Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Green to miss season after heart surgery

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
94 replies to this topic

#1 kazuneko

• 1,698 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 02:47 PM

Boston.com is reporting that Jeff Green has resigned for a one-year deal though they don't know what he'll get paid for the year. Looks like he won't be going anywhere in a sign-and-trade, though I guess it doesn't mean he won't be traded. Danny is almost done with filling this roster, has signed a bunch of useful players, and -amazingly- has still been able to protect his max-contract cap space for next season. Very impressive..
http://www.boston.co..._a_1_year_deal/

#2 Soxaholic

• 2,650 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 03:20 PM

http://sonsofsamhorn...year58-million/

#3 Fishercat

• Svelte and sexy!

• 4,491 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 04:02 PM

I saw "58million" to end that link and got really, really scared.

#4 Jeff Van GULLY

• 2,647 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 05:30 PM

Jeff Green's deal is for 1 year and 9 million. He did not sign for the qualifying offer.

#5 ishmael

• 409 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 06:07 PM

Jeff Green's deal is for 1 year and 9 million. He did not sign for the qualifying offer.

Wow, really? That screams trade bait to me. Does anyone know what the BYC rules will be going forward?

#6 gammoseditor

• also had a stroke

• 2,812 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 04:43 PM

Jeff Green is missing from practice today according to rotoworld. No word yet on why. Something could be in the works.

#7 Grin&MartyBarret

• 3,409 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 04:47 PM

I believe, because he just signed, that Jeff Green can't be traded until July.

#8 Brickowski

• 3,679 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 05:19 PM

I believe it's 90 days, and after that any deal would require his consent. The NBA trading deadline in 2012 is March 15, I believe, so that he could be traded on or before the deadline if he signs before Dec. 15. If he is traded with his consent, the acquiring team loses Bird rights. See Coon's FAQ #83, which of course applies to the old deal.

But would a sign and trade still be possible? It gets curiouser and curiouser. Here's the second paragraph of Coon's FAQ #83:

"For sign-and-trade transactions, the initial trade which completes the transaction is obviously allowed, even though it occurs right after the player is signed. What's not clear is whether the player's new team can subsequently trade him prior to three months or December 15. While a literal reading of the CBA might suggest that such players cannot be subsequently traded, the league actually considers this situation to be undefined, and won't resolve the matter until a team actually tries to make such a trade."

Edited by Brickowski, 12 December 2011 - 05:20 PM.

#9 dolomite133

• everything I write, think and feel is stupid

• 5,920 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 05:19 PM

Under the circumstances I fully support this. I think, given a full season, he will become a valuable player. This contract allows him to try out for a longer contract while also giving us the flexibility to let him go next year if it doesn't work out. Win-win. I think he improves dramatically this year as he becomes comfortable playing within the team's system. He needs to be more aggressive and avoid Joe Johnson year one syndrome.

#10 scottyno

• 2,931 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 06:05 PM

according to danny from what Im reading on twitter he's still going through his physical, which I would assume mean's his contract isn't official yet, which means he can still be traded

#11 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 06:10 PM

Jeff Green will not practice until Celtics officials are able to clarify questions that arose from the forward’s recent physical.

Danny Ainge declined to specify the problem, citing doctor/patient privilege, and also declined to say whether the issue was a a typical basketball-related condition, such as a knee or ankle problem.

The Celtics president said that Green was traveling today to have further tests taken.

“We found something in the physical, that we anticipate is fine,” said Ainge. “He’s been traveling all day. We’re being cautious. We just have to be cautious.”

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/celtics/?p=1239&srvc=sports&position=recent_bullet

#12 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 12,254 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 06:38 PM

We looking at a Jeremy Maclin situation here? At first, I was holding out hope that this was a ploy to buy Ainge some time to make a deal but it sounds like Green has a legitimate medical concern.

#13 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:26 PM

@gwashburn14

Doc Rivers said the Jeff Green situation is a "big concern". He sat out practice again today

https://twitter.com/#!/gwashburn14/status/147064443178713089
link to tweet
link to tweet

#14 Statman

• 594 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:27 PM

What is wrong with Green? I thought it was just stress and fatigue issues?

gary washburn @gwashburn14

Doc Rivers said the Jeff Green situation is a "big concern". He sat out practice again today #celtics

http://twitter.com/#!/gwashburn14

#15 dolomite133

• 5,920 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:16 PM

What is wrong with Green? I thought it was just stress and fatigue issues?

http://twitter.com/#!/gwashburn14

I had a feeling this was bigger than Ainge was saying. Now, I could still be wrong on this. But Doc's words and Green's inaction indicate something is up. Given the fact this is related to a stress test I'm hoping it's not a heart-related condition. For him and, to a lesser degree, for the team.

#16 Jeff Van GULLY

• 2,647 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:10 PM

Green has yet to pass his physical and so his deal isn't actually official.

Pressed on if the early results were good or bad, Ainge said, "It's all based on perspective. But I really don’t want to talk about that. It’s not fair for me to share Jeff’s information right now. So we’ll wait for tomorrow."

Link

That sounds really bad IMO. I'm beginning to wonder if he's even going to play for the Celtics this year.

#17 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 12,254 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 02:10 PM

It has to be a heart condition. This stuff is scary, which is probably why they're going through the battery of tests. Regardless, his trade value is probably next to nothing now so we have to hope it's just a minor hiccup.

#18 Marbleheader

• SoSH Member

• 7,098 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 02:41 PM

It seems as though Boston has had more than it's share of cancer/stroke/heart condition issues. Nothing surprises me any more.

#19 Carmine Hose

• 3,505 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 02:44 PM

It has to be a heart condition.

Bingo. That's what s stress test is for. Could be a mild irregular heartbeat or some kind of cardio myopathy (what felled Hank Gathers and Reggie Lewis). If so, Green's lucky this is happening now.

#20 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 12,254 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 03:34 PM

Bingo. That's what s stress test is for. Could be a mild irregular heartbeat or some kind of cardio myopathy (what felled Hank Gathers and Reggie Lewis). If so, Green's lucky this is happening now.

Any idea why this wouldn't come up during the physical when he was traded?

#21 Brickowski

• 3,679 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 07:47 AM

Any idea why this wouldn't come up during the physical when he was traded?

I don't know. Maybe its hard to detect or an abnormality that only shows up sometimes? I'm reminded of the Eddy Curry thing back in 2005, when Curry refused to proceed with additional testing and was traded to the Knicks. And then there's this: http://basketball.re...Heart_Condition

#22 dolomite133

• 5,920 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:22 PM

How do we not have more info on this by now?

EDIT: From the Boston Herald...

Coach Doc Rivers said that Green and Danny Ainge, Boston's president of basketball operations, went to see "another set of doctors" today.

Rivers declined to say where the two went, but did say he anticipates finding out today whether or not he'll have Green at the start of the season.

"They're either going to say he can or can't; one of the two, that's the way I look at it," Rivers said. "If he can't [play immediately], that would make things more difficult, there's no doubt. That's why we have Sasha [Pavlovic] and Marquis [Daniels] in here, who can play the three (small forward)."

Edited by dolomite133, 16 December 2011 - 02:36 PM.

#23 Statman

• 594 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:32 PM

The Herald reported that Ainge and Green left Boston to get a second opinion.

That can't be good right IMO. Boston has some of the best doctors in the country and they have to go somewhere else to get a second opinion?

#24 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 06:34 PM

Sean Grande @SeanGrandePBP

I have no expectation that he'll play this year. None. Hope I'm wrong. Don't think I am.

https://twitter.com/#!/SeanGrandePBP/status/147818467112914945
link to tweet
link to tweet

#25 Jed Zeppelin

• SoSH Member

• 15,656 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 06:57 PM

Guess we don't have to worry about Ainge committing big money to him with some of the cap space next year.

Too bad, I was hoping to see a lot of improvement after some time for him to gel and for Doc to figure out the best way to use him. The Celtics have bad luck with dudes named Green.

#26 Brickowski

• 3,679 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 07:07 PM

It's still too early to talk about the disabled player exception.

#27 radsoxfan

• SoSH Member

• 7,716 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 07:14 PM

I'm gonna go with...... hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy (HOCM), formerly called idiopathic hypertrophic subaortic stenosis (IHSS). Signs of that could be picked up on a standard EKG, and confirmed with an echocardiogram, or stress echocardiogram. HOCM has been linked to fatal arrhythmias and sudden death in young athletes, so might be tough to find a cardiologist to sign off on him playing again.....Just a guess, but I would think if he is out for the year, its probably some structural abnormality like that.

Lets hope Grande is being overly pessimistic, because that would be a big blow to the bench (not to mention Green's career).

Edited by radsoxfan, 16 December 2011 - 07:16 PM.

#28 Brickowski

• 3,679 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 07:18 PM

Could it also be what laymen call a "heart murmur'-- a problem withn a valve-- that might be correctible with surgery?

#29 radsoxfan

• SoSH Member

• 7,716 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 07:24 PM

Could it also be what laymen call a "heart murmur'-- a problem withn a valve-- that might be correctible with surgery?

Well HOCM actually causes a very distinctive murmur, but its not a valve problem exactly.

A valve problem on its own has likely been present for a while ( I doubt he has endocarditis or rheumatic heart disease), and might not require him to stop playing. Perhaps offseason surgery or something might be required for a simple valve issue.

But if they actually aren't going to let him play, I would be more worried about something like HOCM which can cause fatal arrhythmias. Again, pure speculation of course, thats just the classic thing you worry about in young athletes. Most of the non-drug related cases of sudden cardiac death in athletes are thought to be from HOCM (and this is what killed Hank Gathers).

Edited by radsoxfan, 16 December 2011 - 07:26 PM.

#30 axx

• SoSH Member

• 5,014 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 07:27 PM

I'm impressed there hasn't been any leaks about what exactly is ailing Green.

#31 radsoxfan

• SoSH Member

• 7,716 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 07:31 PM

Random trivia fact I just learned after reading the wikipedia page on Hank Gathers...

On Sunday, March 4, 1990, in Los Angeles, he collapsed again with 13:34 left in the first half of the WCC tournament quarterfinal game against Portland, just after scoring on his trademark tomahawk dunk on an alley-oop pass pass from point guard Terrell Lowery that put the Lions up 25–13.[14][19] He collapsed a yard or two away from the current head coach of the Miami Heat, Erik Spoelstra, then a point guard for the Pilots.

He attempted to get up, telling the trainers, "I don't want to lay down!", then shortly after stopped breathing.[21] He was declared dead on arrival at a nearby hospital at the age of 23. An autopsy found that he suffered from a heart-muscle disorder, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.[18] Following his death, Gathers' family filed a $32.5-million lawsuit charging negligence.[22] Loyola Marymount settled out of court for $1.4 million, while the cardiologist who treated Gathers settled for $1 million.[23][24]

Weird

Edited by radsoxfan, 16 December 2011 - 07:38 PM.

#32 Lazy vs Crazy

• 980 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 07:38 PM

How do you sign a guy that can't pass a physical?

#33 Riles335

• Defiantly Definite

• 506 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 07:47 PM

How do you sign a guy that can't pass a physical?

He hasn't officially been signed yet.

#34 Lazy vs Crazy

• 980 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:05 PM

Oh wow I apparently can't read tonight.

If he doesn't play this year the C's lose any kind of Bird rights on him unless the deal is signed, right? At least Daniels is apparently tearing it up in camp so the C's will have one decent backup wing.

#35 Statman

• 594 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 09:07 PM

Can't they just tell us what's wrong with Green?

A source close to Boston Celtics forward Jeff Green says the 6-foot-8 forward is expected to miss some games early on this season due to an undisclosed health condition that became apparent during his most recent physical.

While the C's have yet to say exactly what Green's condition is, a source says that it can be controlled with medication. The same source did not know if it would require a medical procedure as well, but "that's one of the options, for sure."

Link

#36 AMS25

• 939 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 09:12 PM

Can't they just tell us what's wrong with Green?

I guess they don't want to say anything definitive until they have something definitive. But, it's a bit weird....

#37 Cellar-Door

• SoSH Member

• 5,824 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 09:17 PM

I guess they don't want to say anything definitive until they have something definitive. But, it's a bit weird....

They couldn't say anything without his permission anyway under the HIPPA guidelines.

#38 axx

• SoSH Member

• 5,014 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 08:23 AM

They couldn't say anything without his permission anyway under the HIPPA guidelines.

Like that would stop people from leaking it.

At least they are talking as if this isn't going to be season-ending.

#39 BS_SoxFan

• 1,951 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 11:27 AM

Per the Herald Green needs heart surgery and is out for the season:

http://www.bostonher..._medium=twitter

#40 PeaceSignMoose

• 1,481 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 11:28 AM

@SpearsNBAYahooCeltics say Jeff Green will miss the '11-'12 season after having surgery Monday to repair an aortic aneurysm. He is expected to play 12-13.

#41 KevinRiley28

• 287 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 11:33 AM

Well, at least he's getting taken care of.

Long term, he will be back in green next season at a bargain price most likely 1 year deal

#42 Brickowski

• 3,679 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 11:38 AM

It's being called an aortic aneurism. Green is lucky they caught it.

So now it is time to discuss the disabled player exception. I believe that exception would allow the Celtics to sign a single free agent for up to 50% of Green's salary or the MLE for under-the-cap teams, whichever is lower. Under the new CBA they can only sign a replacement for one year (it was 5 years before). They have 45 days to use it.
Last year the Rocets got one for Yao, and Portland got one for Oden.

#43 Marbleheader

• SoSH Member

• 7,098 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 11:41 AM

Glad they caught it, too bad he'll be out for the year. Will be interesting to see what Danny does in light of this.

#44 Judge Mental13

• designated driver

• 4,828 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 11:44 AM

Perhaps this will be the wake-up call that Danny needs, and he will go out and sign 2 more random power forwards.

#45 BannedbyNYYFans.com

• 3,152 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 11:50 AM

All things considered, this is better news than I was expecting for Green. The way the rumors were swirling, I thought it would be career ending.

#46 Sinistas

• 992 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 11:54 AM

It's being called an aortic aneurism. Green is lucky they caught it.

So now it is time to discuss the disabled player exception. I believe that exception would allow the Celtics to sign a single free agent for up to 50% of Green's salary or the MLE for under-the-cap teams, whichever is lower. Under the new CBA they can only sign a replacement for one year (it was 5 years before). They have 45 days to use it.
Last year the Rocets got one for Yao, and Portland got one for Oden.

He failed his physical, therefore the contract was voided. No need for any of that.

Sucks to go through this at all, never mind at 25. It is good they caught it early, obviously.

#47 Greg29fan

• SoSH Member

• 13,187 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 11:57 AM

Do the C's take a look at Keith Bogans who was waived by Chicago yesterday? He can play both SG and SF at 6'5".

Glad they were able to find this out about Green and he can get it repaired. Reminds me of the NFL trade earlier this year where a running back from the Lions took a physical and found out he had cancer.

Edited by Greg29fan, 17 December 2011 - 11:58 AM.

#48 Jeff Van GULLY

• 2,647 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 12:43 PM

This teams depth is not good. Missing out in west hurts even more now.

I guess on the bright side the Celtics retain green's rfa rights for next year.

#49 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 12,254 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 12:49 PM

This is going to cost Green a lot of money but it probably prevented a Hank Gathers/Reggie Lewis situation on the court. Really sucks that we couldn't pry James Harden away from them though.

#50 mahky bellhorn

• 1,520 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 12:49 PM

Do the C's take a look at Keith Bogans who was waived by Chicago yesterday? He can play both SG and SF at 6'5".

Glad they were able to find this out about Green and he can get it repaired. Reminds me of the NFL trade earlier this year where a running back from the Lions took a physical and found out he had cancer.

Probably, he seems to be the best possible option to take Green's roster spot which is frightening.