Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Ongoing Chris Paul Saga

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
451 replies to this topic

#351 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16114 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 12:51 AM

ESPNSteinLine
Sources close to the situation tell ESPN that Clippers have emerged as "early frontrunner" to acquire CP3 now that Lakers out of running

#352 Cellar-Door

• SoSH Member

• 5594 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 12:51 AM

And how exactly is trading a top five player in the game, in the middle of his prime for two backup PFs, one of the more mediocre shooting guards in the NBA and a backup point guard, oh, and mostly on big money deals, help with the attendance? And 2012 and 2013 aren't shitty drafts. In fact, thanks to the lockout they're the best drafts of recent vintage. So if there're two years to suck, it's the next two. If there are two years not to be the ninth best team in the Western Conference, it's the next two.

Anyway, it's irrelevant, the Lakers are making like a high school football captain and pulling out quickly. They couldn't make Paul and Howard work, so now they're focused on Howard.

Almost everything in this post except the assessment of Dragic is wrong.
Paul is not a top 5 player
Odom is a starting SF OR PF on most teams
Scola is a starting PF on most teams
Martin is one of the better young shooting guards in the league
Attendance will suck because it is New Orleans and attendance always sucks
This being a good draft is why the Hornets were trading for 2 extra picks.
The Hornets would have easily made the playoffs with their post trade roster.

#353 Cellar-Door

• SoSH Member

• 5594 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 12:57 AM

ChrisMannixSI

He also mentions the Clippers as an option too. They have to decide whether to match the GS offer sheet to Jordan as well.

They might be one and the same. One of the names being thrown around as a bigger piece of the deal was Jordan.

of course if the Clips were willing to give up Eric Gordon Dell Demps would be driving Chris Paul to LA himself right now.

#354 nighthob

• 2833 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 01:37 AM

Lamar Odom is a starting PF on at least 20 teams. He is a backup on LA because he plays behind a top 15 player in the league in Gasol.

Lamar Odom the starting power forward was pretty mediocre for most of his career (except that one really good year under Riley in Miami, but Riley always got that out of guys). Lamar Odom the backup PF looked a whole lot better.

Luis Scola is probably a starter on just as many teams. Kevin Martin may play bad defense, but any guy who can put up points like he can is hardly mediocre.

Doubtful. 6'8" PFs don't have a great track record in the last decade or so. There are just too many taller/athletic guys that play the spot these days. There's a reason that my beloved Rockets struggled to win 43 games with that awesome twosome. And it's because they aren't very good. They're roleplayer level talent that benefit from the "Well someone has to score the points" phenomenon.

EDIT: And just to emphasize the point, allow me to put up a list of teams off the top of my head that Scola would not start for absent a rash of injuries, and it's a longer list than ten.

Atlanta (Horford, Smith)
Boston (Garnett)
Chicago (Boozer, Noah)
Dallas (Dirk, Odom, Marion. Scola wouldn't play a single minute here.)
Golden State (David Lee)
LA Lakers (Gashole)
LA Clippers (Blake)
Memphis (Randolph)
Minnesota (Love)
Miami (RuBosh)
New York (Amar'e)
OKC (Ibaka)
Philadelphia (Brand)
Portland (Aldridge)
San Antonio (Duncan)
Utah (Favors, Jefferson)

In short, if Luis Scola is your starting PF, your team better have Dwight playing center. Otherwise you have some problems.

Edited by nighthob, 11 December 2011 - 03:24 AM.

#355 nighthob

• 2833 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 01:41 AM

Almost everything in this post except the assessment of Dragic is wrong.
Paul is not a top 5 player

I stopped reading your post right there. Because you have just lost all basketball credibility with this nonsense. He is the best point guard in basketball, and the only reason that it's not by a wide margin is that the #2 PG in the NBA at the moment is also an all-time great. But he is certainly a top five player in the NBA.

#356 mahky bellhorn

• 1520 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 01:55 AM

I stopped reading your post right there. Because you have just lost all basketball credibility with this nonsense. He is the best point guard in basketball, and the only reason that it's not by a wide margin is that the #2 PG in the NBA at the moment is also an all-time great. But he is certainly a top five player in the NBA.

you could argue that bron, howard, wade, durant, and dirk are better, but he's 100% top 6. i think he's probably #5

#357 SemperFidelisSox

• suzyn

• 10365 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 02:23 AM

If the Clippers are now the front runner, that must mean they decided to include Eric Gordon this time around.

#358 A Bartlett Giamatti

• 2048 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 02:24 AM

Why they don't send him to LAC for the Bledsoe/al aminu/minnesota unprotected #1 package is beyond me. This draft is going to be phenomenal, and you'll have two top 5 picks plus increased odds at getting Davis at #1. Aminu and Bledose are both legit prospects as well. I get trying for Gordon, and I wouldn't begrudge them such a move, but stockpiling top 5 picks in this draft would be about the best way to build a foundation moving forward.

#359 mahky bellhorn

• 1520 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 02:41 AM

Why they don't send him to LAC for the Bledsoe/al aminu/minnesota unprotected #1 package is beyond me. This draft is going to be phenomenal, and you'll have two top 5 picks plus increased odds at getting Davis at #1. Aminu and Bledose are both legit prospects as well. I get trying for Gordon, and I wouldn't begrudge them such a move, but stockpiling top 5 picks in this draft would be about the best way to build a foundation moving forward.

because the clippers aren't offering the minny #1 because they're the lolclippers and too pre-disposed to losing to feel comfortable adding a player of chris paul's caliber.

#360 KevinRiley28

• 287 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 02:41 AM

With the way Rondo handled himself yesterday, he seemed very focused and has clearly matured, I feel like he's going to be fired up even more so to push his way to the top of the pg echelon

I think I'd rather stick with Rondo at this point

#361 nighthob

• 2833 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:27 AM

you could argue that bron, howard, wade, durant, and dirk are better, but he's 100% top 6. i think he's probably #5

I wouldn't put Wade or Durant over him, but if his point is "Chris Paul isn't that good!" he's not arguing that Paul is #6. Given that seems to think that swapping out Paul for roleplayers will make the Hornets ossum he seems to have a much lower opinion of CP3 than that, Which is clearly insane.

EDIT: Is abject humorlessness a requirement of being in charge of the language filters?

Edited by nighthob, 11 December 2011 - 03:29 AM.

#362 Tony C

• SoSH Member

• 8617 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:57 AM

because the clippers aren't offering the minny #1 because they're the lolclippers and too pre-disposed to losing to feel comfortable adding a player of chris paul's caliber.

Olshey is a pretty good GM, so not sure it's the same old Clippers. On the other hand, they do have the same old owner.

But that trade proposal passes the smell test in that it's heavy on youth.....and the illusion it'll grow into something. And maybe that Minny pick will.

#363 Cellar-Door

• SoSH Member

• 5594 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 04:35 AM

I wouldn't put Wade or Durant over him, but if his point is "Chris Paul isn't that good!" he's not arguing that Paul is #6. Given that seems to think that swapping out Paul for roleplayers will make the Hornets ossum he seems to have a much lower opinion of CP3 than that, Which is clearly insane.

EDIT: Is abject humorlessness a requirement of being in charge of the language filters?

In 2008-2009 I'd say Paul was a top 5 player easy, but he hasn't really been the same since he blew out his knee. As an asset I can't put him in the top 5, he's an excellent PG, but given his slight decline, and his bad knee I'd put him behind:
Lebron, Wade, Howard, Rose, Durant, Dirk, Kobe, Blake Griffin for sure, if you want to consider contracts there are probably a few more guys who are beter values.
As to the trade making them AWESOME. My point was that trade was much better than the other offers we have heard of, Chris Paul is a really good player, but he isn't an elite scorer who can carry his team if his supporting cast is garbage. NO would win more games with a legit scorer, 2 more legit front court players and a downgrade at PG, because their roster is awful, add in 2 extra 1st rounders and that's much better than the next best offer (Rondo and garbage). Chris Paul's value is limited, he's on a 1 year deal and won't resign, any team trading for him still has to extend him, and most teams he won't make a promise to. So of course you aren't getting 1 for 1 value in a trade for him.

#364 amlothi

• 368 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 07:15 AM

Lakers confirmed out. Odom to Dallas, evidently not part of Howard trade if there is one in the works.

http://espn.go.com/l...cording-sources

#365 Clears Cleaver

• SoSH Member

• 8292 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 07:29 AM

Lakers just gave Odom away. They have to be confident they are getting Howard, right? Why else give your sixth man to the defending NBA champs? Dallas loses Chandler and gets odom for less $$ per year. Problem with the clippers getting cp3 is that they won't spend up on the role players around their big three and deandre and butler. But they instantly become the most fun to watch team in the league

#366 Ed Hillel

• Wants to be startin somethin

• 41846 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 10:02 AM

Yeah, giving away Odom means they have to have something already in place for Howard, right? It's an awfully stupid move if not.

#367 swingin val

• 985 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 10:11 AM

Lamar Odom the starting power forward was pretty mediocre for most of his career (except that one really good year under Riley in Miami, but Riley always got that out of guys). Lamar Odom the backup PF looked a whole lot better.

Doubtful. 6'8" PFs don't have a great track record in the last decade or so. There are just too many taller/athletic guys that play the spot these days. There's a reason that my beloved Rockets struggled to win 43 games with that awesome twosome. And it's because they aren't very good. They're roleplayer level talent that benefit from the "Well someone has to score the points" phenomenon.

EDIT: And just to emphasize the point, allow me to put up a list of teams off the top of my head that Scola would not start for absent a rash of injuries, and it's a longer list than ten.

Atlanta (Horford, Smith)
Boston (Garnett)
Chicago (Boozer, Noah)
Dallas (Dirk, Odom, Marion. Scola wouldn't play a single minute here.)
Golden State (David Lee)
LA Lakers (Gashole)
LA Clippers (Blake)
Memphis (Randolph)
Minnesota (Love)
Miami (RuBosh)
New York (Amar'e)
OKC (Ibaka)
Philadelphia (Brand)
Portland (Aldridge)
San Antonio (Duncan)
Utah (Favors, Jefferson)

In short, if Luis Scola is your starting PF, your team better have Dwight playing center. Otherwise you have some problems.

You listed at least 5 centers in that list (Horford, Noah, Lee, Amare, Duncan)

#368 mahky bellhorn

• 1520 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 10:32 AM

In 2008-2009 I'd say Paul was a top 5 player easy, but he hasn't really been the same since he blew out his knee. As an asset I can't put him in the top 5, he's an excellent PG, but given his slight decline, and his bad knee I'd put him behind:
Lebron, Wade, Howard, Rose, Durant, Dirk, Kobe, Blake Griffin for sure, if you want to consider contracts there are probably a few more guys who are beter values.
As to the trade making them AWESOME. My point was that trade was much better than the other offers we have heard of, Chris Paul is a really good player, but he isn't an elite scorer who can carry his team if his supporting cast is garbage. NO would win more games with a legit scorer, 2 more legit front court players and a downgrade at PG, because their roster is awful, add in 2 extra 1st rounders and that's much better than the next best offer (Rondo and garbage). Chris Paul's value is limited, he's on a 1 year deal and won't resign, any team trading for him still has to extend him, and most teams he won't make a promise to. So of course you aren't getting 1 for 1 value in a trade for him.

No, the guys in the bold are definitely not better. If you're arguing that Rose and Griffin are better assets because of upside (Blake is probs close tho), that's still probably wrong and it definitely makes no sense to include Kobe (???) because he's 6 years older and not as good now as Paul.

And the trade was lol bad.

Hope that clears things up!

edit: reason being to the trade being bad, is because they split 1 year of Chris Paul into old players with like a 2 year shelf life and then pretty much all of the value of the deal is gone. They may have at least made the playoffs by keeping him and signing a PF, doubt they would have with the deal.

Edited by mahky bellhorn, 11 December 2011 - 10:57 AM.

#369 nighthob

• 2833 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:29 PM

Paul didn't "blow out his knee" he tore the meniscus.

Just stop. Please. Bryant doesn't belong on any top 5 lists and hasn't since 2009. You understand that his knee is in much worse shape, right? Which is one reason why he's turned to firing up jumpers and backing his man down, right? His first step is long gone.

You listed at least 5 centers in that list (Horford, Noah, Lee, Amare, Duncan)

Actually, no, but thanks for playing. I listed starting PFs and where teams were playing a FC I listed both PFs. Scola isn't starting on Atlanta, Chicago, Golden State, New York or San Antonio. I mean, really, do you think the Knicks would bring Amar'e off the bench to get Scola into the starting lineup? Or did you expect them to bench their defensive anchor (Tyson Chandler) so that they can put in a 6'8" hustle player? Scola sure as shit ain't starting over Horford or Josh Smith, or over Duncan and McDyess (much less Blair) in San Antonio. As Lee played more than 40% of Golden State's PF minutes, it'd be tough for him to be the full time C as well (especially as on their couple of lineups he was on the floor with Biedrins).

We can add Indiana to the list of teams that Scola couldn't start for. Denver would be on it too if their PF hadn't signed a free agent deal to play in China this year.

#370 Clears Cleaver

• SoSH Member

• 8292 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 10:15 PM

If I'm the Clippers, I would not put Eric Gordon AND Minn's 2012 1st round pick in any trade for CP3.

#371 Nomar813

• SoSH Member

• 6323 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 12:04 AM

Actually, no, but thanks for playing. I listed starting PFs and where teams were playing a FC I listed both PFs. Scola isn't starting on Atlanta, Chicago, Golden State, New York or San Antonio. I mean, really, do you think the Knicks would bring Amar'e off the bench to get Scola into the starting lineup? Or did you expect them to bench their defensive anchor (Tyson Chandler) so that they can put in a 6'8" hustle player? Scola sure as shit ain't starting over Horford or Josh Smith, or over Duncan and McDyess (much less Blair) in San Antonio. As Lee played more than 40% of Golden State's PF minutes, it'd be tough for him to be the full time C as well (especially as on their couple of lineups he was on the floor with Biedrins).

We can add Indiana to the list of teams that Scola couldn't start for. Denver would be on it too if their PF hadn't signed a free agent deal to play in China this year.

Purely nit-picking, but Scola would likely start in Atlanta. They'd use Smith at the 3 like they do when they start Collins at the 5 with Horford at the 4.

#372 Infield Infidel

• teaching korea american

• 7998 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 12:18 AM

If I'm the Clippers, I would not put Eric Gordon AND Minn's 2012 1st round pick in any trade for CP3.

How about their other first rounder? This draft should be loaded

If they somehow keep Gordon, sign Jordan, and trade for Paul, they are loaded

Starting five Paul/Gordon/Butler/Blake/Jordan.

#373 nighthob

• 2833 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 01:21 AM

How about their other first rounder? This draft should be loaded

Their other first rounder belongs to Boston, they can't deal it.

#374 scottyno

• 2862 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 02:33 AM

LA times is reporting the clippers are close to a deal for paul for bledsoe aminu kaman and the wolves #1 pick, that seems like a ridiculously good deal for the clips and a very scary team next year and going forward if they can convince paul to stay

#375 Jed Zeppelin

• SoSH Member

• 15317 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 03:00 AM

That would be an excellent deal for LAC. Bledsoe has some potential but if you can keep Paul it doesn't matter anyways - think the Sox trading Rizzo for Gonzalez, except Bledsoe's not even remotely a great prospect. Not sold on Aminu either who is a classic tweener, and Kaman is an expiring deal. The Minny #1 could become a really nice piece in a strong draft, but if LAC can keep CP it's worth it. Rondo is still easily the best player NO could have received, but Boston didn't have the unprotected pick trump card, or apparently enough young players with upside who haven't yet gotten the chance to prove they're not that good.

Edited by Jed Zeppelin, 12 December 2011 - 03:01 AM.

#376 Clears Cleaver

• SoSH Member

• 8292 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:07 AM

That's a good deal for both teams. Clippers become must-see, potential title team in a year or so. I hope Paul stays there. For NO they get two rotation guys younger than 23, kaman is an expiring contract and Poe rial top three pick in best draft in years

#377 Grin&MartyBarret

• 3340 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:53 AM

ESPN reporting now that Beldsoe is not in the deal, and Gordon is. Hell of a deal for New Olreans if it's Gordon and the Minnesota #1.

Of course, Chris Paul opted in for 2013, which raised his value, so it's hard to compare this trade to the first Lakers/Houston/New Orleans version.

#378 PBDWake

• 2709 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:57 AM

That would be an excellent deal for LAC. Bledsoe has some potential but if you can keep Paul it doesn't matter anyways - think the Sox trading Rizzo for Gonzalez, except Bledsoe's not even remotely a great prospect. Not sold on Aminu either who is a classic tweener, and Kaman is an expiring deal. The Minny #1 could become a really nice piece in a strong draft, but if LAC can keep CP it's worth it. Rondo is still easily the best player NO could have received, but Boston didn't have the unprotected pick trump card, or apparently enough young players with upside who haven't yet gotten the chance to prove they're not that good.

I'm actually shocked about this, because Wallach said (multiple times) on the way into work today that the Clippers submitted a deal which was Eric Gordon, Aminu, Kaman, and the Minny #1 for Paul, but the league rejected it, saying it wanted Bledsoe instead of Gordon, which makes... no sense at all to me.

#379 fairlee76

• 1530 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:16 AM

I'm actually shocked about this, because Wallach said (multiple times) on the way into work today that the Clippers submitted a deal which was Eric Gordon, Aminu, Kaman, and the Minny #1 for Paul, but the league rejected it, saying it wanted Bledsoe instead of Gordon, which makes... no sense at all to me.

I heard the same thing and it has to be a mistake. The trade with Bledsoe is highway robbery for the Clippers.

As for the top 10 list debate raging above, would folks really choose Paul over Rose? Given Paul's injury history and Rose's relative youth I would definitely opt for Rose.

#380 Grin&MartyBarret

• 3340 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:51 AM

ESPN reporting now that Beldsoe is not in the deal, and Gordon is. Hell of a deal for New Olreans if it's Gordon and the Minnesota #1.

Of course, Chris Paul opted in for 2013, which raised his value, so it's hard to compare this trade to the first Lakers/Houston/New Orleans version.

Yahoo is reporting that Gordon isn't in the deal now. Not sure who to trust exactly, but generally Woj is pretty reliable.

#381 ElcaballitoMVP

• 2108 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:51 AM

According to Chris Broussard on Sportscenter just now, the Hornets want Bledsoe AND Gordon. Not one or the other. This is in addition to Kaman's expiring deal, Aminu AND the Minny unprotected #1 pick. That would be one hell of a haul.

#382 Grin&MartyBarret

• 3340 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:12 AM

According to Chris Broussard on Sportscenter just now, the Hornets want Bledsoe AND Gordon. Not one or the other. This is in addition to Kaman's expiring deal, Aminu AND the Minny unprotected #1 pick. That would be one hell of a haul.

On Twitter, Broussard is implying that it's not really the "Hornets" who want Bledsoe and Gordon, but instead it's the NBA. If this deal falls apart because the NBA wouldn't accept Gordon and Minnesota's #1 without Bledsoe being included, Stern has lost his mind.

#383 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 11576 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:27 AM

On Twitter, Broussard is implying that it's not really the "Hornets" who want Bledsoe and Gordon, but instead it's the NBA. If this deal falls apart because the NBA wouldn't accept Gordon and Minnesota's #1 without Bledsoe being included, Stern has lost his mind.

Yeah, no shit. Eric Gordon + Minnesota's lottery pick + Aminu is a very fair compensation for Chris Paul and far exceeds any other package I've seen rumored to-date. As a side note, this trade would make it a near certainty that the Celtics would get the Clips' 2012 draft pick.

#384 jon abbey

• Shanghai Warrior

• 17049 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:28 AM

Stern has lost his mind.

Peter Vecsey said in his column this weekend that it was the imminent buyer of New Orleans that had a problem with the Lakers deal. If this was the case, dunno why Stern wouldn't just say that and take the heat off himself. I really hope Stern continues to veto deals and NO ends up losing Paul for nothing.

#385 Brickowski

• 3615 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:43 AM

Peter Vecsey said in his column this weekend that it was the imminent buyer of New Orleans that had a problem with the Lakers deal. If this was the case, dunno why Stern wouldn't just say that and take the heat off himself. I really hope Stern continues to veto deals and NO ends up losing Paul for nothing.

I'm not surprised by this. But the league is likely under NDA with the prospective buyer and not at liberty to disclose that it was the buyer who objected to the deal.

#386 Clears Cleaver

• SoSH Member

• 8292 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:52 AM

IF I were LAC, I would say "fuck you Jobu, we do it oursleves" and trade for Howard. no way you give up Gordon and Minne's pick

#387 Jeff Van GULLY

• 2614 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 11:45 AM

Apparently it's a choice between Gordon or that 1st round pick.

If I'm the Hornets, I take the pick, tank the season and presumably wind up with two top-5 picks. Rebuild like Seattle did with Green/Durant.

What does Gordon get New Orleans? He's a RFA after this season and will presumably want to bolt NOLA. I know it's not entirely his choice but with egos driving this league more than ever, why would the Hornets want to keep an unhappy Gordon?

#388 Burt Reynoldz

• 1859 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 11:48 AM

Perhaps I just don't follow the NBA as closely as I thought I did, but I really, really don't understand the value everyone is placing on Chris Paul here. Yes, he's been a great NBA player. He's also had health issues, will command a mega-deal to sign, and (who knows) might still choose free agency after this year (I understand that LAC has talked about at least picking up his option for 2012-13, so they get 2 years out of him). To me, the Clippers giving up a package of Gordon, Aminu, Kaman, and Minnesota's 2012 #1 seems insane.

#389 nighthob

• 2833 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 11:51 AM

Purely nit-picking, but Scola would likely start in Atlanta. They'd use Smith at the 3 like they do when they start Collins at the 5 with Horford at the 4.

No, the Hawks would not run out a starting front line of a 6'9" C and two 6'8" forwards. They aren't Phoenix playing smallball.

Yeah, no shit. Eric Gordon + Minnesota's lottery pick + Aminu is a very fair compensation for Chris Paul and far exceeds any other package I've seen rumored to-date. As a side note, this trade would make it a near certainty that the Celtics would get the Clips' 2012 draft pick.

They traded their 2011 #1 (which must have smarted after the new CBA included an amnesty clause), so if they trade the Minnesota pick they can't deal their own. So Boston would be more or less screwed by this trade because absent a CP3 injury the pick would fall into the 25-30 range in 2013.

#390 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16114 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 12:12 PM

Stern is being unreasonable with the Clippers in what they want back for Paul. There's no way that is fair value for the Clippers to give up for him. Maybe he's trying to stick it to Paul for trying to dictate where he wants to go.

#391 Cellar-Door

• SoSH Member

• 5594 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 12:36 PM

The Clippers are overpaying already if reports are correct. I know they want to make a big splash to steal headlines from the Lakers, but Eric Gordon should not be part of any package for Paul that includes other legit pieces. He's 22 and as a restricted next year you are going to be able to lock him up for 4-5 more years.

#392 Nomar813

• SoSH Member

• 6323 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 01:00 PM

No, the Hawks would not run out a starting front line of a 6'9" C and two 6'8" forwards. They aren't Phoenix playing smallball.

Are you kidding? That's exactly the lineup they've been running out there for the last four years - Horford, Smith, Marvin Williams.

#393 Nomar813

• SoSH Member

• 6323 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 01:10 PM

Stern is being unreasonable with the Clippers in what they want back for Paul. There's no way that is fair value for the Clippers to give up for him. Maybe he's trying to stick it to Paul for trying to dictate where he wants to go.

With the cavalcade of debacles the Hornets have been involved in so far, it's anybody's guess. If it's true that the prospective owner wanted the Lakers deal nixed, maybe he would rather keep Paul and take his chances, gambling that Paul wouldn't walk away from an extra $30 million.

#394 Tony C

• SoSH Member

• 8617 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 01:10 PM

The Clippers are overpaying already if reports are correct. I know they want to make a big splash to steal headlines from the Lakers, but Eric Gordon should not be part of any package for Paul that includes other legit pieces. He's 22 and as a restricted next year you are going to be able to lock him up for 4-5 more years.

I agree, but with all the contradictory rumors guess have to wait to see what it is. But the Clippers shouldn't give up Gordon.

#395 KevinRiley28

• 287 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 01:46 PM

If this deal does fall apart, what will Danny offer?

Rondo, JO, and two firsts?

#396 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16114 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 01:46 PM

Bill Simmons tweets that he hears the Clippers deal for CP3 is off.

#397 JBill

• 1930 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 01:47 PM

Bill Simmons tweets that he hears the Clippers deal for CP3 is off.

Just got word the Clips/CP3 trade is definitely off. Can only be revived if NBA bends on its super-steep asking price. This is I-N-S-A-N-E.

https://twitter.com/sportsguy33/status/146299083953410048
link to tweet
link to tweet

#398 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16114 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 01:48 PM

If this deal does fall apart, what will Danny offer?

Rondo, JO, and two firsts?

If they won't do the deal with a combo of Gordon, Bledsoe, Aminu, Kaman, and assorted picks then there's no way in hell Rondo, JO, and 2 firsts comes close. They can't trade Green so their package is meaningless right now.

#399 PBDWake

• 2709 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 02:14 PM

This is a disaster. David Stern is a train wreck right now, and really has been for a while. Unfortunately, given that I think his current position is just him catering to a majority of ownerships, the next commissioner is likely to be even worse. The NBA is not in a great place right now.

*edit*
I was tooling on him for vetoing the Lakers trade as indefensible, and challenged a better deal to come through. Inexplicably, as if to save his bacon, one was actually produced. And now that's been vetoed. None of these owners would ever go out of their way to make a point by sacrificing their own team to make a point that "we don't trade players just because they won't re-sign", but when there's a league owned team they can penalize on their behalf, it's now the perfect time for that statement.

That's their perogative, as owners of the team, and Chris Paul is under contract. But don't bullshit me with "Basketball reasons", or "what's good for the Hornets", or any of that shit. You're giving a middle finger to the NBAPA, and New Orleans is your sacrificial lamb to make it happen.

Edited by PBDWake, 12 December 2011 - 02:19 PM.

#400 BigMike

• SoSH Member

• 18129 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 02:21 PM

If they won't do the deal with a combo of Gordon, Bledsoe, Aminu, Kaman, and assorted picks then there's no way in hell Rondo, JO, and 2 firsts comes close. They can't trade Green so their package is meaningless right now.

Right, Celtics have nothing to compare to that package. I was stunned the Clippers went that high.

Stern clearly doesn't want him dealt. Now maybe if they resolve the ownership at some point before the deadline I guess something might still happen