Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Miami Marlins - If you build it, will they come?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 bschase2

• 76 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 03:24 PM

So, the Miami Marlins will finally have their new ballpark; 3 owners and 1 government inquiry later (http://www.miamihera...m-feds-are.html). Ownership is convinced that the new stadium will finally turn around embarrassing attendance records (http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance). While some have said that the Marlins have been one of the most profitable franchises in baseball (http://articles.sun-...nt-david-samson), this is the year they have come out of hiding and spent some money. A complete transaction list for this off season can be found here http://sportsillustr...ansactions.html (including old friend Nick Green to a minor league deal), but they made headlines by signing Jose Reyes, Heath Bell, and Mark Buehrle to big money contracts. They were also in on both Albert Pujols and C. J Wilson (who both signed with the Angels).

Oh yes, they also really wanted Ozzie Guillen to manage this team. Who knows why, but they went out and made that happen as well.

Winners of the World Series in 1997 and 2003, but usually bad, many in South Florida were on cloud 9 during December, simply because the Marlins were a national story with all the money they were throwing around. Will it lead to another Championship? They play in a tough division with both the Phillies and the Braves, and last year they finished last (behind even the Mets) so, even with these signings, the division will be a tall order. OTOH, they also have two of the best young players in baseball, in Josh Johnson (coming back from injury) and Mike Stanton. Stranger things have happened...

#2 bschase2

• 76 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 02:06 PM

Hanley decides 3rd base is OK after all.

http://www.miamihera...mirez-says.html

#3 bschase2

• 76 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:13 AM

Another pitcher for Miami? Theo cleaning house. Zambrano to Miami for Chris Volstad (pending physicals).

http://espn.go.com/c...o-miami-marlins

#4 Rovin Romine

• 2951 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:52 PM

There's a huge problem brewing that no one has really discussed, as far as I know. I lived just across the Miami River from that neighborhood for 4 years, which included the final year of the Orange Bowl. (The Marlin's new stadium is built on the old Orange bowl site.)

Take a look at the google maps placement for the stadium: http://maps.google.c...8252 -80.219793

(If the link does not work, it's the big block just to the SE of the intersection of NW 7th St and NW 17th Ave in Miami. Specifically, a neighborhood called Little Havanna.)

The problem, or, I should type "The PROBLEM," is getting people to and from the staduim. I just don't see how they are going to do it, even with parking garrages on site.

The old Orange Bowl was filled up largely with college students and young alums/fans who were willing to take public transportation (an above ground train) and walk, or they'd drive and tailgate. Zoom out a couple of clicks on google maps and look to the NE. There are two stops - one in the Jackson Hospital Complex, and one called Culmer. When the Orange Bowl was hosting a game, people would park their cars north of the river and walk over. Or they would Metro in and walk over the NW 12th Ave Bridge. The neighborhoods literally filled up with cars.

I'm predicting that the demographic that the Marlins will draw will not be the college student walk/tailgate type. Furthermore, Miami gets HOT in the summer (duh). What that means is not much incentive for someone in regular post-work clothes to Metro and sweat their way over the bridge to see a game (as opposed to someone in weekend clothing headed out to tailgate all day.)

As far as people driving to and parking at the stadium itself? Traffic in Miami is pretty bad to begin with. Locate the Dolphin Expressway (runs east west just north of the stadium). The Dolphin is the only way you can easily access 95 North. It's also the easiest way to South Beach and the major hotels. Even worse, the Dolphin bottlenecks at the 95 intersection with only one left handed exit ramp (elevated, so widening it would be a bitch) that lets you access 95 north. That exit ramp is several hundred feet long. Even in regular rush hour the thing is a complete mess.

Lets assume you live in North Miami, or in Ft. Lauderdale or even Boca. These are your options if you want to drive.
1) park north of the river, schelp over the bridge, walk back to the car, drive over a mile through very bad neighborhoods and access 95 North from another more northerly entrance.
2) park south of the river (in the garrages or not), wait in line to cross one of three bridges (all draw bridges - and it's a heavily used river). You can then choose cross town driving or the Dophin bottleneck to access 95.

So basically, if you live in the neighborhood, you're OK. If you live south and west, you're OK (up to a point - traffic is pretty bad anyway.) If you live north of the river, I predict commuting will be a significant deterrant after the first couple times you do it. If you zoom out to the 10 mile view, you can see that the stadium is going to be easily accessable only to about 1/4 of the Metro area. Some areas SW of the stadium like Coconut Grove and Coral Gables will have residents with the money to pay high ticket prices. Little Havanna, Overtown, not so much.

The worst part is that there's no easy way in for tourists on Miami Beach and points north. It's a nightmare. You could rent a car and suffer the traffic, but there's no public transportation beyond city busses to get you from the beach to the Mainland. So the average tourist could take a cab (super expensive), or city bus it to a metro stop, walk over the bridge and then back. (I'm guessing that's a hour plus commute).

Who knows what will happen? Maybe the Marlins will bus people in from the beach. (Shuttle Buses from the Metro stops are almost a must.) At this point though, I'm not really optimistic about people actually sitting in the seats for games. It'll be full to start, but I'm curious to see what it looks like mid-season.

#5 bschase2

• 76 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:09 AM

The location of the stadium seemed to be an issue for everyone but the Marlins brass. Basically every paper, radio station, and government entities saw that this location didn't seem to make a lot of sense. Even when other possible locations were suggested, the Marlins said they wouldn't work (usually without providing any reason). They decided this was the only location that worked Perhaps they know something we don't, but I complete agree with what you are saying. I live in Palm Beach County. I used to go a few games a year (not a lot because the old stadium as SO bad). Now I am I not even sure it is worth the hassel for even one.

#6 mikeford

• woolwich!

• 17299 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 04:57 PM

Posted Image

#7 E5 Yaz

• Transcends message boarding

• 25556 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:47 PM

Edited by E5 Yaz, 10 February 2012 - 05:49 PM.

#8 mikeford

• woolwich!

• 17299 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:21 PM

Posted ImagePosted Image

#9 SemperFidelisSox

• suzyn

• 10483 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:46 PM

This park looks like a Miami drug lord's house.

#10 Tyrone Biggums

• nfl meets tri-annually at a secret country mansion in colorado,

• 3516 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:25 PM

This park looks like a Miami drug lord's house.

Are they going to fly a blimp over the stadium during the 7th inning stretch bearing the slogan "The World is Yours"?

#11 Tyrone Biggums

• nfl meets tri-annually at a secret country mansion in colorado,

• 3516 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:27 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZch2jIMVtk

Jesus, what amusement park did they steal that from?...That's just obnoxious. Since I moved down here I'm actually going to opening day, so I'm going to get to see how obnoxious this place truly is.

Edited by Tyrone Biggums, 21 February 2012 - 07:28 PM.

#12 Kilgore A. Trout

• My Little Pony Tale

• 13634 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:19 PM

Posted Image

I cannot wait for the hour long game delay when that gets shattered by a foul ball.
I don't care what they made it out of or how thick it is. We all know that it is gonna happen sooner or later.

#13 msfl96

• 17 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:45 AM

The problem that they're going to have is attracting enough fans to make profit. Miami fans are notoriously bandwagoning (just look at the average attendee of a Heat game), and South Florida also has a huge population of retirees and immigrants, so a huge portion of the baseball fans in the area root for the Yankees or the Sox. I feel as thought the whole Floridian baseball movement has been proven to fail; the Rays barely sold out their PLAYOFF games, and get abysmal ratings for a team that wrested the Sox from the playoffs. Overall, I feel like this is money going to waste on the part of Jeffrey Loria.

#14 BucketOBalls

• SoSH Member

• 5644 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 01:34 AM

The problem that they're going to have is attracting enough fans to make profit. Miami fans are notoriously bandwagoning (just look at the average attendee of a Heat game), and South Florida also has a huge population of retirees and immigrants, so a huge portion of the baseball fans in the area root for the Yankees or the Sox. I feel as thought the whole Floridian baseball movement has been proven to fail; the Rays barely sold out their PLAYOFF games, and get abysmal ratings for a team that wrested the Sox from the playoffs. Overall, I feel like this is money going to waste on the part of Jeffrey Loria.

At least Loria is spending money in a way that might help the team, rather than what he was doing(keeping it), which definetly would not.

#15 cwright

• 2325 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:18 AM

The slugger formerly known as Mike Stanton actually prefers his first name, Giancarlo.

Giancarlo Cruz Michael Stanton

#16 Raftery

• 22 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:33 AM

#17 TomRicardo

• rusty cohlebone

• 18012 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:00 AM

I cannot wait for the hour long game delay when that gets shattered by a foul ball.
I don't care what they made it out of or how thick it is. We all know that it is gonna happen sooner or later.

Don't worry they had Gaby Sanchez whip baseballs at it to test it... yes they actually did.

Miami is becoming the new Natstown

#18 TomRicardo

• rusty cohlebone

• 18012 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:03 AM

GO MIAMI DEALERS!

#19 loafasaur

• 1 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:16 AM

Wow. The uni's I can take, but.... Is anybody else calling it the Fish Bowl yet?

Longtime lurker