Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

2012 NY Jets: O Tannenbaum, gone

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2605 replies to this topic

#101 ( . ) ( . ) and (_!_)

• T&A

• 2,269 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:00 PM

That's interesting. I wonder what rougher the passer calls look like as a % of total qb hits. I'm not sure if there is good data to track this. Does FO track qb hits? But do they record the hit even if the play doesn't count because of a penalty?

#102 Ed Hillel

• Wants to be startin somethin

• 43,683 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:01 PM

Right, but even considering other factors, it's difficult to make the argument that the top QBs are being favored looking at the numbers. Brady and Manning each get the call about once every 700 passes.

Edited by Ed Hillel, 12 January 2012 - 02:03 PM.

#103 Shelterdog

• SoSH Member

• 8,860 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:06 PM

That's interesting. I wonder what rougher the passer calls look like as a % of total qb hits. I'm not sure if there is good data to track this. Does FO track qb hits? But do they record the hit even if the play doesn't count because of a penalty?

NFL.com does, although it does it by team and not by QB.
http://www.nfl.com/s...&qualified=true

#104 Otis Foster

• rex ryan's podiatrist

• 1,102 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:18 PM

"..."We are hiring you to perform the duties of the Offensive Coordinator and or other directed duties needed/desired by the team....that are consistent with the duties customarily discharged by a senior member of the coaching staff (or words to that effect)...."

This comes up quite commonly in executive employment agreement. Sometimes it is paired with a right on the part of employer to suspend some of those duties or that authority for a fixed period of time without being in breach, but at the end of the time period, the employer must fish or cut bait: either return the OC to active duty, or - if it believes that it can fire him for cause - then do so. If neither of those options is pursued, then the employer may be able to discharge the OC without cause, assuming the contract permits that, but in that event, the full package of salary and benefits for the remainder of the original term must be paid per the contract. If the employer and its lawyer didn't address the contingencies in the contract (highly unlikely), then keeping the OC in cold storage past the end date would constitute breach. The one thing most contracts prohibit is assigning inappropriate duties to the employee.

That's my experience, at least.

#105 bakahump

• 4,803 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:04 AM

Thanks Otis

I will admit that my work contract negotiations have historically consisted of "You understand that you will need to work Nights and weekends". :)

But from a common sense standpoint I figured there had to be some wiggle room on what they could ask a coach/employee to do (both ways).

Based on your post there is still enough "possible inconvenience/ career harm" to necessitate a coach taking the buyout and "resigning".

#106 glennhoffmania

• likes the tomahawk chop

• 8,384,290 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:34 PM

Sparano will fix Sanchez:

And now that the metaphorical albatross from around his neck has been removed (at least that's the hope; if Sanchez struggles next season then the Jets will be out of excuses), the plan is to simplify the playbook.

It'll be one of new offensive coordinator Tony Sparano's first acts. ESPNNewYork.com's Rich Cimini explains:

“Look for Sparano to scale back the playbook. Schottenheimer ran a high-volume offense and it overwhelmed Sanchez at times. Sanchez also needs a quarterback coach who can help him better understand pass coverages. Too often he doesn’t know how to react when his first read is covered.”

Maybe that's the problem: Sanchez isn't lazy, he just had trouble understanding what Schottenheimer was trying to do. Sparano, no doubt, will solve everything.

#107 MuellerMen

• 66 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 02:58 PM

now that the scapegoats are gone, its now up to Feetboy and the Sanchize to win.

Yup

If the Jets are interested and could afford Peyton, (picks and $$) will Peyton want them?

Would he want to compete not only against Pats/Brady for the AFC East, but also against Giants-Eli for the hearts and minds of NYC?

Go west Peyton

Given his uber-competitive nature, yes I think he would want Pats and Brady twice a year (especially if he has an F- you attitude with regard to the Colts). One of the reasons I can see him not wanting anything to do with the Jets, other than salary considerations, is the state of the Jets' O-line, which by all accounts is pretty much in a shambles right now. Though that might be a selling point - he might relish those countless opportunities to throw his O-lineman under the bus.

#108 Shelterdog

• SoSH Member

• 8,860 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:12 PM

Sparano is saying they're going to have a vertical offense-ground and pound and then big downfield throws off of play action.

If this is really what they want I think it's a terrible fit for Sanchez. He's ok at play action and throwing on the run but he's not the bazooka armed downfield thrower; IMO he's much better in a short passing offense where he's taking a lot of three step drops and firing it out there quickly.

#109 drleather2001

• given himself a skunk spot

• 14,613 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:13 PM

Given his uber-competitive nature, yes I think he would want Pats and Brady twice a year (especially if he has an F- you attitude with regard to the Colts). One of the reasons I can see him not wanting anything to do with the Jets, other than salary considerations, is the state of the Jets' O-line, which by all accounts is pretty much in a shambles right now. Though that might be a selling point - he might relish those countless opportunities to throw his O-lineman under the bus.

If he had a f-you attitude toward the Colts, and if he wanted to cement his legacy (he likely blames his lack of championships on weak defenses), he'd be best served by going to another AFC team not in the East.

For the next 2 years (at least), the road to the playoffs in the AFC East goes through foxboro. The Jets are in disarray and declining after their 2 year run. New York is a bad place for a guy in Manning's position.

It's too bad the Raiders shelled out for Palmer, eh?

#110 MuellerMen

• 66 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:52 PM

If he had a f-you attitude toward the Colts, and if he wanted to cement his legacy (he likely blames his lack of championships on weak defenses), he'd be best served by going to another AFC team not in the East.

For the next 2 years (at least), the road to the playoffs in the AFC East goes through foxboro. The Jets are in disarray and declining after their 2 year run. New York is a bad place for a guy in Manning's position.

It's too bad the Raiders shelled out for Palmer, eh?

Point taken. Although, while the Jets' defense didn't play well consistently this season, their core is pretty strong and it's not inconceivable that the defense will be their strong suit next season. Also, beyond the Pats and Jets (barely, at this pont), I don't see any other AFC East team strong enough to contend. But, yeah, getting to the playoffs and the Super Bowl will be a lot easier in the AFC West, and only there. As you imply, the AFC North and Central (won't be traded within division, I don't think) are likely out, both in terms of suitors for Peyton's services and his willingness to play in those divisions.

#111 CaptainLaddie

• dj paul pfieffer

• 23,105 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:09 PM

Manning on the Raiders would have made them frightening (supposing Peyton was healthy, of course). McFadden / Bush with those WRs who can all get downfield fast, and a pretty good OL.... yikes.

#112 SunkToANewLowell

• 422 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:14 PM

NFL.com's Mike Lombardi reports that the Rams have offered Brian Schottnheimer their offensive coordinator position, and Schottenheimer "will accept the position."

#113 mikeford

• woolwich!

• 17,871 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:49 PM

LaDainian Tomlinson on Showtime tonight: Jets locker room "is as bad as I’ve ever been around, honestly."

RapSheet Ian R. Rapoport
Tomlinson to Showtime on Rex Ryan: "I would prefer him not to say it as much as he did." Man oh man

RapSheet Ian R. Rapoport
More LT on Showtime tonight: "It got out-of-hand toward the end of the season. That is why it got out in the media."

The mutiny continues.

#114 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16,626 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:53 PM

Tomlinson is on Inside the NFL tonight. WFAN had snippets of the interview and it's very juicy. I'll paraphrase what he said.

On the locker room situation: "It was as bad as I've been around. Things got out of hand during the losing streak towards the end of the year. It was a continuation of things that were said in Week 3 or 4 but were kept in-house."

On Sanchez-Holmes relationship and if he was GM if he would keep Holmes: "That's a tough one. I'd have to sit down with them and be sure that things would work out. It is a tough decision to make."

More Sanchez: "I don't think he's lazy but he needs a fire lit under him. He's a bit pampered because he doesn't have any competition."

On Rex: "I wish he wouldn't say it as much. It does make other teams have a little extra you know to end the Jets' season.

On the decision to alter the offense to more passing down the field: "If it ain't broke don't fix it."

#115 Soxy Brown

• 2,524 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:59 PM

My favorite part is when he seemingly laments that the things said since Week 3 or 4 were no longer kept in house. That is some awesome cognitive dissonance there.

But we know he's a classy guy.

#116 Toe Nash

• 3,112 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:46 PM

My favorite part is when he seemingly laments that the things said since Week 3 or 4 were no longer kept in house. That is some awesome cognitive dissonance there.

But we know he's a classy guy.

Well he definitely provided a ton of veteran leadership in that clubhouse.

#117 jmcc5400

• 1,845 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:54 PM

It just seems like the Jets show no class at all. Absolutely no class. And maybe that comes from their head coach. So you know, there you have it.

#118 JBill

• 1,944 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:59 PM

Can't believe I feel badly for Sanchez, but I do. Does Rex say something at this point, it's a little out of hand now.

#119 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 22,105 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:08 PM

I guess what they say like what happens in Vegas doesn't apply to New York, huh?

#120 dcmissle

• SoSH Member

• 12,776 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:29 PM

I guess what they say like what happens in Vegas doesn't apply to New York, huh?

It's not a team; it's a bunch of mercenaries recruited by Tannenbaum.

I suspected Tomlinson from the get as one of the sources of the Daily News story, and this tends to confirm it. He's the Jets' version of Tiki Barber, and all you had to do was examine some of his statements in a Chargers' uniform to confirm it.

Several years ago, "Mr. T" (as Francesa likes to call him) began making deals with the devil. And "Woody" well knew the purpose of the deals, beginning with Favre -- "We need to sell PSLs". Rex set a poor example with his mouthiness, which blared "everything goes". But the character of the team was set by Woody and Mr. T.

And yeah, I feel badly for Sanchez too.

#121 LMontro

• 630 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:36 PM

I don't get the "I feel bad for The Sanchize" stuff. They all deserve each other and I am enjoying every second of this shit-show.

#122 dcmissle

• SoSH Member

• 12,776 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:45 PM

I don't get the "I feel bad for The Sanchize" stuff. They all deserve each other and I am enjoying every second of this shit-show.

For all I know, a lot of what they say about him is true. No matter, from my perspective. These guys are supposed to be there for each other.

#123 Royal Reader

• 1,252 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:17 PM

There really is an upper limit of pity one can have for a guy who's banging Kate Upton.

#124 Rough Carrigan

• reasons within Reason

• 16,781 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:13 PM

There really is an upper limit of pity one can have for a guy who's banging Kate Upton.

And who sexually assaulted -oops- allegedly sexually assaulted a girl at USC and got away with it.

#125 Salva135

• Cassandra

• 1,143 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:26 PM

It's hard to feel bad for Sanchez when the fact that he stinks is the primary reason they're in this spot to begin with. Holmes is basically in TO territory now... but as is the case with all diva WRs, the inability of the QB to get him the ball is the reason for all discontent.

#126 glennhoffmania

• 8,384,290 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:34 PM

Yeah I agree- I don't understand the Sanchez sympathy. He's a shitty football player who gets blown daily in the NY media when they win a game, he's making a ton of cash, banging hot chicks, and seems to have a pretty damn good life overall. If his teammates point out that he sucks, they're only saying what we already knew.

#127 CaptainLaddie

• dj paul pfieffer

• 23,105 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:05 PM

The whole NFL is laughing at the Jets.

#128 Otis Foster

• rex ryan's podiatrist

• 1,102 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:34 AM

Too bad CHB isn't writing for the Post or the News. His columns would be a daily must-read.

#129 ivanvamp

• one campus at a time..

• 4,476 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:40 AM

Yeah I agree- I don't understand the Sanchez sympathy. He's a shitty football player who gets blown daily in the NY media when they win a game, he's making a ton of cash, banging hot chicks, and seems to have a pretty damn good life overall. If his teammates point out that he sucks, they're only saying what we already knew.

Hey now, be fair. His QB rating has gone up every year.

2009: 63.0
2010: 75.3
2011: 78.2

I mean, give the kid some time. Maybe eventually he'll get into the 90's.

#130 lithos2003

• 255 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:49 AM

Hey now, be fair. His QB rating has gone up every year.

2009: 63.0
2010: 75.3
2011: 78.2

I mean, give the kid some time. Maybe eventually he'll get into the 90's.

Given the rate he's going.. maybe by year 6 :bravo:

#131 glennhoffmania

• 8,384,290 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:52 AM

If the QB rating system is modified to give bonus points for check downs he has a shot at breaking 90. I've seen almost all of his games during his first three years since I'm in NY and don't have DTV, and I would say that his progress has been slow at best.

#132 ivanvamp

• one campus at a time..

• 4,476 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:07 AM

If the QB rating system is modified to give bonus points for check downs he has a shot at breaking 90. I've seen almost all of his games during his first three years since I'm in NY and don't have DTV, and I would say that his progress has been slow at best.

I know. I was being facetious with my post. Though I must admit, I am on record as saying that I thought he'd end up being a pretty good NFL QB. Obviously there's still time, but he was pretty bad this year.

#133 Shelterdog

• SoSH Member

• 8,860 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:07 AM

He may be a nice guy (although I question any 24 or 25 year old dude who's dating a 17 year old) but I don't find him sympathetic as a quarterback. From the little we see he is pampered or unfocussed or something. In hard knocks he was a bit of a class clown (all the nacho jokes and the jokes he would make to stone-faced, hard corp viking assassin Mangold who wouldn't bother to respond), Brunnell had to tell him where they kept the playbooks (it was Mark's second year), there was the weird scene where he couldn't look the QB coach in the eye when they were talking about Mark's leadership goals. He had the goofy press conference where he read a speach that sounded like it would end with something about Jets football rocks. There was the hot dog incident. There was the weird revelation this year that-unlike in prior years-he was going to talk about football to his receivers between plays rather than just joke around. Then there was the story about how his whole fraterntiy showed up at his pro day-which apparently impressed Rex and Tanny. Really?

Colt McCoy and Tim Tebow might suck but I'll guarantee that they don't need to be told to talk to receivers between plays, and I'll guarantee that they learned where the playbooks were kept on day one of rookie camp.

#134 loshjott

• 3,789 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:47 AM

I watched the regular season finale against the Dolphins in a house full of Jets fans. Needless to say, they spewed venom toward Sanchez the entire game. We all laughed at his demeanor and treatment on the sidelines. He was sitting under a shade tent - the kind you see at little league games during summer tournaments but I've never seen on an NFL sideline. And when Sanchez got up from the bench to go somewhere else, it looked like they had a lackey follow him with an umbrella to keep the sun off him for even one extra second. Weird.

Edited by loshjott, 19 January 2012 - 10:48 AM.

#135 pappymojo

• 1,534 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:06 AM

I watched the regular season finale against the Dolphins in a house full of Jets fans. Needless to say, they spewed venom toward Sanchez the entire game. We all laughed at his demeanor and treatment on the sidelines. He was sitting under a shade tent - the kind you see at little league games during summer tournaments but I've never seen on an NFL sideline. And when Sanchez got up from the bench to go somewhere else, it looked like they had a lackey follow him with an umbrella to keep the sun off him for even one extra second. Weird.

Forget Sanchez, I feel bad for loshjott. A house full of Jets fans? Shoot me.

#136 loshjott

• 3,789 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:09 AM

Forget Sanchez, I feel bad for loshjott. A house full of Jets fans? Shoot me.

Good point. I was with some good friends from college, and my family had been visiting for new year's eve. Needless to say we didn't get an early enough start to drive 3 hrs home before the early games started on Jan 1. The good thing is he has Sunday Ticket so I spent most of my time watching Pats-Bills by myself in another room.

#137 BannedbyNYYFans.com

• 3,152 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:55 AM

Here is the LT segment from Inside the NFL. It's up on youtube but I'm assuming it'll be down shortly. So if anybody wants to grab a peak now, have at it.

#138 Morning Woodhead

• 761 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:51 PM

I still can't stand the guy, but he was refreshingly candid. Can't wait to hear the inevitable followup quotes from anonymous players about this.

#139 Tony the Pony

• Fork You Schpors

• 3,127 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:55 PM

Shit - didnt mean to reply here.

Sign LT as a back-up! :)

Edited by Tony the Pony, 19 January 2012 - 01:56 PM.

#140 eccha

• 7 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:25 AM

for those of you who are interested...Fatboy Rex is on with Mike F on WFAN this afternoon at 1:30 PM. After the way Mike T. was rosted..this could be a must hear.

#141 Otis Foster

• rex ryan's podiatrist

• 1,102 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:46 AM

Woody Johnson continues to talk, per the NYT:

Johnson gushed further — “he may be one of the best players we’ve ever had here” — while alluding occasionally to any concerns about Holmes’s abandoning his teammates against Miami and undercutting his quarterback. From Johnson, Sanchez received muted praise in what was almost a backhanded compliment.
By saying Sanchez could be a complete quarterback “when he has the confidence,” Johnson all but called Sanchez fragile. By saying that the Jets are “going to try to make the offense maybe a little more suitable for what Mark’s development is” — referring to their decision to hire Tony Sparano, a proponent of a run-oriented style, as offensive coordinator — Johnson seemed to acknowledge that Sanchez is nothing more than a game manager at this point, and perhaps beyond.

The gift that gives on giving.

http://tinyurl.com/7j5swpw

Edit: Added link

Edited by Otis Foster, 20 January 2012 - 07:47 AM.

#142 Philip Jeff Frye

• SoSH Member

• 5,370 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:44 AM

for those of you who are interested...Fatboy Rex is on with Mike F on WFAN this afternoon at 1:30 PM. After the way Mike T. was rosted..this could be a must hear.

Oh great. The Giants play their biggest game in 5 years on Sunday and we're going to get 5 hours of Jets talk instead.

#143 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 22,105 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:22 AM

Oh great. The Giants play their biggest game in 5 years on Sunday and we're going to get 5 hours of Jets talk instead.

4 years. Posted Image

#144 Gambler7

• 3,075 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:02 PM

Rich Cimini @RichCimini 4m
Rex Ryan, on lack of involvement offense, says verbiage last season was a little much for HIM to handle. Stunning. #Jets

Edited by Gambler7, 20 January 2012 - 01:03 PM.

#145 abty

• PipPip
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:12 PM

I cannot believe Rex is on. I thought it was confirmed that he wouldn't show. If that's the case, there needs to be an IGT for that interview. jk sorta.

#146 Philip Jeff Frye

• SoSH Member

• 5,370 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:45 PM

4 years. Posted Image

Doh!

#147 BannedbyNYYFans.com

• 3,152 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:47 PM

Espn AFC EAST Blog breaks down cap issues for next season.

http://espn.go.com/b...east-salary-cap

New York Jets (8-8)

Projected cap: $125 million

Key free agents: WR Plaxico Burress, DT Sione Pouha, S Jim Leonhard

Analysis: The Jets are the only AFC East team projected to be over the cap. This was a team built to win now and it didn't work out; now New York has to make some trimmings on the roster if it wants to do anything in free agency. There's a good chance Burress and Leonhard won't return. Pouha is a good player and could come back at the right price. Running back LaDainian Tomlinson also is a free agent. But his role was drastically reduced this past season and it's unlikely he will return. Tomlinson is contemplating retirement.

Fwiw, the team in the best position, cap wise, is the Pats w/ a projected payroll of $99 million

Edited by BannedbyNYYFans.com, 20 January 2012 - 01:50 PM.

#148 bradmahn

• 237 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:24 PM

Fwiw, the team in the best position, cap wise, is the Pats w/ a projected payroll of $99 million

Is there any chance whatsoever the Patriots use that money to sign Mario Williams to a nice long-term contract? I hope to God that they do.

#149 Toe Nash

• 3,112 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:32 PM

Is there any chance whatsoever the Patriots use that money to sign Mario Williams to a nice long-term contract? I hope to God that they do.

I wouldn't mind grabbing Leonhard for the right price, if his knee has recovered.

#150 CaptainLaddie

• dj paul pfieffer

• 23,105 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:12 PM

The Texans will do EVERYTHING in their power to keep him, even if their defense was damn good without him.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users