Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Jersey help

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

#1 yeahlunchbox

• 155 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:05 PM

I'm looking to buy a Bruins jersey during the holidays, and had a question about the levels available. I was just planning on getting a Premier level jersey, and went to an Olympia Sports to check one out in person before I bought online. I found that the numbers seemed closer to the quality you'd see on a tshirt jersey as opposed to an authentic jersey. Was I looking at a poor quality jersey? If that's how all Premier jerseys are, do the numbers hold up well to repeated wearing and washing, or am I better off saving for an authentic? Thanks for any help you can give me.

#2 Nuf Ced

• stupidity monitor

• 9,310 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:38 PM

Per the NHL Shop website:

Reebok Premier jerseys are engineered and constructed to duplicate the look of on-ice team designs. The front has a sewn-on team crest while the back features screen-printed twill letters and numbers.

Reebok EDGE Authentic are more like the jerseys worn by NHL players. They feature pro-weight fabric with all sewn-on graphics. These jerseys are designed for fans seeking the same high quality as worn by their favorite players.

Just know that an authentic jersey customized with name and number goes for about $330 in the US.

#3 Dim13

• 1,193 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:57 PM

I had a really excellent experience with this site. Granted, it wasn't a Bruins jersey, but I was thrilled with the quality. You can get a Premier style jersey customized here and they sew everything on (name, numbers, Stanley Cup patches).

I got an away Red Wings Lidstrom with a Stanley Cup patch and everything looked great and authentic.

Edited by Dim13, 29 November 2011 - 02:16 PM.

#4 Blacken

• Paddy Tanniger the Caddy Manager

• 8,433 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:04 PM

Just know that an authentic jersey customized with name and number goes for about $330 in the US.

River City Sports does their own (correct) number/name stitching on authentics for $250. I got mine for like $180 on sale at the end of 2009-2010.

#5 mikeford

• woolwich!

• 17,868 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:30 PM

Also, if you buy an EDGE jersey in 2011-12, you're getting this piece of shit jersey made in Indonesia because Reebok insists upon fucking their customers. Google "indo-Edge NHL" if you want to know more about that.

#6 MoGator71

• 4,970 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:01 PM

I have bought from both River City and SportsK and had excellent experiences with both. SportsK generally has a decent selection of star players already made up (mostly Wings, but plenty of other players as well) so you won't have to wait all that long.

My understanding from talking to people who've bought jerseys on nhl.com is that the jerseys aren't great quality (see mikeford's post) and the lettering isn't 100% accurate font-wise, if you're super anal about that sort of thing.

#7 njexpress9

• 57 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 04:01 PM

Feel free to remove if there is a conflict.

Here is a discount (seconds or knockoff) site that sells NHL jerseys for $33.80.

http://www.jerseysoutlet.us/

Not the greatest selection and they do not take credit cards... A co-worker ordered last year and paid by Western Union. The co-worker order a Wings, Whalers (Verbeek) and Canadians (Roy) and they looked fantastic. I decided to roll the dice and bought a Neely and a NFL Brady jersey for $23. I cannot compare the quality to the $200+ authentics but I've worn the Neely jersey 5-6 times it still looks great. All the panels/patches are stitched, excellent color w/ fight strap... comes with tags/holograms.

BUYER BEWARE as the ability to return for exchange is not the normal standard... ex: one person bought a Mark Bavaro #89 jersey and received Kevin Boss #89 jerseys... the best way to handle is to request pics of the jersey requested.

#8 ForceAtHome

• 4,012 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 07:12 PM

It really depends what you want, how real you want it to be, and how much you're willing to spend.

* On the lower end, you have the premier jersey, which you mentioned, feels kind of cheap and plastic-y for my liking. I think they retail for over 100 customized, too, so it's not like they're that cheap, either. I'm not a huge fan.

* You can also go the direction of a customized authentic from NHL.com, which I strongly suggest against. Customization from NHL.com is notoriously poor and their prices are about as high as you'll find. Other than speed, they don't really have an upside.

* You can get a customized authentic from another website (e.g., IceJerseys, River City Sports, and Exclusive Pro Sports are all very legitimate). This will still be pricey, but usually cheaper than NHL.com and much better quality. The downside of this option is the wait is generally much longer... depending on your luck, it could be anywhere from 2-10 weeks to get a customized jersey. Depending on the time of year, this can run you anywhere between $170-330. This time of year, it's going to be towards the higher end since we're mid-season. I know some of the websites had some Black Friday discounts on customization, and I can't remember if they typically do a holiday discount. Check around if this option interests you. This past summer there were some end-of-year sales at RCS with blank authentics going for $100 and then customization was $60-70, a very good deal on new authentics.

* Recently, of course, there's the trend of knock off jerseys from China. I'm sure you can find any number of sites from which you can order. The upside is that they're much cheaper -- $30-50, I think? Plus shipping, maybe? I'm not too familiar. The downside is that they're not "real." They most closely try to approximate the authentic jerseys, so they have fabric/twill/whatever materials used (rather than that plastic-y premier stuff), but they're not totally accurate. There's definitely a noticeable difference in the quality, but that may not matter to you. The lettering and materials are usually off a bit, and the lettering/crests on jerseys are notorious for bubbling up/being puffy on fakes, among other flaws (such as how shiny they are, the fight strap being wrong, etc). If you just want a jersey to bang around in and wear and don't care that much, this is the most cost efficient option.

* Finally, depending on what player you want and if you're willing to buy a used jersey, one option is eBay or trying to buy off someone in a jersey forum. Beware of fakes on eBay, in particular, where they are really running rampant. Again, this really depends on who you want to get. If you're trying to find a big name player, you'll obviously have better luck than if you're trying to get that Danny Paille Bruins jerseys (although I've seen some Buffalo Pailles floating around). You'd be surprised as what you can find if you're willing to do some leg work and be patient. If you need your jersey in a rush for the holidays, your options may be much more limited, of course.

One final note about authentic jerseys from this year that Mikeford alluded to above. This year's retail authentic jerseys (Indo-Edge 1.0s) are made in Indonesia for the first time ever. The on-ice jerseys worn by players, Edge 2.0s, are made in Canada. Prior to this year (when the Reebok vector was on the back neck instead of the Reebok wordmark that is new to this season), the retail Edge 1.0 jerseys were made in Canada. Edge 2.0 jerseys are almost exclusively game worn, game issued, or team issued for NHL teams, so it's typically hard to get a hold of one (they still are and always have been made in Canada). The quality in the Indo-Edge 1.0 is much lower than in the older 1.0 jerseys from Canada (any season but this current one), so if you're getting a player that's not a rookie this year, I'd look for a place that sells Edge 1.0s with the Reebok vector rather than the wordmark. I believe Stitches says on their website that they're only selling Canadian-made 1.0 jerseys (meaning last year's model with the vector) since they do not want to sell the jersey made in Indonesia.

Edited by ForceAtHome, 29 November 2011 - 07:16 PM.

#9 MoGator71

• 4,970 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:01 PM

What's everyone's take on the Reebok jerseys? For me the replicas are pretty crap, and the fact that they're selling Edge 1.0's as "authentic" when they're clearly NOT authentic on-ice jerseys really turns me off. IMO they're a big step down from the old CCM and even Nike jerseys, and the Bauer AHL jerseys too.

#10 ForceAtHome

• 4,012 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:39 PM

What's everyone's take on the Reebok jerseys? For me the replicas are pretty crap, and the fact that they're selling Edge 1.0's as "authentic" when they're clearly NOT authentic on-ice jerseys really turns me off. IMO they're a big step down from the old CCM and even Nike jerseys, and the Bauer AHL jerseys too.

The replicas definitely aren't as well made as older replicas were.

As for the authentics, I'm fine with the Canadian made Edge 1.0s. It's a solid jersey and was once worn by the guys in the NHL (and still worn by a few -- Phaneuf still wears one, I think, as an example). The Indonesian Edge 1.0 is definitely not on the same level and it's kind of a misnomer to call that an authentic jersey.

The Edge 2.0 is a fantastic jersey. I have a few gamers from the QMJHL and they're wonderful jerseys. The newer models might not feel as heavy duty or as classic "jersey" feel as some of the older styles (or even just the circa lockout Rbk 6100s), but in my opinion, they're awesome.

Love the Edge 2.0, like the Canadian-made Edge 1.0, feel cheated by the Indonesian-made Edge 1.0 (do not own any).

#11 mikeford

• woolwich!

• 17,868 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 10:24 PM

Force, to your knowledge is there any other way to order/get an Edge 2.0 other than buying a gameworn from Meigray or a similar type place?

Trying to survey all options before paying a place like River City for a Canadian Edge 1.0 Larsson jersey.

#12 ForceAtHome

• 4,012 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:07 AM

Force, to your knowledge is there any other way to order/get an Edge 2.0 other than buying a gameworn from Meigray or a similar type place?

Trying to survey all options before paying a place like River City for a Canadian Edge 1.0 Larsson jersey.

I don't currently know of a particularly easy way to get a 2.0 (other than the Jets, who are apparently selling 2.0s as their retail authentic instead of the Indo-Edge). You can call Meigray and ask if they have any team issued Devils jerseys left over since I believe Meigray handles NJD jerseys. If they did, I'd imagine it'd be last year's version with the RBK Vector on the back, though, and not the Wordmark which is the only jersey Larsson has worn. If you are down with getting a vector rather than a wordmark and Meigray does not have blanks available, they do appear to be selling some game issued 2.0s from the past. This Sheldon Brookbank GI 2.0, for example, is going for $225, which is not really a terrible price for a 2.0 these days. (There are other options available on Meigray, but the downside is that you're going to have trouble finding something that isn't a size 56-60 there... I don't know how big you are) If you're willing to strip it and get it re-customized, you could get a Larsson 2.0 that way (again, with the vector not wordmark).

Actually, now that I think about it, some people are saying that an eBayer apparently has access to 2.0s for a number of teams. I can't vouch for the guy personally, nor have I seen his product, but I've read on forums that he's got (at least some) real 2.0s. I haven't heard one way or another about Devils jerseys, but I'm sure you can send him a message via eBay and ask. I'm glad I still need to get my Caps Winter Classic jersey and a road white (both Canadian 1.0s) customized before I even worry about figuring out how to deal with the 2.0/Indo-edge dilemma.

Edited by ForceAtHome, 30 November 2011 - 03:11 AM.

#13 mikeford

• woolwich!

• 17,868 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:08 PM

I don't currently know of a particularly easy way to get a 2.0 (other than the Jets, who are apparently selling 2.0s as their retail authentic instead of the Indo-Edge). You can call Meigray and ask if they have any team issued Devils jerseys left over since I believe Meigray handles NJD jerseys. If they did, I'd imagine it'd be last year's version with the RBK Vector on the back, though, and not the Wordmark which is the only jersey Larsson has worn. If you are down with getting a vector rather than a wordmark and Meigray does not have blanks available, they do appear to be selling some game issued 2.0s from the past. This Sheldon Brookbank GI 2.0, for example, is going for $225, which is not really a terrible price for a 2.0 these days. (There are other options available on Meigray, but the downside is that you're going to have trouble finding something that isn't a size 56-60 there... I don't know how big you are) If you're willing to strip it and get it re-customized, you could get a Larsson 2.0 that way (again, with the vector not wordmark).

Actually, now that I think about it, some people are saying that an eBayer apparently has access to 2.0s for a number of teams. I can't vouch for the guy personally, nor have I seen his product, but I've read on forums that he's got (at least some) real 2.0s. I haven't heard one way or another about Devils jerseys, but I'm sure you can send him a message via eBay and ask. I'm glad I still need to get my Caps Winter Classic jersey and a road white (both Canadian 1.0s) customized before I even worry about figuring out how to deal with the 2.0/Indo-edge dilemma.

Yeah, I'm like 5'7, 160lbs so... 56-60 is basically a tent for me. I'm gonna have to suck it up and get a Canadian 1.0 I suppose. Thanks for the info though.

#14 Monbo Jumbo

• notices black scientists

• 19,276 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:24 PM

I have had sewn on numbers and letters from both River City and IceJerseys and there is a difference. I'm not at home now, but I'll look later.

edit - checked my closet -
On the The IceJersey sweater, the name is sewn onto a bar, and that bar is sewn on to the jersey. The River City jersey has the letters sewn directly on to the jersey. Thr IceJersey way is how the teams do it, but as noted you can get good prices from River City.

Edited by Monbo Jumbo, 30 November 2011 - 05:13 PM.

#15 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• now batting steve sal hiney. the leftfielder, hiney

• 25,690 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:44 AM

My brother just gave me a pretty nice Lucic home jersey for my birthday. It's not a pro-weight but it looks and feels pretty damn good and all the numbers and names and crests are sewn on. I'll take a look at it tonight and see what the model is.

#16 The Napkin

• wise ass al kaprielian

• 13,725 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:17 AM

Not a Thomas?
That's an opportunity lost. If you were my brother there's no way I would have let that slide by.

#17 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• 25,690 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:18 AM

My bro isn't aware of the burning hate that's now in my past. :)

#18 SoxFanInCali

• has the rich, deep voice of a god and the penis of a scouse

• 6,382 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 07:00 PM

From browsing on a couple of different forums, apparently the best way to get the exact lettering as the player jerseys is to buy a blank one and send it to Custom Crafted. They do (or at least did at one point) all the lettering for the Bruins.

I've got a blank Premier replica jersey from a couple of years ago, and was thinking about sending it there to get lettered. Anyone used them before?

#19 ForceAtHome

• 4,012 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:02 PM

I have had sewn on numbers and letters from both River City and IceJerseys and there is a difference. I'm not at home now, but I'll look later.

edit - checked my closet -
On the The IceJersey sweater, the name is sewn onto a bar, and that bar is sewn on to the jersey. The River City jersey has the letters sewn directly on to the jersey. Thr IceJersey way is how the teams do it, but as noted you can get good prices from River City.

Depending on the jersey, it's possible that is/was the style of that team and jersey. Some teams do sew their names directly to the jersey (I know Florida has in the past, for example, I forget if they are or aren't this season). I believe the Wings have done it in the past as well. All the jerseys I have seen from RCS have nameplates. Your complaint is definitely not an issue I've ever heard raised with them.

From browsing on a couple of different forums, apparently the best way to get the exact lettering as the player jerseys is to buy a blank one and send it to Custom Crafted. They do (or at least did at one point) all the lettering for the Bruins.

I've got a blank Premier replica jersey from a couple of years ago, and was thinking about sending it there to get lettered. Anyone used them before?

The Bruins do use Custom Crafted. I've never used them, but I know they are pricey. I believe they charge about $100 to fully letter a jersey including shipping it back to you. I believe the Bruins currently use a relatively unique style of numbering/lettering where the individual letters/numbers aren't either layered or kiss-cut like most teams. Instead, the on-ice lettering/numbering are just one piece of twill that is dyed the different colors and then stitching is added to give the illusion of layers. I don't know if River City Sports, Ice Jerseys, and Exclusive Pro Sports do that, I think some or all of them layer the twill. If you want your jersey to be as authentic as possible, you're generally best off going to the source that made the jersey. For example, right now I have an old Caps eagle jersey at Cutting Edge Sports in Woburn since they did the old Caps jerseys (EPS does the current model).

#20 MoGator71

• 4,970 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 11:01 PM

Speaking of jerseys, saw one of these for $20, think I'll grab it.

Posted Image

Now I just have to decide who to get on it (it's blank). Selanne, Timonen, Tuuuuuuuukka...tough call.

#21 PedroSpecialK

• Comes at you like a tornado of hair and the NHL salary cap

• 16,983 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 01:24 AM

Gotta say a Selanne on that would look awesome.

Edited by PedroSpecialK, 03 December 2011 - 01:25 AM.

#22 MoGator71

• 4,970 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 08:12 AM

Gotta say a Selanne on that would look awesome.

Yea he would. I need to find somebody to letter that and my old Hartford Wolf Pack jersey (PJ Stock, of course).

#23 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• 25,690 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 08:20 AM

Where'd you see that for $20? That's pretty cool.

#24 j44thor

• 4,237 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 09:38 AM

I really wanted a Seidenberg jersey for the home opener this season. Started looking about a 6 weeks before the game and the soonest anyone could ship the Reebok premier with the screen print was 8-12 weeks and it was going to cost $179. Didn't work for me so I didn't get anything.

At the game I thought I would take one last shot to find a Seidenberg jersey. Turns out they have a pretty awesome service where you can buy a blank jersey and they have onsite service that will SEW any name and # on it you want and deliver it to you in your seat before the end of the game. It cost a flat $200 for a Reebok Premier with name/# and all patches sewn on as opposed to the crappy screen print.

I couldn't be happier with the purchase so if you are looking for something quick and have any plans to actually go to a game anytime soon I would highly recommend. I'm not even sure if they advertise it anywhere so you might have to ask someone at a kiosk selling jerseys about it.

Note you cannot purchase this through the TD Pro Shop, have to buy it inside the garden. The TD Pro Shop are not affiliated with the Bruins or NHL at all and will be more than happy to let you know.

#25 MoGator71

• 4,970 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 11:35 AM

Where'd you see that for $20? That's pretty cool.

At Ross. I don't think they have it up there but it's a TJ Maxx type of store. They get in random jerseys sometimes (they also had a Latvia Olympic jersey but it was a medium, no way I'm getting into that thing alive).

#26 PedroSpecialK

• Comes at you like a tornado of hair and the NHL salary cap

• 16,983 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 12:14 PM

I'd pay a pretty penny for an Arturs Irbe #1 Latvia jersey

#27 Turrable

• 2,226 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 12:23 PM

Feel free to remove if there is a conflict.

Here is a discount (seconds or knockoff) site that sells NHL jerseys for $33.80.

http://www.jerseysoutlet.us/

Not the greatest selection and they do not take credit cards... A co-worker ordered last year and paid by Western Union. The co-worker order a Wings, Whalers (Verbeek) and Canadians (Roy) and they looked fantastic. I decided to roll the dice and bought a Neely and a NFL Brady jersey for $23. I cannot compare the quality to the $200+ authentics but I've worn the Neely jersey 5-6 times it still looks great. All the panels/patches are stitched, excellent color w/ fight strap... comes with tags/holograms.

BUYER BEWARE as the ability to return for exchange is not the normal standard... ex: one person bought a Mark Bavaro #89 jersey and received Kevin Boss #89 jerseys... the best way to handle is to request pics of the jersey requested.

This one intrigues me, seeing as I'm young and broke. Seems sketchy as hell though, are we sure this isn't like the fake Chinese jersey site?

#28 cshea

• SoSH Member

• 9,673 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 12:24 PM

I really wanted a Seidenberg jersey for the home opener this season. Started looking about a 6 weeks before the game and the soonest anyone could ship the Reebok premier with the screen print was 8-12 weeks and it was going to cost $179. Didn't work for me so I didn't get anything.

At the game I thought I would take one last shot to find a Seidenberg jersey. Turns out they have a pretty awesome service where you can buy a blank jersey and they have onsite service that will SEW any name and # on it you want and deliver it to you in your seat before the end of the game. It cost a flat $200 for a Reebok Premier with name/# and all patches sewn on as opposed to the crappy screen print.

I couldn't be happier with the purchase so if you are looking for something quick and have any plans to actually go to a game anytime soon I would highly recommend. I'm not even sure if they advertise it anywhere so you might have to ask someone at a kiosk selling jerseys about it.

Note you cannot purchase this through the TD Pro Shop, have to buy it inside the garden. The TD Pro Shop are not affiliated with the Bruins or NHL at all and will be more than happy to let you know.

They do really good work there. You can also bring in blank jersey's and they'll do it, they don't need to be purchased there. I've never used it, but I have a buddy who bought a ton of blank jersey's on sale at a TJ Maxx or something, and then dropped them off there to get the names up on. The total cost of the jersey's wound out to be like $100. it's a pretty good deal. They also have the Stanley Cup Finals patches they'll sew on, as well as the banner ones the team wore on opening night. I would also recommend this place.

Speaking of Seidenberg, I saw a guy at a game recently with a #84 Seidenberg Team Gemany jersey. That was awesome. I still want a Sturm jersey from the 2010 Olympics.

#29 MoGator71

• 4,970 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 12:44 PM

If it was a XXL it would have been an Irbe...

#30 Spacemans Bong

• chapeau rose

• 16,540 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 07:04 PM

Like Wall.

Posted Image

Him, Roy of course, and the Sean Burke growth chart on the wall. Even had the Jofa goalie mask.

#31 MoGator71

• 4,970 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 08:23 PM

I played in that Jofa, but with the cat-eye cage like Osgood and Reggie Lemelin.

#32 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• 25,690 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:43 AM

They do really good work there. You can also bring in blank jersey's and they'll do it, they don't need to be purchased there. I've never used it, but I have a buddy who bought a ton of blank jersey's on sale at a TJ Maxx or something, and then dropped them off there to get the names up on. The total cost of the jersey's wound out to be like $100. it's a pretty good deal. They also have the Stanley Cup Finals patches they'll sew on, as well as the banner ones the team wore on opening night. I would also recommend this place.

Speaking of Seidenberg, I saw a guy at a game recently with a #84 Seidenberg Team Gemany jersey. That was awesome. I still want a Sturm jersey from the 2010 Olympics.

That's a pretty cool service. Do they do work on only the current model of jersey or can you bring in older style ones for them to sew up?

#33 cshea

• SoSH Member

• 9,673 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 11:37 AM

That's a pretty cool service. Do they do work on only the current model of jersey or can you bring in older style ones for them to sew up?

Unfortunately, I believe it's just the current 3rd/home/road lettering.

It's a little stand located down in the loge next to the bar, right by the escalator. I think the cost for the lettering is $75.

#34 njexpress9

• 57 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 05:16 PM

This one intrigues me, seeing as I'm young and broke. Seems sketchy as hell though, are we sure this isn't like the fake Chinese jersey site?

There are more than a few Chinese jersey sites on the web. It's not sketchy... it is what it is. Knock off, fake or less expensive alternative - take your pick. I roll the dice because I like to wear mine playing hockey in the backyard... I can't compare to authentic because I wouldn't spend the money on one. The positives are the price and the price. They look good to me and they are holding up well.

#35 Turrable

• 2,226 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:19 PM

There are more than a few Chinese jersey sites on the web. It's not sketchy... it is what it is. Knock off, fake or less expensive alternative - take your pick. I roll the dice because I like to wear mine playing hockey in the backyard... I can't compare to authentic because I wouldn't spend the money on one. The positives are the price and the price. They look good to me and they are holding up well.

My bad, I was under the impression that the Chinese sites were some sort of scam.

#36 yeahlunchbox

• 155 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:50 PM

Thanks again for all the help, I would have never known about things like authentic jerseys that weren't actually authentic. I ended up getting a jersey from sportsk.com and can't say enough positive things. The jersey looks great, the customer service was fantastic, and they got the jersey to me a couple days before the original estimate. I had previously had a good experience with River City Sports but I could get the jersey cheaper from sportsk with the Stanley Cup patch than from River City without.