Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

24/7 on HBO - A War of Words

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
45 replies to this topic

#1 PedroSpecialK

• Comes at you like a tornado of hair and the NHL salary cap

• 16,954 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 06:54 PM

Brandon Dubinsky may want to watch his back next time he touches up an icing against Philly - "Jody Shelley - it won't be long before he's out of the league, because he's a terrible hockey player

Brandon Dubinsky heard Flyers winger Jody Shelley call him a “weasel” on HBO’s 24-7 preview, and on Monday, the weasel popped.

The Rangers forward sounded off after practice on the insult from his ex-teammate, calling Shelley “a terrible hockey player” and basically calling him chicken, even though Dubinsky laid off the animal analogies.

“First of all, if I was him, I’d keep my mouth shut if I don’t play, especially since I never see him on the ice,” Dubinsky said of Shelley, who has played in only 10 of Philadelphia’s 23 games this season. “He’s usually just yapping from the bench, and I guess now he’s yapping from behind the video camera. So that’s about all I have to say."

Edited by PedroSpecialK, 28 November 2011 - 06:54 PM.

#2 TheRealness

• Don't make him go all Lucic on your ash

• 8,253 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:13 PM

That is awesome.

And he is a terrible hockey player.

#3 mikeford

• woolwich!

• 17,471 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:49 PM

They don't play til 2 days before Xmas and by then Shelley probably won't be on the Flyers anymore.

#4 MoGator71

• 4,966 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:12 PM

They don't play til 2 days before Xmas and by then Shelley probably won't be on the Flyers anymore.

I should be so lucky...Shelley can't even fight anymore.

#5 The Four Peters

• can peacefully dougie off this mortal coil

• 11,047 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:29 PM

Figured this was as good a way as any to start a thread on the HBO show coming up. This has the potential to be way better than last year, there are some epic personalities involved here. But we all know that it's going to be the Torts personality hour, and I'm perfectly ok with that.

#6 cshea

• SoSH Member

• 9,592 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:56 PM

I found this today...12:00 preview on HBO. It's the one where Shelley calls Dubinsky a weasel. There's no reason why this won't be as awesome as last year. Only downside is Pronger's injury might keep him off screen a bit. First order of business is getting mic's on Sean Avery and Scott Hartnell during games.

http://www.hbo.com/#...hSVpgIATuUXOA==

Edited by cshea, 28 November 2011 - 09:57 PM.

#7 mikeford

• woolwich!

• 17,471 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 12:15 AM

I should be so lucky...Shelley can't even fight anymore.

Well, the word is that yer GM is already talking trades. They waived Nodl today. I'd expect that Shelley's pinkslip is coming next.

#8 MoGator71

• 4,966 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 06:57 AM

Well, the word is that yer GM is already talking trades. They waived Nodl today. I'd expect that Shelley's pinkslip is coming next.

Nodl is another waste of space. Something had to give, they've got all these little not-bad-enough-for-IR nagging injuries while Schenn sits in the A because of the cap.

#9 Curtis_Lesspanic

• 512 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:27 AM

Forget Shelley and Dubinsky, just have HBO mic up Torts for an hour of every episode and I'll be happy.

#10 cshea

• SoSH Member

• 9,592 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:18 PM

Bump during intermission of the B's...

24/7 debuts tonight at 10 on HBO.

#11 cshea

• SoSH Member

• 9,592 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:03 PM

Lavi might be on a mission to break Boudreau's F bomb total from a year ago.

#12 Spaulding Smails

• Worth a thousand words

• 2,658 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 12:55 AM

Bryz is fucking hilarious.

#13 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:30 AM

Online links: http://www.watchseri...er-classic.html

"Kessel, he's a good player but don't shit your pants on him."

It is ridiculous how much Tortorella sounds like Tom E Curran

Edited by SoxScout, 15 December 2011 - 01:31 AM.

#14 PedroSpecialK

• 16,954 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 02:51 AM

Bryzgalov is the Russian Jim Morrison

"You're the dirtiest player in the league, bud. Great job." - Hartnell to Cooke

Edited by PedroSpecialK, 15 December 2011 - 03:00 AM.

#15 burstnbloom

• 980 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 05:54 AM

Bryzgalov is the Russian Jim Morrison

"You're the dirtiest player in the league, bud. Great job." - Hartnell to Cooke

The legend of Fartsmell grows. Great line.

This is going to be a good season. I find both teams compelling, whereas last year, I thought the Caps were a little soulless. Also, Bryzgalov is a lunatic.

#16 MiracleOfO2704

• not AWOL

• 2,764 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 10:17 AM

Next week's gonna be a great episode, between the Bruins game, Torts after the Dallas game...

I still wonder what a Habs-Bruins 24/7 series would look like, even though it'll never happen.

#17 slidingsideways

• knows when to say when

• 729 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 04:27 PM

I haven't seen this discussed anywhere, but I was unpleasantly surprised by Torts' old-school attitude toward players seeing trainers. After Michael Del Zotto's crash into the boards, he goes to the training room for treatment the next morning, and HBO cuts to Torts with this gem:

I have a tough time seeing players in the trainers room all the time gettin' rubbed and they're sore and they're gettin' this done, that done. I think athletes can create more problems for themselves than there really is. I think that's part of a mindset.

I don't know if he's actively discouraging players from seeing trainers, but it seems like a backward attitude to have with today's fast, physically pounding game. Players are expensive. Why not take care of them?

#18 The Four Peters

• 11,047 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:24 PM

Bryzgalov is amazing.

#19 cshea

• SoSH Member

• 9,592 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:30 PM

Lavi..."Typical Montreal"

Awesome.

#20 The Four Peters

• 11,047 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:42 PM

My god Bryzgalov. He's a cartoon character at this point.

And Briere's kids look like fat douchey versions of him.

#21 JimBoSox9

• will you be my friend?

• 12,657 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:21 PM

There's an awful lot of noise and chatter going on in the quiet room.

#22 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16,437 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:54 PM

The line when Bryz compares his huskies to hot girls was awesome. So wasn't the ass kicking of the Flyers. Tortorella comes off as a guy I'd want to play for because he tells things like it is.

Also, did Briere have kids when he was like 18?

#23 Spaulding Smails

• Worth a thousand words

• 2,658 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:34 AM

I wonder if Lavy's little encounter with Brave Steve last night will make the cut.

#24 PedroSpecialK

• 16,954 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:36 AM

I hope so, but I get the feeling it may have been staged for HBO.

#25 MoGator71

• 4,966 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 08:39 PM

Finally saw this. Simmonds sounded like Dave Killer Carlson from Slap Shot yelling at Lucic. And the Lavi/Montreal stuff was fantastic.

#26 PedroSpecialK

• 16,954 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 03:07 AM

Just getting around to watching episode 2. Bryzgalov is completely insane and rules.

#27 MoGator71

• 4,966 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 07:47 PM

He really is the caricature of classic "screw loose" goaltenders, and I love him for that. The mystique of goaltending seems to be gone, and goalies today seem to be though of as just another guy on the team...Brys being a complete goof is refreshing.

#28 RoyalOrange

• 139 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 02:48 PM

Geez, Briere comes off as a nancy ass.

I hate that this show makes my heart a little less cold toward the Flyers.

#29 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16,437 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:39 PM

This episode is awesome with the two teams playing each other. This is really a nasty rivalry.

#30 NHsoxfan4

• 388 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 12:44 AM

I loved the moment when Steve Ott is squaring up for a faceoff with Claude Giroux, and he's chirping him how he's like 5th in the NHL in faceoff percentage. "Look me up on nhl.com, I'm 5th. So I'm probably gonna beat you right here." Then Giroux wins the draw and Philly promptly scores on the possession in the zone. Such a fucking tool.

#31 kenneycb

• Hates Goose Island Beer; Loves Backdoor Play

• 7,250 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 01:41 AM

Giroux should've just said, "I'm in the top 5 of scoring on NHL .com so I'm probably going to score on you." Though I keep picturing him saying that in a Liam Neeson Taken voice.

#32 MoGator71

• 4,966 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:49 PM

The Rangers chirp douchey. Calling Shelley irrelevant (he is, granted) and calling Sestito Fantasy Camp...they just sound so uppity and New York-ish.

#33 URI

• stands for life, liberty and the uturian way of life

• 10,133 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:35 PM

I really like Rupp after this episode.

Shelley is awesome too...if this was the 1920's he'd be "Irish" Jody Shelley and be called a tomato can.

#34 MoGator71

• 4,966 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:35 PM

Tomato can is apt. He didn't used to be, but as a Flyer he's been a real bleeder.

#35 kenneycb

• Hates Goose Island Beer; Loves Backdoor Play

• 7,250 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:33 AM

Way to go for Stepan and Prust. Absolutely killing it. And I hope Girardi's son makes it to the Show.

And despite collegiate ties, Boyle is awesome.

#36 Curtis_Lesspanic

• 512 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:45 AM

The Rangers chirp douchey. Calling Shelley irrelevant (he is, granted) and calling Sestito Fantasy Camp...they just sound so uppity and New York-ish.

Fantasy camp was almost as awesome as Pete f-bombing his way past Ott. I still want to hear what Chara and Shelley said before they went. I think Shelley did it just to make sure he'd get some narration time.

#37 The Four Peters

• 11,047 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:50 AM

Yeah sorry MoGator, both of those chirps from Rupp were outstanding. Shelley is absolutely irrelevant and Sestito has been in the league for like 2 games, it was perfect. I was surprised the rookie for the Rags who got into 2 fights that game didn't get the hat after the game though.

Boyle's family is out of control, too.

#38 Spaulding Smails

• Worth a thousand words

• 2,658 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:38 PM

I loved Lavs and the other coaches having a hearty laugh at the Ott incident over a couple of beers.

Fantasy camp is one of the greatest chirps I have ever heard.

#39 MoGator71

• 4,966 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 07:17 PM

Oh they were both funny, I laughed. But it just seemed a little bitchy, especially coming from a plumber like Rupp.

Avery got waived again. Speaking of douchey, how dirty is it to waive a guy on the eve of the winter classic? I know it's Avery, everybody hates him, and talking heads will get a laugh out of it...but damn, that really sucks.

#40 PedroSpecialK

• 16,954 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 07:38 PM

Easily the best chirp in 24/7 history.

#41 Manzivino

• 2,200 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 04:04 PM

Did anybody else catch the finale last night? The chirping during the Classic was awesome. I'm upset there's no more behind-the-scenes hockey for a while outside of Oil Change. I would love a Bruins 24/7, but I don't expect them in the Classic for at least 3 more years.

"Did he do the Jag salute? How is that cool? It's the second goal of his fucking career, the guy is a fucking legend."

#42 ajml

• 376 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 04:41 PM

I loved the flyers deciding to copy ansimov if they scored and pre-emptively deciding who would fight who. That is the first and last time in my life I'm going to wish the flyers had scored

#43 Spaulding Smails

• Worth a thousand words

• 2,658 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 04:47 PM

"Fucking spear.......right in the fucking penis." - Max Talbot

#44 The Four Peters

• 11,047 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 09:56 AM

Just caught up on it this morning, absolutely fantastic finale. That was probably the best episode of all 8 so far. I loved that they spent so much time on the ice of the actual game, seemed like it played a much bigger role than last year's Classic. The two teams provided them with a ton of material, but the content, the music, the cinematography....everything was phenomenally done. The ending had me ready to jump off the couch and go skating right now.

I wish this was on year round, or even better for a playoff series.

#45 Myt1

• thinks tim thomas is a dick-fil-a

• 19,543 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:22 PM

Did anybody else catch the finale last night? The chirping during the Classic was awesome. I'm upset there's no more behind-the-scenes hockey for a while outside of Oil Change. I would love a Bruins 24/7, but I don't expect them in the Classic for at least 3 more years.

"Did he do the Jag salute? How is that cool? It's the second goal of his fucking career, the guy is a fucking legend."

"You just don't steal a man's dance."

#46 MoGator71

• 4,966 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:15 PM

"You just don't steal a man's dance."

It's funny how awesome I thought that was...but I continue to mock Ladainian Tomlinson mercilessly for crying about the Pats doing Merriman's lights out dance.