Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

2011-2012 General NBA Discussion Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
341 replies to this topic

#301 JohnnyTheBone

• 3855 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:00 PM

I like Jeff Van Gundy. He is going off right now on flopping! He pretty much just called Stern out. Awesome.

That was pretty irresponsible of Van Gundy, don't you think? I mean, he has no quantifiable proof that the call was bogus.

#302 dolomite133

• everything I write, think and feel is stupid

• 5920 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:38 AM

Orlando making the postseason with either no Howard or a limited Howard is a real bummer. It also means one elite, non-Celtics team will be able to sleepwalk through the first round, which is also a bummer.

#303 slamminsammya

• 397 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:35 PM

That was pretty irresponsible of Van Gundy, don't you think? I mean, he has no quantifiable proof that the call was bogus.

I just found a marvelous proof; the details of which are too long to fit into this forum.

#304 Brickowski

• 3591 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:50 PM

I don'ty know if this deserves a separate thread but Billy Hunter and Derek Fisher are feuding and all is not happy in NBPA land.

http://sports.yahoo.....Napz0CsC68vLYF

Edited by Brickowski, 20 April 2012 - 12:50 PM.

#305 NYCSox

• chris hansen of goats

• 6311 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:11 PM

If the Bobcats don't win one of their last four games, they will have the worst winning percentage in NBA history at 7-59 (.106), which is worse than the 1972 Sixers who went 9-73 (.110).

Fortunately for them they have four decent to good shots at avoidiing infamy (home games against Sac and NYK and away at Wash and Orlando).

#306 simplyeric

• Professional Writer

• 3337 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:07 PM

Poor D Wade. How bad is a dislocated index finger?

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy...maybe he'll start shooting free throws with his other hand.

#307 BoredViewer

• 2219 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:37 PM

There goes World Peace... probably done for at least 10 games?

#308 collings94

• PipPip
  • 1182 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:28 AM

There goes World Peace... probably done for at least 10 games?

People are saying 3 games, and I think thats bullshit. With his history he should get at least 7, maybe 10 games. He also probably had the most enthusiastic celebreation for a 2nd Quarter dunk in the history of basketball.

#309 jose melendez

• Earl of Acie

• 12644 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:11 PM

Given his past, he maybe should be done for the year. He should at least be out as long as Harden can't play.

#310 Gdiguy

• 465 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:04 PM

It looks like the 'union asks Derek Fisher to step down' controversy last week may have been the beginning of a union power struggle:
http://espn.go.com/n...family-millions

[union executive director Billy] Hunter's daughter and daughter-in-law work for the union, another daughter is special counsel at a law firm used by the association and his son is a principal at a financial planning and investment firm that was paid over $45,000 per month the last fiscal year to run the union's financial awareness program and advise on investments, the report states, citing U.S. Labor Department filings.
Fisher sent a letter earlier this week to player reps informing them that the union's executive committee had decided the NBPA should undergo a business review, according to one Eastern Conference player representative. Several executive committee members, however, were surprised by the tone of the letter because the decision was not unanimous, another source said.
According to several sources, Hunter then contacted each committee member and convinced them the union already undergoes a regular internal audit and that Fisher's suggestion was both redundant and a personal attack on Hunter's leadership.
The committee, sources say, reversed course on the business review and, as an added measure, agreed to ask Fisher to step down.

#311 dolomite133

• 5920 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:02 PM

I'm really hoping the current playoff matchups stand and its Miami-NYK in the first round. If the Heat luck out and draw either the 76ers or the Orlando ghost ship, I will be very disappointed.

#312 scottyno

• 2851 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:56 PM

artest only gets 7 games for the elbow, what a fucking joke for a multiple multiple repeat offender, I wonder if the NBA realizes that they just set him up to return for a potential 2nd round series against the Thunder. They're going to look really bad if Artest is playing in that series while Harden still has concussion symptoms and can't go

#313 Boston Brawler

• 4485 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:59 PM

artest only gets 7 games for the elbow, what a fucking joke for a multiple multiple repeat offender, I wonder if the NBA realizes that they just set him up to return for a potential 2nd round series against the Thunder. They're going to look really bad if Artest is playing in that series while Harden still has concussion symptoms and can't go

Just heard this as well. What a joke. I'd really love a Shanahan type explanation why a serial offender and general assclown was only given seven games for intentionally elbowing and concussing someone.

#314 Boston Brawler

• 4485 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:08 PM

Stern says:

"The concussion suffered by James Harden demonstrates the danger posed by violent acts of this kind, particularly when they are directed at the head area," NBA Commissioner David Stern said. "We remain committed to taking necessary measures to protect the safety of NBA players, including the imposition of appropriate penalties for players with a history of on-court altercations."

The Lakers GM says:

"Metta has for the most part been a model citizen both on and off the court since joining the Lakers. Still, his most recent lapse in judgement is not to be condoned or accepted. His actions could have seriously injured another player, and his absence during this suspension will hurt our team as well. While we accept the league's decision, we will be supportive of Metta and try to help him be more professional on the court."

Of course the Lakers accept. 7 is generous.

#315 scottyno

• 2851 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:30 PM

we want to protect the safety of our players, which is why we're going to let a crazy maniac who just threw a vicious elbow for no reason which concussed a player, and has a history, back on the court for the most important part of our season

#316 estreetfan

• 394 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:40 PM

I have been going to physical therapy for a while because of a bad knee injury. There is a guy there I befriended named Jeff who is pretty bad off physically. He uses a walker to get around and he is sharp as a tac. He is still a big-wig with the NBA and Game Break. He told me he lived in Atlanta for seventeen years until his emergency surgery.
Jeff does some of the hiring and he critiques NBA Shows so he is great friends with Barkley, Ernie Johnson, Kenny Smith, Weber and all the crew. He told me he turned down Stephen A Smith for a job and he said he was too persistent after being told no several times. In addition, Jeff said he wouldn't be a good match for the show. I did laugh at that.
I love listening to his stories about the NBA. The other day he rattled off the Celtic teams of the mid-nineties like it was yesterday (and all their colleges). I have yet to stump him. If anybody has "that" question they want to know, please let me know and I will ask him.
With the playoffs coming up, I am pumped about the Celts.
I love the Celtics but I don't know as much about the NBA as many of you.
I hope this thread is appropriate and I am not trying to be a fathead. I just think it is cool talking with somebody who knows so much.
Thanks,
Sean

#317 Curtis Pride

• 789 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:55 PM

Well, any change of subject is welcome at this point... It takes my mind off World Peace for a while.

#318 lars10

• 1944 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:03 AM

Lakers GM says, "His actions could have seriously injured another player"

Because as we all know by now concussions aren't serious injuries...

Edited by lars10, 25 April 2012 - 03:04 AM.

#319 collings94

• PipPip
  • 1182 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:58 AM

When Artest swung that elbow, didn't anyone else think it was a little funny? I know, Harden is legitimately hurt, but damn, Artest is one crazy motherfucker!

#320 simplyeric

• Professional Writer

• 3337 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:34 AM

Well, any change of subject is welcome at this point... It takes my mind off World Peace for a while.

Seriously.

I hate world peace.

oh wait you capitalized that. Shoot I thought we were hating on the aspirations of Miss World contestants.

#321 simplyeric

• Professional Writer

• 3337 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:39 AM

I have been going to physical therapy for a while because of a bad knee injury. There is a guy there I befriended named Jeff who is pretty bad off physically. He uses a walker to get around and he is sharp as a tac. He is still a big-wig with the NBA and Game Break. He told me he lived in Atlanta for seventeen years until his emergency surgery.
Jeff does some of the hiring and he critiques NBA Shows so he is great friends with Barkley, Ernie Johnson, Kenny Smith, Weber and all the crew. He told me he turned down Stephen A Smith for a job and he said he was too persistent after being told no several times. In addition, Jeff said he wouldn't be a good match for the show. I did laugh at that.
I love listening to his stories about the NBA. The other day he rattled off the Celtic teams of the mid-nineties like it was yesterday (and all their colleges). I have yet to stump him. If anybody has "that" question they want to know, please let me know and I will ask him.
With the playoffs coming up, I am pumped about the Celts.
I love the Celtics but I don't know as much about the NBA as many of you.
I hope this thread is appropriate and I am not trying to be a fathead. I just think it is cool talking with somebody who knows so much.
Thanks,
Sean

It would be really cool to try to get some current "dirt" from him, just about how those guys feel about Lebron, or the current officiating, etc. Doesn't sound like it's his thing to dig into that, but it would be interesting.

#322 fairlee76

• 1479 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:54 AM

When Artest swung that elbow, didn't anyone else think it was a little funny? I know, Harden is legitimately hurt, but damn, Artest is one crazy motherfucker!

No. Did you really need additional proof that he's insane? His return in time for a series with the Thunder will make that even more of a must watch, though. But, as Gary Tanguay said last night, I would love for Artest to go away for good. Even better would be for him to do something that further embarassed the league - maybe an on-court assault of the Thunder mascot?

#323 LESDL

• armed against all shadows

• 1550 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:54 AM

You can't be serious.

I just saw the replay last night for the first time, and no, I didn't think it was one tiny bit funny. Yes, he's a crazy fuck and the look on his face as he swung the elbow attests to that. But the guy should not be allowed to return to the floor this season, period. Allowing him back at all is absolutely disgusting. This is a weak move by the NBA.

#324 mandro ramtinez

• 1125 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:15 AM

I wish that waste of space had been booted from the NBA years ago. MWP should be struck by lightning for that three in 2010.

#325 PedroSpecialK

• Comes at you like a tornado of hair and the NHL salary cap

• 16834 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:35 AM

This is his 14th suspension, right?

...and I thought Brendan Shanahan was bad. One round of a playoff series (essentially) is a god damned joke.

#326 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 11347 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:51 AM

This is his 14th suspension, right?

...and I thought Brendan Shanahan was bad. One round of a playoff series (essentially) is a god damned joke.

A bigger joke is that it starts in the regular season so if the Lakers go to a Game 7 in the first round, MWP will be able to play. Way to go, Stern.

#327 collings94

• PipPip
  • 1182 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:05 AM

You can't be serious.

I just saw the replay last night for the first time, and no, I didn't think it was one tiny bit funny. Yes, he's a crazy fuck and the look on his face as he swung the elbow attests to that. But the guy should not be allowed to return to the floor this season, period. Allowing him back at all is absolutely disgusting. This is a weak move by the NBA.

I know what he did was fucked up, and I really hope Harden can return because I like watching him play, and if the Celtics get knocked out early, I'm pulling for OKC all the way. But if there was one guy to do something like this, it has to be Artest right? I just thought it was a litte funny just because it was Artest, who, if you took a survey of NBA fans on who they thought would most likely do something like this, would get like 80% of the vote.

The fact that he's allowed to come back is ridiculos though. This is his 14th suspension. In the real world, if you were arrested 14 times, you would probably be thrown in jail for some hard time, because obviously your not learning anything from your previous punishments. Didn't he also get ejected from TWO games during last years series with Dallas? The fact of the matter is that due to the weak discpline by Stern, we could possibly see Lakers vs Thunder, with Artest playing, which means big ratings, and a big payday.

#328 Beomoose

• SoSH Member

• 8446 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:13 PM

The only bright side to 7 is that this keeps alive my secret desire that the thug formally known as Ron Artest will succumb to one of his blood rages after a dunk and proceed to tear Clay Bennet's head off in celebration.

#329 Nomar813

• SoSH Member

• 6235 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:19 PM

With their 22nd straight loss, the Bobcats have officially not won a game in one-third of a season.

#330 DukeSox

• Rick Derris

• 8157 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:58 PM

With their 22nd straight loss, the Bobcats have officially not won a game in one-third of a season.

They're so bad, JJ Redick dropped 31 on them.

#331 Jed Zeppelin

• SoSH Member

• 15229 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:54 PM

It's too bad about Artest. Some guys can make some insanity really work for them, but he's never been able to control it the way a guy like KG does. He's one of the most physical wing defenders I've ever watched and is the kind of player we'd look at as a key part of multiple championship teams if he could have just reeled it the fuck in.

#332 sibpin

• 2627 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:48 PM

2012 jersey sales at the NYC NBA store and online: Rose #1 over the last 12 months, Lin #1 this season. Somehow Paul Pierce, who has worn the same jersey for the last 14 seasons, outsold new Clipper Chris Paul.

#333 collings94

• PipPip
  • 1182 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:26 PM

Here comes Kobe, do you guys think he scores at least 38 tonight?

#334 Saby

• PipPip
  • 1247 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:29 PM

Kobe sitting out tonight's game. Scoring title is KD's.

#335 jmcc5400

• 1823 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:40 PM

Somehow Paul Pierce, who has worn the same jersey for the last 14 seasons, outsold new Clipper Chris Paul.

The period measured was from April 2011 to April 2012. So, Pierce had the benefit of eight months of sales before Paul was traded to the Clippers. Gives an idea of how crazy the Lin sales must have been for those couple of months to spike him up to number 2.

Edited by jmcc5400, 26 April 2012 - 04:42 PM.

#336 sfip

• directly related to Marilyn Monroe

• 7368 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:59 PM

And with their 23rd straight loss, they've surpassed the 9-73 '72-'73 76ers for the worst season record.

#337 dolomite133

• 5920 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:35 PM

Cetlics playing their starters tonight was a super dumb idea. Pierce injury probably isn't anything, but it never should have happened.

#338 Brickowski

• 3591 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:50 PM

Billy Hunter is now being investigated by the U.S. attorney's office. I guess nepotism knows no bounds.

#339 PBDWake

• 2622 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:35 PM

I guess this is the place for it?

The Wizards traded pick no. 46 and Rashard Lewis to the New Orleans Hornets for Emeka Okafor and Trevor Ariza. A nice little upgrade for the Wiz, imo.

#340 Cellar-Door

• SoSH Member

• 5400 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:25 PM

The Wizards traded pick no. 46 and Rashard Lewis to the New Orleans Hornets for Emeka Okafor and Trevor Ariza. A nice little upgrade for the Wiz, imo.

Really? I think it is an awful move, they don't become a contender, save 3M this year, but lose more than 22M in cap space in 2013.

#341 Brickowski

• 3591 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:52 PM

LOL. Washington now has a roster with Nene, Okafor, Blatche and Ariza combining for roughly 40 million a year in salary through 2014. Grunfeld strikes again.

#342 Cellar-Door

• SoSH Member

• 5400 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:06 PM

LOL. Washington now has a roster with Nene, Okafor, Blatche and Ariza combining for roughly 40 million a year in salary through 2014. Grunfeld strikes again.

blatche will get amnestied, but yeah they are stacking up on overpaid mediocre frontcourt players.