Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Jack Curry: Kuroda to Yankees

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
47 replies to this topic

#1 rembrat

• SoSH Member

• 22693 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:23 PM

Jack Curry

Big night for the Yankees. They have agreed to a 1-year deal with Kuroda, pending a physical. Deal will be between $10 and $11 million.

Kill me.

#2 rembrat

• SoSH Member

• 22693 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:24 PM

Alright, Cashman is a boss.

#3 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 16533 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:24 PM

OK, now I'm really confused. CC/Pineda/Nova/Kuroda/Garcia? AJ is clearly dumped, Hughes to AAA or the long guy?

#4 Shaky

• 97 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:25 PM

This has to mean another trade is coming.

Possibly for a bat? IcanhazPena?

Edited by Shaky, 13 January 2012 - 08:25 PM.

#5 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 16533 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:26 PM

Sherman says:

Joelsherman1 Joel Sherman

With Pineda and Kuroda, would now not be surprised if another shoe drops in which Yanks trade someone like Hughes for a bat let's stay tuned

#6 rembrat

• SoSH Member

• 22693 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:26 PM

OK, now I'm really confused. CC/Pineda/Nova/Kuroda/Garcia? AJ is clearly dumped, Hughes to AAA or the long guy?

Dude, I'm half expecting for Cashman to turn Hughes and other stuff into Billy Butler.

#7 Shaky

• 97 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:34 PM

Jon Heyman @JonHeymanCBS 1m so #yankees get pineda & kuroda. they arent done. calling around for a hitter. carlos pena/others in play now.

Do it, Cash.

#8 Tyrone Biggums

• nfl meets tri-annually at a secret country mansion in colorado,

• 3379 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:35 PM

The Sox cannot spend this off season and probably next off season as well...great moves by Cashman. I think this sets up Pena to the Yankees.

I would rather spend next off season when Cain becomes a FA...probably one of the best young pitchers to hit the market in quite sometime. This isn't going to silence the suicidal fans that believe Boston will finish behind Tampa and Toronto either.

Edited by Tyrone Biggums, 13 January 2012 - 08:36 PM.

#9 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 15757 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:35 PM

Rotation: CC/Pineda/Kuroda/Nova/Burnett
BP: Rivera/Robertson/Hughes/Soriano/Logan/filler

They can get rid of Garcia easier than they can Burnett. Garcia only has $4 million committed while Burnett has $16.5 million the next 2 years. Hughes will be in the bullpen if he's still on the team. This rotation is sickening if you're a Red Sox fan.

#10 Section15Box113

• 3434 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:36 PM

Wow. The second shoe to drop floored me.

All of a sudden, that's a pretty good rotation. Great night for the Yankees.

Edit: Friday the 13th indeed.

Edited by Section15Box113, 13 January 2012 - 08:37 PM.

#11 Shaky

• 97 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:38 PM

They can get rid of Garcia easier than they can Burnett. Garcia only has $4 million committed while Burnett has $16.5 million the next 2 years. Hughes will be in the bullpen if he's still on the team. This rotation is sickening if you're a Red Sox fan.

I don't think they can trade Garcia until June.

#12 AMS25

• 931 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:39 PM

Certainly looks intimidating on paper. I actually hopes that this makes the Yankees the favorites. I'd much rather have them striving to live up to expectations.

#13 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 16533 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:43 PM

The 5th/6th starter situation is tricky. If they give Hughes Noesi's role from last year, it kind of takes him out of the potential rotation mix. And if they dump Burnett or Garcia in conjunction with that, it leaves the sixth starter spot to one of the kids (Phelps/Warren/Banuelos/Betances).

Anyway, clearly more dominoes to fall still, exciting!

#14 4-6-3

• 1663 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:45 PM

The Sox cannot spend this off season and probably next off season as well...great moves by Cashman. I think this sets up Pena to the Yankees.

I would rather spend next off season when Cain becomes a FA...probably one of the best young pitchers to hit the market in quite sometime. This isn't going to silence the suicidal fans that believe Boston will finish behind Tampa and Toronto either.

You don't have to be suicidal to realize the Sox rotation as is or with the Padillas, Silvas, Cooks at the back end won't compete with the Yanks, Angels and Rangers. Unfortunately, great moves by Cashman and I think they will make a couple more great moves before Spring Training hits.

#15 StuckOnYouk

• 1938 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:46 PM

See what happens when Cashman tells the world that Noesi will be the next Cy Young? Some fool actually believes it!

#16 Rasputin

• Will outlive SeanBerry

• 25874 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:47 PM

Well, shit, that kinda sucks donkey balls.

#17 StuckOnYouk

• 1938 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:47 PM

That's kind of the sickening part to me. We're spending what 30 mil less than the Yanks but we're the team that's acting hamstrung as SP's are going off the board and we're begging Padilla to give us a look.

#18 Brianish

• 4273 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:48 PM

I've been pretty even-tempered this off-season, but seriously. Fuck all things. Pineda for Montero AND Kuroda in one night? I need something to punch.

#19 rembrat

• SoSH Member

• 22693 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:54 PM

Buster tweets:

Kuroda signing is an extra expenditure approved by the Steinbrenners; they will not have to move salary (i.e. Swisher) to fit in his deal.

https://twitter.com/#!/Buster_ESPN/status/158001223444860928
link to tweet

#20 Shaky

• 97 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:55 PM

I wonder if Ortiz is slapping his agent for accepting arbitration right now.

#21 Rudy Pemberton

• Just a string of characters

• 27895 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:56 PM

Buster tweets:

https://twitter.com/...001223444860928

that seems like a direct shot aimed the red sox direction, whose ownership is refusing to budge on payroll. ugly.

#22 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 16533 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:59 PM

I wonder if Ortiz is slapping his agent for accepting arbitration right now.

This actually was almost my first thought, not that exactly, but oh man, I wish Ortiz was still out there...

#23 Riles335

• Defiantly Definite

• 506 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:00 PM

What are peoples thoughts about Pineda? He has a great K/BB ratio but his home run totals were pretty high. He was also a completely different pitcher away from Safeco.

#24 Saby

• PipPip
  • 1247 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:00 PM

Bet that 2nd WC isn't looking so bad now.

#25 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 16533 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:01 PM

What are peoples thoughts about Pineda? He has a great K/BB ratio but his home run totals were pretty high. He was also a completely different pitcher away from Safeco.

Wrong thread, I started one to discuss just this.

#26 carver

• 1675 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:02 PM

This actually was almost my first thought, not that exactly, but oh man, I wish Ortiz was still out there...

Oh man, the Yankees can't get every player on Earth.

What a damn shame.

#27 carver

• 1675 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:04 PM

The Sox cannot spend this off season and probably next off season as well

Who did not realize this as soon as the Sox signed Crawford?

#28 curly2

• 2676 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:16 PM

I actually hopes that this makes the Yankees the favorites.

This makes the Yankees "Secretariat in the 1973 Belmont" favorites.

#29 RIrooter09

• 1616 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:28 PM

Buster tweets:

https://twitter.com/...001223444860928

Yankees can afford to go out and sign a player they want....shocker.

#30 Plympton91

• loves a good bowl haircut

• 5978 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:32 PM

Rotation: Lester / Buchholz / Beckett / Bard / Matsuzaka
BP: Bailey / Meloncon / Jenks / Aceves / Albers / Doubront / Miller

Let's get it on.

#31 soxhop411

• SoSH Member

• 9421 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:33 PM

Let's get it on.

both are rotations are = good, and we will be fine if we get a #5

#32 Plympton91

• 5978 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:36 PM

Bet that 2nd WC isn't looking so bad now.

I still hate it. Any second wild card that wins the championship round of the postseason tournament (I refuse to ever again call it the world series) deserves an asterisk.

#33 Plympton91

• 5978 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:42 PM

This makes the Yankees "Secretariat in the 1973 Belmont" favorites.

Oh stop. This is baseball. They're a little better than the Red Sox on paper now; they're also older and just traded a top 5 prospect in the game plus another good young arm for not-Felix.

Edited by Plympton91, 13 January 2012 - 09:44 PM.

#34 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 16533 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:49 PM

Oh stop. This is baseball. They're a little better than the Red Sox on paper now; they're also older and just traded a top 5 prospect in the game plus another good young arm for not-Felix.

Exactly, it's like people don't remember where we were 12 months ago, or how St. Louis was written off when Wainwright went down.

#35 AMS25

• 931 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:50 PM

You're probably right. But, I am very comfortable with all the Cashman-worship and newfound respect for the Yankee rotation. I enjoy rooting for the underdog, even if that's largely perception.

#36 4-6-3

• 1663 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:51 PM

Keep the faith - the Sox are making a move tonight - Ryan Sweeney agreed to a contract.

#37 curly2

• 2676 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:26 PM

Yes, Kuroda is an older pitcher. But Pineda will turn 23 next week. Guys with that kind of stuff at that age with five years of control don't grow on trees, and the Yankees got one for a guy with a lot of potential as a hitter but who is widely thought of as a DH. And at age 36 with injuries taking more of a toll on him each season, A-Rod is likely to be primarily a DH sooner rather than later in the remaining six years of his contract.

#38 SoxinSeattle

• 559 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:30 PM

I still hate it. Any second wild card that wins the championship round of the postseason tournament (I refuse to ever again call it the world series) deserves an asterisk.

Bah. I was dead against Wild Card the first time but as a Sox fan i'm more than okay with it now. I do think it takes a bit away from the purity of the game but with our team in the AL East I'll take another chance to get in.

#39 Rough Carrigan

• reasons within Reason

• 16513 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:33 PM

You don't have to be suicidal to realize the Sox rotation as is or with the Padillas, Silvas, Cooks at the back end won't compete with the Yanks, Angels and Rangers. Unfortunately, great moves by Cashman and I think they will make a couple more great moves before Spring Training hits.

Oh come on. The rangers' rotation? Really? Colby Lewis, Matt Harrison, converted Reliever Neftali Feliz (direct comp to Daniel Bard) , Derek Holland, Scott Feldman and maybe Yu Darvish. Is that really sooooooo awesome?

#40 Mike in CT

• 2125 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:39 PM

Bah. I was dead against Wild Card the first time but as a Sox fan i'm more than okay with it now. I do think it takes a bit away from the purity of the game but with our team in the AL East I'll take another chance to get in.

You'd better hope the league approves more playoff spots, or the Red Sox won't be getting in that often going forward, imo.

The Yankees will spend whatever is necessary to win the division 9 out of 10 years, and Tampa, Toronto, Anaheim, Rangers all have the front offices to gang up on Boston for that one spot.

#41 Stu Nahan

• 3708 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 12:47 AM

Let's get it on.

Dice is out for most of not of all of this upcoming season, correct? Shouldn't Aceves be the five to start the year?

#42 soxhop411

• SoSH Member

• 9421 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 12:54 AM

Dice is out for most of not of all of this upcoming season, correct? Shouldn't Aceves be the five to start the year?

nope dice-k should be back by end of may

#43 Stu Nahan

• 3708 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:07 AM

Stand corrected and that's why I asked.

#44 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 16533 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:10 AM

Please cite something if you're going to make a statement like this, even this very optimistic take says June:

http://sports.yahoo....ug=ycn-10818889

#45 soxhop411

• SoSH Member

• 9421 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:11 AM

Please cite something if you're going to make a statement like this, even this very optimistic take says June:

http://sports.yahoo....ug=ycn-10818889

DaigoFuji Daigo Fujiwara
Nikkan Sports is reporting Daisuke Matsuzaka is recovering much quicker. Will pitch in bullpen by end of month. #RedSox j.mp/xdYgin

http://www.nikkanspo...108-886520.html

http://sonsofsamhorn...john-timelines/

my bad, but he "could" be back by end of may/start of june

Edited by soxhop411, 14 January 2012 - 01:14 AM.

#46 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 16533 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:23 AM

Not sure why it didn't occur to me before, but Russell Martin caught Kuroda for three of his four seasons in LA, that's got to help with any transition issues.

#47 terrynever

• SoSH Member

• 5719 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:28 AM

Stopped in at the PawSox winter media luncheon today. Ben Crockett is Boston's Player Development Director now, replacing Mike Hazen, who is Ben Cherington's No. 2 guy now. Theo is gone and it seems like everyone is laying the blame for last season on him. Seems like a green and inexperienced management team going forward.

The Bedard trade really stripped the farm system. Boston has no chips to use in trades.

#48 Sprowl

• mikey lowell of the sandbox

• 20238 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:58 AM

The Bedard trade really stripped the farm system. Boston has no chips to use in trades.

That's ridiculous. It's already a pitiful offseason for the Red Sox, but you're going way over the top. Boston had a logjam of prospects without enough space on the 40-man roster to fit them all. That's why both Epstein (the Bedard trade for Chiang, Fife and FedX, three prospects with no prospects of playing for the team) and Cherington (the Bailey/Sweeney trade for Reddick, Head and Alcantara; the Melançon trade for Lowrie and Weiland) have been trading quantity for quality -- Boston had too many chips, and still does even though the real talent is in the lower minors.