Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

2012 MLS: Very Sporting

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
194 replies to this topic

#51 Titans Bastard

• has sunil gulati in his sights

• 3,103 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:32 PM

Nguyen has really been a godsend. Every time he gets the ball on his feet he energizes the team. He's got an engine, creativity, and moves. The Portland game he put on a dribbling display, faked out two defenders, and brought the crowd to its feet. Even in their first two losses, he was easily the best player on the pitch. I have no idea why Vancouver cut him. but seeing as I'd never heard of him before he came to the Revs, maybe his improved play is a recent development?

Nguyen has been surprisingly good. He was one of those failed youth golden boys who had been off the radar for a while. He signed with PSV after his freshman year at Indiana and went on to make one or two appearances for the club. He was a Guus Hiddink signing and when Guus left to manage Russia, the replacement wasn't much of a fan, so Nguyen eventually left PSV. He spent an unremarkable year in Denmark and then bizarrely chose to sign in Vietnam, where he was a big star and huge celebrity.

I guess he decided to take his career seriously again. He's not going to be a USMNT star, but he can clearly hang in this league.

#52 Billy R Ford

• douchebag q momfingerer

• 753 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:06 AM

Good read on MLS's disciplinary committee and how it differs from the way other leagues approach conduct:

http://aol.sportingn...g-vicious-tackl

[MLS]has fined and suspended five players for a “reckless challenge” or “violent conduct” that “endanger(ed) the safety of an opponent” and fined two more for embellishing contact (diving) in an attempt to snooker the referee. Each incident was seen by match officials, and several of those players involved were punished with yellow cards.

But MLS’ iconoclasts are just fine with “re-refereeing” games. The message is clear: Motivated by the same instinct that led the NFL to increase protection of quarterbacks, MLS is going above and beyond to shield its most talented and marketable players from harm.

#53 Billy R Ford

• douchebag q momfingerer

• 753 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:16 PM

It was hard to say, going into today, where the Revs stood in MLS. An opening day loss to San Jose looked bad, since the Earthquakes were terrible last year and the Revs played poor against them. A win a few weeks later against LA Galaxy looked great, because the Galaxy were considered the best team in MLS history by some over the winter, and the Revs played well. The results seemed incongruous.

But the Quakes are in second place right now in the Western Conference, and the Galaxy are in last. Maybe those results weren't so odd after all.

DC United would be a good test. To show where they really stood. A similar team: once great, now struggling, on and off the field. Deeper than in recent years. Still not enough talent at the top though.

Unfortunately, a loss for the Revs means there is still work to be done. But I am still much more optimistic than at the start of the season. Feilhaber is still recovering, and will be the team's best player. Shalrie, despite what I wrote after the San Jose game, has looked better. Nguyen is a godsend. Rowe is quality.

And Jaime Moreno. After a long transfer saga, the guy who doesn't want to be here scores a goal. Of course.

I'm holding out hope for a playoff push.

And since this is the MLS general thread, I can also say here that the RSL-SKC match tonight was great soccer.

For the USMNT fans, IMO Sapong >>>>> Bunbury right now.

#54 Titans Bastard

• 3,103 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:42 PM

The transfer window closed yesterday. There was a small flurry of moves just before the end, most of which were loans. Three more Colombians, unsurprisingly.

MLS imports by country of the player's previous club:

13 - Colombia
6 - Germany
5 - Sweden
4 - Ecuador
4 - Mexico
3 - Chile
3 - Costa Rica
3 - Denmark
3 - Italy
3 - Uruguay
2 - England
2 - Japan
2 - Norway
2 - Switzerland

2 - Turkey
1 - Argentina
1 - Austria
1 - Azerbaijan
1 - Belgium
1 - China
1 - Finland
1 - Greece
1 - Montenegro
1 - Panama
1 - Peru
1 - Saudi Arabia
1 - Scotland
1 - Spain
1 - Trinidad & Tobago
1 - Vietnam

#55 Titans Bastard

• 3,103 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:44 AM

KC is 7-0-0 now.

Teams have good runs and bad runs, especially in a league with more parity than most like MLS, but average teams simply don't win seven games in a row. KC is looking like quality this year. Sapong, Kamara, Convey, and Zusi is a pretty good attacking quartet and their defense has been outstanding so far (two goals conceded).

There's a long way to go, but an 11 point lead in the Eastern Conference is pretty impressive at this point in the season.

#56 Titans Bastard

• 3,103 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:25 AM

NY rookie starting GK and Yonkers native Ryan Meara has just accepted a call up to Ireland's U21 team.

Meara has been pretty good for a rookie. NY has given up a lot of goals, but most of them have been fault of their craptastic defense.

Meara is part of a group of promising young MLS keepers who have already gotten a decent amount of playing time under their belts, along with Bill Hamid, Sean Johnson, and Zac MacMath. All have a long way to go before national team consideration, as evidenced by the U23 qualifiers when Hamid and Johnson threw up all over themselves. But still, when you take their body of work as a whole, it's not a bad group of long-term prospects.

It is interesting how to see how quickly Ireland pounced on Meara. He's only been a pro for two months. A brief glance at their U21 team reveals that their starting GK is a backup in League One, so perhaps that's why they were so quick to look at Meara.

Meara isn't a critical prospect because we have other young GKs and he won't necessarily be better than them, although he could. Still, I don't like losing a decent prospect like him. Of course, a US soccer fan like myself can hardly complain about this sort of thing after Jermaine Jones, Timothy Chandler, Daniel Williams, Fabian Johnson, Mix Diskerud, and so forth. And Meara isn't gone for good until he plays an official match for Ireland's senior team.

Edited by Titans Bastard, 01 May 2012 - 09:26 AM.

#57 Titans Bastard

• 3,103 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:51 PM

#58 SoxFanInPdx

• 1,774 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:14 PM

Hell of a field goal in that NFL Stadium.

Edited by SoxFanInPdx, 04 May 2012 - 06:14 PM.

#59 Titans Bastard

• 3,103 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:17 PM

New York just traded Juan Agudelo to Chivas USA for Heath Pearce and cash.

Good news for Agudelo, I think. He'll get more opportunities at Chivas than in New York.

#60 SoxFanInPdx

• 1,774 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:57 AM

New York just traded Juan Agudelo to Chivas USA for Heath Pearce and cash.

Good news for Agudelo, I think. He'll get more opportunities at Chivas than in New York.

Very impressive move by Chivas, I was stunned that NYB let him go, I like Agudelo a lot.

#61 CJChap

• 876 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:14 AM

I think this could very well blow up in Chivas' face, too. It seems that Agudelo would really like to go to Europe soon, so if he gets some burn and does well it could help them in the immediate term, but then I think he's gone for Europe. And it looks like a sizable portion of the sell on fee is going back to RBNY.

#62 Titans Bastard

• 3,103 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:28 AM

I think this could very well blow up in Chivas' face, too. It seems that Agudelo would really like to go to Europe soon, so if he gets some burn and does well it could help them in the immediate term, but then I think he's gone for Europe. And it looks like a sizable portion of the sell on fee is going back to RBNY.

I don't think it's a bad trade for NY. They are losing a player who wasn't contributing much to their team. Agudelo is good, but he got a moderate amount of playing time in 2011 and very little so far in 2012 due to injury. And they addressed a big need in defense. Heath Pearce is underrated, as players who are not quite good enough for the NT often are. Negative associations from bad NT performances stick in the mind and so they are criticized more than non-NT players who are a half-notch worse.

Picking up a lot of money and a percentage of a future Agudelo sale is also a nice sweetener.

#63 Infield Infidel

• teaching korea american

• 8,582 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:29 AM

Galaxy, Columbus Houston, Dallas, RSL, Chicago and NE all lost to lower division sides in the US Open cup third round
Chicago lost to the Michigan Bucks, a fourth tier Premier Development League squad. Is it just not worth it to play A squad players?

Seattle and Portland have games on Wednesday and will ideally not take the games lightly.

Edited by Infield Infidel, 30 May 2012 - 05:36 AM.

#64 Titans Bastard

• 3,103 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:30 AM

Galaxy, Columbus Houston, Dallas, RSL, Chicago and NE all lost to lower division sides in the US Open cup third round
Chicago lost to the Michigan Bucks, a fourth tier Premier Development League squad. Is it just not worth it to play A squad players?

Seattle and Portland have games on Wednesday and will ideally not take the games lightly.

I think some times just want to give their reserves, backups, and youngsters some minutes. MLS depth really shone through yesterday...

The Revs deserve a special mention. They went down a man against Harrisburg and after 90 minutes, the score was 0-0. The Revs then built a 3-0 -- 3-0 -- lead in extra time. The Revs then proceeded to blow this lead in the last nine minutes, conceding three goals, so the match went to PKs. Backup GK Bobby Shuttleworth managed to save Harrisburg's first attempt, but the Revs lost 4-3 on PKs anyway.

The Revs could be the most hilarious team in sports. The team either abjectly sucks or chokes in spectacular fashion. The team plays in exurban obscurity, neither deserving nor receiving attention or respect from the region's fans or media. Bob Kraft has risen to the inner circle of the Worst MLS Owners Of All Time. The team has a stupid name and the ugliest logo in the league. The stadium has a shitty atmosphere, a shitty field, shitty stadium security, all in a shitty location. At some point, it's just trainwreck entertainment.

#65 canderson

• SoSH Member

• 8,457 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:46 AM

I went to that Harrisburg-NE match (since the baseball game got rained out and I was already at the complex and bored). Having no more than 12 people watch a pro soccer team in America is an interesting experience. Watching them lose fairly epicly to a mucked up third-tier US team was a fitting end to the night.

#66 WoburnDiaspora

• 2,676 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:01 AM

Went to the Carolina Railhawks - Galaxy match. It was a fun atmosphere here in Raleigh but the Galaxy clearly didn't take the other side seriously at all and boy did the lower division team make them pay for it. FYI, the stadium was sold out. Just shy of 8,000 people were there to watch the match and the place was rocking.

#67 Titans Bastard

• 3,103 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:29 AM

Went to the Carolina Railhawks - Galaxy match. It was a fun atmosphere here in Raleigh but the Galaxy clearly didn't take the other side seriously at all and boy did the lower division team make them pay for it. FYI, the stadium was sold out. Just shy of 8,000 people were there to watch the match and the place was rocking.

Good for the lower division clubs, I say. Minor league soccer is a niche of a niche and the teams down there are in constant financial peril. The proceeds from a big game and the publicity that they generate have a lot more value to them than to anyone else. Now, just make sure an MLS team wins the damn Cup. There's a CONCACAF Champions League spot at stake.

#68 dirtynine

• 3,148 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:18 AM

I actually think it would be better for US soccer as a whole if a lower-division club got the spot. It's a better story, so there might be more publicity, and MLS sides might take it more seriously in the future. Plus I'm a sucker for any development that makes it seem like we in the States have something approaching an organic soccer "pyramid", and not just a cabal of rich dudes running a plastic, closed top division.

#69 Titans Bastard

• 3,103 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:50 AM

I actually think it would be better for US soccer as a whole if a lower-division club got the spot. It's a better story, so there might be more publicity, and MLS sides might take it more seriously in the future. Plus I'm a sucker for any development that makes it seem like we in the States have something approaching an organic soccer "pyramid", and not just a cabal of rich dudes running a plastic, closed top division.

The one downside is that it might bankrupt a lower division team. The travel costs would be brutal, even if they are subsidized by CONCACAF. The Richmond Kickers dropped from the second division to the third division at one point because….they made the playoffs. The extra travel of the playoffs was too much of a financial strain, so they had to move down to stay solvent (the third division was a de facto regional east coast league at the time).

Countries in Europe developed organic pyramids because there were more clubs willing and capable of playing in the top division than there were places in the division. In the US, this still hasn’t come to pass. The clubs in the NASL and USL are mostly a labor of love. They are shoestring operations that play in small, simple stadiums without much financial support. The vast majority of owners would not be able to survive financially if they had to step up to MLS. Those who do have money behind them have mostly joined the league already: Seattle, Vancouver, Portland, and Montreal. (And some of those ownership groups needed to add investors, such as Paul Allen.)

MLS will eventually face an interesting issue. The league could expand to the size of other American leagues and include 28-32 teams. The problem is that MLS is competing on a global scale and diluting talent that way has harsher consequences than it does in the NFL or in MLB, where there is no international competition whatsoever. I think MLS will be hard-pressed to go beyond 24 teams and even that is a very big number. What happens then? If the league is truly closed – no more expansion – there should be an increased investment in lower division clubs because there would no longer be any reason to hold out for a place in MLS. Even now, a second-division type city like San Antonio has a fairly ambitious D2 team that is drawing upwards of 8,000 people in its inaugural season and has stadium plans.

If an integrated pyramid ever comes to the US – and there are plenty of good reasons to think it never will – it will follow the J.League model. This would mean that MLS eventually would form a second division under the MLS umbrella, populated with a few expansion teams and hand-picked successful minor league teams that meet stadium and financial requirements.

It’s a real stretch, though. MLS’s current ownership has sunk a lot of money into the league and into their clubs and they’ll hardly be interested in a system that could see their investment slide into second division status. That being said, a lot can happen in 20-30 years. If we get to the point where second division soccer has a somewhat significant following, it means that soccer will have grown extensively in this country and profits for all will have risen. Furthermore, there will always be a desire for a national footprint, something that it is difficult to achieve with three teams in Canada and several markets with multiple teams (LA and possibly NYC). If the league stops at 22 teams with two in New York, that would only be 17 US markets. I also think that there will always be fan support for such a system, for whatever little that may be worth, especially if we are at a point where an integrated pyramid actually seems attainable.

If somehow it all worked out, I would hope that the powers that be manage the finances of the system very carefully. The European system is rotten right now and I’d hate to replicate the massive imbalance in revenue that is found between CL and non-CL clubs and between first and second division clubs. There will always be an imbalance, but I want a system where a well-managed club has more social mobility than simply dreaming of a mid-table finish.

#70 dirtynine

• 3,148 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:21 PM

On the way to the dentist so I'll try to be brief here. Great post and much along the lines of what I'm thinking. I do think there's a difference between a pyramid that relegates to another league - EPL to FL; or potentially MLS to NASL - and a designed, capped league with tiers like the JLeague. For one, owners face much less risk (though I think even the risk of uncapped relegation in the US is overstated - even MLS is really still a minor league here, and teams live or die by their stadia and fan bases). US Soccer should foot some of the travel bill for any CCL qualifier - and that goes for the days when we'll be invited into Sudamericana and Libertadores, too. Which will happen.

There will eventually be 40+ passionate soccer markets in the US. Like "10K a game" passionate. We won't have "real" pro rel. Probably something that splits the difference between the J-League and bi-cameral MLB. But the Open Cup is an indoctrination for US fans. Lots more to follow.

#71 Mr. Wednesday

• 807 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 02:38 PM

Spitballing a way to have a U.S.-style, more expansive league:
32 teams, all top division, split into two conferences
Each conference split into two divisions
Full home-and-home round robin against your conference (30 games)
Each division matches against a division in the other conference and plays that division a single time through, half home and half road (8 games)

Net is a 38-game schedule that is home-away balanced and competition-balanced within division (though not fully balanced). The negative to this scheme is that when you factor in playoffs, the Open Cup, and CCL, teams that advance a long way in all competitions will have fixture congestion problems. I'm not sure, though, that it would be worse than England, with the U.S. end-of-league playoffs standing in for the Carling Cup over there.

The biggest problem with the CCL is that the fixture congestion it induces requires larger squads to compete effectively, but supplying the resources for such squads ends up pointing toward the same problems as Europe where a caste system develops.

Pro-rel is a solution in search of a problem. It's not needed here and any rational fan of any club not named LA Galaxy (or maybe NYRB) wouldn't want it. It's another contributor to the European caste system.

The [Revolution] has a stupid name and the ugliest logo in the league.

Strongly disagree on both counts. (But my taste is probably questionable, as I actually kinda liked the original team kit too.)

Edited by Mr. Wednesday, 30 May 2012 - 02:39 PM.

#72 dirtynine

• 3,148 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:43 PM

Pro-rel is a solution in search of a problem.

Well, true in the sense that we don't have the problem of too many worthy teams for one top-flight league. Not yet, anyway.

But there's also the problem of boring, drifting, meaningless soccer being played throughout the MLS regular season. Terrible teams out of the playoffs have nothing to play for. Mediocre teams make the playoffs, and once there, are basically on equal footing with good teams, so have little desire to move up. The whole league is unbalanced - bad enough in baseball, but to me an extra sin in soccer - so it's not easy or predictable to give any particular fixture special importance (the way you can look forward to a meaningful six-pointer in the EPL).

I immensely enjoyed the final day of the Prem season a few weeks ago, and want something like that to one day be possible in MLS. The fact that there's an abject lack of lack of urgency throughout the MLS regular season is one of the "problems" pro/rel advocates are looking to fix.

#73 Mr. Wednesday

• 807 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:58 PM

I do agree that the relegation fight tends to make for some compelling drama, but it really just shifts the interesting matches from the middle of the table to the back of it. This EPL season was, I believe, a little unusual in the amount of unsettled positions near the top of the table, but on the final day, there were still only about eight teams that were actually playing for anything of significance (two for the last safety spot, ~six for European placement). I suspect that a similarly-sized MLS would have a significant number of teams in play on the final round of matches, either playing to make the playoffs or playing for seeding (which ought to be worth enough to fight for it). The difference is that the interesting matches involve teams in the middle of the table, rather than the back, and there's no "they're out of the league and just got their financials destroyed" drama when you're playing to make the playoffs.

Personally, I find the financial stratification that is partly enforced by the Champions League and partly by pro/rel to be a major drawback of the European leagues.

Edited by Mr. Wednesday, 30 May 2012 - 04:58 PM.

#74 Titans Bastard

• 3,103 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:09 PM

Spitballing a way to have a U.S.-style, more expansive league:
32 teams, all top division, split into two conferences
Each conference split into two divisions
Full home-and-home round robin against your conference (30 games)
Each division matches against a division in the other conference and plays that division a single time through, half home and half road (8 games)

Net is a 38-game schedule that is home-away balanced and competition-balanced within division (though not fully balanced). The negative to this scheme is that when you factor in playoffs, the Open Cup, and CCL, teams that advance a long way in all competitions will have fixture congestion problems. I'm not sure, though, that it would be worse than England, with the U.S. end-of-league playoffs standing in for the Carling Cup over there.

The biggest problem with the CCL is that the fixture congestion it induces requires larger squads to compete effectively, but supplying the resources for such squads ends up pointing toward the same problems as Europe where a caste system develops.

FWIW, CCL congestion has been reduced. The 2012-13 version will have no preliminary round. Instead, all 24 teams will be drawn into 8 groups of three and the group winners will move on to the quarterfinals. That reduces the summer/fall phase from 6(+2) games to 4 games for all. That's a significant reduction on congestion, but it throws out the home-and-away MLS vs. FMF matches that were in every CCL group, which was one of my favorite elements of the competition. So I'm lukewarm at best on this.

I think 32 teams in a top division is way, way too many. If the goal is to eventually develop MLS into a top league, it's a counterproductive move. Spreading out American talent to that extent will make MLS full of permanently mediocre clubs.

Pro-rel is a solution in search of a problem. It's not needed here and any rational fan of any club not named LA Galaxy (or maybe NYRB) wouldn't want it. It's another contributor to the European caste system.

I mostly agree. I'm talking about a hypothetical situation in 20 years. At some point, there's going to be pressure between the desire to keep a lid on the size of the league to ensure quality and the desire to expand to more markets to create a national footprint and capitalize on economic opportunities. Obviously, the league and the sport need to be an order of magnitude or two more popular for this to be considered, and while unlikely, I don't think it's as insane as some people say.

Strongly disagree on both counts. (But my taste is probably questionable, as I actually kinda liked the original team kit too.)

Part of what I hate about it all is the "Patriots, Jr." aspect to it all. I want the soccer team to have a unique and independent identity.

MLS initially tried to follow the gimmicky 1990s minor league baseball model of marketing. It was an abject failure. Fans want authenticity.

This logo:

Posted Image

blows.

The only thing that competes with the Revs for suckitude in the name & logo department is Chivas USA.

#75 dirtynine

• 3,148 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:22 PM

Shameless self-promo - I wrote a multi-part series about rebranding the Revs last year if anybody's interested. I think I might have pimped it here already. Executive summary: the current logo is both ugly and symptomatic of big FO problems. http://mwl.li/rev-reboot

I'm going to try to write about pro-rel soon; I may spitball some stuff with you guys here if that's cool. Most dedicated soccer boards are completely sick of the topic. Here's my intro to the topic; I haven't willed
Myself further yet. http://mwl.li/never-go-down

Edited by dirtynine, 30 May 2012 - 06:25 PM.

#76 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 8,367 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:50 AM

Rumors of Del Piero signing for Montreal.

#77 Titans Bastard

• 3,103 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:23 AM

Rumors of Del Piero signing for Montreal.

They seem to like their old Italians.

#78 DLew On Roids

• guilty of being sex

• 12,243 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:50 AM

There was a lot of talk on TV over the weekend about how the team that knocked the Timbers out of the Open Cup, Cal FC, is managed by Eric Wynalda. What I didn't hear mentioned on TV is the name of their league: La Gran Liga de Oxnard.

Edited by DLew On Roids, 04 June 2012 - 10:51 AM.

#79 Titans Bastard

• 3,103 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:38 PM

There was a lot of talk on TV over the weekend about how the team that knocked the Timbers out of the Open Cup, Cal FC, is managed by Eric Wynalda. What I didn't hear mentioned on TV is the name of their league: La Gran Liga de Oxnard.

And according to the league website, they are mid-table after five games. Nice!

Cal FC has recruited some good players, though. Mike Randolph spent three seasons with the Galaxy and also played for some minor league teams (such as...the Portland Timbers in 2006). Eder Arreola just wrapped up a solid career at UCLA and was on the U-20 national team. Danny Barrera was a college star at UCSB who left early to sign in Serbia, which apparently didn't work out (note to those who want to get paid: don't play in Eastern Europe). They have at least three or four other players with some pro experience. One of their college guys was on El Salvador's U23 team during Olympic qualifying. It's a great story, but Cal FC isn't exactly a plumber-and-mailman type team.

#80 canderson

• SoSH Member

• 8,457 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:54 PM

Harrisburg (a USL Pro team) just beat the New York Red Bulls in OT, 3-1. Regulation ended in a 1-1 tie. A lot of Red Bull fans were there, they left pretty pissed off.

#81 SoxFanInPdx

• 1,774 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:16 PM

Trade: Philly trades Danny Mwanga to the Portland Timbers for Jorge Perlaza. Both players needed a change of scenery imo. Love getting Mwanga, but the main issues has been service for the Timbers. So far, it's been a season of aimless crosses into the box and hoping to get lucky.

#82 Titans Bastard

• 3,103 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:09 PM

Peter Nowak got canned today

Not very surprising. John Hackworth was named the interim manager.

#83 Phil Plantier

• 1,988 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:30 AM

I've watched 15 or so MLS games over the 16 years of it, Sunday's Chicago 3 - 1 NYRB game was the best MLS of them. Definitely a good advertisement for the league. There was skill, dynamism, and pace.

#84 dirtynine

• 3,148 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:24 AM

Went to Philly Union v. DC United on Saturday. Lively game. Fantastic atmosphere even though Chester, PA is a butt hole. And I'm pretty sure, after seeing him play 90+, Adu will never be important to the USMNT.

#85 steeplechase3k

• 1,858 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:30 PM

This match follows the UEFA match on ESPN.

The TImbers are playing like crap and couldn't score in a Seattle brothel lately, but this should still be a great match.

#86 dirtynine

• 3,148 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:11 PM

Just following up - here are a few of my thoughts about Chester, PPL Park, the Union, and how it all pertains to the Revs. http://mwl.li/MklfXm

#87 Titans Bastard

• 3,103 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:50 AM

Three American forwards are atop the MLS scoring chart. That usually doesn't happen and it's been aided by the injury to Thierry Henry.

Wondolowski (13)
Cooper (11)
Bruin (9)

I'm keeping an eye on Will Bruin. A 22 year old second-year striker who is stepping up his game this season. Is he going to be NT quality? I don't know, but he's worth looking out for.

#88 Titans Bastard

• 3,103 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:12 PM

HT in the NY vs. DC game. Chris Pontius scored in the first minuted, but the Red Bulls are up 2-1 after two amazing volleys from Brandon Barklage (of all people). This is one of the more entertaining MLS games I've seen in a while -- hope I don't jinx it.

#89 Titans Bastard

• 3,103 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:46 PM

NBC Sports needs to take a lesson from ESPN and zoom out a little bit. It's never good presentation when a cross is in the air and you're still waiting to see if anyone was making a run.

#90 steeplechase3k

• 1,858 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:37 PM

Wow what a game. 2-1 Timbers.

I hate the Flounders so fucking much.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150992039462236.455059.182844932235&type=3#!/photo.php?fbid=10150992428952236&set=a.10150992039462236.455059.182844932235&type=3&theater

Edited by steeplechase3k, 24 June 2012 - 09:39 PM.

#91 steeplechase3k

• 1,858 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:55 PM

Highlights:

Tifo:

#92 Titans Bastard

• 3,103 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:17 PM

Something was in the water this week. We had some pretty sweet goals....and you know something is up when Eddie Johnson scores a goal in a way that doesn't involve running in a straight line.

Very nice volley by Brandon Barklage:

Even better volley by Barklage:

#93 Titans Bastard

• 3,103 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 10:29 PM

Nice build up and movement from D.C. on Pontius' first goal:

Johnson's halfway decent goal:

Patrick Ianni with the GOTW:

#94 Titans Bastard

• 3,103 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:48 AM

The summer transfer window in MLS opens today. Some previously-completed moves officially went through today.

M Alex -- to Chicago from FC Wohlen (Switzerland)
F Jairo Arrieta -- to Columbus from Deportivo Saprissa (Costa Rica)
M Oscar Boniek Garcia -- to Houston from Olimpia (Honduras)
F Marco Di Vaio -- to Montreal from Bologna (Italy)
D Bakary Soumare -- to Philadelphia from Boulogne (France)
M Barry Robson -- to Vancouver from Middlesbrough (England)

Chicago sold Soumare to Boulogne for $2m a few years ago, but they shortly got relegated from Ligue 1 and now he's back.

Di Vaio is another Italian fossil on Montreal's roster, albeit one who has been very productive in his 30s.

Garcia looks like a solid pickup, a 27 year old with 62 caps for his country.

Robson is getting old, but it looks like Middlesbrough supporters named him their player of the year, so maybe he's still got something in the tank.

#95 Dummy Hoy

• Angry Pissbum

• 3,019 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:08 PM

Beckham gets yellow for kicking ball at "injured" opponent. Almost sets off an incident.

Best part is that as soon as the ball comes in, the guy recovers miraculously.

#96 Spacemans Bong

• chapeau rose

• 16,600 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:31 PM

50,000-plus in Stanford last night for the game, the largest attendance they've had for any event in Stanford since the stadium was rebuilt a few years ago.

#97 steeplechase3k

• 1,858 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:08 AM

Timbers 2 - 1 over SanJose tonight.

The Timbers are such a bipolar team it's crazy. They play great to good at home and ok to horrible on the road.

Hometown boy Danny Mawanga scored his first goal for the Timbers tonight, and Jewsberry added a second so the Timberes gould hang on for the 2-1 win.

Highlights: http://www.mlssoccer...ights-por-vs-sj

#98 Titans Bastard

• 3,103 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:07 PM

I was surprised to see Omar Gonzalez in the starting lineup for LA last night. That's a very quick return for a player who tore his ACL in January.

#99 Titans Bastard

• 3,103 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:20 PM

This is pretty quality.

When he was with the U-17s, McInerney actually had more hype than his teammate Juan Agudelo. Nice to see him perk up a little since Nowak was fired and he was inserted into the starting lineup -- four goals in the last three games. He might turn into something interesting if given a year or two of regular playing time.

#100 Mr. Wednesday

• 807 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:33 AM

Is that Farfan that set it up with a great run on the wing?