Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Who is the worst player in the NHL?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
48 replies to this topic

#1 The Four Peters

• can peacefully dougie off this mortal coil

• 11,047 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:24 PM

So Dubinsky's comments on Jody Shelley got me to asking myself an interesting question, to me at least. Who is the worst regular player in the NHL? To eliminate people who are fringe roster players, let's set an arbitrary minimum of 10 GP so far this year, so it'll be someone who's gotten at least some action. Use your own criteria, be it the worst performances so far, the worst overall talent level, the worst expected output, whatever you prefer. Just explain what criteria you're using so we know where you're coming from.

It's been pretty dead and boring in RMPS lately (winning is boring?), let's have some fun with this.

#2 The Four Peters

• 11,047 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:27 PM

At first my thought was Komisarek, but his stats aren't horrifically horrible. 4 points in 18 games, ~16 min TOI, actually a +3. Is he still as awful as usual?

Jody Shelley has to contend with 0 points in 10 GP, but he's only seeing ~4 min TOI. Can he be that bad if he's never on the ice?

I'm very interested in who people come up with.

#3 thehitcat

• 652 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:31 PM

Matt Cooke, lock the thread.

#4 The Four Peters

• 11,047 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:32 PM

I think it'll stay open.

He is far from the worst player, in fact he's a pretty damn good player when he's not a shithead (which has been the case this year). Care to try again?

#5 Blacken

• Paddy Tanniger the Caddy Manager

• 8,349 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:34 PM

Matt Cooke,

When he's not elbowing people in the head, Cooke is not at all a bad player. He's +2 with 11 points on the year, and we've all heard Greg29fan rhapsodize about Cooke, straws, and drink-stirring on the PK.

lock the thread.

This is really really dumb.

#6 cshea

• SoSH Member

• 9,591 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:39 PM

Marty Reasoner probably has a case. 18 games played, averages a bit over 12:00 min of ice time per game, and he's at 0g, 1a, -13.

Blake Comeau, just waived by NYI and picked up by the Flames, has played in 18 games and has yet to record a point, posting a -11.

Yeah, the Islanders are bad. We could probably go ahead and post half their lineup.

Edited by cshea, 28 November 2011 - 09:42 PM.

#7 PedroSpecialK

• Comes at you like a tornado of hair and the NHL salary cap

• 16,954 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:44 PM

Love this idea.

Sadly, I'd throw the gimpy Marco Sturm into the mix. He's played on two good teams this year and has 22 GP, 1 G, 1 A, and -9 in 13:16 average TOI to show for it.

#8 Spaulding Smails

• Worth a thousand words

• 2,658 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:47 PM

Roman Hamrlik 1-0-1 -10 and this:

Jesus christ I can't embed for shit tonight.

Edited by Spaulding Smails, 28 November 2011 - 09:50 PM.

#9 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:48 PM

Marty Reasoner and Blake Comeau come to mind.

#10 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16,436 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:49 PM

Kaberle. 0 goals, 5 assists in 24 games with a -11 playing 15-20 minutes per game. What the hell was Carolina thinking?

#11 ForceAtHome

• 4,012 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:50 PM

Tough to say... I'm not sure that anyone watches enough of every team to definitively say who the worst player is. When you figure that these terrible players are only getting a few minutes or ice time per game, you need to watch a LOT of games to get a clear picture of who is truly that bad. Then, of course, it depends on what you value. If you, for example, value a fighter, your perceptions will probably change.

Looking at ATOI/game, Shelley has the lowest of any skater with more than 6 GP with 4:31. Cam Janssen averages 4:38, but at least plays nearly every night. Janssen has just 2 fights on the season and Shelley 0; neither leads his teams in fighting majors.

John Scott's 8:18 from defense is the worst of any defenseman with more than 4 GP. Similarly to Shelley and Janssen, his fighting is down the tubes this year, too (0 fights). Jeff Woywitka's 10:47 is next.

On the Caps, DJ King was the worst player on the roster, but he only appeared in 1 game, logging a grand total 6:58, before being sent down. In terms of skills, Jeff Schultz and John Erskine are the least talented current Capitals, but both are far from the worst player in the NHL, despite what a Caps fan might say about the former.

#12 The Four Peters

• 11,047 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:50 PM

Jesus christ I can't embed for shit tonight.

You're welcome.

#13 thehitcat

• 652 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:51 PM

Fine since we are leaving out the fact that Cooke elbows people in the head(I don't think we should but it's your party) I'll go with Derick Brassard of Columbus. He's 2-2-4 in 17 games and is worst on the team at -11 and this gem from ESPN really tops it off "The acquisition of Mark Letestu has left Brassard cooling his heels in the press box."

Letestu is not a world beater, his recent run of PPG notwithstanding, if you can't get time over a mediocre talent like Letestu you have to be in the conversation even if you were sixth overall 5 years ago.

I will admit that I have not seen Columbus play a ton this year, once against the B's and he was anonymous, and once against Detroit when he at least got a bunch of minutes, however his numbers plus the fact that Columbus is in the discussion with the Islanders as the worst team in hockey make him my pick.

Edited by thehitcat, 28 November 2011 - 09:56 PM.

#14 The Four Peters

• 11,047 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:51 PM

John Scott is a great one FAH, it's bad when Shawn Thornton calls you out for being terrible and never on the ice. Not that Thornton's bad, but he rarely runs his mouth like that since he knows he's a 4th line grinder type player and wears that badge proudly.

#15 Greg29fan

• SoSH Member

• 13,068 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:54 PM

I think Mike likes him but Cam Janssen. He has 10 points in 279 games.

Edited by Greg29fan, 28 November 2011 - 09:55 PM.

#16 PedroSpecialK

• 16,954 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 10:00 PM

Fine since we are leaving out the fact that Cooke elbows people in the head(I don't think we should but it's your party) I'll go with Derick Brassard of Columbus. He's 2-2-4 in 17 games and is worst on the team at -11 and this gem from ESPN really tops it off "The acquisition of Mark Letestu has left Brassard cooling his heels in the press box."

Letestu is not a world beater, his recent run of PPG notwithstanding, if you can't get time over a mediocre talent like Letestu you have to be in the conversation even if you were sixth overall 5 years ago.

I will admit that I have not seen Columbus play a ton this year, once against the B's and he was anonymous, and once against Detroit when he at least got a bunch of minutes, however his numbers plus the fact that Columbus is in the discussion with the Islanders as the worst team in hockey make him my pick.

Brassard's a solid pick - I'd also nominate Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson on Edmonton, 19 games played in their top 9 for a 10th overall pick on a team with a +11 goal differential. 1 assist and a -3 to show for it.

Kaberle. 0 goals, 5 assists in 24 games with a -11 playing 15-20 minutes per game. What the hell was Carolina thinking?

I like this nomination too - on a team without a defensive system, you'd think Kaberle would thrive. Maybe two weeks ago we should've had "Who is the worst coach in the NHL" given Staal's -17 and limited production.

Edited by PedroSpecialK, 28 November 2011 - 10:04 PM.

#17 BucketOBalls

• SoSH Member

• 5,644 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 10:01 PM

I would suggest something like catagories by TOI(because it's more important to suck when on the ice). Maybe 0-5 minutes, 5-10, 10-15, 15-20 and 20+? Gives a nice spread at least.

#18 ForceAtHome

• 4,012 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 10:03 PM

I don't actually recall anything he's done this year, but based on numbers, I'll throw Philippe Dupuis into the mix. He has the most minutes this season without a point, I think. Dupuis has had 249:53 minutes of ice time this year and 0 points.

Other forwards with 10+ games and 0 points include: Ryan Reaves, Cam Janssen, Jody Shelley, Brad Staubitz, Aaron Palushaj, Blake Comeau, Matt Beleskey, Aaron Volpatti, Jake Dowell. With the exception of Dupuis, Comeau, and Palushaj, the rest of those guys aren't afraid to get involved in the tough stuff.

#19 mikeford

• woolwich!

• 17,469 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 10:03 PM

I think Mike likes him but Cam Janssen. He has 10 points in 279 games.

He's a brainless goon but if we're going on pure hockey skill and not his pugilistic prowess? It's Killa Cam in a fuckin landslide.

#20 Dollar

• 3,318 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 10:13 PM

Marty Reasoner probably has a case. 18 games played, averages a bit over 12:00 min of ice time per game, and he's at 0g, 1a, -13.

Blake Comeau, just waived by NYI and picked up by the Flames, has played in 18 games and has yet to record a point, posting a -11.

Yeah, the Islanders are bad. We could probably go ahead and post half their lineup.

Agreed with these two nominations.

And if we're going to factor in a player's contract (and goalies, for that matter), Rick DiPietro has to be in the conversation.

Man, the Islanders suck.

Edited by Dollar, 28 November 2011 - 10:18 PM.

#21 mikeford

• woolwich!

• 17,469 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 10:18 PM

Agreed with these two nominations.

And if we're going to factor in a player's contract (and goalies, for that matter), Rick DiPietro has to be in the conversation.

Scott Gomez makes 7+mil a year and has 4 points this year.

#22 cshea

• SoSH Member

• 9,591 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 10:22 PM

Good call on Dipietro, I didn't even think of goalies. Only played 7 games, but is sporting a 3.34 GAA, and .885 save percentage. Good thing the Isles have him locked up through 2021!

Steve Mason is probably the winner in net. 16 games, 3.63 GAA, .875 save percentage.

Edited by cshea, 28 November 2011 - 10:22 PM.

#23 MiracleOfO2704

• not AWOL

• 2,764 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 10:22 PM

Scott Gomez makes 7+mil a year and has 4 points this year.

That transcends bad player and just goes all the way to worst contract of all time.

The Brassard nomination is interesting, as CBJ has clearly soured on him and, unlike Janssen and Kaberle, the expectation of him at this stage in his career is that of a top-6 forward, not a 13th forward.

#24 NYCSox

• chris hansen of goats

• 6,342 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 10:51 PM

Brassard's a solid pick - I'd also nominate Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson on Edmonton, 19 games played in their top 9 for a 10th overall pick on a team with a +11 goal differential. 1 assist and a -3 to show for it.

In fairness to MPS, he seems like a decent checking forward and penalty killer. Unfortunately, he's more PJ Axelsson or Daniel Paille than an offensive force but still not a uselss player.

#25 ypioca

• 4,261 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 12:25 AM

Good call on Dipietro, I didn't even think of goalies. Only played 7 games, but is sporting a 3.34 GAA, and .885 save percentage. Good thing the Isles have him locked up through 2021!

Steve Mason is probably the winner in net. 16 games, 3.63 GAA, .875 save percentage.

For about the first 5 times I heard about DiPietro's contract, I thought it was a joke. It's gotta be one of the worst contracts in sports, ever.

#26 PedroSpecialK

• 16,954 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 12:53 AM

In fairness to MPS, he seems like a decent checking forward and penalty killer. Unfortunately, he's more PJ Axelsson or Daniel Paille than an offensive force but still not a uselss player.

That's valid, he is definitely no Steve Bernier or Dustin Penner off the puck. Probably the most disappointing player for me right now.

#27 mikeford

• woolwich!

• 17,469 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 12:55 AM

That's valid, he is definitely no Steve Bernier or Dustin Penner off the puck. Probably the most disappointing player for me right now.

Steve Mason did win the Calder trophy though...

#28 PedroSpecialK

• 16,954 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:08 AM

True, but at some point last year you could start seeing the "Raycroft" hologram on his nameplate.

#29 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:36 AM

Andrew Gordon 0-1-1, -8, 4 PIM, 24 shots, 260 TOI

Big scorer in AHL, offers nothing else, that is awful.

Edited by SoxScout, 29 November 2011 - 01:36 AM.

#30 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:41 AM

Ville Leino of the 6/$27M deal

2-4-6, -5, 4 PIM, 22 shots, 362 TOI

#31 ForceAtHome

• 4,012 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:17 AM

Andrew Gordon 0-1-1, -8, 4 PIM, 24 shots, 260 TOI

Big scorer in AHL, offers nothing else, that is awful.

There's a reason Washington/Hershey let him go. I was at the game in which Gordon scored his first (and apparently only) NHL goal. He then proceeded to give Marcus Johansson a nice kiss on the cheek in appreciation. He seems like he's a likable guy, but he's the hockey equivalent of a AAAA player. He also benefited from playing with the Bears.

Hershey seems to be a wonderful spot for these types of players to really "blossom." Keith Aucoin, Alexandre Giroux, Chris Bourque, and Andrew Gordon have put up monster numbers in Hershey that translate to the tune of 16 career NHL goals between the four of them. Giroux put up 60 (in 69 games), 50, and 42 goal seasons in Hershey, but has 6 career NHL goals. The past four seasons he's gotten 8-12 game stints with Washington (twice), Edmonton, and Columbus, only managing to score exactly one goal each of those years in the pros before being sent back to the AHL. Aucoin had 106 and 96 point seasons in Hershey and is back at it again this year. Bourque is putting up his third season of over a PPG, and Gordon put up 37 and 28 goal seasons in Hershey. The jury is still out on Mathieu Perreault.

Gordon's numbers are disappointing, but there's a reason he's about to turn 26 in two weeks and came into the season with all of 12 NHL games and 2 points under his belt. Even in his 37+34=71 season, he wasn't a top-3 offensive threat on Hershey. Aucoin and Giroux both went over 100 points that year, and Bourque had 1 fewer point in 30 fewer games, translating to a well-over-100 point pace (Carlson and Perreault were up there with Gordon, too).

The real interesting guy from those dominant Hershey teams to me was always Alexandre Giroux. He has 346 AHL goals to 6 NHL goals. Since he was the man of the day, Giroux's numbers remind me a lot of Bruce Boudreau -- who put up 316 AHL goals to 28 NHL goals. Giroux is already 10th on the AHL all-time goal list, and if he can remain good (but not quite good enough) for a handful more years, he could take a serious run at #1 all time. It's funny to think that Alexandre Giroux is becoming a slam dunk AHL Hall of Famer and approaching legend status.

#32 Spacemans Bong

• chapeau rose

• 16,491 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 04:47 AM

Gomez is so bad that Habs fans have basically tired of ragging on him and have moved towards Gionta and Cammalleri as targets for their wrath.

#33 mikeford

• woolwich!

• 17,469 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 12:52 PM

Gomez is so bad that Habs fans have basically tired of ragging on him and have moved towards Gionta and Cammalleri as targets for their wrath.

Rest assured that we Devils fans, all 20k or so of us, will never tire of ragging on Scott Gomez.

Traitorous dog.

#34 Spacemans Bong

• chapeau rose

• 16,491 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:04 PM

Rest assured that we Devils fans, all 20k or so of us, will never tire of ragging on Scott Gomez.

Traitorous dog.

He's like the Barry Zito of the NHL - Habs fans will probably have a parade down St-Catherine and flip cars when his contract runs out (or he's traded, which might happen if the floor keeps going up).

Also interesting to hear an NY beat writer on the Melnick show in MTL insinuate that Gomez is a drunk.

#35 mikeford

• woolwich!

• 17,469 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:06 PM

He's a hockey player, aren't they all drunks?

#36 Curtis_Lesspanic

• 512 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:09 PM

At least they didn't give up a first, a second and a top prospect for him lol. He's my pick too. Soft, out of shape, no shot and useless in his own end.

#37 Curtis_Lesspanic

• 512 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:14 PM

John Scott is a great one FAH, it's bad when Shawn Thornton calls you out for being terrible and never on the ice. Not that Thornton's bad, but he rarely runs his mouth like that since he knows he's a 4th line grinder type player and wears that badge proudly.

Scott is a good one too. Total goon who looks genuinely awkward on skates. And you know your bad when a 4th/energy line guy plays the "he's never on the ice card".

#38 NYCSox

• chris hansen of goats

• 6,342 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:27 PM

Yeah, but you guys have to bellyache about something all the time.

Can't believe Sather (of all people) pulled that fast one on you guys.

#39 PedroSpecialK

• 16,954 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:32 PM

Sather also managed to get rid of Higgins and Kotalik for Prust and a rental of Jokinen. Trade-wise, he's been a very solid GM.

#40 TheStoryofYourRedRightAnkle

• 4,699 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:44 PM

He's a hockey player, aren't they all drunks?

It's not provable until they wrap their cars around an oak.

#41 SidelineCameras

• 915 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:50 PM

For about the first 5 times I heard about DiPietro's contract, I thought it was a joke. It's gotta be one of the worst contracts in sports, ever.

It's like Dale Arnold says, "12 years wasn't going to get that deal done?"

#42 The Four Peters

• 11,047 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:51 PM

It's not provable until they wrap their cars around an oak.

Ironically enough, he was sober for that.

Edit: Unless this was a Pelle Linbergh reference, in which case...yes you are right.

#43 MoGator71

• 4,966 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:56 PM

Edit: Unless this was a Pelle Linbergh reference, in which case...yes you are right.

No, that was a brick wall. My first thought was Craig MacTavish.

I'm not sure if guys like Scott and Shelley ought to count; they're goons, it's not really fair to judge them against real players. But then again, Shelley had one measurable skill, but now he can't even fight any more. In my book it's Shelley, though I'm admittedly biased.

Trevor Gillies would be a good pick too.

#44 Greg29fan

• SoSH Member

• 13,068 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:59 PM

Steve MacIntyre has only appeared in 3 games but he's down there with Gillies. He's not a total mongoloid like Gillies is, but he didn't even fight (which is why Pittsburgh supposedly brought him in) and he took like 1 or 2 shifts the entire game.

#45 mikeford

• woolwich!

• 17,469 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:06 PM

Trevor Gillies would be a good pick too.

Except that he's not in the NHL anymore.

#46 Lupe Whalewatch

• 1,289 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 06:15 PM

For a long time it was Andy Hilbert but I think he is gone now.

#47 MoGator71

• 4,966 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 07:55 PM

Except that he's not in the NHL anymore.

Good point. Not to mention that I'd take Gillies over Shelley 10 out of 10 times, and that's before you consider the contract difference.

#48 TheStoryofYourRedRightAnkle

• 4,699 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:48 PM

More of a general "NHL players have issues avoiding solid objects while driving" joke.

No, that was a brick wall. My first thought was Craig MacTavish.

Little known fact: while MacTavish was booked for a DUI and vehicular homicide for that incident, the fine for not wearing his seatbelt was waived as he was grandfathered in under the old rules.

#49 PedroSpecialK

• 16,954 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 10:53 PM

:bravo:

Edited by PedroSpecialK, 29 November 2011 - 10:53 PM.