Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

2012 Spring Training Schedule and Report Dates

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#1 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 15703 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:20 PM

Truck Day: Feb. 11
Pitchers and catchers: Feb. 19
First workout: Feb. 21
First full-squad workout: Feb. 25

March 3, vs. Northeastern, 2:35 p.m.
March 3, vs. Boston College, 7:05 p.m.
March 4, vs. Minnesota, 1:35 p.m.
March 5, at Minnesota, 7:05 p.m. (Fort Myers)
March 6, vs. Baltimore, 1:35 p.m.
March 7, at Toronto, 1:05 p.m. (Dunedin)
March 8, at St. Louis, 1:05 p.m. (Jupiter)
March 9, vs. Pittsburgh, 7:05 p.m.
March 10, vs. Tampa Bay, 7:05 p.m.
March 11, at Baltimore, 1:05 p.m. (Sarasota)
March 12, vs. Miami, 1:35 p.m.
March 13, at New York Yankees, 7:05 p.m. (Tampa)
March 14, Off-day
March 15, vs. St. Louis, 2:35 p.m.
March 16, vs. Minnesota, 7:05 p.m.
March 17, at Baltimore (ss), 1:05 p.m. (Sarasota); vs. Baltimore (ss), 1:35 p.m.
March 18, at Tampa Bay, 1:05 p.m. (Port Charlotte)
March 19, vs. Minnesota, 1:35 p.m.
March 20, vs. Toronto, 7:05 p.m.
March 21, at Pittsburgh, 1:35 p.m. (Bradenton)
March 22, vs. New York Yankees, 7:05 p.m.
March 23, at Baltimore, 1:05 p.m. (Sarasota)
March 24, at Miami (ss), 1:05 p.m. (Jupiter), vs. Philadelphia (ss), 1:35 p.m.
March 25, at Toronto, 1:05 p.m. (Dunedin)
March 26, at Philadelphia, 1:05 p.m. (Clearwater)
March 27, vs. Tampa Bay, 1:35 p.m.
March 28, Off-day
March 29, vs. Toronto, 1:35 p.m.
March 30, at Minnesota, 1:05 p.m. (Fort Myers)
April 1, vs. Minnesota, 1:35 p.m.
April 2, vs. Washington, 1:35 p.m.

April 3, at Washington, 6:05 p.m. (Nationals Park)

The Red Sox open the regular season on April 5 in Detroit.

ProJo

#2 SeanBerry

• poopdragon

• 3226 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:46 PM

So Feburary 11th is is the day when all the SoSH members who are 50+ get all excited while the rest of us don't give a shit because it's still over 7 weeks before the season starts.

Good to know.

#3 joyofsox

• empty, bleak

• 6252 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:02 PM

I'm 48 and am excited now.

#4 BoSoxLady

• Rules Red Sox Nation with an Iron Fist

• 2927 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:33 PM

So Feburary 11th is is the day when all the SoSH members who are 50+ get all excited while the rest of us don't give a shit because it's still over 7 weeks before the season starts.

Good to know.

When I was "your age" I was excited about Truck Day. Heaven forbid fans have something to look forward to while suffering through a long, harsh winter. Harbinger of spring be damned!

#5 SeanBerry

• poopdragon

• 3226 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 05:00 PM

When I was "your age" I was excited about Truck Day. Heaven forbid fans have something to look forward to while suffering through a long, harsh winter. Harbinger of spring be damned!

Oh I know. But anyone who is not a Baby Boomer could give a damn.

And when Spring is still 6 weeks away, it's hardly a harbinger. Go ask around and see how many people who never saw Eddie Kasko manage the Red Sox care about Truck Day.

And now with the JetBlue ads and Wally throwing cheap shit at the unemployed "fans" that come out in the cold to see the spectle makes it even more annoying.

#6 Rasputin

• Will outlive SeanBerry

• 25845 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 05:07 PM

And when Spring is still 6 weeks away, it's hardly a harbinger. Go ask around and see how many people who never saw Eddie Kasko manage the Red Sox care about Truck Day.

And now with the JetBlue ads and Wally throwing cheap shit at the unemployed "fans" that come out in the cold to see the spectle makes it even more annoying.

No, it's just you who are a crusty dick in the mud. I'm not a baby boomer and I give a damn.

#7 fenwaypaul

• 3085 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 05:08 PM

Hey, spoilsport, I'm a pre-Boomer and for some of us, frigging Thanksgiving is a harbinger of spring.

#8 Ramon AC

• 1677 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:05 PM

When Sean Berry hears the words Truck Day, he removes the safety from his Browning. Must we go through this tiresome reductionist crap every year. FTR 35 yo and a big fan of Truck Day.

#9 pokey_reese

• 4803 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 10:38 PM

I don't care about truck day at all, but I do love spring training. Baseball comes back, we get to see some of the young players who don't get any air time during the regular season; what's not to like?

p.s. - I'm 28

#10 Doctor G

• 1869 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 12:21 AM

i'm looking forward to seeing Heiker.

i will turn 67 the day of the first workout, and unless I hit the lottery i will be working and not at Jet Blue.

Edited by Doctor G, 22 November 2011 - 12:25 AM.

#11 Lose Remerswaal

• Leaves after the 8th inning

• 22142 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 07:27 AM

The Globe still owns part of this team, right?

I ask because in today's paper they have two doozies:

1) In the agate type showing the schedule, they have the opponent and the location. Half their games are listed as "Lee County", which, I guess, is technically true, as Jet Blue Park *is* in Lee County. But Minnesota's Hammond Stadium is also known as Lee County Sports Complex.

2) Article about the spring training schedule, written by Peter Abraham (there's that name again!), "Fans can buy tickets at City of Palms Park in Fort Myers".

I imagine good seats are available.

#12 BoSoxLady

• Rules Red Sox Nation with an Iron Fist

• 2927 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:05 AM

The Globe still owns part of this team, right?

I ask because in today's paper they have two doozies:

1) In the agate type showing the schedule, they have the opponent and the location. Half their games are listed as "Lee County", which, I guess, is technically true, as Jet Blue Park *is* in Lee County. But Minnesota's Hammond Stadium is also known as Lee County Sports Complex.

2) Article about the spring training schedule, written by Peter Abraham (there's that name again!), "Fans can buy tickets at City of Palms Park in Fort Myers".

I imagine good seats are available.

All of the other schedules out there list the Sox @ JetBlue Park and the Twins @ Hammond Stadium. As you noted, both stadiums are in Lee County and are approximately 6 miles apart.

You know I can't stand Peter Abraham however, he is correct as far as the ticket sales are concerned. Tickets will be sold on 12/17 at City of Palms Park. JetBlue Park occupancy is scheduled for the end of January and there's currently no box office at the new facility.

#13 JMDurron

• 4249 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 10:55 AM

I'm 30, and I get a kick out of truck day. As does my wife, who finds it hilarious enough in concept that she bakes cookies for the occasion.

It's also not a "long, hard winter" thing, either. I think we get maybe four weeks a year here where it's under 40 degrees for more than 2 days. Today's high is 82.

It has nothing to do with age or weather, it's just cool that baseball is coming back. It's the first physical event tied to that process, therefore it is welcomed. I'm sure the scale and scope of the welcome might be heavily influenced by the weather, or that the weather is related to the level of cultural obsession with the Spring-to-Fall sport to begin with in the region, but it's not quite that simple.

#14 Lose Remerswaal

• Leaves after the 8th inning

• 22142 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 10:55 AM

All of the other schedules out there list the Sox @ JetBlue Park and the Twins @ Hammond Stadium. As you noted, both stadiums are in Lee County and are approximately 6 miles apart.

You know I can't stand Peter Abraham however, he is correct as far as the ticket sales are concerned. Tickets will be sold on 12/17 at City of Palms Park. JetBlue Park occupancy is scheduled for the end of January and there's currently no box office at the new facility.

Oh whatever. I know you have a lifesized cutout of Peter Abraham poorly hidden behind the couch in your living room! :)

#15 JimBoSox9

• will you be my friend?

• 12220 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 03:27 PM

28 #TruckDay4Eva

#16 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30160 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:54 PM

P&C 1 month from today.

#17 ypioca

• 4217 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:12 AM

I'm 22. Truck day usually evoked mixed feelings for me. Early February means classes are starting, the country is no longer on fire, and... Sox are coming.

I finished my classes last year. Bring on the truck and the non-sweaty days.

#18 Savin Hillbilly

• SoSH Member

• 11178 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:23 AM

Turning 54 in Feb. and no particular interest in Truck Day. I get excited when people put on uniforms and actually start doing stuff. Not till then.

#19 sittingstill

• 1306 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:52 PM

For folks interested in an early peek at the minor league spring training schedule, the Twins have posted their schedule (summarized here). It's basically a round robin of the Red Sox, Twins, Rays and Orioles affiliates, so if the Twins are playing the Orioles, the Sox are playing the Rays, etc. Not certain if the camp days line up, though, and we'll need more information to tell when A-level teams are home and AA/AAA on the road and vice versa.

The upcoming season isn't real to me until I take a photo of someone loading a vacuum on a truck. (But I wonder if the swanky new digs will have room for permanent vacuum storage?)

#20 CoRP

• 4029 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 08:19 AM

Hey homeless boy. It's 20 degrees outside up there. If I called you and said bring your gf down to Naples for a week, you can stay at my place and we'll go to a bunch of Spring training games you'd have your skinny ass on a JetBlue flight within an hour.

#21 NorthernSoxFan

• 39 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 09:45 PM

Truck Day aside, I am stoked for spring training. I can't wait to get out of the cold, wet Vancouver weather and hit Florida for the first time. Please feel free to give me some tips/ideas about the Fort Myers area ( cool pubs, things to do, etc.).

#22 sittingstill

• 1306 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:23 PM

Please feel free to give me some tips/ideas about the Fort Myers area ( cool pubs, things to do, etc.).

I go from park to hotel room to edit photos, so I have nothing on cool places, but given your trajectory, let me say: WATER and SUNSCREEN. You're making a big shift in position on the globe. The sun's a lot stronger. Give it its due. (Also, at City of Palms, one of the best deals was the fresh-squeezed lemonade--bet the same will be true at JetBlue. Drink the lemonade, let the ice melt into water. Available sugar-free if you ask.)

#23 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30160 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:55 PM

Posted Image

#24 Laser Show

• 3180 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:01 PM

Wow they're broadcasting a lot more ST games than usual this year.

edit: Read that wrong. Still seems like more than usual though.

Edited by Laser Show, 08 February 2012 - 11:02 PM.

#25 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30160 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:04 PM

NESN is actually showing 1 less game than last season. Awesome.

#26 Dick Pole Upside

• 3314 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:37 PM

Thank God our period of sports mourning will end after 6 days.

No one suffahs™ like us.

Truck Day: 49, pumped and jacked.

#27 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30160 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:14 PM

These additional games will be shown on MLB.tv: MLB.tv spring broadcasts

March 13 NYY
March 23 BAL
March 31 TB
April 3 WASH

#28 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30160 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:24 AM

Thursday "B" game at Minnesota
Aceves
Bard
Mortensen
Carlson
Pena
Wilson
Inman
Thomas
Saturday vs. Northeastern
Lester
Germano
Bowden
Albers
Saturday vs. BC - TV
Doubront
Tazawa
Mathis
Spoone
Sunday vs. Minnesota - TV
Beckett
Miller
Melancon
Thomas
Pena
Atchison
March 5 at Minnesota - TV
Buchholz
Padilla
Inman
Carlson
Duckworth
March 6 vs. Baltimore
Bard
Aceves
Wilson
Mortensen
Bowden
March 7 "B" game against Minnesota
Lester
Spoone
Britton
Albers
Thomas
Atchison
Mathis
March 7 at Toronto
Silva
Tazawa
Melancon
Pena
Germano

http://www.boston.co...ng_plans_3.html

#29 pokey_reese

• 4803 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:13 AM

Today is the first game. Sure, it's a 'B' squad game, but it is against another team, and will have real ML players. Baseball starts today, ladies and gentlemen.

Color me pumped.

#30 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30160 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:27 PM

Webcam (seriously): http://fullcount.weei.com/loutube

Lavarnway already homered.

#31 JimBoSox9

• will you be my friend?

• 12220 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:49 PM

should I be seeing a picture? I'm not seeing a picture.

#32 tims4wins

• PN23's replacement

• 6579 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:53 PM

should I be seeing a picture? I'm not seeing a picture.

They had it up and running during the game yesterday