Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

SOSH

Happy Patriots Day.  I expect some heavy usage today so please if there are any problems just let me know via twitter @sonsofsamhorn.  thanks folks.  nip

Photo

2011-12 Miami Heat: I'd Rather See Them Flame Out

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

#1 Curtis Pride

• 721 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:36 AM

Alternatively I could call them Douche City.

Anyway, after last night's game against the Celtics, I'm thinking that Norris Cole might be the piece that puts them over the top. Unless someone Gilhooleys him. Or Wade. Or LeBron. Well, if anyone wants to discuss all things Heat, please feel free to post here.

#2 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 10212 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:03 AM

Alternatively I could call them Douche City.

Anyway, after last night's game against the Celtics, I'm thinking that Norris Cole might be the piece that puts them over the top. Unless someone Gilhooleys him. Or Wade. Or LeBron. Well, if anyone wants to discuss all things Heat, please feel free to post here.

I'm not sold on their ability to execute in the half court. The Celtics' zone was very effective against them and LeBron was already turtling up in the 2nd game of the season. This team is still very beatable.

#3 knucklecup

• hi, I'm a cuckold

• 3883 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:16 AM

A healthy Haslem is more important than Cole. More contribution out of Bosh is important as well.

Is Chalmers really never going to be given a chance again? Is Cole really not going to have off nights?

#4 TrapperAB

• 1088 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:00 PM

The Heat will win the NBA title this year -- easily. Bodies in their prime, a solid bench, with a compressed schedule...

I do not like this.

#5 knucklecup

• hi, I'm a cuckold

• 3883 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:10 PM

They're really good. I wouldn't bet my life on them not winning it all again this year.

#6 Jed Zeppelin

• SoSH Member

• 14926 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:48 PM

The Heat will win the NBA title this year -- easily. Bodies in their prime, a solid bench, with a compressed schedule...

I do not like this.

They are still missing an inside game. I could easily see the same issues biting them in the ass again come playoff time. Obviously they almost won it all with that problem but Norris Cole isn't the reason to suddenly be more afraid of them; the reason to be more afraid is the lack of competition. They're probably going to be the only juggernaut-looking team entering the playoffs. When they get there and the game tightens up and slows down, I'm not convinced the same thing as last night and last year won't keep happening - no offensive game plan and a bunch of wild jumpers while the other team executes.

#7 AMS25

• 910 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:54 PM

I do not like this.

There are always injuries, I suppose.... Not that I'm wishing career-ending injuries on anyone. Season-ending maybe, but never career-ending.....

#8 lars10

• 1826 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:52 PM

They are still missing an inside game. I could easily see the same issues biting them in the ass again come playoff time. Obviously they almost won it all with that problem but Norris Cole isn't the reason to suddenly be more afraid of them; the reason to be more afraid is the lack of competition. They're probably going to be the only juggernaut-looking team entering the playoffs. When they get there and the game tightens up and slows down, I'm not convinced the same thing as last night and last year won't keep happening - no offensive game plan and a bunch of wild jumpers while the other team executes.

This is the weirdest part about the heat. For three quarters they go to the basket and get a foul call on more or less every trip.
In the fourth quarter they stop and start taking fadeaways and outside jumpers. This seemed to be a pattern in the playoffs and last night.

Lebron and Wade are turtles. They throw up wild shots in the fourth quarter and look at the ref with exasperation when they don't get a foul call.
Last years run was fueled by games where the Heat had +20 free throws on their competition. The heat have to get these foul calls currently.

Both stars need to get stronger mentally...they're not closers and it seems like the NBA is desperate for them to get anywhere close to 1/2 of the balls and gusto that jordan had.

Edited by lars10, 28 December 2011 - 01:53 PM.

#9 lars10

• 1826 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:56 PM

There is also absolutely nothing to like about this Heat team as far as I can tell. I don't have anywhere close to the respect for Lebron or Wade that I had for Malone/Barkley/Dr J or Magic/Cooper/Worthy/Abdul Jabbar etc. Maybe I'm a Boston homer..but I don't think these two teams have been allowed to play on a level field either last night or last years playoffs.

#10 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 10212 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:07 PM

There is also absolutely nothing to like about this Heat team as far as I can tell. I don't have anywhere close to the respect for Lebron or Wade that I had for Malone/Barkley/Dr J or Magic/Cooper/Worthy/Abdul Jabbar etc. Maybe I'm a Boston homer..but I don't think these two teams have been allowed to play on a level field either last night or last years playoffs.

They had a level playing field for the NBA Finals. And they lost. Against the Bulls and Celtics, the Heat got more than their share of calls, which really helped them. I think the most even officiating you'd ever see would be a Knicks/Heat playoff series. Stern and his minions would be so conflicted.

#11 swingin val

• 880 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:18 PM

Both stars need to get stronger mentally...they're not closers

Good god. I get that some of you folks dont like the Heat, but give me a fucking break.

Lebron James is 26 years old and has played in 92 playoff games in his 8 years in the league. No, he hasn't won a championship, but I think everyone can agree that last year was his first real chance with a team. And even that team had some serious flaws (as has been pointed out over and over on this board).

And in case toy missed it, Dwyane Wade has won a championship. And after being down 2 games to none to Dallas in that series, he put up 42, 36, 43, and 36 points to lead them to that championship and win finals MVP.

#12 lars10

• 1826 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:35 PM

And in case toy missed it, Dwyane Wade has won a championship. And after being down 2 games to none to Dallas in that series, he put up 42, 36, 43, and 36 points to lead them to that championship and win finals MVP.

I'm just calling it as I see it... Lebron and Wade were passing up shots last night to a rookie..(who was admittedly hitting shots) and the shots they were taking were not going in.
But they also failed down the stretch in several games in last years playoffs... Lebron gave up against the C's with the Cavs. I think there is plenty of anecdotal evidence to show that these two have failed quite often when it's mattered. I'm not comparing them to normal players..I'm comparing them to players like Jordan when I say they need to get stronger....i don't think that's unfair

I think people point to Miami's championship as one of the worst officiated finals ever. Here's some more stats for DWade:
FTM/A for Wade - FT Miami - FT Dallas
G1 6/10 - 19 - 26
G2 11/14 - 32 - 28
G3 13/18 - 34 - 26
G4 8/9 - 36 - 27
G5 21/25 - 49 - 25
G6 16/21 - 37 - 23

He had a great series no doubt..but he got a call almost every single time he went to the hoop.

edit: 21 not 32 in game 6

Edited by lars10, 28 December 2011 - 06:02 PM.

#13 LESDL

• armed against all shadows

• 1515 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:50 PM

Good God yourself. Do you remember the star treatment he got during those games? Every time someone got near him he was given two foul shots. It was absolutely ridiculous.

The NBA wasn't ready for the Mavs and Cuban to win back then. And it showed.

#14 swingin val

• 880 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:55 PM

Good God yourself. Do you remember the star treatment he got during those games? Every time someone got near him he was given two foul shots. It was absolutely ridiculous.

The NBA wasn't ready for the Mavs and Cuban to win back then. And it showed.

A star player got star treatment? No shit

#15 lars10

• 1826 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:58 PM

They had a level playing field for the NBA Finals. And they lost. Against the Bulls and Celtics, the Heat got more than their share of calls, which really helped them. I think the most even officiating you'd ever see would be a Knicks/Heat playoff series. Stern and his minions would be so conflicted.

Just lookin back at that C's Heat series (FTA):
G1 +14 in Miami - (W +9)
G2 +14 in Miami (W +11)
G3 +2 in Boston (L-16)
G4 -1 in Boston (W +8)
G5 +18 in Miami (W+10)
+47 FTAs for the series. I realize Miami is more athletic..they're just not that much more athletic.

They also had +29 on Chicago which makes less sense if the argument is athleticism.

These are the numbers that make me question what's going on with the NBA.

#16 lars10

• 1826 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 03:00 PM

In the final two games of the series DWade had almost as many free throw makes as the entire Mavericks team had free throw attempts.. I think that's a bit more than star treatment.

edit: stat correction

Edited by lars10, 28 December 2011 - 03:01 PM.

#17 LESDL

• armed against all shadows

• 1515 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 03:01 PM

Don't be an ass. It wasn't just star treatment, it was gifting to the Nth degree. And it was obvious and deliberate and disgusting.

#18 Grin&MartyBarret

• 2771 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 03:01 PM

Well, it took 2 games this season for every thread in this forum to become a discussion about NBA refereeing. Usually nobody starts paying attention until the playoffs.

Serious suggestion: Can we try to contain the discussion of officiating to a single thread? Every thread around here ends up being a discussion of foul shot differential and instructions sent to referees from on high. It becomes extremely tiresome to read.

#19 Ed Hillel

• Wants to be startin somethin

• 38351 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:53 PM

G5 21/25 - 49 - 25
G6 16/32 - 37 - 23

Holy Mother of God. 57 FTA in 2 games!? LOL I remember it being awful, but that's just mind numbing. Dallas had 48 combined, 9 less than Wade alone.

#20 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 10212 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 05:20 PM

Holy Mother of God. 57 FTA in 2 games!? LOL I remember it being awful, but that's just mind numbing. Dallas had 48 combined, 9 less than Wade alone.

Wade took 21 FTs in Game 6 that year, not 32. Obviously, 46 FTs over 2 games is still ridiculous.

#21 lars10

• 1826 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:02 PM

Wade took 21 FTs in Game 6 that year, not 32. Obviously, 46 FTs over 2 games is still ridiculous.

you're right...my fingers were over a key.. was getting box scores from espn one game at a time.

#22 TrapperAB

• 1088 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:37 PM

True, their inside game is thin... but LeBron is getting more comfortable in the post, which will help in the half-court slow-down of the postseason, and they've got length and size in Bosh and Haslem.

With two of the top 5-10 players in the league -- in their prime -- and a solid supporting cast, I just see them running roughshod over the league.

Playoffs are a different beast, but a dysfunctional Heat team got within two wins of the title last year -- they're better this year, and the compressed schedule gives them an additional edge (IMHO, obv).

I really, really hope I'm wrong.

#23 Ed Hillel

• Wants to be startin somethin

• 38351 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:14 AM

Is Haslem not an inside presence on defense? Honest question, I haven't seen too much of him. He looked a bit like KG offensively last year in the playoffs, at least in style, but I don't remember his defensive game.

Anyway, I'd be shocked if that interior defense wasn't addressed by the deadline by someone at least passable. Either way, these guys aren't losing a 7-game series to anyone unless Wade or LeBron goes down. They have too much talent and get too much help.

Edited by Ed Hillel, 29 December 2011 - 08:37 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users