Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

WMB, Lin, Britton to the 40-man roster

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,161 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 06:39 PM

Cesar Cabral seems likely to be lost to the Rule 5.

Info:

#2 JakeRae

• SoSH Member

• 5,325 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 07:29 PM

Cesar Cabral seems likely to be lost to the Rule 5.

Info: https://twitter.com/...675614210625536

He does. I'm not thrilled with leaving him unprotected, but he's the sort of prospect this organization is going to increasingly have to expose and cross their fingers that they don't stick and get sent back (like what happened with Cabral last year). Unlike last year, I don't expect Cabral to find his way back to Boston this time. I can see Clay getting picked as well. I do not see Clay sticking. Other 40-man draft types we might lose are mostly of the older position player variety. Guys like Nava, Spears, and Rey-Rod have a shot at getting selected. In all of those cases, I think I'd be rooting for them to stick as it would be nice to see those guys get a shot and I don't really see that happening for any of them in Boston.

#3 Lose Remerswaal

• Leaves after the 8th inning

• 22,721 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 08:37 AM

Globe says the 40 man is at 38, so can't they add 2 more? Or are they leaving those open so they can draft a couple 5's themselves, or sign free agents?

#4 Bigpupp

• 814 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 10:16 AM

Globe says the 40 man is at 38, so can't they add 2 more? Or are they leaving those open so they can draft a couple 5's themselves, or sign free agents?

40 man is locked in until the rule 5 draft. Only people they can add to it are free agents.

#5 Eric Van

• Kid-tested, mother-approved

• 10,990 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 12:18 PM

It's the final math, and that they protected Lin actually tells you something about what they expect to do over the winter.

38 less non-tenders for Hill and Miller = 36.

Trade Bowden, really the only guy who has no shot of making the team and who is out of options = 35.

Re-sign Ortiz. Sign 3 pitchers and a reserve OF (or Beltran to make Reddick the 4th OF) = 40.

So, if they are looking to add 4 pitchers with significant chance of making the team*, either:

a) They expect the 4th guy to be on a minor-league deal

b) They expect to make one trade for a pitcher involving guys on the 40-man (e.g., Lars)

c) They expect to trade for, rather than sign, the extra OF.

If they take a guy in the Rule 5, it will probably be a pitcher who would be the 4th contender for the 2 open spots, so the math doesn't change: they would have to make some kind of trade if they wanted to add 3 pitchers and an OF.

There are plenty of viable FA pitchers so it's possible that they've decided they need to trade for an OF, since ideally they want a LHH who can play 1B adequately and 3B in an emergency. Not too many of those.

*There are 10 spots taken by Lester, Beckett, Buchholz; Bard, Aceves; Jenks, Morales, Albers, Atchison, Doubront. They need to add two bullpen studs and/or SP, they'll be looking for an Albers type to add to the pen mix, and maybe a cheap upside SP as insurance against a Bard and/or Aceves conversion failing.

#6 TomRicardo

• rusty cohlebone

• 18,349 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 03:44 PM

After the new CBA Cabral most definitely will be taken now

#7 Eric Van

• 10,990 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:24 PM

After the new CBA Cabral most definitely will be taken now

BA just put up its Rule 5 preview, and no Sox were among their top 32 draft candidates.

#8 twothousandone

• 2,983 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:28 PM

ideally they want a LHH who can play 1B adequately and 3B in an emergency. Not too many of those.

Why is LHH important? If they've re-signed Ortiz, wouldn't RHH, possibly, offer more flexibility?

#9 Eric Van

• 10,990 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:04 AM

Why is LHH important? If they've re-signed Ortiz, wouldn't RHH, possibly, offer more flexibility?

Assuming Reddick is the RF ...

If Crawford, Ellsbury, or Reddick is out with an injury, Darnell McDonald or an equivalent upgrade is the replacement. And as good a platoon partner as he is, he's that awful against RHP. If Ortiz is out, maybe you use Lavrnway at DH, or Lowrie at 3B and Youk or Gonzalez at DH ... again, good versus LHP,so-so or bad versus RHP. Ditto for Lowrie as the guy who plays when Gonzalez is hurt. You really want a guy on your bench who can play the OF and maybe 1B, and hit RHP adequately.

Edited by Eric Van, 30 November 2011 - 09:05 AM.