Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Harvard Hoops: Finally Time to Go Dancing!!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
76 replies to this topic

#1 Mugsys Jock

• Longtime Member

• 3988 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 06:58 PM

After taking the Battle for Atlantis, Tommy's boys are now 6-0, including wins at Loyola Marrymount (which beat #20 UCLA), on a neutral court vs #22 Florida State, and today on a neutral court vs Central Florida (which had just beaten #4 UConn). At least right now, they're the best team in New England. Or at least I can make a plausible argument for that.

(and yes, they also have a head-to-head win over MIT. M...I...T!!)

Not great size, but they play great D and run the he'll out of their offense. Gonna be fun to watch if Casey and Wright can stay healthy.

#2 Matty005

• 471 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 10:18 PM

After taking the Battle for Atlantis, Tommy's boys are now 6-0, including wins at Loyola Marrymount (which beat #20 UCLA), on a neutral court vs #22 Florida State, and today on a neutral court vs Central Florida (which had just beaten #4 UConn). At least right now, they're the best team in New England. Or at least I can make a plausible argument for that.

(and yes, they also have a head-to-head win over MIT. M...I...T!!)

Not great size, but they play great D and run the he'll out of their offense. Gonna be fun to watch if Casey and Wright can stay healthy.

These kids can flat out shoot too. Casey is just a phenomenal athlete, McNally, Miller and Rivard (Miller and Rivard both freshman) are huge 3 point threats and Curry may be one of the best PG's in the country. I've been telling people this is a Sweet 16 team and this weekend's results have only made me believe this even more.

#3 Hendu's Gait

• 3/5's member

• PipPipPip
  • 7918 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 10:36 PM

Is the tournament named Atlantis after the imaginary fans in the stands?

Flipped during one of the Harvard games, FSU I think, completely empty. Maybe a dozen or two boosters or family members and that's it.

#4 BiggestSOXfan

• Captain Megatarp!

• 73 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 01:14 AM

FSU win driven by FSU having played against of 40 UMass fullcourt press the day before. Still impressive start. What is the chance of going perfect until the dance?

#5 scottyno

• 2861 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 02:48 AM

FSU win driven by FSU having played against of 40 UMass fullcourt press the day before. Still impressive start. What is the chance of going perfect until the dance?

If they beat uconn on thursday they have a shot, they should be favored in every other game they play, though the ivy league road weekends are notoriously hard so they'll probably lose during one of those. Does anyone know the last time if ever harvard was ranked in the top 25? I tried briefly to look on google but couldn't find it. They're currently 27th in both polls

#6 DukeSox

• Rick Derris

• 8192 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:58 PM

Harvard ranked #24/#25.

http://espn.go.com/m...etball/rankings

please beat uconn.

Edited by DukeSox, 05 December 2011 - 02:01 PM.

#7 Burt Reynoldz

• 1859 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:07 PM

Harvard ranked #24/#25.

http://espn.go.com/m...etball/rankings

please beat uconn.

Just when I didn't think you could be any more insufferable, you're suddenly a Harvard fan. There aren't enough doorknobs in the world to give you the sack beating you deserve.

#8 DukeSox

• Rick Derris

• 8192 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:15 PM

Just when I didn't think you could be any more insufferable, you're suddenly a Harvard fan. There aren't enough doorknobs in the world to give you the sack beating you deserve.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Go Crimson.

#9 Burt Reynoldz

• 1859 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:38 PM

So I'm assuming you're also a huge fan of Notre Dame, Stanford, UNC Greensboro, etc.?

#10 tims4wins

• PN23's replacement

• 6662 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:39 PM

That, and being violently anti-UConn.

Edit: I'd root for just about anyone against UConn, except maybe Kentucky. If Kentucky played UConn I'd probably hope for some sort of natural disaster to wipe out both coaches.

Edited by tims4wins, 05 December 2011 - 02:40 PM.

#11 DukeSox

• Rick Derris

• 8192 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:41 PM

So I'm assuming you're also a huge fan of Notre Dame, Stanford, UNC Greensboro, etc.?

No, Yes, No.

Go Crimson.

Edited by DukeSox, 05 December 2011 - 02:49 PM.

#12 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 11516 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:53 PM

We're all Crimson fans on Thursday.

#13 DukeSox

• Rick Derris

• 8192 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:30 PM

We're all Crimson fans on Thursday.

Agreed.

It'll be weird, though. Like a Sox pre-preseason game.

Watching student-athletes compete against paid professionals.

#14 Doug Beerabelli

• Killer Threads

• 7408 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 10:22 AM

You guys kid because you care. :lol:

I was hoping to go see this game up at Gampel, couldn't work it out. I harbor no ill will toward the Crimson, and am looking forward to watching a good basketball game tonight on the telly. A win for Harvard would be huge for a potential at large bid if it came to that, however unlikely it'd be for an Ivy to receive one.

The cover of SI this week is pretty much a big FU to UConn, so you've got that going for you.

#15 Mugsys Jock

• Longtime Member

• 3988 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:35 PM

Things I never thought I'd hear: ESPN color announcer somehow criticizing Harvard academics. "It's easier to get in there now."

Believe me, it ain't.

Edit: Doug Gottlieb, I think.

Edited by Mugsys Jock, 08 December 2011 - 08:11 PM.

#16 runnels3

• 377 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 09:42 AM

Right back on track after pounding BU yesterday. Now the big lay-off with exams.

#17 Hendu's Gait

• 3/5's member

• PipPipPip
  • 7918 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 10:32 AM

Harvard is doing groupon deal v.St. Joes on NYE (and 2 other games)

Humans have been putting spherical objects in hoops for centuries, but until the invention of the dunk, the fast break, and face dribbling, it wasn't an activity worth watching. See if "basketball" lives up to the hype with today's GrouponLive deal: for $16, you get two tickets for seating in Section 1 or 6-10 to see a Harvard Crimson men's basketball game at Lavietes Pavilion ($30 value). Choose from the following games:

* Against the Florida Atlantic Owls on Thursday, December 22, at 7 p.m.
* Against the St. Joseph's Hawks on Saturday, December 31, at 4 p.m.
* Against the George Washington Colonials on Saturday, January 14, at 2 p.m.

After seizing Harvard's first Ivy League basketball title last season, the Crimson have surged into the 2011–12 season seeking to establish the university as a perennial hoops powerhouse. Tommy Amaker, who led the squad to a school record 23 victories last season, enters his fifth campaign as head coach and has already forged a reputation for luring some of the nation's top student-athletes with his fiery passion and a dollar bill that’s attached to a fishing pole.

#18 Lose Remerswaal

• Leaves after the 8th inning

• 22307 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 10:43 AM

They didn't really "seize" their "first Ivy League basketball title" last season, but I appreciate the effort

#19 runnels3

• 377 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 08:49 PM

The color was rusty Crimson tonight but they finally got it done, 63-51 going away vs. Florida Atlantic.

#20 Matty005

• 471 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 04:36 PM

Harvard moves up to #24 in the AP Poll and #23 in ESPN/Coaches poll (highest ranking in program history).

#21 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 11516 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:48 PM

Be gentle tonight, Harvard. Be gentle.

#22 Mugsys Jock

• Longtime Member

• 3988 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 01:01 PM

After disposing of Boston College for the fourth year in a row (BC is now like a second MIT game for Harvard), the Crimson probably have their toughest matchup of the rest of the regular season this evening. St. Joe's is carrying a smooth 10-3 record, including an impressive win over Creighton, as well as wins over good programs in down years like Western Kentucky, Villanova, Coppin State, and Georgia Tech.

The good news is that the game is at Lavietes, and St. Joe's isn't any bigger than the undersized (but hard-fighting) Crimson. Plus Phil Martelli is a scumball and the crowd chants at the game ought to be of high entertainment value.

Deadspin: "Right Now, The College Basketball World Hates Phil Martelli"

Edit: Princeton's 7-7 record ain't bad considering the quality of competition they've faced, and Yale's looked better than usual this year, though they'll get a lesson from Florida today I expect.

Edited by Mugsys Jock, 31 December 2011 - 01:05 PM.

#23 Mugsys Jock

• Longtime Member

• 3988 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 05:51 PM

Stirring win today... Down by 14 in the first half, and double-digits for much of the second... Harvard fights back to take the lead with less than two minutes to go and closes out a win. (Barely failed to cover the six-point line though.) I was only following it online, but sure seemed liked Casey took the game on his shoulders in the second half, with timely support from McNally.

I'll be headed up to Rose Hill to see the Fordham game Wednesday... Can't wait!

Edit: odd what spellcheck can do if you make a typo or two. It looked Gaelic.

Edited by Mugsys Jock, 31 December 2011 - 10:49 PM.

#24 runnels3

• 377 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 06:01 PM

Be gentle tonight, Harvard. Be gentle.

I guess 5 points was gentle enough. Now they can party hard.

#25 Dan Murfman

• 2362 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 06:05 PM

I guess 5 points was gentle enough. Now they can party hard.

Heck no. It was 20 points. He's a BC fan.

#26 runnels3

• 377 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 06:13 PM

Heck no. It was 20 points. He's a BC fan.

oops, guess I didn't check the date of that post.

#27 DukeSox

• Rick Derris

• 8192 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:53 PM

huh. Fordham has a weird record. Very up and down.

#28 Mugsys Jock

• Longtime Member

• 3988 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:44 PM

Was at the game tonight, and Harvard put on a very uninspired performance against a hard-working, but not particularly talented Fordham team.

Rivard was a total goat, not only shooting horrifically (2-10, 1-8 from behind the arc), but also being careless with the ball. Twice he dropped passes out of bounds when he simply took his eye off the ball. Overall Harvard's outside shooting was miserable (8-30 from 3-point land), which was a problem because Fordham packed it in tight and Harvard could not get anything going inside. Casey and Wright combined for only 7 shots (hitting 6).

It's a shame. While I still see Harvard winning the Ivies, with their soft remaining schedule they won't be returning to the Top 25 this year and won't get seeded higher than 14 or so.

And it's all my fault. I've seen Harvard play six times in the Amaker era, and their record in those games is 0-6.

#29 BigMike

• SoSH Member

• 18124 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:17 PM

It's a shame. While I still see Harvard winning the Ivies, with their soft remaining schedule they won't be returning to the Top 25 this year and won't get seeded higher than 14 or so.

And it's all my fault. I've seen Harvard play six times in the Amaker era, and their record in those games is 0-6.

I think that is a bit overkill. I think if they win out, which they should in theory that gets them to 28-2. They'll be back in the top 25, and probably stay in the top 30 RPI, which I think would get them a 12 seed or so

On the other hand, I think a couple of us BC guys might be willing to buy you tickets to the BC vs Harvard game next year

#30 Mugsys Jock

• Longtime Member

• 3988 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:33 PM

I think that is a bit overkill. I think if they win out, which they should in theory that gets them to 28-2. They'll be back in the top 25, and probably stay in the top 30 RPI, which I think would get them a 12 seed or so

I'm thinking they don't get through the Ivies unscathed. Princeton and Yale both look totally decent. At the same time there's no good non-league game left that'll help their strength-of-schedule substantially. 25-5 would be my guess. So long as I can resist going to the Columbia game. [Actually, that one would have to be a slump-buster.]

#31 beezer

• 324 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:07 PM

The disappointing part to the game against Fordham was that Harvard had tied it up with under 4 to play and just couldn't score there after. They couldn't seem to get Wright going at all during the game and he never even got a shot off in the final 4 minutes. I've said it from the beginning, but I see them going 26-4, getting a 12 seed and pulling a first round upset over a team such as Purdue (who I see slipping down the stretch a bit) before getting beat in the second round. I'd be thrilled with a single win in the tourney as next year looks even more promising. They've got two 3 star recruits committed and another 4 star recruit Zena Edosomwan leaning towards Harvard. He's the 12th ranked highschool PF according to Scout.com and would seriously increase the athleticism of this team.

#32 Mugsys Jock

• Longtime Member

• 3988 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:40 PM

Thanks Beezer for opening my eyes to the recruiting story, something I had never given a second's thought to in 30 years of wishing Harvard hoops didn't suck so much. The story is pretty impressive -- they're got commitments from two 3-stars AND two 2-stars, while remaining in on the hunt for Edosomwan.

For comparison, the next best recruiting class so far in the Ivies is Penn's list of four two-star players, and there's only two other two-star players currently committed to the rest of the league combined. The Harvard commit list, so far, is also much gaudier than what is currently listed for BC, UMass, or BU. [But Providence College, God bless 'em, looks extremely impressive.]

Edosomwan is out of Harvard-Westlake, the #1 prep school in LA for churning out Ivy Leaguers, so it's not totally far-fetched he might come to Cambridge (though apparently he just got a UCLA offer the other day).

http://espn.go.com/c...school/_/id/108

#33 Infield Infidel

• teaching korea american

• 7961 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:43 PM

I'm thinking they don't get through the Ivies unscathed. Princeton and Yale both look totally decent. At the same time there's no good non-league game left that'll help their strength-of-schedule substantially. 25-5 would be my guess. So long as I can resist going to the Columbia game. [Actually, that one would have to be a slump-buster.]

It kinda sucks for Harvard that they announce the bracketbuster pool in september. Not sure if the ivies are even eligible, or would allow a late-season non-conf game. But it would have been a way for Harvard to get another solid game, and on TV at that

#34 Mugsys Jock

• Longtime Member

• 3988 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 02:36 PM

Fairly recent article on Edosomwan and his senior year. Harvard in the mix, but so are enough other schools that it sounds too good to be true that he'd want to come to Cambridge for a few years.

http://espn.go.com/b...-the-h-w-legacy

Edited by Mugsys Jock, 13 January 2012 - 02:38 PM.

#35 Mugsys Jock

• Longtime Member

• 3988 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:07 AM

Disappointing loss at Princeton, although to be fair the expectations of cruising undefeated through the Ivies were always pretty unrealistic. While Harvard's been winning all it's games since the Fordham game, can't deny that some of the results against soft opponents (Columbia, Monmouth, Brown) have been tighter than you'd expect from a ranked team.

I credit adjustments by Princeton in the second half, as they found it pretty easy to get to the hoop for the last ten minutes of the game.

#36 Mugsys Jock

• Longtime Member

• 3988 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:15 AM

More onEdosomwan recruiting. Harvard definitely in the picture, it seems. Plus he plays travel ball with Dave Winfield's kid, so there's that

http://latimesblogs....-edosomwan.html

http://www.dailynews...rts/ci_19942308

#37 Mugsys Jock

• Longtime Member

• 3988 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:22 PM

Weekend sweep gives the Crimson a 1.5 game lead over Penn, as well as another reminder that Yale sucks.

Joe Lunnardi currently sees Harvard as a #10 seed, assuming they win out, with the potential to get as high as #8 if upsets kmock down other teams in their cohort as you'd expect.

http://vod.espn.go.c...272p30_448k.mp4

I've followed Harvard hoops long enough to know a Penn/Princeton sweep, even at home, is hardly something to count on... But a boy does dare to dream.

#38 snowmanny

• 2401 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:33 PM

Not sure I wouldn't prefer an 11 seed to an 8, 9 or 10 seed. Avoiding a 1 or 2 seed in round two would be nice...of course one tournament win in my lifetime would be one more than I ever expected.

#39 axx

• 4908 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:42 PM

I noticed that a couple days ago about the 10 seed. That's right on the bubble line. Good thing they beat Yale, they could have gone from being ranked to out of the tournament in a week.

#40 Matty005

• 471 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:07 PM

I feel like they played their best all around game last night vs Yale. Two big games this weekend should determine Ivy winner.

#41 beezer

• 324 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:20 PM

I was at the Harvard/Brown game on Friday night and the team looked good. Brown hung around for the first 10 minutes of the game, then Harvard just locked them down. Brown resorted to taking fall away 3s and rushed shots.

On the Zena Edosomwan front, I've read that Harvard is his number 1 choice, but he needs to improve him math score on the SAT by about 40 points. Here's a quick article about it.

http://latimesblogs....-edosomwan.html

#42 runnels3

• 377 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:38 PM

I feel like they played their best all around game last night vs Yale. Two big games this weekend should determine Ivy winner.

Was there Sat night. Brandyn Curry had a solid overall game. His baseline drive ending with a dunk over the 6-10 Mangano sealed it for the Crimson with under 9 minutes to play. They never looked back after that.

Even with the 27 game winning streak at home, this weekend is sure to be a pressure cooker at Lavietes.

#43 Matty005

• 471 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:18 PM

Was there Sat night. Brandyn Curry had a solid overall game. His baseline drive ending with a dunk over the 6-10 Mangano sealed it for the Crimson with under 9 minutes to play. They never looked back after that.

Even with the 27 game winning streak at home, this weekend is sure to be a pressure cooker at Lavietes.

Curry played huge Saturday and I was happy the way Wright played vs Mangina. When they played Penn/Princeton on the road a couple weeks ago, Rivard couldn't make a shot. If he's back to himself, I see them sweeping and clinching on Saturday.

#44 Matty005

• 471 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:55 AM

Great win tonight for the Crimson after being down 10 in the first half. Big game for Casey and clutch free throws at the end by McNally to ice it. HUGE game tomorrow vs Penn. Harvard can wrap up a share of the Ivy with a win.

#45 Mugsys Jock

• Longtime Member

• 3988 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 06:55 PM

Curry going for 15 points and zero turnovers vs. Princeton was one of the most impressive lines of the year for the Crimson.
Okay, now to settle in for a couple hours of following the GameCast against Penn...

#46 Joe D Reid

• 2596 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:02 PM

Not so fast my friends!

Posted Image

(We'll overlook the fact that it took a ton of good bounces, and that Harvard is probably better.)

Edited by Joe D Reid, 25 February 2012 - 10:08 PM.

#47 Matty005

• 471 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:05 PM

Crushing loss tonight. I have never seen Amaker as fired up as he was after that bullshit offensive foul at the end of the game. Tough way to have their last home game end for Keith Wright and Olver McNally.

Edited by Matty005, 25 February 2012 - 10:05 PM.

#48 Hendu's Gait

• 3/5's member

• PipPipPip
  • 7918 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:12 PM

Gotta love Harvard rooting for Yale and Princeton next week.

#49 Mugsys Jock

• Longtime Member

• 3988 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:51 PM

Rooting for Yale to beat Penn is like rooting for the MFY to beat Tampa.

#50 loshjott

• 3739 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:07 AM

Suck it Crimson!

(Penn class of 87)