Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

2012 NY Jets: O Tannenbaum, gone

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2605 replies to this topic

#1 SeoulSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 11,861 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:52 PM

Since it's a new year, it's time to start a new Jets thread. Let the drama continue.

Edited by SeoulSoxFan, 30 December 2012 - 04:10 PM.

#2 abty

• PipPip
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:15 AM

I am not sure how you were able to create this new thread since Rex guaranteed that the 2011 thread would last, at least, 2 years.

#3 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• now batting steve sal hiney. the leftfielder, hiney

• 25,761 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:46 AM

Tanny was on WFAN with Fat Mike the other day, and said if Shotty doesn't get the Jax job he will return as OC. No changes planned for the coaching staff.

#4 Shelterdog

• SoSH Member

• 8,881 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:48 AM

Tanny was on WFAN with Fat Mike the other day, and said if Shotty doesn't get the Jax job he will return as OC. No changes planned for the coaching staff.

I'm not sure I believe Tanny. Schotty's looking all over for a job-it was just in the news that he was trying to get the OC job at Florida. If he really wanted to stay and they really wanted him to stay he wouldn't be looking at college coordinator jobs.

#5 TheoShmeo

• made johnny damon think long and hard

• 8,336 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:51 AM

That is indeed what he said and Rex said the same thing to Michael Kay on 1050. Though Rex added that Schotty might get some other head coaching job and didn't limit the Jets Out to the Jax HC job.

I don't buy it, though. Both of them only got to the point that Schottenheimer would return if he didn't get a HC job after being pinned down by the questioner, and my take away was that, one way or the other, they'll find a way to begin 2012 with a new OC.

#6 dcmissle

• SoSH Member

• 13,055 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:08 AM

The consensus among the NY media appears to be that they don't want him back. "Please, take this guy off our hands, he'd make a wonderful HC."

The rationale for this -- Woody wants to save a million bucks -- seems stretched to me; that's pocket change for Woody. But that seems to be the prevailing view FWIW, and the media are skewing the Jets over what they believe to be a disingenuous press conference.

#7 SeoulSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 11,861 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:07 PM

I am not sure how you were able to create this new thread since Rex guaranteed that the 2011 thread would last, at least, 2 years.

*sniff* because I LOVE you guys.

I am also not going to back down -- I guarantee this thread will be the most super thread of all threads on this board AGAIN. I didn't come to this forum to kiss SoxScout's rings (or toes).

#8 Old Fart Tree

• the maven of meat

• 5,308 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 06:43 PM

The Jets' Pepsi Max commercial is delightful with the benefit of hindsight. Is it new, or has this been playing all year and I just never saw it?

Edited by Old Fart Tree, 07 January 2012 - 06:43 PM.

#9 BannedbyNYYFans.com

• 3,175 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 08:26 PM

The Jets' Pepsi Max commercial is delightful with the benefit of hindsight. Is it new, or has this been playing all year and I just never saw it?

Started a couple weeks ago. They had a different one earlier in the year with just Sanchez.

Bart Scott wants to be the spokesperson for Pepsi One.
Posted Image

Seriously, where does a player learn behavior like that?
Spoiler

Edited by BannedbyNYYFans.com, 07 January 2012 - 08:27 PM.

#10 dcmissle

• SoSH Member

• 13,055 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:51 AM

The shit shoveling in the wake of a collapse is always interesting. Problem is, NYC wiseguys are not buying it for a second. Even Lucky couldn't spin this down there --

The Jets have said that offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer will be back with the team next year if he doesn’t get a head coaching job elsewhere in a variety of forums.
Rex Ryan said it in his season-ending press conference. Ryan and G.M. Mike Tannenbaum said it in a variety of radio interviews.

And yet no in New York seems to believe them.

ESPNNewYork.com’s Rich Cimini writes that he would be “stunned” if Schottenheimer is back with the team. Cimini believes Schottenheimer could make a lateral move before returning.
So what’s the delay?

The Jets reportedly want to save as much money as possible off Schottenheimer’s contract. He’s due $3.2 million over the next two years, which they would have to eat if they fired him.
The New York Post, meanwhile, has an article Sunday about a list of offensive coordinator candidates. Brian Costello reports that former Dolphins head coach Tony Sparano and Jaguars offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter have been targeted as potential replacements.

An ESPN report Saturday said that Sparano could get interest from the Jets.

The Jets can say they are just performing due diligence in case Schottenheimer gets a job elsewhere, but let’s be real. He had one interview (in Jacksonville) and he’s a longshot for that job.
It appears the Jets are greasing the skids for his exit.

#11 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16,973 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:23 PM

Wr coach Henry Ellard will not return and neither will OL coach Bill Callahan. Callahan is headed to Dallas in the same position

#12 Shelterdog

• SoSH Member

• 8,881 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:26 PM

Wr coach Henry Ellard will not return and neither will OL coach Bill Callahan. Callahan is headed to Dallas in the same position

The Callahan departure is really interesting. I wonder if we ever learn whether it was for money, whether he was pushed out, or whether (as the NY press has been speculating) the Jets really wanted to keep him as a potential OC but Callahan decided to get the fuck out of dodge.

#13 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16,973 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:16 PM

Schotty is out. Not surprising.

https://twitter.com/#!/TheJetsStream/status/156952249405407232
link to tweet

#14 rembrat

• SoSH Member

• 23,747 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:25 PM

Tony Sparano, new OC? Really?

#15 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16,973 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:29 PM

Tony Sparano, new OC? Really?

According to Mort,....

Tony Sparano has been first in line for Jets in event of this move, per league sources. Expect an announcement by Wednesday. #Jets #NFL32

#16 soxhop411

• SoSH Member

• 11,495 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:42 PM

good hire or bad hire?

#17 Mystic Merlin

• SoSH Member

• 22,128 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:43 PM

The scapegoat is gone.

#18 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 12,712 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:45 PM

Did he voluntarily leave? They work out some kind of settlement?

#19 Romero Romine

• 947 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:51 PM

Did he jump, was he pushed, or did Mike Westhoff simply set up a human wall to keep him out of the Jets front office?

#20 Freddy Linn

• SoSH Member

• 6,360 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:53 PM

According to Mort,....

Fist pumper in Jersey. Makes sense to me.

Posted Image

#21 Gorton Fisherman

• 914 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:11 AM

What a terrible hire by the Jets. This franchise is circling the drain.

#22 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 17,471 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:04 AM

The scapegoat is gone.

I don't think he was a scapegoat, he gave away so many first and second downs with superpredictable runs between the tackles.

#23 Jed Zeppelin

• SoSH Member

• 15,813 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:41 AM

I'm glad I get to keep laughing at Sparano's shades twice a year. Yes I know there's something wrong with his eyes. It looks funny okay?

#24 Salva135

• Cassandra

• 1,143 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:34 AM

I thought they were supposed to hire a young QB development guru to turn Sanchez into Drew Brees. After all, he can make all the throws. Only difference between them is coaching...

Edited by Salva135, 11 January 2012 - 03:35 AM.

#25 Gorton Fisherman

• 914 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:45 AM

Unnamed teammates of the Sanchize characterize him as lazy, content, coddled, etc.

NY Daily News: NY Jets players bash Mark Sanchez, want Manning

#26 TheoShmeo

• 8,336 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:29 AM

No surprise that Schotty is gone and that many in the Jets organization realize that Sanchez is not the QB to lead them.

I was hoping that the Jets would limp along for another year or two with Schotty and Sanchez, even though I knew it was unlikely, especially in the case of the OC.

The Peyton Manning decision/chase will be fascinating to watch. Can the Jets suffer the high price the Colts will demand and the huge chunk of the salary cap it will take to sign him?

#27 Gambler7

• 3,081 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:57 AM

Wow.

The hope for some players this offseason is that the Jets will pursue Manning if he is healthy and available. Of course, there is no guarantee that Manning would choose them even if owner Woody Johnson and Ryan put on an all-out blitz.

“I don’t think that he’ll come here,” a member of the Jets organization said. “We have to change the perception of our organization. We’re not the organization that players said they wanted to play for a year or two ago. We’re starting to come across a little flaky. We talk the talk. We don’t back it up. We’re out of control. There’s no discipline. It’s a mess right now.”

http://www.nydailyne...5#ixzz1j9bmm2vo

#28 Judge Mental13

• designated driver

• 4,881 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:38 AM

Wow, there's your Bob Hohler article.

The similarities here are borderline ridiculous.

#29 bankshot1

• SoSH Member

• 7,954 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:40 AM

now that the scapegoats are gone, its now up to Feetboy and the Sanchize to win.

The Peyton Manning decision/chase will be fascinating to watch

Yup

If the Jets are interested and could afford Peyton, (picks and $$) will Peyton want them?

Would he want to compete not only against Pats/Brady for the AFC East, but also against Giants-Eli for the hearts and minds of NYC?

Go west Peyton

Edited by bankshot1, 11 January 2012 - 08:41 AM.

#30 loshjott

• 3,829 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:47 AM

I wonder how Jet fans of a certain generation who grew up hating the Dolphins with an abject passion are taking the Sparano hiring. Sure, if he cleans things up and turns Sanchez into a good-to-great QB, it'll be a super hire. But fans will have to swallow a lot of bile to get there.

#31 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• now batting steve sal hiney. the leftfielder, hiney

• 25,761 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:58 AM

That is a brutal article.

Other teammates were less forgiving. They pointed to Sanchez’s career arc as reason for change.

Sanchez has finished 29th, 29th and 27th in completion percentage in his first three seasons. His passer-rating rankings: 28th, 27th and 23rd.

He has taken a step back in yards per attempt each season from 6.7 to 6.5 to 6.4. Rex Ryan admitted that the inability to stretch the field was one of his primary concerns all year. Sanchez completed a league-worst two passes of 40-plus yards this season. By comparison, Tim Tebow completed three passes of at least 40 yards in the second quarter of the Broncos’ wild-card overtime win against the Steelers Sunday.

Although Sanchez won four road playoff games in his first two seasons, some teammates remained critical, pointing to the successful rushing attack and defense as the key reasons for the Jets’ success in 2009 and 2010.

Damn.

When Rexy got to NY and started talking about winning the SB right away, I remember discussion here about such a tactic. I had said at the time that it seemed hasty given they were going to be using a rookie QB right away and that Rex's talk made a break-in period unaccetpable. Now look at them: teammates talking about Sanchez not accepting the need to improve, of being callow and coddled. He wouldn't have to be coddled if they weren't talking smack about the SB right away; he could make his rookie mistakes and not have to think he was derailing the SB Express. Instead it appears he thinks he's good enough already.

Lord what a mess. Talking got them into the papers, and they did have good postseason runs each of the last two years, but their success appears to have been on a paper-thin margin.

#32 abty

• PipPip
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:04 AM

Is Sparano really the best candidate? He is just another career loser. They need somebody with a track record of winning and when I think of the Miami Dolphins and their offense that is not what comes to mind. Is he really THAT good at what he does?

#33 HomeBrew1901

• Has Season 1 of "Manimal" on Blu Ray

• 8,382 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:08 AM

Berry, what are your thoughts on this? You've been a pretty big Sanchez supporter the last 3 years, blaming Schotty and his offense for any of his struggles, does the report from anonymous players change your opinion on him?

#34 Mystic Merlin

• SoSH Member

• 22,128 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:11 AM

I don't think he was a scapegoat, he gave away so many first and second downs with superpredictable runs between the tackles.

My comment has nothing to do with Schottenheimer's performance - no one would dispute that his play-calling was puzzling, at best. What I'm speaking to is the psychology generated among Jets fans, and it's one we've seen here w/r/t McDaniels and BOB (and people STILL think the latter is no good); rather than pointing to the personnel deficiencies on the Jets (and there are quite a few), or the fact their QB looked like a rookie for key stretches of the season (yes, his stats improved, and, no, I don't really care because he's still an average QB at statistically and anyone who watches the games knows this was a QB who wasn't shouldering more of the load for much of the second half of the season).

I don't want to turn this into another Sanchize shitfest, but somehow I suspect that an above average QB would've managed to get the ball to Santonio Holmes, Plaxico Burress, and Dustin Keller with a bit more regularity and efficiency, regardless of what Schottenheimer was calling. The team clearly had an identity crisis and a fundamental philosophical disconnect between the head coach and OC (and, BTW, last I checked Rex Ryan was Schottenheimer's boss, this isn't Mike Martz we're talking about, he shoulders just as much blame for allowing the team to air it out 40-50 times with a QB ill-suited to such an approach), but it all comes back to Rex and Sanchez. Rex steers and ship, and Sanchez is the catalyst on the field; the former ran into a reef because he let the first mate Schotty steer into it, and the latter fizzled.

In short, the focus on Schottenheimer - while predictable (there needs to be a body on the lawn) - is counterproductive and merely focuses on the symptoms of their problems.

EDIT - This has all the trappings of a sacrificial lamb to the fans (and, yes, Schotty's erratic playcalling down the stretch made this easy). I mean, jon, do you really think Rex didn't know Schotty benched Holmes? You're gonna buy his babe in the woods routine? Rex is saving his own ass on this one; he's more than happy to allow the media and fans to feed on Schotty.

Edited by Mystic Merlin, 11 January 2012 - 09:18 AM.

#35 PBDWake

• 2,817 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:18 AM

A lot of the best OCs are awful head coaches (Norv Turner being the prime example [Wade Phillips on the defensive side also comes to mind]), so their record as a coach really isn't indicative of their ability. The skill set required for each is rather different. I'm sure that part of the equation is that Sparano was a highly lauded line coach, coming to a team where a) The offensive line was a virtual sieve this year, and b) they just lost their current line coach. Also, he coached up a very effective run game in Miami, which I'm sure is a Rex priority this offseason. Still, I'm hesitant to think this is a good hire. It screams style to me more than substance. People know Sparano.

#36 Shelterdog

• SoSH Member

• 8,881 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:19 AM

On the Manning stuff.

Unless Peyton renegotiates (and who knows if he does), either (a) the Colts "cut" Manning before his March option bonus is due and Manning is a free agent or (b) the Colts pay Manning his bonus and it becomes more or less impossible to trade Manning for cap reasons.

There really isn't a scenario right now where the Jets can trade for Manning.

#37 Shelterdog

• SoSH Member

• 8,881 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:35 AM

Word on the street is Sparano as OC (already announced) and Haley as some kind of WR/Passing Game/assistant head coach.

Haley, Rex and Sparano. What could possibly go wrong with those three personalities on the sideline.

Also, while firing Schotty was not stupid and may have even been necessary why go through the ruse of a long press conference saying you're not going to fire him?

Edited by Shelterdog, 11 January 2012 - 09:37 AM.

#38 Mystic Merlin

• SoSH Member

• 22,128 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:39 AM

Also, while firing Schotty was not stupid and may have even been necessary why go through the ruse of a long press conference saying you're not going to fire him?

Because they were praying to their Lord that he would get the Jacksonville job, relieving them of the balance of his contract ($3.2M) - they were, ironically, Schotty's PR arm for that short period.

#39 Shelterdog

• SoSH Member

• 8,881 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:40 AM

Because they were praying to their Lord that he would get the Jacksonville job, relieving them of the balance of his contract ($3.2M) - they were, ironically, Schotty's PR arm for that short period.

I know that was their hope but IMO the press conference doesn't meaningfully advance his shot at the jackonsville or any other job.

#40 Mystic Merlin

• SoSH Member

• 22,128 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:42 AM

I know that was their hope but IMO the press conference doesn't meaningfully advance his shot at the jackonsville or any other job.

I agree, but who knows what they were thinking. It was just about the worst press conference ever, so it wouldn't surprise me to learn that the same group would believe there was value to emphasizing how great and awesome and integral to the Jets' future Schotty was.

#41 tims4wins

• PN23's replacement

• 7,158 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:48 AM

My favorite part about the Schotty firing is that if Sanchez struggles again next year, the excuses will be "it's his first year in the new system, you have to give him a couple years to learn it!". So we'll probably get at least one or two more years of the fun that is the Sanchize.

#42 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16,973 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:57 AM

Via PFT

Per a league source, Schottenheimer resigned after being told by the Jets to get another job, or get out.

#43 dcmissle

• SoSH Member

• 13,055 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:05 AM

Rats off a ship in that article. I feel badly for Sanchez; being a teammate is supposed to mean something.

But what the hell, when your HC runs his mouth about everything, who is he or anyone else to complain. Ultimately, a lot of this rests with Tannenbaum, who filled the locker room with a few too many low character, no account, front running sons of bitches.

#44 TheoShmeo

• 8,336 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:06 AM

Wow, there's your Bob Hohler article.

The similarities here are borderline ridiculous.

As bad as the Red Sox meltdown was, at least we were spared having players point fingers at one another. At least to this extent.

This is a schadenfreude festivus.

#45 weeba

• 1,487 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:09 AM

Love this part:

A source close to the team pointed out that Sanchez’s inability to handle mounting criticism prompted him to unfollow every Jets beat writer on Twitter earlier this season.

#46 steveluck7

• 1,175 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:17 AM

Love this part:

But did he un-friend them on facebook? That's the real sign that soeone is upset

#47 dcmissle

• SoSH Member

• 13,055 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:26 AM

Via PFT

Schotty's "resignation" means one of two things. Either his old man is getting the Buc's gig and he is following him there. Or, it's a boldfaced lie, and he was fired. Cause there is no way Brain is walking away from $3.2MM, especially after the way this has unfolded. When you genuinely "resign", you forfeit your rights under the contract.

#48 Bucknahs Bum Ankle

• SoSH Member

• 8,489 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:29 AM

Schotty's "resignation" means one of two things. Either his old man is getting the Buc's gig and he is following him there. Or, it's a boldfaced lie, and he was fired. Cause there is no way Brain is walking away from $3.2MM, especially after the way this has unfolded. When you genuinely "resign", you forfeit your rights under the contract.

FWIW, Schefter was on M&M this morning and said that if Marty gets the HC gig in TB, there is no way Brian is following him there. Wants to keep out of his old man's shadow and establish himself on his own merits, etc. I agree that he didn't simply walk away from $3.2M, there has to be something more to it.

#49 bakahump

• 4,834 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:08 AM

Yea...

"We will give you 2.5 million right now and you can go do whatever you want. If you demand the 3.2 we will keep you on a couch out of coaching till the contract ends. Deal? If so just sign the "resignation" papers."

#50 BucketOBalls

• SoSH Member

• 5,644 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:12 AM

FWIW, Schefter was on M&M this morning and said that if Marty gets the HC gig in TB, there is no way Brian is following him there. Wants to keep out of his old man's shadow and establish himself on his own merits, etc. I agree that he didn't simply walk away from $3.2M, there has to be something more to it.

It sounds like they told him they were going to fire him, so he resigned. Is there some difference?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users