Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

how to connect new blu ray player to internet?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 Tony C

• SoSH Member

• 8,931 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:45 PM

Don't see a topic here on this, and googling for help I see plenty of people with similar problems to what I have, but not finding any answers that work for me. Any help here? The situation is:

1: just bought a panasonic BDT210 Blu Ray player
2: need to hook it up to internet so can upgrade firmware and use netflix, etc.
3: get through the set up fine, including a 'pass' on wireless setting and a pass on IP address setting, but the 3rd check is 'connection to gateway' and get a fail there.
4: the only "help" it offers is "IP address is only available within the home network, the internet functions are not available. Please check the hub and broadband router settings.
5: my router is an apple airport 802.11g (and earlier during the set up I did get a message that 11n was optimal, and 11g would be slow)
6: i've changed the IP address manually both to what is shown in 'whatismyipaddress.com' and what is shown as my IPv4 address under the airport utilty. Neither changed anything.
7: the gateway is empty in the panasonic set up panel, so put in the router # there, but that didn't help.

So...not quite sure where to go from here. Any suggestions?

#2 Bucknahs Bum Ankle

• SoSH Member

• 8,489 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 04:01 PM

I just went through this with my Panny tv and had the same problem. Had to get the exact IP address, Gateway, and DNS settings from my router and enter those manually. Also if your router IP address is something like 192.168.100.101 make the IP address for you Blu Ray player something like 192.168.100.120 so that it's not on the same port or whatever as your computer, laptop, or other other wireless devices. I'm far from an expert at this stuff, but that's how I eventually got mine to work after a bit of futzing around. Good luck!

Forgot to mention, if it still doesn't work you might have to do something with "port forwarding" via your router. I had to go through that to get my PS3 hooked up a couple years ago. You can google around for information on how to go about it.

Edited by Bucknahs Bum Ankle, 22 December 2011 - 04:30 PM.

#3 Tony C

• SoSH Member

• 8,931 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:57 PM

thanks for the tips...still not getting me there. when you say change the final numbers on the ip address, i tried a few variations on my address 98.149.143.152 -- is there a specific way to change those last digits?

Also...any sense of where to get the 'gateway address'? I'm not seeing that.

Thx again...man is this frustrating!

p.s.: I also noticed that in my mac system preferences/network I see a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 -- but in the Airport Utility it's listed one digit differently 255.255.254.0 -- significant in any way?

#4 krobe

• 115 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 07:18 PM

Is there an option to just use DHCP?, usually it'd be the default and it automatically configures all this for you.

You definitely shouldn't be trying IPs like 98.149.143.x, those are public IPs and you probably have just the one (98.149.143.152). You want the BR Player to have a private IP probably something like 192.168.1.x, check the MAC for the specifics on your network. The BR player should have the same gateway and subnet mask as the MAC as well.

#5 InsideTheParker

• SoSH Member

• 11,090 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 07:18 PM

A few weeks ago, I went through a long, frustrating experience setting up my media player, entering all the sorts of numbers you are talking about, with the help of a Sony tech on the phone. Nothing worked. Still got "fail." Then it occurred to me that the Radio Shack sender that transmits my satellite feed to the kitchen and bedroom might be somehow blocking the wireless online signal from the router to the media player. That did it. Now, whenever I want to watch Netflix, I just unplug the RS sender, no biggie since I'm not watching satellite and Netflix simultaneously. Now, this may be of absolutely no help to you, but I mention it b/c sometimes it's something else, not a failure to follow the directions properly, that causes the problem. Once I cleared the electronic obstacle, the media player found the router automatically and filled in all the numbers itself.

#6 Bucknahs Bum Ankle

• SoSH Member

• 8,489 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:12 AM

A few weeks ago, I went through a long, frustrating experience setting up my media player, entering all the sorts of numbers you are talking about, with the help of a Sony tech on the phone. Nothing worked. Still got "fail." Then it occurred to me that the Radio Shack sender that transmits my satellite feed to the kitchen and bedroom might be somehow blocking the wireless online signal from the router to the media player. That did it. Now, whenever I want to watch Netflix, I just unplug the RS sender, no biggie since I'm not watching satellite and Netflix simultaneously. Now, this may be of absolutely no help to you, but I mention it b/c sometimes it's something else, not a failure to follow the directions properly, that causes the problem. Once I cleared the electronic obstacle, the media player found the router automatically and filled in all the numbers itself.

It sounds like he's connecting to the router, just not getting out to the internet from there.

Tony, I would try anything from about 140 to 170 for the last three digits of the IP address. Pretty sure the gateway address was listed in my router settings. I think it was the same or similar to the IP address; either that or it was the 255.255.255.0 thing. I can't remember and was going to check my settings last night but totally forgot. I'll try to remember again tonight if you're still having trouble.

#7 InsideTheParker

• SoSH Member

• 11,090 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:46 AM

It sounds like he's connecting to the router, just not getting out to the internet from there.

When I was having trouble, some of the time the media player found the router but not the internet. Again, it may have nothing to do with his situation, but I thought it was worth considering interference as a possibility.

#8 kns26

• 2 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 03:04 PM

Did you find a solution? I am having the same exact problem.

Don't see a topic here on this, and googling for help I see plenty of people with similar problems to what I have, but not finding any answers that work for me. Any help here? The situation is:

1: just bought a panasonic BDT210 Blu Ray player
2: need to hook it up to internet so can upgrade firmware and use netflix, etc.
3: get through the set up fine, including a 'pass' on wireless setting and a pass on IP address setting, but the 3rd check is 'connection to gateway' and get a fail there.
4: the only "help" it offers is "IP address is only available within the home network, the internet functions are not available. Please check the hub and broadband router settings.
5: my router is an apple airport 802.11g (and earlier during the set up I did get a message that 11n was optimal, and 11g would be slow)
6: i've changed the IP address manually both to what is shown in 'whatismyipaddress.com' and what is shown as my IPv4 address under the airport utilty. Neither changed anything.
7: the gateway is empty in the panasonic set up panel, so put in the router # there, but that didn't help.

So...not quite sure where to go from here. Any suggestions?

#9 Tony C

• SoSH Member

• 8,931 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 03:22 PM

Nope. been on the live chat with panasonic twice. need to give them a third call, but don't have the energy for it right now. Have used the tips here, on various websites, and 2 helpful tech guys with Panasonic.

Been a total time suck. Will give it a 3rd try with Panasonic and then just give it up. One other possibility is get a new airport express, as I have read that could be an issue as is getting on 802.11n -- but not sure I want to spend the cash just on spec.

Thanks again for the tips, though, and any others are certainly appreciated.

#10 kns26

• 2 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 05:01 PM

Me too. Very frustrating... I've been on tech support with Apple, Panasonic and Windstream (my isp). Apple says to buy another blu ray... Will try tonight with a different wireless router a friend is giving me (not apple though). I think it may be an apple/panasonic issue. I've tried many different DNS configurations using public DNS and windstream and no avail. Passes all tests but the internet connection. Tried taking off the encryption also. I know others have had this issue but no one has posted a solution...

#11 LoweTek

• 776 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 05:28 PM

thanks for the tips...still not getting me there. when you say change the final numbers on the ip address, i tried a few variations on my address 98.149.143.152 -- is there a specific way to change those last digits?

Also...any sense of where to get the 'gateway address'? I'm not seeing that.

Thx again...man is this frustrating!

p.s.: I also noticed that in my mac system preferences/network I see a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 -- but in the Airport Utility it's listed one digit differently 255.255.254.0 -- significant in any way?

First, check the firmware level in the System menu in the BR player (see 2nd to last paragraph below).

The IP address you are listing (98.x.etc.) looks like your public, or external, internet facing IP address. This is not an IP address you normally need to be concerned with. Your router will have two IP addresses assigned to it: an internal facing IP address (aka Local Area Network or LAN IP) and the aforementioned public or external facing IP address (aka Wide Area Network or WAN IP). You, or more accurately your router, control the internal addressing scheme. I don't use Airport but all home routers I have ever seen utilize their own internal facing IP address as the "gateway" IP address. That is, the router's LAN IP. Use of a website to determine your IP address is going to yield only your external IP address. Your internal addressing scheme is in theory, private. Your router aggregates all the internet bound traffic from the devices on your internal network and re-addresses them with your external public IP address for internet connection purposes.

So, your internal scheme is most likely a minor variation of the pattern: 192.168.y.x with x having a possible value of 0 through 254 and y having a fixed value, usually 0, 100 or 1 (this is what the 255.255.255.0 part actually is defining). Let's say the fixed value of y is 1. The router almost always takes the address 192.168.1.1 in this type of scheme. So if you had two Macs, one would have the address 192.168.1.2, the other would have the address 192.168.1.3. All three of these devices (Mac A, Mac B and the router's internal IP) would have the subnet mask 255.255.255.0. Both Mac A and Mac B would have the same gateway address - 192.168.1.1 - the router, since they use the router as their "gateway" to the internet. Your BR player is no different.

There are two ways to assign internal IP addresses to your devices. One is called static addressing which is rarely used in home schemes because it requires a lot of manual maintenance. DHCP is an acronym which refers to a service on most all routers which holds a defined 'pool' or range of IP addresses and assigns them to internal devices on request. Typically in the scheme I am describing in this example, this pool would be 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254. So a new device connects to your network; both the device and the router are configured for DHCP; device requests an address from your router via the DHCP service and the router provides a presently unused address from its pool which then becomes the address of the new device. The mask (255.255.etc) and the gateway addresss 192.168.1.1 are also passed along to the device when this assignment is made. Your BR supports DHCP and this is your best choice for IP addressing on it. The DHCP in the BR should be set to 'On.'

Still with me?

So with the conceptual lesson out of the way. Maybe one of our resident Mac people can chime in with the equivalent of the command ipconfig in windows and/or the network configuration utility on a mac which would tell what your scheme is. We need to know the numbering scheme of your internal network to get started.

The wireless factor could introduce a whole other basket of settings and issues. But we need to know what your internal network is doing. If it's physically possible to hard wire your BR to the router, I'd encourage it. You're likely to get better performance and there are fewer configuration considerations.

Also, I am seeing reference to firmware version issues in your BluRay player. Some older firmware versions are apparently unable to connect to the internet out of the box. Therefore, you have to do a manual firmware update by burning the firmware from Panasonic.com onto a CD and running it on the BR directly. The firmware version which the note I saw says does not work is 1.07. The one that worked was 1.47 and the latest is 1.68 which addresses, among other things wireless LAN connectivity with WEP encryption. So let us know what your firmware version is as well (in the System Menu). If it's old, it will have to be updated before further network configuration attempts.

I hope this helps you and possibly the others having similar difficulty.

#12 Tony C

• SoSH Member

• 8,931 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:34 PM

Thanks, LT, really appreciate that. About to take off for a long NYE weekend, so will have to try to input all that on my return, but one quick thing in response. In my Mac system preferences under airport my IPv4 address is shown as 10.0.1.3, subnet mask as 255.255.255.0 (though somewhere else when I was poking around -- maybe in the airport utility? -- it was shown as 255.255.254.0) and router as 10.0.1.1

One of the things that Panasonic had me use instead of either the IP address that the blu ray player comes up with automatically or what you call my external IP address was that IPv4 address, albeit changed a bit to 10.0.1.5. Didn't work, obviously, but fwiw, and especially if anyone with a Mac has expertise on this.

And will go down and check my firmware -- that sounds like an exciting possibility.

Thanks again!

#13 crow216

• SoSH Member

• 5,941 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 02:31 PM

The blu-ray player comes with an IP address? What the heck?

I'm going to take an alternative route for advice here.

Update the firmware with a USB flash drive. The manual should give you advice on how to do it.