Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Apple + Premier League = Please Happen

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 dirtynine

• 3,084 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:57 AM

If I can cross the streams between BYTE and GAZZA for a second, it seems like Apple (or Google, or anybody with cash and a streaming media play) is weighing a bid for Premier League rights. This seems too good to be true, but the idea is very disruptive and hence, very Apple-like. The big thing stopping many from cutting out cable is access to live sports. If Apple can go straight to the content and cut their own deals, we are in for good things.

ed. what's kind of amusing is watching this story pop up in both the tech news and soccer news churns. I usually keep them separated - it's like when Costanza met Jerry's Summer Costanza.

Edited by dirtynine, 05 January 2012 - 11:03 AM.

#2 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 8,233 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:09 AM

Would Apple be taking the Premier League rights away from FSC in the US?

#3 Spacemans Bong

• chapeau rose

• 16,544 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:08 PM

This is only in the UK.

I can't imagine this will win, if only because the PL will not sell the rights online-only. Apple would have to do something so people can sit and watch it on TV or in the pub, and Apple TV is not the answer to that.

However they may well separate TV rights from online rights, which would be big as any Internet-literate person under 40 with a good Internet connection will drop Sky like a hot potato. If you think FSC 2 is expensive, try paying about $50 a month for a limited selection of live PL games in HD. Many people do, amazingly.