Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Wicks & Rowe: The place to discuss far fetched rebuilding ideas.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1222 replies to this topic

#201 Kutcher Era Youth

• 128 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:12 PM

How about the Lakers as a Pierce destination? They've got Odom's nearly 9 million trade exception, an easy contract like Walton's to eat, and a top 20 protected Mavs pick plus their own pick. Some stumbling blocks may be LA holding out to chase their dream of landing Howard, or Ainge's fear that the image of Pierce celebrating a championship while sporting purple and yellow may drive a fan to murder him (Ainge) at a Celtics game next year.

#202 Brickowski

• 3,683 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:16 PM

You can't combine trade exceptions with other exceptions in order to make a deal work.

#203 Grin&MartyBarret

• 3,416 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:33 PM

I wouldn't offer any picks. You are saving the Wizards 24 million dollars (actually a little more). That's enough. If Robert Sarver owned the Wizards, I'm guessing he'd take that deal in a heartbeat. I have no idea what Ted Leonsis might do.

This deal also depends in large measure on what you think you can get with the pick. It's likely to be top 5, but even so, the Celtics might not think that guys like Davis, Drummond, Sullinger or Jones will ever develop into franchise players (or at least all star caliber players). If so, there's no reason for Ainge to do it.

In interviews, Leonsis has stated a couple of different times that he's content with acquiring young assets and improving. I don't think he's so concerned about Lewis's deal that he's going to give up a top 5 pick in a deep draft to save 24 million dollars. He wants to build a young core to attract free agents to DC, or use pieces of the young core to acquire a star through a trade. The path to doing so isn't selling a top 5 pick to save money.

#204 wutang112878

• SoSH Member

• 5,658 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 02:00 PM

I hate to say it, but this core is done. KG is having far too many 'I dont have the hops or the lateral quickness' nights, and while Pierce is hurt all 3 of the Big 3 are starting to show their age. I was sad to see Dannys quotes about breaking them up, but happy as well because the chances of this team winning a title are about 5% IMO, so we might as well start the rebuilding/retooling process ASAP and try to get something of value for the Big3 if possible.

To truly get decent value Danny is probably going to have to do a 3way deal because there arent many contending teams that have the young players/draft picks that he would want in return, but from now until the deadline I hope he stops all his scouting trips and spends all his time looking into deals to rebuild this team.

#205 Kutcher Era Youth

• 128 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 02:02 PM

You can't combine trade exceptions with other exceptions in order to make a deal work.

Damn.

Well, Walton and Metta World Peace works in the tradechecker. Walton's due a little over 6 million in 12-13 and Artest has a player option for a little over 7 mil next year. It wouldn't be ideal, but possible.

#206 irishtap03

• 87 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 02:22 PM

How about the Lakers as a Pierce destination? They've got Odom's nearly 9 million trade exception, an easy contract like Walton's to eat, and a top 20 protected Mavs pick plus their own pick. Some stumbling blocks may be LA holding out to chase their dream of landing Howard, or Ainge's fear that the image of Pierce celebrating a championship while sporting purple and yellow may drive a fan to murder him (Ainge) at a Celtics game next year.

I don't think Danny would have a problem with this at all. Hell he is the reason the Pistons won their championship when he jumped into the Wallace deal. If a deal will improve his team he'll do it. Ownership, that would be another story.

Pierce for Artest, Walton, and the Dallas and Lakers first rd pick. They would buy out Artest. I don't love this deal but if your goal was to get draft picks in 2012 it works.

Edited by irishtap03, 19 January 2012 - 02:22 PM.

#207 ivanvamp

• one campus at a time..

• 4,476 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:46 PM

I don't think Danny would have a problem with this at all. Hell he is the reason the Pistons won their championship when he jumped into the Wallace deal. If a deal will improve his team he'll do it. Ownership, that would be another story.

Pierce for Artest, Walton, and the Dallas and Lakers first rd pick. They would buy out Artest. I don't love this deal but if your goal was to get draft picks in 2012 it works.

That's actually a heck of a deal. Lakers get an all-star small forward that can score and take the big shot, but who can also play defense. Yes, it probably kills their chances to land Howard, but maybe not. Maybe they could move Pierce in a sign-and-trade for Howard if that's something Orlando could use next year. Anyway, Lakers get a huge piece - Fisher, Kobe, Pierce, Bynum, Gasol.....that's a championship caliber club right there.

For the C's, they get the two draft picks, giving them four in the 1st round which, as I've suggested earlier, they should use to try to move up and get two top 10 picks.

#208 Mike in CT

• 2,125 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:09 PM

I'd rather get one 2012 first round pick from a non-Laker team than get two 2012 first round picks from the Lakers.

The Lakers are the only team in the league that are off limits. If they had some amazing kid or high pick, maybe, but two late first rounders isn't worth watching Pierce help that team.

Fuck the Lakers. Find someone else.

#209 Jed Zeppelin

• SoSH Member

• 15,659 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:20 PM

The only way the Celtics would get into the top ten is by taking on some bad contracts with their newfound cap space. The talent gap between the top ten (a lot of years it's more like the top five) and the rest of the draft is so huge in the NBA that multiple low 1st rounders don't even come close to matching the value. I suppose that is an option for the cap space if we assume that the rebuild will take awhile anyway and that they aren't landing any big fish in FA. Given the amnesty option and the supposed strength of the upcoming draft, I'm not sure how many teams would feel the need to make such a move.

#210 irishtap03

• 87 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:01 PM

The only way the Celtics would get into the top ten is by taking on some bad contracts with their newfound cap space. The talent gap between the top ten (a lot of years it's more like the top five) and the rest of the draft is so huge in the NBA that multiple low 1st rounders don't even come close to matching the value. I suppose that is an option for the cap space if we assume that the rebuild will take awhile anyway and that they aren't landing any big fish in FA. Given the amnesty option and the supposed strength of the upcoming draft, I'm not sure how many teams would feel the need to make such a move.

A very valid point. It has happened before but not a common occurance to see multiple picks get you up into the top ten (like you do see in football). Better chance this year where some teams might feel they can get good talent later in the draft and would rather have multiple players than one player in the 7-12 range.

Once point I don't think the C's should worry about is taking back a bad contract if it can dramatically improve their draft position (or grabbing a young player in general). I think most people would agree it is going to take a few years to get back to the top so if you need to take a bad contract on for 2-3 years with the way the C's cap situation is it wouldn't kill the C's if they did it one time.

#211 mcpickl

• 2,092 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:31 PM

Should've read through the whole thread first.

Irishtap made my point already.

Edited by mcpickl, 19 January 2012 - 06:32 PM.

#212 Riles335

• Defiantly Definite

• 506 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:35 PM

So apparently there are rumors circulating that the Lakers are interested in landing Paul Pierce. I know its far fetched but the obvious name that come to mind in a deal involving Paul Pierce to the Lakers would be Pau Gasol. Clearly the Lakers wouldn't move Bynum and outside of their two big men, the Lakers don't carry many intriguing players. What do people think of Pau Gasol for Paul Pierce?

I think Gasol for Pierce should be a no brainer for the Celtics. Clearly Gasol has a lot of strong basketball ahead of him and Pierce is on the back nine. Despite a contract that runs through 2013, I think a transition of the current big three to a nucleus heading into next year of Rajon Rondo, Pau Gasol, and player X considering the cap space still at their disposal with Allen, Garnett, and JO coming off the books, could make for an intriguing team. I am not sure if it would win a title but it would still be competitive.

What do people think? Just some other food for thought.

#213 Mike in CT

• 2,125 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:40 PM

The difference between Ron Artest and Paul Pierce is not big enough for the Lakers to give up one of their bigs. It doesn't make much sense for them.

I'd make the trade because I think it all but kills the Lakers championship hopes. Josh McRoberts at the 4?

#214 dolomite133

• everything I write, think and feel is stupid

• 5,920 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:43 PM

So apparently there are rumors circulating that the Lakers are interested in landing Paul Pierce. I know its far fetched but the obvious name that come to mind in a deal involving Paul Pierce to the Lakers would be Pau Gasol. Clearly the Lakers wouldn't move Bynum and outside of their two big men, the Lakers don't carry many intriguing players. What do people think of Pau Gasol for Paul Pierce?

I think Gasol for Pierce should be a no brainer for the Celtics. Clearly Gasol has a lot of strong basketball ahead of him and Pierce is on the back nine. Despite a contract that runs through 2013, I think a transition of the current big three to a nucleus heading into next year of Rajon Rondo, Pau Gasol, and player X considering the cap space still at their disposal with Allen, Garnett, and JO coming off the books, could make for an intriguing team. I am not sure if it would win a title but it would still be competitive.

What do people think? Just some other food for thought.

Wasn't it already mentioned that the Lakers would use a trade exception (and a smaller contract, ie Walton) to land Pierce?

#215 Kutcher Era Youth

• 128 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:48 PM

Wasn't it already mentioned that the Lakers would use a trade exception (and a smaller contract, ie Walton) to land Pierce?

Yeah, by me, incorrectly though. They can't use the exception with another salary in order to match.

#216 MoGator71

• 4,970 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:11 PM

I'd rather get one 2012 first round pick from a non-Laker team than get two 2012 first round picks from the Lakers.

The Lakers are the only team in the league that are off limits. If they had some amazing kid or high pick, maybe, but two late first rounders isn't worth watching Pierce help that team.

Fuck the Lakers. Find someone else.

Couldn't agree more. Pierce for 2 picks in the 20s sucks enough without also taking on Artest or whoever AND helping the Lakers on top of it.

#217 ElcaballitoMVP

• 2,139 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:22 PM

Pierce, JO, Wilcox for Gasol and Barnes works in the trade checker (as does Pierce and either JO or Wilcox for Gasol).

My head will explode if we trade Pierce for Gasol, even if it's the smart move. I can't believe I'm even entertaining this thought right now.

#218 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 12,269 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:30 PM

Pau Gasol turns 32 this summer. Trading for him makes absolutely no sense for a rebuilding team.

#219 Riles335

• Defiantly Definite

• 506 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:09 PM

Pau Gasol turns 32 this summer. Trading for him makes absolutely no sense for a rebuilding team.

While I agree doesn't making a trade for Gasol ensure you that you aren't going to go through a rebuilding phase? With Rondo and Gasol on the books, the Celtics would still have a great deal of cap flexibility to land another piece through free agency or trade. With Gasol ensured on your roster, your not banking on the unrealistic idea of landing two top free agents. This is all with the thought that they don't want to go through a serious rebuilding phase of course but rather rebuild and compete on the fly. Who really knows what Ainge has on its mind. Its really hard to dedicate your time and efforts towards either way.

#220 Brickowski

• 3,683 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:23 PM

It would be like Memphis redux (when Pau Gasol was there): the C's would be good enough to make the playoffs, not good enough to win a playoff game. If you want to rebuild in a hurry, mediocrity is to be avoided at all costs. Initially you want to be young and bad-- but with a couple of youngsters who could really turn into something.

Edited by Brickowski, 19 January 2012 - 09:24 PM.

#221 Mike in CT

• 2,125 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:54 PM

I personally believe Gasol is more valuable than Paul Pierce at this stage of their careers. Therefore, regardless of keeping Gasol or flipping him, you make that trade.

#222 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 12,269 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:03 PM

I personally believe Gasol is more valuable than Paul Pierce at this stage of their careers. Therefore, regardless of keeping Gasol or flipping him, you make that trade.

It just doesn't make sense. If you trade the Big 3, it's because you want to bottom out, pick up a couple blue chip draft prospects, and go from there. You only do a Pierce/Gasol trade if you're trying to re-tool and compete for a championship now. I also don't think Ainge or the Lakers would ever make this trade. It'd be horrible PR for the Celtics and Lakers need Gasol as their Bynum insurance.

#223 Rudy Pemberton

• Just a string of characters

• 28,377 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:26 AM

Why would the Lakers give up Gasol for Pierce? don't see how that makes them better. I'd expect they'd want to give up Peace, Barnes, Walton and a pick.

#224 lexrageorge

• 3,125 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:36 AM

It just doesn't make sense. If you trade the Big 3, it's because you want to bottom out, pick up a couple blue chip draft prospects, and go from there. You only do a Pierce/Gasol trade if you're trying to re-tool and compete for a championship now. I also don't think Ainge or the Lakers would ever make this trade. It'd be horrible PR for the Celtics and Lakers need Gasol as their Bynum insurance.

Or, you break up the Big 3 to pick up assets that you can use in later trades to acquire even more valuable assets. Bottoming out and hoping for the ping pong balls rarely works as well in practice as it does in theory.

#225 irishtap03

• 87 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:02 AM

Or, you break up the Big 3 to pick up assets that you can use in later trades to acquire even more valuable assets. Bottoming out and hoping for the ping pong balls rarely works as well in practice as it does in theory.

But you still need your stud player to come from the draft. Look at all the championship teams and the teams that compete now. The common glue for all the teams is their best player was from the draft.

Just take the final 4 teams from the last two years:

Miami - Wade (Lebron doesn't go to Miami unless Wade is there already)
Chicago - Rose
OKC - Durant
Dallas - Dirk

The year before:

Boston - Pierce
Orl - Howard
Lakers - Kobe
Suns - rule does not apply with Nash, Amare was however a draft pick.

So 7 of the last 8 final four teams started with nailing a stud in the draft. The one semi-exception to the rule didn't make the finals (i know techically Nash was drafted by the Suns but he hasn't been there the whole time).

So tanking to get the #1 pick doesn't always work (see Celtics in Durant/Oden draft) but you do need to get a low pick and nail it.

#226 04101Seadog

• 325 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:24 PM

I agree, while it's not probable it's a deal that should be done. While I hate helping the Lakers, I don't think there is enough touches for PP and Kobe to coexist, so it would hurt them in the long run. Flipping Gasol to a team like the Rockets would be a win however as they went hard for him over the summer and have young talent they were looking to trade for him. It's like the Chris Paul deal with a different Paul. In the all powerful trade machine a deal of PP/Bradley to the Lakers, Gasol to the Rockets, and Martin/Thabeet/Buddinger to the C's works and would leave us with a scorer to get us through the next couple years, and two youngsters on their first deals to bring along. Could do worse.

#227 CreightonGubanich

• 970 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:25 PM

A Pierce-Gasol swap doesn't really make sense for either team. They're both old, and don't make sense for a team trying to rebuild. For the Celtics, they lose their only player capable of creating his own shot, and don't have a replacement for him. For the Lakers, they trade away their biggest advantage - size and skill inside - for another wing player who needs the ball in his hands. I'm sure the Lakers would love Pierce, but it would be be as a salary/Artest dump and maybe a late first round pick. The odds that that pick would ever give you more than Pierce will over the next few years, even as he ages, are pretty slim. And in the NBA, 4 late first rounders does not equal two top 10 picks.

#228 86spike

• Currently enjoying "Arli$$"

• 22,128 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:50 PM

NJ is most likely going to make another play for Dwight Howard (they need to wait for Brook Lopez to show he's healthy - assuming this happens prior to the deadline).

Orlando is reportedly not interested in taking back a rebuilder's package (picks, expiring deals, dumping back salaries) and would rather try to reload. The preseason trade that NJ was working on used a third team (in that one, Portland) to get Orlando some veteran talent.

I wonder if Ainge and Billy King are talking right now. Portland was set to land a shit ton of NJ's picks in that failed deal (with Gerald Wallace being the centerpiece going to Orlando). Does Boston want to step into that position and move Pierce to the Magic?

#229 dolomite133

• 5,920 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:27 PM

So to recap the opinions expressed here. Seems like people fall into the following camps.

1) Do nothing, wait for the offseason, let contracts expire, begin a long (5 year or more) rebuilding process.
2) Do nothing, wait for the offseason, let contracts expire, hope to make a dramatic move (landing Dwight Howard or Kevin Love, trade for a high draft pick). If not, begin a long (5 year or more) rebuilding process.
3) Blow it up, trade for draft picks, begin a long (5 year or more) rebuilding process.
4) Blow it up, trade for young talent, begin a long (5 year or more) rebuilding process.
5) Any combination of the above. Begin a long (5 year or more) rebuilding process.

Did I miss anything? Oh, yeah, I forgot the "Keep the big three together and make a run for a title!" camp. I'm assuming no one is left in that camp.

Edited by dolomite133, 20 January 2012 - 11:32 PM.

#230 Sprowl

• mikey lowell of the sandbox

• 21,263 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 12:11 AM

So to recap the opinions expressed here. Seems like people fall into the following camps.

1) Do nothing, wait for the offseason, let contracts expire, begin a long (5 year or more) rebuilding process.
2) Do nothing, wait for the offseason, let contracts expire, hope to make a dramatic move (landing Dwight Howard or Kevin Love, trade for a high draft pick). If not, begin a long (5 year or more) rebuilding process.
3) Blow it up, trade for draft picks, begin a long (5 year or more) rebuilding process.
4) Blow it up, trade for young talent, begin a long (5 year or more) rebuilding process.
5) Any combination of the above. Begin a long (5 year or more) rebuilding process.

Did I miss anything? Oh, yeah, I forgot the "Keep the big three together and make a run for a title!" camp. I'm assuming no one is left in that camp.

Options 1 and 2 are compatible with making a last run for a title, however unlikely it is that the geriatrics will make it to the playoffs in condition to play.

Deciding between 2 and 3 depends on what offers are on the table for Allen and Pierce at the trading deadline. Blowing it up in mid-season only makes sense if the team gets some real value in return. Ainge has certainly made it clear that he's listening to offers.

#231 swingin val

• 991 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 12:36 AM

Does Boston want to step into that position and move Pierce to the Magic?

Of course Boston wants to do that. But why in gods hell would Orlando want anything to do with Pierce?

#232 LukefromNH

• 63 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 12:23 PM

The Celtics are currently 22nd in the league standings - http://espn.go.com/n...dings/_/group/1

They might not need to make a trade to get into the top 10 pick this year. Perhaps an option to explore would include (assuming Pierce has something left in the tank and his poor play is bc of injury/bad conditioning) moving Ray, for some assets, letting Pierce "rest" through this heel injury and grabbing a nice top 10 player to play along with an aging, but still valuable Pierce, plus Rondo and Green.

Edited by LukefromNH, 21 January 2012 - 12:26 PM.

#233 nighthob

• 2,911 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 12:48 PM

Honestly they're better off losing Rondo and letting the team wallow this year. If they could get Collison & George from Indiana they'd be in a better spot long term. (No, Collison isn't great, but he's average, and makes a lot less giving Boston more options in free agency, and despite the consensus of Celtiocs' fans, he isn't a superstar, either.)

#234 fenwaypa'k

• 21 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:45 PM

I think that Memphis is a potential trade partner, and I would propose a trade to them of Pierce and Allen for Gay and Mayo.

I think Memphis would do the trade because they have a legit shot at the title this year. Last year they made it to the WCF without Gay due to injury and without Mayo being a consistent contributor. Adding the experience of Pierce and Allen would be huge for them. Also, Gay is probably overpaid and Mayo has been subject to trade rumors for a while.

For the Celtics, I like the idea of pairing Gay and Mayo to run the floor with Rondo. I doubt the Celtics could do any better with that money in free agency. With the PG/SG/SF positions locked up for the foreseeable future, the Celtics could focus on improving at PF/C and, who knows, perhaps lightning will strike and Love will become available or Howard will rethink the C's in light of the trade. The thought of Love throwing long outlet passes to Rondo/Mayo/Gay running the floor is tantalizing, if not far-fetched, but the incompetency of the T-Wolves has helped the Celtics before.

#235 Koufax

• 1,906 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 03:15 PM

What the team really needs is a season ending injury to Rondo. Get to the lottery and bring him back to play with the stud that they get out of the draft.

#236 Hendu's Gait

• 3/5's member

• PipPipPip
  • 7,918 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 04:36 PM

What the team really needs is a season ending injury to Rondo. Get to the lottery and bring him back to play with the stud that they get out of the draft.

You shut your mouth! I'm not really interested in getting a top pick and getting Ron Mercer v 2.0. The draft is a crapshoot. Much easier to get the stud via F.A. Focus should be on creating cap room and then being smart with it. Losing Rondo, and therefore the season and alienating the fan base is not a good idea. Compete for the playoffs.

Anything's possible!

Edited by Hendu's Gait, 23 January 2012 - 04:36 PM.

#237 Vegas Sox Fan

• 605 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:19 PM

Of course Boston wants to do that. But why in gods hell would Orlando want anything to do with Pierce?

Would Orlando do it if we took back Turkoglu?

Boston Gets: Turkoglu, Okur, NJ 2012 1st & Hou 2012 Top 14 protected 1st
Orlando Gets: Pierce, O'Neal, Lopez
NJ Gets: Dwight Howard

You may have to swap in Allen instead of O'Neal but if not you could try to swap Allen for a piece as well. That leaves Boston with some cap flexibility this summer along with 4 draft picks (presently 3, 10, 15 or so depending on Hou, 19). The only drawback would be Turkoglu at 11mil for 2 more years.

#238 Brickowski

• 3,683 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:58 PM

The old David Robinson gambit. This may or may not be necessary, depending on what happens with Garnett, Pierce and Allen.

#239 irishtap03

• 87 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:17 PM

You may have to swap in Allen instead of O'Neal but if not you could try to swap Allen for a piece as well. That leaves Boston with some cap flexibility this summer along with 4 draft picks (presently 3, 10, 15 or so depending on Hou, 19). The only drawback would be Turkoglu at 11mil for 2 more years.

Seeing the Houston pick as top 14 protected to me is a major down point to this deal. I love the 2012 draft and would hate to not get the pick this year. Also if NJ gets Howard that pick would probably end up in the 5-10 range. I don't think NJ could make the playoffs falling as far behind as they have but they could end up winning a few more games than the C's would like.

The Turkoglu $$$ should not worry the C's for a few reasons. One, Turk's deal would end up saving $$$ over the Pierce deal. The C's would also still have enough money to sign a player even with the Turk deal. Plus if the C's go this route they would need time to let the draft picks develop anyways so 2 years of Turk wouldn't kill the C's.

Edited by irishtap03, 24 January 2012 - 02:23 PM.

#240 nighthob

• 2,911 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:46 PM

They're two games behind Boston, the #7 seed, at the moment. With Williams and Howard there's no way they don't finish .500 and make the postseason, unless we're talking a March 15th trade. But even then, given how bad the East is outside the top six teams they still probably win the eighth seed.

#241 irishtap03

• 87 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:04 PM

They're two games behind Boston, the #7 seed, at the moment. With Williams and Howard there's no way they don't finish .500 and make the postseason, unless we're talking a March 15th trade. But even then, given how bad the East is outside the top six teams they still probably win the eighth seed.

That deal would all be based on the timing. I don't see the C's blowing it up anytime soon so I think any deal the C's make to rebuild would be early March. The Nets are actually 4 games behind the C's in the lose column and would probably be about 8-10 out of the last playoff spot in the loss column by March. That is a lot of games to make up.

Regardless I don't think the Magic make the deal. For one they are fighting for first place. Second Lopez Pierce and O'Neil doesn't scream great get in a trade. I think they would at least want the Nets first round pick.

#242 nighthob

• 2,911 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:20 PM

As of today New Jersey is three games behind Boston in the standings. Boston isn't reeling off any long winning streaks anytime soon. They have had one of the easiest schedules in the league so far, complete with a 10/6 home/road split. Their schedule will be brutal in a few weeks. They aren't breaking away from the Nets anytime soon.

#243 dolomite133

• 5,920 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:27 PM

Love is off the market. So those people who want to wait for free agency lost another target. Now they are down to Dwight Howard or bust (bust being three 2-3 year deals for overpaid free agents).

#244 ishmael

• 409 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:55 AM

Love is off the market. So those people who want to wait for free agency lost another target. Now they are down to Dwight Howard or bust (bust being three 2-3 year deals for overpaid free agents).

Has the NBA banned 1 year contracts?

#245 Brickowski

• 3,683 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:53 AM

Love is off the market.

Depends on which source you read.

#246 BigMike

• SoSH Member

• 18,246 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:45 PM

DOes Boston get enough to make it worth ensuring that one of their divisional rivals gets a top 3 player in the game, and of course this allows them to lock up their top 3 PG long term as well

Also no idea why Orlando would want that deal, I know they are losing Howard either way, but I think I would want the young talent from NJ rather than a declining veteran star, a contract, and a decent young player,. If I were Orlando I would be immediately looking to spin Pierce off to LA for whatever I could get at that point

#247 Grin&MartyBarret

• 3,416 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:52 PM

Depends on which source you read.

Deal is done now. 4 years with an opt out after year 3.

#248 Brickowski

• 3,683 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:25 PM

Deal is done now. 4 years with an opt out after year 3.

Yes, I saw that on RealGM. Given the new CBA, I suspect that this sort of deal will become common: sign with your existing team to maximize income but get a player option as soon as you can.

#249 dolomite133

• 5,920 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 04:06 PM

Given the fact that the free agent market is drying up, what does everyone here think will happen if we stand pat until next offseason? Will we be forced to overpay? Will we lock up two or three average players for 3-4 years? Both? Those are my greatest fears as a Celtics fans, because in that scenario we settle for mediocrity (and the middle-of-the-first-round picks that are the result of mediocrity).

#250 Jed Zeppelin

• SoSH Member

• 15,659 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:42 PM

Given the fact that the free agent market is drying up, what does everyone here think will happen if we stand pat until next offseason? Will we be forced to overpay? Will we lock up two or three average players for 3-4 years? Both? Those are my greatest fears as a Celtics fans, because in that scenario we settle for mediocrity (and the middle-of-the-first-round picks that are the result of mediocrity).

Why would Ainge do this? Did he recently become braindead? The UFA market stinks. There will be an abundance of crappy players available for one year deals (guys like Wilcox) to retain long-term flexibility and ensure a bad team. Or he could just bring back the current team for another year and achieve the same thing. I doubt he is striving for intentional mediocrity.

edit: This is, of course, assuming Ainge doesn't pull off some kind of gamechanger from who knows where.

Edited by Jed Zeppelin, 25 January 2012 - 06:51 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users