Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

The Stiemsman

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
54 replies to this topic

#1 Sprowl

• mikey lowell of the sandbox

• 20183 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:19 PM

Greg Stiemsma and Brandon Bass have been the best players off the bench for the Celtics. Bass has exceeded expectations in athleticism and shotmaking, but Stiemsma is the real surprise. He's long, he seems to have good lateral quickness, and he's an aggressive weakside shotblocker with good timing. He made his first appearance in the blowout loss in New Orleans with 6 blocks -- even in garbage time that gets noticed.

How are the rest of his skills? He seems to be a competent position rebounder, but I'm not sure about how quick he'll be when rebounding in a crowd. He hasn't dropped many passes, but until getting the start against the Bullets in place of Jermaine, he hadn't been thrown many passes. He made four jump shots and a layup -- if he can convert the basic opportunity from the pass out of the double team, he will be a very useful player for the Celtics.

What do you think of the early-season surprise?

#2 TheRooster

• 1763 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:27 PM

Very encouraging. What I loved tonight is that he was pretty composed during his second/third stints and his rebounding seemed to improve as the game wore on. Certainly seems like a capable backup and maybe even more.

#3 FredCDobbs

• 430 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:28 PM

I'm loving the Steamer!! His movement and lateral quickness are the big surprise, and he's a true big man. Played in a great program at Wisconsin as well. Plus he's starting to swish 17 footers. What's not to love?

#4 RoDaddy

• 1246 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:35 PM

Greg Stiemsma and Brandon Bass have been the best players off the bench for the Celtics. Bass has exceeded expectations in athleticism and shotmaking, but Stiemsma is the real surprise. He's long, he seems to have good lateral quickness, and he's an aggressive weakside shotblocker with good timing. He made his first appearance in the blowout loss in New Orleans with 6 blocks -- even in garbage time that gets noticed.

How are the rest of his skills? He seems to be a competent position rebounder, but I'm not sure about how quick he'll be when rebounding in a crowd. He hasn't dropped many passes, but until getting the start against the Bullets in place of Jermaine, he hadn't been thrown many passes. He made four jump shots and a layup -- if he can convert the basic opportunity from the pass out of the double team, he will be a very useful player for the Celtics.

What do you think of the early-season surprise?

Steimsma was undrafted and waived by a couple of teams already, a very bad sign for an NBA big man since a lot is forgiven when you have that kind of size (Greg Kite being a perfect example). OTOH, he is the perfect size for a center IMO, tall enough given his great shot blocking, and a hefty 260 lbs to boot. He's also has some athleticism, and tonight, even showed surprising offensive skills. Doc was praising him today, and that he luckily dropped out of nowhere to the C's. I remember him saying the same thing about Mikki Moore! So this guy is DEFINITELY a wait and see, but certainly intriquing so far. And there's always the chance that between Europe and the C's, he's matured and improved a lot since the last time he was waived by an NBA team.

#5 Nomar813

• SoSH Member

• 6208 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:40 PM

He's impressed me with his passing as well. He looks very composed and seems to have good court awareness. I love his energy and a big man who can step out to 20 feet and shoot always has some use.

#6 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 20523 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:57 PM

Doing more in the pros than he did at Wisconsin: 10 MPG, 2.7 PPG and 2.3 RPG in four years.

#7 Curtis Pride

• 789 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:06 PM

Doing more in the pros than he did at Wisconsin: 10 MPG, 2.7 PPG and 2.3 RPG in four years.

To be fair the the Stiensman, don't the Badgers play that ultra-conservative, low-scoring, tough defensive style? Although even there he was a backup.

I, too, am intrigued by him. I'll watch him more closely, and hope he develops into a serviceable center. If he does, he'll be a keeper.

#8 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 20523 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:14 PM

To be fair the the Stiensman, don't the Badgers play that ultra-conservative, low-scoring, tough defensive style? Although even there he was a backup.

I, too, am intrigued by him. I'll watch him more closely, and hope he develops into a serviceable center. If he does, he'll be a keeper.

Don't know, never heard of him so I decided to look up his college stats. Looking forward to seeing him play. On the cautious side, didn't Krstic start off pretty well last year?

#9 BannedbyNYYFans.com

• 3087 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:46 AM

I'm torn. The Celtic fan in me loves having him on the roster. But the douchebag in me would thoroughly enjoy it if he was traded to the Cavs so he could be known as "The Cleveland Steamer"

#10 CaptainLaddie

• dj paul pfieffer

• 22564 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:53 AM

I just keep calling him the Real Slim Shady.

#11 smastroyin

• simpering whimperer

• 16406 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:30 AM

All I know is that with JON already nursing a hammy, he is likely to end up with a lot of minutes.

Plenty of guys have looked great for a week or two in this league, so hopefully he keeps it up.

#12 wade boggs chicken dinner

• SoSH Member

• 6591 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:40 AM

I think someone mentioned it in another thread, but apparently he suffered from depression when he was at WI. He was three-time state champion in high school and the #7 ranked center in the 2004 recruiting class by Rivals (behind, interestingly enough, Al Jefferson, who was ranked #1, and Robert Swift, who was ranked third, but ahead of Roy Hibbert, who was ranked #20).

More info from this WEEI article (there is also a click-through interview with him while we was getting ready to play on the US Pan-Am team that doesn't add much).

Some discussion on the Stiemmer from a WI message board.

#13 Lose Remerswaal

• Leaves after the 8th inning

• 22142 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:41 AM

He's got the same timing as Bill Russell

#14 Statman

• 584 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:56 PM

I like the Steamer, but I just don't seem him as a full-time starter as center.

Javale Mcgee, not exactly the second coming of Dwight Howard, starting posting the Steamer and then abused him. I think Steamer is a very good help defender but he's not a great rebounder even with his size and he's a terrible man on man defender. Bynum, Gasol and Howard would drop 50 points on him in a game.

#15 Brickowski

• 3574 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:06 PM

Brandon Hunter also started out like a house afire. Then the rest of the league figured him out. I hope that does not happen to Stiemsma. As for his post defense, well, at least he stayed within himself and did not commit stupid fouls. Also, McGee and the rest of Washington's big people didn't exactly do a great job on Stiemsma, who had 13 points in 21 minutes.

Garnett says that Stiemsma is a hard worker. If he keeps working and improving, he'll become a decent NBA backup center.

Edited by Brickowski, 03 January 2012 - 03:06 PM.

#16 Nomar813

• SoSH Member

• 6208 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:48 PM

The reason he took so long to reach the NBA is that he spent much of his youth trying to kill James Bond:

Posted Image

#17 braudimusprime

• 322 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:01 PM

If he keeps up the good lateral movement and blocks some shots he can serve a purpose. I don't really see another NBA-level skills though.

#18 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 20523 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:34 PM

I think someone mentioned it in another thread, but apparently he suffered from depression when he was at WI.

That can lay you low (no pun intended). Hope he keeps contributing all year.

#19 dbn

• 3066 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:05 PM

He's averaging 8.23 blocks per 48 minutes!

I'm skeptical about his long term prospects with C's, but will be watching home closely when I can. If he can consistently provide decent rebounding and D, he could fill a nice role for them this year.

#20 bowiac

• I've been living a lie.

• 9450 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:18 PM

The reason he took so long to reach the NBA is that he spent much of his youth trying to kill James Bond:

Posted Image

I really wonder at times like these how this happened. Did you just see this movie or something? Why would you make this (accurate) association? You remembered some random henchman from the worst Bond movie of the modern era? Plus - you then ran a google images search (or crazier - had the image already on file??) to find this guy?

The mind boggles.

#21 dbn

• 3066 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:47 PM

I really wonder at times like these how this happened. Did you just see this movie or something? Why would you make this (accurate) association? You remembered some random henchman from the worst Bond movie of the modern era? Plus - you then ran a google images search (or crazier - had the image already on file??) to find this guy?

The mind boggles.

The first thing I thought of when I saw Chris Kaman's new look was "He looks exactly like Bonny 'Prince' Billy". Also: he does.

#22 Dick Pole Upside

• 3314 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:13 PM

I hear Gino is no longer featured at TD Garden.

This is begging for a Steamer block montage on the big screen:

STEAM:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsaTElBljOE

#23 Nomar813

• SoSH Member

• 6208 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:33 PM

The mind boggles.

Even crazierer - a Bing image search. I knew he looked like a Bond villain, so I consulted the James Bond Wiki.

#24 JimBoSox9

• will you be my friend?

• 12220 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:35 PM

I'm optimistic. Talent was never ever his problem. He can shoot a little, pass a little, and block a lot. I think O'Neal is utterly useless so the bar is not high for him to clear to be a contributer. I tend to shit on Doc, but he strikes me as someone who could be a good bet to well handle a mentally fragile player like Stiemsma and get him to maximize his talent.

#25 HomeRunBaker

• sloppy seconds

• 9793 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:34 PM

I'm optimistic. Talent was never ever his problem. He can shoot a little, pass a little, and block a lot. I think O'Neal is utterly useless so the bar is not high for him to clear to be a contributer. I tend to shit on Doc, but he strikes me as someone who could be a good bet to well handle a mentally fragile player like Stiemsma and get him to maximize his talent.

Talent was never his problem? Talent was ALWAYS his problem! He couldn't get off the bench in 4 years at Wisconsin and never avg more than 3/3! He is taking advantage of having had a few extra weeks of pre-season in the D-League along with opponents not having a book on him yet and yes, he is taking advantage of this opportunity by playing very hard. Things he has is size, a sturdy body, and can keep up with the pace of an NBA game for the most part. Offensively his skill level is atrocious for an NBA player aside from a decent standstill touch however due to his size and defense in the paint he has a chance to make some nice NBA paychecks as an 11th-12th man as a big emergency body off the bench which is much more than what was projected out of him 5 years ago when he left Wisconsin. Nice, heartwarming story however if this guy is playing meaningful minutes for your team it is your team that is the problem.

#26 Brickowski

• 3574 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:47 AM

Depends on what skills you are talking about. His offensive skills are marginal. His defensive skills are NBA caliber. Aside from the shotblocking he rebounds pretty well and takes up space in the middle. He still gets confused now and again on defensive rotations, but he is, after all, a rookie.

If he continues to develop he's going to be a legitimate NBA backup center. I hope the Celtics got a team option for a second year.

#27 JimBoSox9

• will you be my friend?

• 12220 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:01 AM

Talent was never his problem? Talent was ALWAYS his problem! He couldn't get off the bench in 4 years at Wisconsin and never avg more than 3/3! He is taking advantage of having had a few extra weeks of pre-season in the D-League along with opponents not having a book on him yet and yes, he is taking advantage of this opportunity by playing very hard. Things he has is size, a sturdy body, and can keep up with the pace of an NBA game for the most part. Offensively his skill level is atrocious for an NBA player aside from a decent standstill touch however due to his size and defense in the paint he has a chance to make some nice NBA paychecks as an 11th-12th man as a big emergency body off the bench which is much more than what was projected out of him 5 years ago when he left Wisconsin. Nice, heartwarming story however if this guy is playing meaningful minutes for your team it is your team that is the problem.

You do realize that he was a top-10 big man recruit coming out of high school, and while at college he almost dropped out because of mental health issues, right?

#28 Grin&MartyBarret

• 3264 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:35 AM

You do realize that he was a top-10 big man recruit coming out of high school, and while at college he almost dropped out because of mental health issues, right?

So were Jon Kreft, Jason Bennett, Tom Herzog, Brian Carlwell, Jerome Habel, and Cyrus McGowan.

#29 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 11316 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:49 AM

And Avery Bradley was one of the best HS recruits of his year. That doesn't mean squat when talking about NBA potential.

#30 fairlee76

• 1474 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:04 AM

I hear Gino is no longer featured at TD Garden.

Gino was on the Jumbotron last night! Good to see him.

#31 JimBoSox9

• will you be my friend?

• 12220 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:18 PM

So were Jon Kreft, Jason Bennett, Tom Herzog, Brian Carlwell, Jerome Habel, and Cyrus McGowan.

Great, you can name examples of top-10 recruits who didn't work out. I can name plenty who did (OJ Mayo, Eric Gordon, and James Harden, JUST from the 2007 SG class). How long do you want to play that game before you realize it's pointless?

There are as many reasons that top-10 recruits don't pan out as there are stars in the sky. Some get hurt. Some have no work ethic. Some are dumb idiots. Often the talent evaluation is just wrong. My point with Stiemsma is that the latter is, in my opinion, definitely not the case, and the reason he's struggled is unusual and specific. If he's straightened out his head, his upside is much higher than your average D-leaguer.

And Avery Bradley was one of the best HS recruits of his year. That doesn't mean squat when talking about NBA potential.

I don't even know how you think this negates my point. In college, Avery Bradley started as a Freshman and scored 11.6 PPG. He came out too early, and in his second year in the NBA is playing 9.3 minutes a night for a playoff team.

#32 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 11316 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:44 PM

Of course it doesn't negate your point but my point is that I wouldn't put ANY stock into a subjective talent evaluation that was conducted almost a decade ago. I view Stiemsma as a dime-a-dozen big man with limited NBA-level skills. Ditto for Avery Bradley.

#33 Grin&MartyBarret

• 3264 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:04 PM

Great, you can name examples of top-10 recruits who didn't work out. I can name plenty who did (OJ Mayo, Eric Gordon, and James Harden, JUST from the 2007 SG class). How long do you want to play that game before you realize it's pointless?

There are as many reasons that top-10 recruits don't pan out as there are stars in the sky. Some get hurt. Some have no work ethic. Some are dumb idiots. Often the talent evaluation is just wrong. My point with Stiemsma is that the latter is, in my opinion, definitely not the case, and the reason he's struggled is unusual and specific. If he's straightened out his head, his upside is much higher than your average D-leaguer.

I don't even know how you think this negates my point. In college, Avery Bradley started as a Freshman and scored 11.6 PPG. He came out too early, and in his second year in the NBA is playing 9.3 minutes a night for a playoff team.

Given all the reasons that top 10 recruits don't pan out, I find it a bit ridiculous that you seem to have zeroed in on the reason Stiemsma didn't pan out so easily. Look, you offer a decent hypothesis, but the idea that his issues with anxiety and depression are the sole reason he struggled in college/Turkey/Korea is far from proven. It's just as possible that his depression stemmed from the fact that he was ranked so highly coming out of high school, but ended up being, you know, bad.

But that wasn't really my point. My point was that scouting 17 year-olds is particularly difficult when it comes to big men, as often merely being 7'0 tall and having a frame that might fill out is enough to land you on everybody's top 100 list. And further, the idea that because Stiemsma was a highly rated big man recruit coming out of high school somehow makes him unique for the D-League is simply wrong. Year to year, the D-League is full of guys just like that. Over the last two years, without even looking it up, I can tell you that Soloman Alabi, Hamady N'Diaye, Hassan Whiteside, Brian Zoubek, Byron Mullens, Cole Adrich, Brian Butch, and Daniel Orton were all highly recruited, highly rated centers coming out of high school who spent time in the D-League. Stiemsma is just not a particularly unique player, and his ceiling is as a decent backup center, just like pretty much every other center in the D-League.

#34 wade boggs chicken dinner

• SoSH Member

• 6591 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:31 PM

I view Stiemsma as a dime-a-dozen big man with limited NBA-level skills. Ditto for Avery Bradley.

There is a difference, as Danny is fond of pointing out, of dime-a-dozen NBA wannabes with no NBA-ready skills and someone who can do one or two things really well on the NBA level.

I understand that having a NBA-level skill doesn't necessarily mean NBA success, but certainly there have been some people who have parlayed that into a career.

I think Stiemsma and Bradley have a chance to have NBA careers and obviously, Stiemsma is much more likely than Bradley.

That's much different than a lot of the hyped prospects mentioned above.

#35 slamminsammya

• 397 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:40 PM

Really silly, but right now Greg Stiemsma leads the NBA in Block Percentage at 12.2%. Just a funny little thing we can all laugh at at the end of the season.

#36 JimBoSox9

• will you be my friend?

• 12220 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:29 PM

Given all the reasons that top 10 recruits don't pan out, I find it a bit ridiculous that you seem to have zeroed in on the reason Stiemsma didn't pan out so easily. Look, you offer a decent hypothesis, but the idea that his issues with anxiety and depression are the sole reason he struggled in college/Turkey/Korea is far from proven. It's just as possible that his depression stemmed from the fact that he was ranked so highly coming out of high school, but ended up being, you know, bad.

But that wasn't really my point. My point was that scouting 17 year-olds is particularly difficult when it comes to big men, as often merely being 7'0 tall and having a frame that might fill out is enough to land you on everybody's top 100 list. And further, the idea that because Stiemsma was a highly rated big man recruit coming out of high school somehow makes him unique for the D-League is simply wrong. Year to year, the D-League is full of guys just like that. Over the last two years, without even looking it up, I can tell you that Soloman Alabi, Hamady N'Diaye, Hassan Whiteside, Brian Zoubek, Byron Mullens, Cole Adrich, Brian Butch, and Daniel Orton were all highly recruited, highly rated centers coming out of high school who spent time in the D-League. Stiemsma is just not a particularly unique player, and his ceiling is as a decent backup center, just like pretty much every other center in the D-League.

Read my first post in the thread and then come back here and tell me how the bolded isn't a perfect example of a straw man. I brought up the top-10 thing only in response to HRB's erroneous assertion that Stiemsma is here because he's a hardworking overachiver. He's not. The man has NBA-level tools and was never able to maximize them, and there's at least a chance he wasn't able to because of a specific issue. Because of my views on his natural ability, his pedigree, and the possible nature of why he was unable to break through in college, I am higher on his upside than I would be of a run-of-the-mill D-league retread. You obviously are not. YMMV.

#37 Grin&MartyBarret

• 3264 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:41 PM

Read my first post in the thread and then come back here and tell me how the bolded isn't a perfect example of a straw man. I brought up the top-10 thing only in response to HRB's erroneous assertion that Stiemsma is here because he's a hardworking overachiver. He's not. The man has NBA-level tools and was never able to maximize them, and there's at least a chance he wasn't able to because of a specific issue. Because of my views on his natural ability, his pedigree, and the possible nature of why he was unable to break through in college, I am higher on his upside than I would be of a run-of-the-mill D-league retread. You obviously are not. YMMV.

Yeah, we're just gonna have to agree to disagree here. I don't really see the NBA level tools, which I think is at the core of our disagreement. Either way, for his sake it'd be great if you were right. He'd be a good story and a good thing for the growth of the D-League.

#38 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 11316 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:42 PM

There is a difference, as Danny is fond of pointing out, of dime-a-dozen NBA wannabes with no NBA-ready skills and someone who can do one or two things really well on the NBA level.

I understand that having a NBA-level skill doesn't necessarily mean NBA success, but certainly there have been some people who have parlayed that into a career.

I think Stiemsma and Bradley have a chance to have NBA careers and obviously, Stiemsma is much more likely than Bradley.

That's much different than a lot of the hyped prospects mentioned above.

That's probably why he chose JR Giddens over DeAndre Jordan. But when perimeter defense is the only NBA-level skill you have, especially when you're a guard/wing, you have very little margin for error with respect to an NBA career. This is why I'm so bearish on Avery Bradley. If you're a 6'2 guard and you can't fucking dribble or shoot, you're useless to most teams.

#39 JimBoSox9

• will you be my friend?

• 12220 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:58 PM

Yeah, we're just gonna have to agree to disagree here. I don't really see the NBA level tools, which I think is at the core of our disagreement. Either way, for his sake it'd be great if you were right. He'd be a good story and a good thing for the growth of the D-League.

I'll isolate it even more. There's obviously the shot-blocking skill which is NBA-level. So far this year his FG% is 57%, and I think that number holds up. He can finish OK around the basket and for a center the range on his shot is above-average. There's a reason Rivers had him stand up in front of the team and repeat "I'm Greg Stiemsma and I'm a shooter" - he can make them. If I'm right there, that gives him an NBA-level skill at each end of the court. I'll pre-emptively grant that a center with a nice midrange shot isn't what this team needs opposite Garnett in the frontcourt, but this discussion has never been about his fit on the Celtics in particular.

#40 JakeRae

• SoSH Member

• 5277 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:36 PM

I'll isolate it even more. There's obviously the shot-blocking skill which is NBA-level. So far this year his FG% is 57%, and I think that number holds up. He can finish OK around the basket and for a center the range on his shot is above-average. There's a reason Rivers had him stand up in front of the team and repeat "I'm Greg Stiemsma and I'm a shooter" - he can make them. If I'm right there, that gives him an NBA-level skill at each end of the court. I'll pre-emptively grant that a center with a nice midrange shot isn't what this team needs opposite Garnett in the frontcourt, but this discussion has never been about his fit on the Celtics in particular.

As a general rule, I'd much prefer a guy who can score from a distance to a guy who can score at the rim, provided they are similarly efficient. The former spaces the floor and pulls defenders out of the paint. So, I'd disagree about the fit with KG.

If you can build a roster of bigs who can shoot from 15-20 feet, the other teams shot blockers cannot hang out in the lane and Rondo becomes a much more effective offensive player with his ability to dribble penetrate but inability to finish against good help defense. Or, the opposing defense helps, Rondo dishes, and someone gets a high percentage open shot.

If Stiemsma can make open mid-range shots consistently and can continue to contribute on the defensive end, he is exactly what this team needs. Based on his limited NBA minutes so far, I'm not willing to jump on the bandwagon and say he can do either of those things yet, let alone both. But, what we've seen so far is exactly the player this roster needs with the exception of the fact that Stiemsma looks over-matched when asked to play individual defense against bigs with real offensive games. I'm hopeful that with a combination of solid coaching, work ethic, and the help of KG, Stiemsma can mature into a solid rotation big for this team as the season progresses. He's got a lot more potential than the retreads that we've been flipping through since PJ Brown, at the very least.

Edited by JakeRae, 05 January 2012 - 05:36 PM.

#41 Grin&MartyBarret

• 3264 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:50 PM

Maybe you're right. But we're talking about a guy that's taken 8 career shots from 10 feet or more, and since there's no such thing as a website that collects advanced stats for the D-League, I'm gonna hold off on praising his shooting skills until there's a sample size that's worth making a judgment on.

#42 HomeRunBaker

• sloppy seconds

• 9793 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:47 AM

95% of college students suffer from anxiety and depression. I'm sure much of it had to do with his inability to play college basketball at a high level after being overhyped. I wasn't really criticizing Stiemsma's game, it is very nice for a lumbering big who has never played successfully at a high level over the past decade to make an NBA team and actually show NBA defensive ability even though it was against some of the worst teams the league has to offer. That is still the ultimate overachieving!

#43 slamminsammya

• 397 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:35 AM

Maybe you're right. But we're talking about a guy that's taken 8 career shots from 10 feet or more, and since there's no such thing as a website that collects advanced stats for the D-League, I'm gonna hold off on praising his shooting skills until there's a sample size that's worth making a judgment on.

Au contraire:

http://www.basketbal...stiemgr01d.html

eFG% of .541 last year. Sure it doesnt have breakdowns of shot type, but the stats are pretty thorough.

#44 swingin val

• 977 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:10 AM

95% of college students suffer from anxiety and depression. I'm sure much of it had to do with his inability to play college basketball at a high level after being overhyped.

There is a difference between what 95% of college students refer to as anxiety and depression and what a clinical diagnosis of depression is.

#45 Grin&MartyBarret

• 3264 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:24 AM

Au contraire:

http://www.basketbal...stiemgr01d.html

eFG% of .541 last year. Sure it doesnt have breakdowns of shot type, but the stats are pretty thorough.

Yeah, but shot type is what I'm looking for. Given that the discussion is about his skills as a shooter, we'd need to know where the shots were taken from. I was looking to see how he shot from 16-23 feet, etc.

#46 CaptainLaddie

• dj paul pfieffer

• 22564 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:16 PM

95% of college students suffer from anxiety and depression. I'm sure much of it had to do with his inability to play college basketball at a high level after being overhyped. I wasn't really criticizing Stiemsma's game, it is very nice for a lumbering big who has never played successfully at a high level over the past decade to make an NBA team and actually show NBA defensive ability even though it was against some of the worst teams the league has to offer. That is still the ultimate overachieving!

Well, no.

#47 Riles335

• Defiantly Definite

• 506 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:30 PM

Yeah, but shot type is what I'm looking for. Given that the discussion is about his skills as a shooter, we'd need to know where the shots were taken from. I was looking to see how he shot from 16-23 feet, etc.

I know its still not what your looking for but his 82.1 percent from the line would likely suggest that he has a half way decent shot from the outside.

#48 HomeRunBaker

• sloppy seconds

• 9793 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:14 PM

I saw one of his NBDL games this fall during the lockout and he never looked at the basket except when completely unguarded off a rotation or a rebound but does seem to have a nice touch from the foul line. He was invisible offensively against terrible players (the quality of the NBDL is very bad) but was a major factor against same terrible players defensively.

#49 Statman

• 584 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:44 PM

The Steamer just had his contract guaranteed for the rest of the season.

Danny Ainge, Boston's president of basketball operations, told CSNNE.com that the C's will not waive Stiemsma, thus making his contract guaranteed for this season.

"We like Greg," Ainge said in a phone interview Tuesday afternoon. "He's played well for us. His teammates like him, and the coaches trust him. He's done a good job for us, and has been a good fit."

http://www.csnne.com...?blockID=646926

#50 slamminsammya

• 397 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:56 AM

Interesting article today on ESPN about the Stiemsman. http://espn.go.com/b...g-stiemsma-rise
I had no idea this guy was being such a trooper with all these injuries. Playing on what is basically a broken foot AND plantar fasciititititspelling? And he is second only to Serge Iblocka in blocks per 48 minutes. The Celtics currently allow 95 points per 100 possessions with Stiemsma on the floor, and the team average is 97/100 (source). Given his current incredible foul rate, he could turn into a truly elite defender if he learns how to better position himself. On the other hand, I wonder how much the fouling and blocks go hand in hand, since maybe a lot of his fouls (and this seems to be subjectively true to some extent) come from mistimed block attempts.