Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

2012 MLS: Very Sporting

• Please log in to reply
194 replies to this topic

#151 Titans Bastard

• has sunil gulati in his sights

• 3,027 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:12 PM

Seattle isn't going to win at Rio Tinto. They're done. Such a shame. (sarcasm)

Rimando was standing on his head last night. Great match.

Well, going out in the Conference Semifinals would be consistent with.....every year in their entire history in MLS.

In non-playoff news, Montreal announced that Jesse Marsch is stepping down due to philosophical differences with the ownership. I'm not sure exactly what that means. I thought Marsch did a good job with a not-especially-talented team. The roster construction itself is more of a headscratcher. Their team is a bunch of decent MLS players, journeymen, and over-the-hill imports. I'm not quite sure what the plan is. They're even screwing up the #1 overall pick, Andrew Wenger, by playing him as a forward instead of in the center of defense. They have three 36 year old Italians....and while that's young by Serie A standards, it's no way to build a core.

Joey Saputo has a reputation as a headcase and I don't have a lot of faith that he'll make wise long-term decisions with the franchise.

#152 Billy R Ford

• douchebag q momfingerer

• 731 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:28 PM

DC United - New York Red Bulls just ended 1-1. Ugh- two own goals and a red card for Andy Najar, for throwing the ball at the ref when he was called for a foul. Not the best showcase for the league.

It's too bad, because Najar had been playing well up until then. It's interesting they've made him an attacking wing-back- he was great as a winger, but he seemed happy to motor forward into attack even from deep.

#153 Turrable

• 2,227 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 09:47 AM

Two incredibly stupid plays by Najar and Hamid cost D.C. a lead but their play down a man gives me optimism for the second leg. They look the better team, and their OG did come off a fabulous ball in.

Oh and Pontius had about the worst PK I've seen since Sergio Ramos in the CL.

#154 Titans Bastard

• 3,027 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:25 PM

Oh and Pontius had about the worst PK I've seen since Sergio Ramos in the CL.

Being terrible at PKs is another way that Pontius takes after Clint Dempsey.

#155 JayMags71

• SoSH Member

• 5,602 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:32 PM

Clearly the both of you missed Charlie Adam in the Carling Cup.

#156 Titans Bastard

• 3,027 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:10 PM

Orange ball sighting in the NY-DC game. Kickoff has been pushed back to 8:30 in order to clear the snow, although it's still dumping.

Somehow, there are 700 D.C. fans who made the trip. Not sure NY fans will number much more than that given the current weather and Sandy.

This one could be epic.

#157 DLew On Roids

• guilty of being sex

• 12,170 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:39 PM

I can't see them playing. Too bad--I was hoping for orange balls.

#158 SoxFanInPdx

• 1,739 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:21 PM

Pussies

#159 Turrable

• 2,227 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:38 PM

Fittingly ugly game so far. Just hoping it doesn't go to penalties.

#160 Turrable

• 2,227 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:18 PM

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit Hamid sent off. Looked offside but it was close.

#161 Turrable

• 2,227 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:21 PM

ENCROACHMENT HAHAHAHAHA

#162 Turrable

• 2,227 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:21 PM

HOLY FUCKING SHIT WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

edit AND NOW IT'S 10 V 10

Edited by Turrable, 08 November 2012 - 09:24 PM.

#163 Turrable

• 2,227 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:37 PM

DELEON!!!

#164 BigPapiLumber Co.

• 629 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:45 PM

That was a fantastic, ridiculous game! UNITED!

#165 DLew On Roids

• guilty of being sex

• 12,170 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:23 PM

That Marquez foul was one of the stupidest fucking things I've seen on a football pitch this year. You're on a yellow and you take out Pontius after the ball has gone. I can only guess he thought it was so late that the ref wouldn't even be watching them any more.

The drive for five continues.

#166 ThePrideofShiner

• 2,787 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:32 AM

Sounders escaped thanks to a beautiful goal by Mario Martinez, his first with Seattle. Sets up a fantastic matchup with Los Angeles. I'd really like to go to the match in Seattle, but I'm guessing tickets won't be cheap.

The RSL goalie was amazing again, just got beat on a great shot.

#167 SoxFanInPdx

• 1,739 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:59 PM

Pains me to have to root for LA a second time this playoffs. I loathe both them and Seattle. LA is the lesser of the two evils. Rooting for DC to take it all.

#168 Titans Bastard

• 3,027 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:15 PM

That Marquez foul was one of the stupidest fucking things I've seen on a football pitch this year. You're on a yellow and you take out Pontius after the ball has gone. I can only guess he thought it was so late that the ref wouldn't even be watching them any more.

The drive for five continues.

Not coincidentally, Marquez is one of the stupidest fucking people I've ever seen in any year. He is and always has been an execrable piece of crap and I hope NY gets rid of him for the sake of the league.

Anyway, Houston vs. DC is on tap. I unfortunately missed the crazy rescheduled NY-DC second leg and I'm determined not to miss anything else from here on out. Hamid is suspended, but Joe Willis is a quality backup and Hamid's decision-making still has a long way to go anyway. Not the worst loss right now, to be honest. More problematic for DC is that Andy Najar is suspended for this entire series thanks to his ball-throwing incident. Robbie Russell will step in at RB -- he's an experienced vet, but he's old and his legs are going. He doesn't bring nearly as much to the table as Najar. DeRo is still injured and might be able to return for the second leg, but he's not in the 18 now.

Houston is missing Rico Clark and Jermaine Taylor due to injury, but they have capable replacements for both in Luiz Camargo and Andre Hainault. Their issue is more one of fatigue because they had to play the extra play-in game. The Dynamo don't excite me, but Dominic Kinnear's teams usually punch above their weight in the playoffs.

As a general NT fan, I'm looking for good performances from some of fringe players and/or prospects like Pontius, DeLeon, Kitchen, Hall, and Bruin.

#169 Titans Bastard

• 3,027 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:51 PM

Pontius out early with injury, which is very bad news for DC. Without him and DeRosario, that's tough for DC.

But DC scores! DeLeon again! He cleaned up a rebound after Pajoy got the ball in space and nailed the far post.

#170 Turrable

• 2,227 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:34 PM

Still can't believe that scissor kick at the end of the half wasn't a foul, let alone a straight red. Hopefully it won't matter...

#171 Turrable

• 2,227 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:37 PM

...and fuck. Gee, look what can happen when the refs call free kicks.

#172 Turrable

• 2,227 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:52 PM

Welp.

#173 Titans Bastard

• 3,027 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:33 PM

Welp.

I haven't seen a team have to use all three substitutions for injury in a while. D.C. was really hurting and by the end of the game, they were clearly out of gas. It's not impossible to turn this series around in RFK, but it's going to be difficult -- especially if the walking wounded don't return to health. As I've said before, Dominic Kinnear's teams just have a way of stepping up in the playoffs. They aren't spectacular, but they're very tough to play against. That being said, Brad Davis is turning into one of those Steve Ralston-esque great MLS players who just never made the grade at the NT level. Oscar Boniek Garcia has been a fantastic pickup. Will Bruin looks like he's going to be a quality MLS guy for years to come, at the very least -- 18 goals in all competitions so far in 2012.

#174 Titans Bastard

• 3,027 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:45 PM

LA vs. Seattle up next. Despite making the playoffs every year since their inception in 2009, this is the first time that the Sounders have ever actually advanced. They're a good team, but LA has been the best team in the league in the second half of the season. They are #4 seed, but that reflects their craptastic start to the season.

Seattle:

-------------------Tiffert----Montero-----------------
----Caskey---Alonso----Evans-----Martinez-----
----Scott-----Hurtado-----Parke----Johansson---
----------------------Gspurning-----------------------

Bench: Hahnemann, Carrasco, Rose, Zakuani, Estrada, Ochoa, Johnson

Mauro Rosales is out injured, which is a big loss. Also, starting LB Marc Burch is suspended and backup LB Leo Gonzalez is hurt; Zach Scott is not really a fullback I'd want starting a key playoff matchup. Eddie Johnson is on the bench, I'm not sure why.

LA:

-------------------Keane----Donovan--------------------
----Magee-----Juninho---Beckham---Wilhelmsson--
----Dunivant----Meyer----Gonzalez---Franklin-------
-----------------------Saunders---------------------------

Bench: Perk, Boyens, Gaul, Stephens, Sarvas, Villarreal, McBean

A fairly standard LA lineup. Edson Buddle is injured, I think, so Wilhelmsson comes in on the right and LD moves up top.

#175 Billy R Ford

• 731 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:58 PM

Great goal by Keane.

#176 ThePrideofShiner

• 2,787 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:47 PM

Pains me to have to root for LA a second time this playoffs. I loathe both them and Seattle. LA is the lesser of the two evils. Rooting for DC to take it all.

Seattle has played so poorly tonight, you won't have to even root for LA next week since the Sounders are surely done.

#177 Turrable

• 2,227 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:57 PM

Hamid back in net, Najar still suspended. Pontius is questionable but De Rosario probable. Houston doesn't travel well. Time to show some stones.

#178 Titans Bastard

• 3,027 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:30 PM

Hamid back in net, Najar still suspended. Pontius is questionable but De Rosario probable. Houston doesn't travel well. Time to show some stones.

D.C. --

------------------------Pajoy----------------------------
--------DeLeon-------Boskovic------Santos--------
-----------------Kitchen----Saragosa-----------------
-----Korb-----Jakovic--------Dudar------Russell----
---------------------------Hamid-------------------------

Dudar in for the injured McDonald. Russell in the suspended Najar. Santos in for the injured Pontius.

Hamid returns from injury, Saragosa was healthy enough to start, and DeRosario made the bench.

Houston --

-------------------Bruin----Kandji--------------------
----Davis-------Clark-----Moffat-------Garcia------
----Ashe------Taylor-------Boswell----Sarkodie---
----------------------------Hall---------------------------

Taylor and Clark back from injury for Houston.

#179 Titans Bastard

• 3,027 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:57 PM

And Houston scores against the run of play. D.C. is pretty much cooked now.

#180 Turrable

• 2,227 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:58 PM

Yep, gonna take a miracle now.

#181 Titans Bastard

• 3,027 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:28 PM

Yep, gonna take a miracle now.

D.C. just doesn't have the depth to deal with the loss of DeRosario and Pontius.

#182 SoxFanInPdx

• 1,739 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:57 PM

Gotta wonder if Bruin gets a call up to the USMNT. Barring a miracle today, Houston and LA should be a good final.

#183 DLew On Roids

• guilty of being sex

• 12,170 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:37 PM

Well, shit.

At least United put on a good run after Labor Day and they have a good mix of talent coming back. Heck, if Pontius stays and Najar and Hamid develop, they look as good a bet as anyone to reach the finals next year.

#184 Titans Bastard

• 3,027 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:05 PM

Well, shit.

At least United put on a good run after Labor Day and they have a good mix of talent coming back. Heck, if Pontius stays and Najar and Hamid develop, they look as good a bet as anyone to reach the finals next year.

I like DeLeon and Kitchen, too. They're already pretty good and will only get better and more consistent. DC needs to find a real quality forward instead of relying on a trio of mediocrities in Pajoy, Santos, and Salihi.

#185 Titans Bastard

• 3,027 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:14 PM

It's pouring in Seattle.

Sounders:

------------------Montero-----Johnson--------------------
-----Zakuani-----Tiffert----Alonso------Evans----------
-----Scott--------Parke-----Hurtado------Johansson---
-------------------------Gspurning--------------------------

Bench: Hahnemann, Gonzalez, Rose, Caskey, Martinez, Estrada, Ochoa

It's going to be awfully tough to create three goals without Mauro Rosales.

Galaxy:

----------------------Buddle----Keane--------------------
----Magee------Beckham---Sarvas---Wilhelmsson--
-----Dunivant-----Meyer----Gonzalez----Franklin----
-------------------------Saunders--------------------------

Bench: Perk, Boyens, Gaul, Juninho, Stephens, Villarreal, Noonan

No Donovan and Juninho is only healthy enough to make the bench.

#186 ThePrideofShiner

• 2,787 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:43 PM

Sounders got one back thanks to Eddie Johnson. Another one before halftime would be spectacular.

Edit: Well, a shoddy offsides call changed the game early, but Seattle can't really blame the refs considering how shitty they played in L.A.

Edited by ThePrideofShiner, 18 November 2012 - 11:29 PM.

#187 Titans Bastard

• 3,027 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:06 PM

The Revs have already made two signings since their season ended, which is kind of surprising. The first was an old face: Andy Dorman. He's a Welshman who went to BU and was a solid contributor back when the Revs were good in the mid-2000s. He left for St. Mirren on a free and did well in the SPL. That led to a transfer to Crystal Palace, where he tanked. He made headlines for going on loan to Bristol Rovers thinking they were in League One, only to discover upon arrival that they were in League Two. He's 30 now, he's been out of form for a couple years, and the league has moved on without him. He'll hopefully be decent depth and not asked to play a major role.

The second signing is Kalifa Cisse, a 28 year old DM/CB who last played for Bristol City. He's played a handful of times for Mali. Cisse is the right age and can fill a position of need for the Revs, but the lower league English league guys can be really hit or miss in MLS. Still, he's not an obviously awful signing and that's a step in the right direction.

#188 Titans Bastard

• 3,027 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:10 PM

Winter transfers overseas have already begun.

It looks like KC's Roger Espinoza has signed with Wigan Athletic. He's a good story -- a Honduran kid who moved to the US when he was 12, spent two years in JuCo ball with national power Yavapai CC, transferred to Ohio State and led the team to the national championship game, became a first round draft pick, developed into a very influential player for one of the best teams in the league, and was a key cog of the Honduran Olympic team that beat Spain and gave Brazil a run for their money.

I hope he does well in England.

#189 Titans Bastard

• 3,027 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:43 PM

Notes from Garber's State of The League Address

*New England stadium: “The Kraft family continues to be focused on trying to find a soccer stadium solution downtown. … We are looking for public support up in that area because of the cost of developing a project there. They were here in the [MLS] office two weeks ago giving us an update, and it’s fair to say that though there is nothing new to report, the family is focused on it.”

If that's the best spin that Garber can come up with, it's not pretty. If Kraft expects a city in the urban core to cough up big stadium money for the Revolution, nothing is ever going to happen. I think the Revs best bet of getting a new stadium is when they are moved to St. Louis in ten years after expansion is done and relocation becomes a factor.

Edited by Titans Bastard, 26 November 2012 - 10:43 PM.

#190 Titans Bastard

• 3,027 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:12 AM

MLS Cup this afternoon, gents.

#191 Billy R Ford

• 731 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:26 PM

Line-ups are as expected.

Houston:

Carr-Bruin
Davis-Clark-Moffat-Garcia
Taylor-Bosell-Ashe-Sarkodie
Hall

Galaxy:

Keane-Donovan
Magee-Juninho-Beckham-Wilhelmsson
Dunivant-Meyer-Gonzalez-Franklin
Saunders

#192 SoxFanInCali

• has the rich, deep voice of a god and the penis of a scouse

• 6,398 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:11 PM

Not going to get much better chances than that, Landon.

#193 biollante

• SoSH Member

• 7,843 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:02 AM

So L.A. wins. What is this story about Donovan maybe retiring ?

#194 Youkilis vs Wild

• 317 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:16 AM

Just wanted to say, that was an enjoyable game and a really great outcome for the league. Here's to continued growth.

#195 Titans Bastard

• 3,027 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:05 PM

Congrats to LA, who were the deserved winners. Some people will lament that one of the play-in teams won MLS Cup, but LA was arguably the best team in the league once they broke out of their early-season funk. The return of Omar Gonzalez from injury and the return to form of several other players (Juninho, for one) transformed the Galaxy back into a really strong side. Robbie Keane was essentially in beast mode after the Euros.

Another feather in the cap of Bruce Arena's long and storied career. A hat-tip goes to him for building surprisingly good depth for a multiple-DP team. Their B-team (almost entirely drafted Americans and homegrowns from the academy) went undefeated throughout the CONCACAF Champions League group stage; history hasn't usually been kind to MLS B-teams in international play.

They're going to have to do a lot of work this offseason. Beckham is gone, Donovan may be gone at least for a while. Gonzalez could leave. LA's GM is publicly talking about Kaka now, although it would be unusual for an MLS club to pay a sizable transfer fee to a Euro club. We'll see.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users