Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

National Football Schools

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
55 replies to this topic

#51 WayBackVazquez

• white knight against high school nookie

• 5109 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:50 AM

or just 2008

If only these teams actually played each other...

#52 maufman

• SoSH Member

• 11974 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:38 AM

You midwestern people are ruining this thread with your little spats. ND, Mich and tOSU all belong somewhere in the bottom half of the top tier, behind the likes of Alabama, USC, Oklahoma ... and yes, Miami.

#53 Old Fart Tree

• the maven of meat

• 4956 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 01:49 PM

1) the fact that Stanford is even making most of these lists shows how dependent they are on when they're formed (and how far the program has come in that time). Five years ago, not a single person would have Stanford on any tier, under any circumstances. Now the team is good, and people start to remember Plunkett and Elway and, dare I say, even the Thunder Chickens.
2) the fact that Notre Dame is probably a tier II or even tier III at this point shows how far that program has fallen. It's been a rough decade for the golden domers.
3)Posted Image

Edited by Old Fart Tree, 13 December 2011 - 01:49 PM.

#54 bowiac

• I've been living a lie.

• 9475 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:46 PM

Football-reference.com has nice ELO type rankings on this. Clearly biased and all, but gives some idea of where the internet voting public perceives the teams to be.

Spoiler

UCLA and Iowa are the two more confusing teams to me, but generally not a terrible starting point I think.

#55 RingoOSU

• okie misanthrope

• 13324 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:26 AM

Notre Dame at 37? Kill yourself.

#56 Was (Not Wasdin)

• 582 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 12:50 PM

I tend to be exclusive rather than inclusive, so my list looks like this:

Michigan
Ohio State
Oklahoma
Nebraska
Alabama
Notre Dame
USC
Texas

Bubble teams are Penn State and the Florida troika of FSU, UF, and The U.

Penn State has been associated with Paterno for so long, I think it holds them back some. I'd be inclined to put them on the list once they had success (conference championships, top 10 finishes, etc.) with someone else other than him.

Despite the dominance of the Florida schools since the early 80s, it is hard to put them on list of "historic" programs. Up until the 80s, none of them were particularly dominant or players on a national level, and Miami actually considered dropping football altogether before hiring Schnellenberger. Florida State has the same problem as Penn State-is it the program/school, or is it just the coach?