Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Yanks sign Andruw Jones

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 16567 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:46 PM

According to Heyman on Twitter, $2M base, $1.4M in incentives, pending a physical. Maybe Cashman felt some urgency finally with the Reddick/Kalish developments in Boston's RF.

https://twitter.com/#!/JonHeymanCBS/status/152850424486047744
link to tweet

#2 crow216

• SoSH Member

• 5623 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:54 PM

Happy about this. Jones was good for us last year and didn't make a peep.

#3 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 15804 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:55 PM

Big blow to Boston's platoon in right field. IMO, Jones was the perfect fit.

#4 EvilEmpire

• 4380 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 04:04 PM

Glad to see this happen. I thought for sure that Boston was going to pick him up.

#5 terrynever

• SoSH Member

• 5719 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 04:07 PM

According to Heyman on Twitter, $2M base, $1.4M in incentives, pending a physical. Maybe Cashman felt some urgency finally with the Reddick/Kalish developments in Boston's RF.

link to tweet
link to tweet

Good point. Normally, Cashman and crew are on vacation this week.

#6 Rough Carrigan

• reasons within Reason

• 16521 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 04:28 PM

Good signing. He was a solid role player last year. .247/.356/.495 is pretty tasty from a platoon bench guy, especially one who's still a decent fielder.

#7 The_Powa_of_Seiji_Ozawa

• 4099 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 04:39 PM

link to tweet
link to tweet

I wonder if the salary, as low as it is even with the incentives kicking in, made Jones prohibitive for Boston.

#8 Manramsclan

• 1958 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 05:19 PM

I wonder if the salary, as low as it is even with the incentives kicking in, made Jones prohibitive for Boston.

I wonder too, especially since they would've likely had to outbid the Yankees for his services in order to leave New York for the same role(all things being equal).

#9 Savin Hillbilly

• SoSH Member

• 11242 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 05:54 PM

I have a hard time believing that the Sox would have balked at matching or beating $2M+ for Jones if they wanted him. I think this means that either they didn't want him, or they never got a chance to match the offer (which admittedly doesn't sound much like Boras).

#10 Hee-Seop's Fable

• 1264 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:08 PM

I have a hard time believing that the Sox would have balked at matching or beating $2M+ for Jones if they wanted him. I think this means that either they didn't want him, or they never got a chance to match the offer (which admittedly doesn't sound much like Boras).

The $1.4M in incentives, if make-able, could be significant. It sounds like Jones was happy as a Yankee and with his role there, so getting him to move across the aisle would have had to have required a trumping offer. Hopefully for Sox fans it's because Cherington is focused on spending that money on another pitcher instead. I've been trying to figure out where exactly the Sox stand wrt the luxury tax cap, and if it is within $5M or so, even Jones' salary could be a deal breaker. I can't see the Sox going over the limit by a small margin if they can avoid it. Have to assume they'll fight for that last million or so in the interests of resetting the tax rate. They've got a tough choice whether blowing past it is worth it relative to the chance to exceed it later on at a lower penalty.

#11 BucketOBalls

• SoSH Member

• 5644 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:12 PM

Or Jones just didn't feel like moving again and the Sox didn't want to pony up enough to overcome that. He's made enough in his career that these contracts really don't matter all that much overall, so he may not have felt it was worth it to move again(or even move his winter residence) for an extra .5-1 million.

#12 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 16567 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 01:12 PM

"Andruw had offers of a higher base salary from some other clubs," said the source. "But he took less money to return to the Yankees. He had a good experience there last season and wanted to come back."

http://espn.go.com/n...ck-andruw-jones

#13 terrynever

• SoSH Member

• 5719 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 01:42 PM

"Andruw had offers of a higher base salary from some other clubs," said the source. "But he took less money to return to the Yankees. He had a good experience there last season and wanted to come back."

http://espn.go.com/n...ck-andruw-jones

Jones spent a lot of time playing against Valentine's Mets teams. I wonder if that factored into his decision at all?

Edited by terrynever, 31 December 2011 - 01:42 PM.

#14 melonbag

• 133 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:34 AM

Boras is getting soft...