Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

BCS Championship Game: #1 LSU vs. #2 Alabama

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
396 replies to this topic

#351 Hendu's Gait

• 3/5's member

• PipPipPip
  • 7,918 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:29 PM

SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOYT MCELWAYNE

#352 Dave Stapleton

• Just A Member

• 5,345 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:29 PM

Anyone looking to see a defensive clinic.

Saban literally may masturbate to this game film.

Or QB and offensive play calling ineptitude.

I get it. Bama is a good defense but LSU never even attempted to challenge them in any way shape or form. Same game plan as the first game except more conservative if that's possible.

#353 Mystic Merlin

• SoSH Member

• 22,091 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:30 PM

Musberger needs to go the way of Summerall.

#354 DanoooME

• SoSH Member

• 6,863 posts

You punt with 3 minutes to go down 21 why?

#355 gtg807y

• 2,556 posts

Alcoholics Anonymous?

#356 patman

• 466 posts

Thank goodness everyone else shot themselves in the foot and gave us another shot at LSU because this is how it should have gone down the first time. So fucking satisfying.

#357 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 22,488 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:31 PM

You punt with 3 minutes to go down 21 why?

Threw in the towel.

#358 Dave Stapleton

• Just A Member

• 5,345 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:31 PM

Wow. He really is embarrassing tonight isn't he?

#359 Freddy Linn

• SoSH Member

• 6,357 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:32 PM

Musberger just pissed off legions of Bama fans with the Bear comment. And he knew it.

#360 twibnotes

• SoSH Member

• 9,000 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:38 PM

McCarron impressed a lot of CFL scouts tonight

#361 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16,915 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:39 PM

What a game. If you like football, you have to appreciate the kind of defensive performance Alabama just gave us. You will not see a team like LSU get embarrassed like that in a long time.

#362 twibnotes

• SoSH Member

• 9,000 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:41 PM

Jeeeeesus. It's getting out of hand how everyone ESPN announcer asks questions that are strictly designed to get the interviewee to cry. Trying that on Saban is especially pathetic bc it ain't gonna work.

Edited by twibnotes, 09 January 2012 - 11:42 PM.

#363 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:43 PM

They didn't give the kicker MVP? What bullshit.

#364 Freddy Linn

• SoSH Member

• 6,357 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:43 PM

Saunders has lost his fastball too.

#365 PaulinMyrBch

• Don't touch his dog food

• 5,215 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:45 PM

They didn't give the kicker MVP? What bullshit.

He was 5 for 8...

#366 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:47 PM

He was 5 for 8...

In college that's pretty awesome. In the Title Game you make the score 15-0, yeah. Stupid voters.

#367 gtg807y

• 2,556 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:49 PM

What a game. If you like football, you have to appreciate the kind of defensive performance Alabama just gave us. You will not see a team like LSU get embarrassed like that in a long time.

Yeah that's true. It was also joyless and boring, the exact opposite of why I enjoy college football. It's been a while since I've seen The English Patient, but this game was kind of like that - well done in its way, but I don't want to watch anything like it again.

#368 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 38,448 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:51 PM

Jeeeeesus. It's getting out of hand how everyone ESPN announcer asks questions that are strictly designed to get the interviewee to cry. Trying that on Saban is especially pathetic bc it ain't gonna work.

Yeah, that was pathetic. Your producers at work. Plus it took Saunders FOREVER to set it up.

#369 maufman

• SoSH Member

• 12,953 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:52 PM

Should have picked a defender for MVP -- Hightower, perhaps?

#370 Guero

• 88 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:53 PM

Les Miles = brain dead

#371 Royal Reader

• 1,268 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:54 PM

Should have picked a defender for MVP -- Hightower, perhaps?

They awarded both offensive and defensive MVPs.

#372 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 22,488 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:02 AM

Saban coming out with the passing and McCarron being accurate completely set the tone for the game. Alabama's defense was great but it might still be 0 - 0 if Saban had dictated the run instead of the passing game plan. McCarron was fine as MVP.

#373 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 12,647 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:41 AM

This game was mostly about the turd that Miles/Jefferson dropped at midfield. Yes, Bama's defense was great but LSU was completely inept. Not all of it was the defense.

#374 PaulinMyrBch

• Don't touch his dog food

• 5,215 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:56 AM

In college that's pretty awesome. In the Title Game you make the score 15-0, yeah. Stupid voters.

It's not awesome, he's a kicker. Glad he redeemed himself, but don't get carried away. Tons of actual "players" more deserving.

#375 JMDurron

• 4,376 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:33 AM

This is fucking Alabama and LSU, how come these schools can't get a legit QB

There's nothing wrong with McCarron, IMO, and Jefferson seems like a stud QB recruit who just didn't pan out. McCarron should do well enough to be drafted to be a backup behind a good NFL QB, or Mark Sanchez in a couple of years. If you're a top QB recruit, though, would you commit to one of these two schools given the offensive system (run first) and competition (play LSU or Alabama every year and risk a crunchy death), or would you commit to Oregon, USC, Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, Texas, or some other school with a high-powered offensive system and significantly less dangerous defensive opponents?

Serious question: Has Chip Kelly ever worn a suit before?

Chizik, meanwhile, is styling.

Styling in purple and yellow, no less.

This thread was more entertaining than the half of the game that I saw. As for the other half...if you like sports, skip parenthood.

Congrats to the SoSH Alabama contingent, I think this might be the largest set of tolerable Alabama fans available on the intertubes. A great big fuck you, though, goes to Oklahoma State for losing to a crap opponent and making this possible.

#376 RingoOSU

• okie misanthrope

• 13,447 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:48 AM

A great big fuck you, though, goes to Oklahoma State for losing to a crap opponent and making this possible.

Fuck you back, dude. Hope you eat shit.
Edit: I hate to make this excuse because the team themselves never will, but that plane crash played a HUGE role in losing that game, which still went into double OT. it fucking happens, and half the country never wanted our so called shitty defense in that game anyway.

Edited by RingoOSU, 10 January 2012 - 08:51 AM.

#377 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 12,647 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:43 AM

Edit: I hate to make this excuse because the team themselves never will, but that plane crash played a HUGE role in losing that game, which still went into double OT. it fucking happens, and half the country never wanted our so called shitty defense in that game anyway.

If it makes you feel better, I wanted to see Justin Blackmon go up against the Honeybadger. Alabama is probably the best team in the nation so they deserve the title...but I just don't care.

#378 RingoOSU

• okie misanthrope

• 13,447 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:46 AM

Right, I can't say with a straight face either team was not as good as Oklahoma State but Weeden and Blackmon vs a SEC defense would have been interesting. This is why a playoff would have been nice. Sure our season probably ends 11-2 instead of 12-1 for our best record ever, but I bet at least we would have scored more than one TD against LSU or Bama, which is more than LSU or Bama can say in EIGHT QUARTERS.

#379 Mystic Merlin

• SoSH Member

• 22,091 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:50 AM

This is why a playoff would have been nice..

Word. The system is a joke.

#380 Shelterdog

• SoSH Member

• 8,881 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:09 AM

How does the plane crash play a huge role in losing that game? I'd be surprised if the football team gave a shit about the women's basketball team, so could you enlighten us.

On a more general point, I've got to think that OSU or Stanford (my alma mater) both would have been able to do something against Alabama's defense last night

#381 JMDurron

• 4,376 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:18 AM

This is why a playoff would have been nice.

Word. The system is a joke.

This was true in 2004, it was true after last year's game, it's still true now. At least a limited 4-8 team playoff needs to happen, but I don't know how long we're going to keep having to wait for it to happen. It's just as likely that the final game still would have been Alabama vs LSU, with the same result, but at least we'd KNOW, instead of having to project/guess about which teams deserved to be there.

On a more general point, I've got to think that OSU or Stanford (my alma mater) both would have been able to do something against Alabama's defense last night

They would have been playing LSU, not Alabama, but I suspect you're right in either case.

#382 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 12,647 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:32 AM

All we really need is a football Final Four. Yes, there'd be teams 5-8 who'd be whining about missing out but it would have settled all the OK State arguments. And if the final game turns into Bama/LSU Part II and is a snoozefest, at least we know.

#383 Victor Hatherley

• 9 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:14 AM

The Real National Champions: North Dakota State.

#384 loshjott

• 3,829 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:04 PM

Per the Sporting News, a playoff is coming.

#385 Old Fart Tree

• the maven of meat

• 5,307 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:33 PM

Too late for the Cardinal, who will slip back into mediocrity, but better late than never. I'll believe it when I see it, I guess.

#386 RingoOSU

• okie misanthrope

• 13,447 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:41 PM

Too late for the Cardinal, who will slip back into mediocrity, but better late than never. I'll believe it when I see it, I guess.

Cardinal=Cowboys, my sentiment exactly. Yay, we get to be alumni of the two teams that helped changed it for the USCs and Oklahomas of the world.

#387 Old Fart Tree

• the maven of meat

• 5,307 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:50 PM

We're definitely not bitter though. :)

#388 johnmd20

• voice of soccer

• 17,126 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:42 PM

Ratings for the game were putrid. It can't help that it was 5-6 weeks between games for both teams. People lose interest. Plus, the late start on Monday after an NFL playoff weekend takes away viewers, too. But if it was a playoff, people would literally be more invested, with their time and their interest.

I hope they go to the playoff. The BCS is horrendous. And it's horrendous for NO reason. You can still play your frickin' bowls, just in a playoff format for the top 4-8 teams in the country. I don't care if it's 4 or 8 teams, there should be a playoff.

#389 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 12,647 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:59 PM

Ratings for the game were putrid. It can't help that it was 5-6 weeks between games for both teams. People lose interest. Plus, the late start on Monday after an NFL playoff weekend takes away viewers, too. But if it was a playoff, people would literally be more invested, with their time and their interest.

I hope they go to the playoff. The BCS is horrendous. And it's horrendous for NO reason. You can still play your frickin' bowls, just in a playoff format for the top 4-8 teams in the country. I don't care if it's 4 or 8 teams, there should be a playoff.

Declining ratings is exactly what we needed. For the first time ever, I'm cautiously optimistic that some form of a playoff might actually happen.

#390 JMDurron

• 4,376 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:06 PM

I'll believe it when I see it, but that's good news.

It's a shame that it had to come this way, though.

#391 Shelterdog

• SoSH Member

• 8,881 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:07 PM

And you've had three straight weeks of random bowl games so unless you're really hard core about college football you've gotten your fix.

#392 zapo

• 151 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:12 PM

RTR

#393 axx

• SoSH Member

• 5,035 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:36 PM

I still think the most likely scenario is the bowls revert to the pre-BCS System (ie: the elite bowls are on NYD), the voters vote again and the BCS CG is played sometime in January, maybe the second Monday after NYD. The Bowls would have no restrictions on who they pick beyond the bowl tie-ins. I don't consider that a playoff.

Ratings for the game were putrid.

The ratings weren't that bad. It's going to end up being Top 5-10 for the year on cable. I'm sure it didn't help that it was a blowout.

#394 Old Fart Tree

• the maven of meat

• 5,307 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:58 PM

As some friends discussed on facebook, the most likely outcome is that the SEC is given its own, additional playoff structure to determine the National Champion, with a playoff for second place of X-1 teams (where X= the ranking of Boise State), in which Notre Dame receives an automatic first round bye.

#395 Old Fart Tree

• the maven of meat

• 5,307 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 01:42 PM

http://www.theonion....pions-en,27034/

#396 axx

• SoSH Member

• 5,035 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:14 PM

Likely BS, but still pretty interesting

So what does the rumor mill say to us? A few hours before the game, the offensive linemen and a few receivers, with T-Bob Hebert and Russell Sheppard, got into a heated argument with Les Miles and the offensive coordinator, regarding Jarrett Lee’s playing time, of which he should get more of. Miles, as expected, wasn’t exactly happy about the guys approaching him.

Miles benched Hebert and Sheppard, later calling Lee into his office, telling him he won’t be playing in the game. The OC, Greg Studrawa, was also in the mind to let Lee play, or at least play more than he had in the final weeks of the season, thinking it would be giving the Tigers a better chance against Alabama. Miles told him he can start looking for another job and took over the play calling job. You saw how well that went.

http://sportige.com/...e-for-a-reason/

#397 MentalDisabldLst

• Prefers spit over lube

• 13,796 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:34 PM

Good Lord. I hope someone puts up 50 in a playoff game this weekend just so I can wash this out of my mind. Ideally the Patriots.

Close enough. I just wish OK ST managed to get a split national title.