heat of the moment, I'm sure he felt in control. He's made that shot a hundred times.

Here's the thing. The only way he could have lost, absolutely positively the only way, was if he put the ball in the water. So gameplan or not, he should have considered taking a shot that would take the water out of play by either hitting it longer or aiming right.

#28 FL4WL3SS

• Mrs. Dennis Wideman

• 6007 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:04 PM

Here's the thing. The only way he could have lost, absolutely positively the only way, was if he put the ball in the water. So gameplan or not, he should have considered taking a shot that would take the water out of play by either hitting it longer or aiming right.

I get what you're saying, but I'll never fault a golfer for being confident or over-aggressive. Golf is a mind-fuck and the one thing that successful golfers need is confidence and I really liked the kids confidence there.

We've seen Tiger in his prime do something as risky hundreds of times to win a tournament.

I agree, in hindsight, given the circumstances he should have played it differently, but in the heat of the moment I have no problem with his confidence in being able to make that shot. He plays that hole 100 times and he makes less than a triple 100 out of 100.

#29 FL4WL3SS

• Mrs. Dennis Wideman

• 6007 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:04 PM

Except that one time he didn't. :)

#30 johnmd20

• voice of soccer

• 16086 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:30 PM

Except that one time he didn't. :)

I just saw this. Well played.

#31 Average Reds

• SoSH Member

• 9946 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:22 PM

One week after his epic meltdown, Kyle Stanley has come from eight back to tie Spencer Levin on the 13th hole in the last round at Phoenix.

Going to be insane coming down the stretch.

Edit: And he birdies 14 to take the lead.

Edited by Average Reds, 05 February 2012 - 04:45 PM.

#32 Freddy Linn

• SoSH Member

• 5990 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:40 PM

Levin might throw a club to Tucson if he loses this. Is he chain-smoking?

#33 BigMike

• SoSH Member

• 18097 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:55 PM

Levin might throw a club to Tucson if he loses this. Is he chain-smoking?

yeah he definitely is. nice comeback for him at 14, and now it is tied at 15, with Crane lurking one stroke back

#34 Average Reds

• SoSH Member

• 9946 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:09 PM

Everyone choking at the moment.

Stanley and Crane way left on 16. (Crane with the bogey. Stanley with the par putt upcoming.) And Levin completely melting down on 15,

Fun.

Edit: Stanley makes the par at 16, and may end up clear by two strokes depending on what Levin does on 15.

Edited by Average Reds, 05 February 2012 - 05:11 PM.

#35 Freddy Linn

• SoSH Member

• 5990 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:10 PM

Spence is going to get arrested tonight. Would be nice for Stanley to pull this out.

#36 Average Reds

• SoSH Member

• 9946 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:17 PM

Good Christ. Does anyone want to win this?

#37 Freddy Linn

• SoSH Member

• 5990 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:40 PM

I love seeing guys smoke during tournaments. Love it.

#38 Average Reds

• SoSH Member

• 9946 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:40 PM

Stanley has hit three epically bad tee shots on the last three holes, but he's somehow gotten away with it. We'll see how he finishes up 18.

Love to see him hold off Crane/Levin and win this.

#39 BigMike

• SoSH Member

• 18097 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:47 PM

Stanley has hit three epically bad tee shots on the last three holes, but he's somehow gotten away with it. We'll see how he finishes up 18.

Love to see him hold off Crane/Levin and win this.

That is something I don't like about this course in particular and pro courses in general. The punishment for a mediocre shot is often a lot harsher than for a miserable shot

#40 Freddy Linn

• SoSH Member

• 5990 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:51 PM

That is something I don't like about this course in particular and pro courses in general. The punishment for a mediocre shot is often a lot harsher than for a miserable shot

This is the absolute truth, and last week at Torrey is, or should have been, the example. Just blow it into the grandstand.

#41 Average Reds

• SoSH Member

• 9946 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:52 PM

Not pretty, but that probably seals it for Stanley.

#42 BigMike

• SoSH Member

• 18097 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 06:07 PM

Nice win Kyle.

#43 FL4WL3SS

• Mrs. Dennis Wideman

• 6007 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 12:45 PM

Going into the final round with a lead is really mentally challenging. I'd rather try and win from behind for my first win - these guys have proven that theory.

#44 BigMike

• SoSH Member

• 18097 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:19 PM

Going into the final round with a lead is really mentally challenging. I'd rather try and win from behind for my first win - these guys have proven that theory.

That is the one thing these kids should try to learn from the old Tiger.

The approach to going into the final round with a lead, should be to try and shoot the course record. Pick a number you want to hit and play for it. These guys get tentative and play to protect the lead rather than to score, and they fall apart.

#45 Freddy Linn

• SoSH Member

• 5990 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:35 PM

Tiger tied for the third-best score at Spyglass today, at -4. Pebble and Monterey are getting lit up. Ken Duke shot a 28 on the back at Pebble.

If anyone wants a warm thought for the winter, sources say Paula Creamer is an animal in the sack and needs some lovin' if she has a late tee time. I have not confirmed this.

#46 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 20545 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:55 PM

Tiger tied for the third-best score at Spyglass today, at -4. Pebble and Monterey are getting lit up. Ken Duke shot a 28 on the back at Pebble.

If anyone wants a warm thought for the winter, sources say Paula Creamer is an animal in the sack and needs some lovin' if she has a late tee time. I have not confirmed this.

Creamer's like the Maria Sharapova of her sport, huh? Easy on the eyes. Probably turn on the Crosby (they should have left that name on it) about now.

#47 Freddy Linn

• SoSH Member

• 5990 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:23 PM

It's always fun to see who is sandbagging. My favorite example:

Actor Andy Garcia helped pro partner Paul Stankowski by 32 shots to break the team record in the AT+T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am. Sporting an 18-handicap, Garcia broke 80 at both Pebble Beach and Poppy Hills. Former USGA handicap whiz Dean Knuth estimates the odds of Garcia's feat at 10,000 to 1.

#48 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 20545 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 04:39 PM

Finally a Belichick sighting at Pebble, with his hoodie on. Nice fairway iron shot to within 10 feet or so of the cup.

He made the putt and Bill and his partner made the cut and will be playing tomorrow.

Edited by Al Zarilla, 11 February 2012 - 04:49 PM.

#49 soxhop411

• SoSH Member

• 9360 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:55 PM

Finally a Belichick sighting at Pebble, with his hoodie on. Nice fairway iron shot to within 10 feet or so of the cup.

He made the putt and Bill and his partner made the cut and will be playing tomorrow.

im jealous of BB

#50 Freddy Linn

• SoSH Member

• 5990 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:19 PM

There are 155 teams, so being among the 25 teams to make the cut is a big deal. Jack Lemmon tried 33 times.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users