I have family who went to Vandy and have seen a lot of their games. Here's the skinny:
1. John Jenkins - 6'4 SG - he's the best shooter in the nation and has legit NBA range. He'll be running off screens all day. If you don't contain him, your season will be over quickly. Athletic defenders can disrupt his timing so Harvard better have one on the wing.
2. Jeffrey Taylor - 6'7 SF - great athlete with more of a power slash game. Can hit the 3 if you leave him open but looks to drive first. Is getting consideration as an NBA 1st rounder due to size/athleticism but is too inconsistent for my tastes. Loses confidence if early shots don't fall. A big X-factor for Vandy.
3. Festus Ezeli - 6'11 PF/C - built like an ox with great athleticism. He is going to make life for your frontcourt very difficult. Offensively, he's mostly dunks, putbacks, baby hooks, etc. but he's a defensive force at the college level. Not a good FT shooter so make him earn it.
4. Brad Tinsley - 6'3 PG - your typical slow and white guard but don't leave him open cause he can shoot a bit. Hates pressure so getting up in his face is a great idea and will lead to turnovers. His backup, frosh Kedron Johnson, played very well today so you may see more of him.
5. Lance Goulbourne - 6'7 PF - Vandy's garbage man. Has a limited offensive game but gets rebounds, hustles, etc. You don't have to game plan for him but he'll piss you off from time to time.
The bench - nothing much to speak of. Steve Tchiengang is their first big off the bench and he pretty much sucks at everything. Occasionally, he'll make a 3. Rod Odom is the backup wing and he does very little out there. Kedron Johnson is the backup pg who can make plays off the dribble. Not a good shooter so I'd sag off.
All in all, this Vandy team is peaking now but can have stretches of really putrid offensive execution. Amaker really only needs to gameplan for 2 guys - Jenkins and Taylor. Contain 1 of them and you have a great chance of knocking Vandy off. Regardless, I expect a close one since they typically don't blow teams out.
Edited by BigSoxFan, 11 March 2012 - 07:02 PM.