Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

some notes before sox fans panic

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
50 replies to this topic

#51 koufax37

• 2243 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:07 AM

We have a playoff level team, like last year, that has no guarantees of participating in the playoffs. The expectations to make it stronger seemed to have fizzled, and it seems unlikely for the time being that we are going to get any other significant addition at the moment.

However, the team has a lot of room to hope to be better than last year when we were one inning short of the playoffs. While there are places where we could have some drop offs, I think it seems more likely that we get more out of the rotation from Bard and Aceves than those spots last season, that we get more out of Buchholz than his spot last season, that we get more out of RF and LF than those spots last year. Also getting Youk healthier is likely to be a positive in his spot, although is replacements last year were not as inept as the bottom of the rotation and corner outfielders.

So not a very popular offseason with the delay on the manager decision, the lack of Theo compensation, and the lack of a splash. But the offseason's primary goal is to prepare a team that can compete for a World Series championship, not to make news. I think we have a team now that can compete for a World Series championship.

I certainly hope it gets better before the season, or in mid season, especially because I am not encouraged by the starting pitching depth either scrapheap or homegrown, but I think this team is ready to score runs and prevent runs at a level that will make for a fun spring and summer, and hopefully fun deep into the fall.