Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Syracuse assistant Bernie Fine Molestation Investigation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
201 replies to this topic

#1 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 16122 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 08:01 PM

Syracuse police say they are investigating an allegation that Syracuse University assistant basketball coach Bernie Fine molested a team ball boy for more than a dozen years beginning in the mid-1980s.

Police stressed to Outside The Lines they are in the early stages of the investigation.

The alleged victim, Bobby Davis, now 39, told Outside the Lines that Fine molested him beginning in 1983 shortly before Davis entered the seventh grade. Davis, the team's ball boy for six years beginning in 1984, said the abuse occurred at Fine's home, at the Syracuse basketball facilities, and on road trips, including the 1987 Final Four.

In addition, a second man -- a relative of Davis -- told OTL that he was also molested by Fine around the same time as the first boy.

Fine is now in his 35th season as an assistant to head coach Jim Boeheim.

Davis said he never told Boeheim about the alleged abuse.

Kevin Quinn, Syracuse's senior vice president for public affairs, issued a statement on behalf of the school: "In 2005, Syracuse University was contacted by an adult male who told us that he had reported to the Syracuse City Police that he had been subjected to inappropriate contact by an associate men's basketball coach. The alleged activity took place in the 1980's and 1990's. We were informed by the complainant that the Syracuse City Police had declined to pursue the matter because the statute of limitations had expired.

"On hearing of the allegations in 2005, the University immediately launched its own comprehensive investigation through its legal counsel. That nearly four-month long investigation included a number of interviews with people the complainant said would support his claims. All of those identified by the complainant denied any knowledge of wrongful conduct by the associate coach. The associate coach also vehemently denied the allegations.

"Syracuse University takes any allegation of this sort extremely seriously and has zero tolerance for abuse of any kind. If any evidence or corroboration of the allegations had surfaced, we would have terminated the associated coach and reported it to the police immediately. We understand that the Syracuse City Police has now reopened the case, and Syracuse University will cooperate fully. We are steadfastly committed ensuring that SU remains a safe place for every member of our campus community."

Wow.

ESPN

#2 Clears Cleaver

• SoSH Member

• 8297 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:16 PM

ACC! ACC! ACC!

If anything good came of the horrible story in Happy Valley is that maybe some of these victims will start to come forward.

this ballboy said eh was molested 1000 times. most often in Fine's home where he lived with his wife and two daughters. WTF

#3 bsj

• Renegade Crazed Genius

• 15438 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:24 PM

As a Syracuse grad, I feel sick.

Fire this guy right fucking now.

I really really really hope Boeheim really didnt know. But if he did, fire his ass too.

:|

#4 Williams Head Case

• 1679 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:48 PM

"Boeheim saw me with Bernie all the time in the hotel rooms, on road trips," Davis said. "He'd come in, and see me laying in the bed, kind of glance at me like, 'What are you doing here?'" But he wouldn't say that. He'd just scowl. And I would look at him like, I'd be nervous. I felt embarrassed 'cause I felt stupid that I'm there. I'm not supposed to be here. I know it, and Boeheim's not stupid."

#5 Reverend

• through the velvety hallway

• 23471 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:57 PM

"Boeheim saw me with Bernie all the time in the hotel rooms, on road trips," Davis said. "He'd come in, and see me laying in the bed, kind of glance at me like, 'What are you doing here?'" But he wouldn't say that. He'd just scowl. And I would look at him like, I'd be nervous. I felt embarrassed 'cause I felt stupid that I'm there. I'm not supposed to be here. I know it, and Boeheim's not stupid."

This. This is everything.

#6 AimingForYoko

• SoSH Member

• 14293 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:01 PM

Holy Fuck.

#7 CoRP

• 4113 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:02 PM

Please let Boeheim go down like Paterno.

#8 ivanvamp

• one campus at a time..

• 4285 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:05 PM

Please let Boeheim go down like Paterno.

Full disclosure: I'm a Syracuse grad. I could care less about Bernie Fine. I hope like hell Boeheim isn't part of this.

But I will say this: apparently the Syracuse Post-Standard, Syracuse University, *and* Outside the Lines all investigated this and *nobody* could corroborate this guy's story. The investigation went nowhere. All that exists is this one person's story from 30 years ago. If three separate entities all independently concluded that there was nothing to this, then this is light years from the Sandusky story.

That said, it is, of course, possible that it is nonetheless a true story and then it's armageddon.

EDIT: From (http://www.syracuse....university.html):
- - -
In 2003, The Post-Standard also investigated allegations brought by the accuser, Bobby Davis, now 39, of Bridgeport. Like ESPN, the paper decided not to publish the story because a second source could not be found to confirm the his account.

The Post-Standard interviewed Davis on numerous occasions about his molestation allegations against Fine in 2003. Davis alleged that Fine touched his penis on numerous occasions when he was a minor and an adult.

The newspaper determined that Davis, who grew up within blocks of Fine’s former home in Syracuse, accompanied the Syracuse University basketball team on road trips, including to Hawaii, where Davis said he stayed in Fine’s room.

The Post-Standard’s investigation did not turn up other evidence to corroborate the allegations against Fine.

The Post-Standard interviewed a handful of other men who Davis said had spent a lot of time at the Fines’ house as children and who Davis suggested might have been molested by Fine. All of these men, including a close relative of Davis, denied Fine had sexual contact with them.

Kevin Quinn, Syracuse’s senior vice president for public affairs, issued a statement tonight:

“In 2005, Syracuse University was contacted by an adult male who told us that he had reported to the Syracuse City Police that he had been subjected to inappropriate contact by an associate men’s basketball coach. The alleged activity took place in the 1980s and 1990s. We were informed by the complainant that the Syracuse City Police had declined to pursue the matter because the statute of limitations had expired.

“On hearing of the allegations in 2005, the University immediately launched its own comprehensive investigation through its legal counsel. That nearly four-month long investigation included a number of interviews with people the complainant said would support his claims. All of those identified by the complainant denied any knowledge of wrongful conduct by the associate coach. The associate coach also vehemently denied the allegations.

"Syracuse University takes any allegation of this sort extremely seriously and has zero tolerance for abuse of any kind. If any evidence or corroboration of the allegations had surfaced, we would have terminated the associated coach and reported it to the police immediately."
- - -

Edited by ivanvamp, 17 November 2011 - 10:08 PM.

#9 Williams Head Case

• 1679 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:10 PM

Boeheim: "There’s absolutely no way that I believe any of this could possibly have happened. That’s the bottom line."

Twitter

#10 Yaz4Ever

• can't find anyone to sit with at games

• 8290 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:24 PM

I really really really hope Boeheim really didnt know. But if he did, fire his ass too.

:|

Not picking on you one iota, bsj, but I have to comment on this. Thanks to the Sandusky situation, people are more liable to believe claims filed by others people in similar situations. I can't divulge too much information, but a very close friend of mine (someone I trust completely) knows Bobby Davis and Coach Fine very well. According to him, Davis is a drug addict who has always had a troubled life. He had no dad growing up and Coach Fine (who I had never heard of until tonight) went out of his way to take this kid under his wing as a father figure. When the kid (Davis) had crossed too many lines, Fine had no choice but to cut him off financially and otherwise. Davis, upset by this, sought a way to strike back at the coach by alleging the misconduct. My friend actually lived with Davis for five summers and was in close contact with both him and Fine for many years growing up. He NEVER saw any sign of anything inappropriate happening and is absolutely sickened by these allegations. He said there is a less than 0% chance that these claims are true.

Now, I want to believe everything my friend tells me is 100% true, but I'm also old enough to know that he could have missed signs of inappropriate stuff at the time. I asked him straight out if he was ever touched by Fine and he became very angry that I would even ask. It didn't seem like an embarrassed fit of anger, but of someone who seriously couldn't even fathom that any of this is true.

If this is true as I think (key word, think) it is with Sandusky, I hope he suffers greatly and finds a special place in Hell for doing this. If Boeheim covered things up (as Joe Pa) is alleged to have done, he should be immediately fired and any possible charges that can be filed (if any - abetting?) fall into place.

The notion of kids being abused like this is beyond sickening to me. The fact that ESPN or anyone else would go live with this without all of the facts is also abhorrent to me. It's very difficult to get your name and reputation restored after allegations like this are made, even if the media publishes facts that prove otherwise after an investigation. No matter what, this man will always live under a cloud where some people feel he "got away" with it.

I have no first-hand knowledge of any of this, but felt it important to share information that I feel is credible at this point. If my friend's story changes at all, I'll let you know.

#11 Reverend

• through the velvety hallway

• 23471 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:26 PM

If this is being investigated by the police now simply because of Penn State without any additional evidence, that's not right.

If it hasn't fully been investigated before by the police, but is finally being so because of Penn State, that's also not right.

#12 Yaz4Ever

• can't find anyone to sit with at games

• 8290 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:34 PM

If this is being investigated by the police now simply because of Penn State without any additional evidence, that's not right.

If it hasn't fully been investigated before by the police, but is finally being so because of Penn State, that's also not right.

Couldn't agree more. Big stories like Penn State can make those hesitant to admit something as personal and heinous as child molestation happening to them more forthcoming by knowing they aren't alone. It also gives voice to those who are simply out to make a buck, ruin someone's reputation, or just plain mentally challenged and confused.

#13 absintheofmalaise

• too many flowers

• 10932 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:08 PM

A bit more information has come out about Davis and Fine in this article from the Post Standard on syracuse.com Most of it is a re-hashing of the ESPN story. Here's some of the new info.

In 2003, The Post-Standard also investigated allegations brought by the accuser, Bobby Davis, now 39, of Bridgeport. Like ESPN, the paper decided not to publish the story because a second source could not be found to confirm his account.

The Post-Standard interviewed Davis on numerous occasions about his molestation allegations against Fine in 2003. Davis alleged that Fine touched his penis on numerous occasions when he was a minor and an adult.

The newspaper determined that Davis, who grew up within blocks of Fine’s former home in Syracuse, accompanied the Syracuse University basketball team on road trips, including to Hawaii, where Davis said he stayed in Fine’s room.

The Post-Standard’s investigation did not turn up other evidence to corroborate the allegations against Fine.

The Post-Standard interviewed a handful of other men who Davis said had spent a lot of time at the Fines’ house as children and who Davis suggested might have been molested by Fine. All of these men, including a close relative of Davis, denied Fine had sexual contact with them.

Davis said he broke off all contact with Fine in 2001 because, Davis said, Fine grabbed him by the neck at Manley Field House and demanded repayment of a $5,000 loan he’d given him — a debt Davis admits he never paid.

#14 JBill

• 1930 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:18 PM

There are two alleged victims, the second is Davis' relative apparently. Boheim says Davis is lying.

"I know this kid, but I never saw him in any rooms or anything," Boeheim told ESPN. "It is a bunch of a thousand lies that he has told. You don't think it is a little funny that his cousin (relative) is coming forward?

"He supplied four names to the university that would corroborate his story. None of them did ... there is only one side to this story. He is lying."

"We spoke to the people (Davis) asked the university to talk to," Boeheim said. "Not one person would corroborate his story."

Boeheim added: "Why wouldn't he come to the police (first this time)? Why would he go to ESPN? What are people looking for here? I believe they are looking for money. I believe they saw what happened at Penn State and they are using ESPN to get money. That is what I believe. You want to put that on the air? Put that on the air."

"He makes the point that he was around and traveling with the team," Boeheim said. "Not that I know of. I never saw him. He is quoted -- (that) I saw him in the room. I have never been in Bernie fine's room in my life. That is an outright lie."

ESPN

#15 bsj

• Renegade Crazed Genius

• 15438 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:24 PM

Boeheim is certainly taking a very different approach than Paterno did, for whatever that is worth...

#16 JimD

• 4600 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:40 PM

No.

Absent any new evidence, this is not remotely the same as the Sandusky case. The university investigated this in 2005 and determined that the allegations were unfounded. Based on this alone, Fine deserves the benefit of the doubt until due process is followed.

What happened at Penn State is horrific, but it does society no good to start condoning witch hunts in an attempt to make up for that tragedy.

#17 J.McG

• 90 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:58 AM

Boeheim better hope Davis is lying or those quotes are going to come back to haunt him.

#18 Williams Head Case

• 1679 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:13 AM

Saw part of the interview with both accusers, Davis and Lang (step-brothers). I don't really know what to think but I'm guessing this will be taken very seriously in light of the Penn State scandal and if there's something there then action will be taken. I have no doubt that like any sort of prior Penn State investigation or one here in this case, police may not have fully investigated. But that's total speculation at this point and, with the scrutiny of today's climate, will be proven right one way or another.

#19 notfar

• 951 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:17 AM

Boeheim is saying the right words in the right tone that I'd expect an innocent person to say at least.

#20 ivanvamp

• one campus at a time..

• 4285 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 05:57 AM

Boeheim is saying the right words in the right tone that I'd expect an innocent person to say at least.

Yep. At this moment, this situation is completely different than the Penn State situation (other than the nature of the specific charge, which, if true, is horrific).

#21 Tyrone Biggums

• nfl meets tri-annually at a secret country mansion in colorado,

• 3488 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 06:12 AM

This seems like someone is just trying to make a quick buck, then again the victim has been revealed, unlike with the Penn State case. I just hope this isn't a new trend of disgruntled ex staffers to come forward with false claims of sodomy just to get revenge on someone.

#22 Ananias

• 193 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 06:31 AM

The worst thing we can do at this point is over-react to unproven allegations. This is miles away from 8 victims and a grand jury. This country tends to be on a pendulum about these things. In the 1970s, accusations of molestation were too often treated with a slap on the wrist and a warning not to do it again. In the mid-80s (thanks in large part to the cases of Adam Walsh and Steven Stayner), American culture began to recognize the real problem of child sex abuse. This, unfortunately, led to some very bizarre and careless investigations leading to a rash of claims of epidemic-level satanic ritual abuse, outrageous supposed "kiddie orgies" at churches, schools, and daycare centers, and quite a number of dubious convictions based solely on coached testimony. As these convictions began to be over-turned throughout the 1990s, IMHO public opinion began to turn once again to doubting alleged victims. The public interested in "Recovered memories" became an interest in "false memories" and victims once again had a hard time being believed. The media (again IMHO) was over it and hesitated to cover such stories. The pendulum began to swing back the other way again in the early 2000s when the Boston Globe began its reporting on the catholic church scandals. We now seem to be in a place where Americans are willing to focus on this problem again. It is important that we avoid the mistakes of the past. Witch-hunts and over-reactions will ultimately lead to lies and doubt, and real actual victims may be labeled as sensationalists and vultures.

#23 Bucknahs Bum Ankle

• SoSH Member

• 8489 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:14 AM

Another Syracuse grad here. A good friend of mine in college used to babysit Fine's kids when we were there, probably around 1992 or 1993. I haven't been able to get in touch with him since this broke, but I'll update if I hear anything back. Very shocking. I have significant doubts as to the validity of these claims based on everything I've read. Of course if it turns out all to be true, I hope both Fine and Boeheim roast in hell. What a shitshow in any event.

#24 Tyrone Biggums

• 3488 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:38 AM

Another Syracuse grad here. A good friend of mine in college used to babysit Fine's kids when we were there, probably around 1992 or 1993. I haven't been able to get in touch with him since this broke, but I'll update if I hear anything back. Very shocking. I have significant doubts as to the validity of these claims based on everything I've read. Of course if it turns out all to be true, I hope both Fine and Boeheim roast in hell. What a shitshow in any event.

I would argue that no matter the outcome Boeheim and Fein have already been found guilty in public opinion since no one takes time to wait until all of the facts are know to damn someone. Boeheim had zero issue throwing the "victim" under the bus, which makes me believe this isn't true. I am not a Syracuse grad so this isn't coming from Blue and Orange colored glasses, however not every allegation is real. Just wait and let's hear the facts people.

#25 Hendu's Gait

• 3/5's member

• PipPipPip
  • 7918 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:24 AM

Response from the Chancellor:

"Last night, we were contacted by an ESPN television reporter regarding allegations dating back to the 1980’s and 1990’s that Associate Head Men’s Basketball Coach Bernie Fine had engaged in inappropriate behavior with a minor, now 39. Following the terrible news that came out of Penn State in the last several weeks, this is clearly distressing to all of us in the Syracuse University community. The news is already being covered widely by the media.

I want to tell you what we know and what we are doing about it.

First, as has been announced, Bernie Fine has been placed on administrative leave pending a new investigation by the Syracuse Police Department. He has vehemently denied the allegations and should be accorded a fair opportunity to defend himself against these accusations.

As we have communicated publicly in response to media inquiries, in 2005, Syracuse University was contacted by an adult male who asserted that he had reported allegations in 2005 of abuse in the 1980’s and 1990’s to the police. That same individual told us that the Syracuse City Police had declined to pursue the matter because the statute of limitations had expired.

On hearing of the allegations, the University immediately launched its own comprehensive investigation through its legal counsel. The nearly four-month long investigation included a number of interviews with people the individual said would support his claims. All of those identified by him denied any knowledge of wrongful conduct by the associate coach. At the end of the investigation, as we were unable to find any corroboration of the allegations, the case was closed. Had any evidence or corroboration of earlier allegations surfaced —even if the Police had declined to pursue the matter —we would have acted.

As of last night, we became aware that the Syracuse Police have determined to open an investigation, and we will cooperate to the fullest extent with their review of the matter.

Let me be clear. We know that many question whether or not a university in today’s world can shine a harsh light on its athletics programs. We are aware that many wonder if university administrations are willing to turn a blind eye to wrongdoing that may disrupt a successful sports program. I can assure you I am not, and my fellow administrators are not. We hold everyone in our community to high standards and we don’t tolerate illegal, abusive or unethical behavior —no matter who you are.

As you know, this week, I affirmed Syracuse University’s steadfast belief that all of us have the responsibility, individually and collectively, to ensure that Syracuse University remains a safe place for every campus community member and everyone with whom we interact on a daily basis on campus or in the community as part of our learning, scholarship, or work. We do not tolerate abuse.

The dilemma in any situation like this, of course, is that—without corroborating facts, witnesses or confessions —one must avoid an unfair rush to judgment. We have all seen terrible injustices done to the innocent accused of heinous crimes. And we’ve all seen situations where the guilty avoid justice.

At this time, all we really know is that a terrible tragedy is unfolding for both the accuser and the accused. I want you to know that we will do everything in our power to find the truth, and —if and when we do find it—to let you know what we have found.

Sincerely,

Nancy Cantor "

emphasis mine

#26 DLew On Roids

• guilty of being sex

• 11988 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:25 AM

I can't divulge too much information, but a very close friend of mine (someone I trust completely) knows Bobby Davis and Coach Fine very well. According to him, Davis is a drug addict who has always had a troubled life. He had no dad growing up and Coach Fine (who I had never heard of until tonight) went out of his way to take this kid under his wing as a father figure. When the kid (Davis) had crossed too many lines, Fine had no choice but to cut him off financially and otherwise. Davis, upset by this, sought a way to strike back at the coach by alleging the misconduct. My friend actually lived with Davis for five summers and was in close contact with both him and Fine for many years growing up. He NEVER saw any sign of anything inappropriate happening and is absolutely sickened by these allegations.

All of this could be absolutely 100% true without negating the possibility of molestation. Just as we're not quick to judge Fine, let's also not be quick to judge Davis.

At this time, all we really know is that a terrible tragedy is unfolding for both the accuser and the accused.

That's a great, great sentence.

Edited by DLew On Roids, 18 November 2011 - 10:27 AM.

#27 Bucknahs Bum Ankle

• SoSH Member

• 8489 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:32 AM

Yep, very well stated by Cantor.

#28 singaporesoxfan

• 3461 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:41 AM

Syracuse seems to be handling this much better than PSU. Both now and in 2005.

#29 luckysox

• Eeyore

• 3256 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:51 AM

Well done by the Chancellor.

#30 Bucknahs Bum Ankle

• SoSH Member

• 8489 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:22 AM

I heard back from my friend, but nothing very revealing. He worked for the Fine's one summer watching the kids. Didn't see Bernie very much. What he saw of him didn't lead him to believe anything was out of the ordinary. Obviously that tells us next to nothing, but just wanted to close the loop.

#31 berniecarbo1

• 1054 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:32 AM

As a Syracuse grad I am sickened by this. I truly hope for the entire Syracuse community that this is not true. I agree that the University is handling this issue much better than PSU and I am willing to wait for the process to conclude. Having said that it looks like they are rehashing the same allegations of 2005, only Davis' stepbrother is now coming forward. I saw the interviews on the worldwide leader last night and maybe I am biased because it's my school, but I was unimpressed.

This looks like a drug addict who has an axe to grind because Fine cut him off as was discuseed a few comments above. Bear in mind Davis tried this angle in 2005 in the heat of the Church scandal. Everyone was sensitive to it and three (3) different entities, including law enforcement as well as 2 media outlets and the University cleared Fine of this. Now, the PSU scandal breaks and this guy comes back again, this time bringing his stepbrother along.

If this is all true then I will lead the charge to have Fine burn in hell and run Boeheim out of town on a rail. No sports program is worth this sickness. If it is not, I hope they prosecute Davis and his stepbrother with the same fervor we all want to see Sandusky and maybe Fine prosecuted.

All I know is that if I am a coach or a teacher or a counseler, under NO CIRCUMSTANCES do I allow any kids anywhere near the program except in an open forum such as game day, media day or at personal appearances. The days of mentoring and all that would be over and if I ran the program (aka HC of a big time football or basketball program) I would make it a condition of employment for my coaches, trainers, etc that they do not engage in any camps, mentoring programs or other such organizations. The risk is just way too high. It is very sad it all has to come to this, but for the sake of the University and the personal reputations of good decent people out there, I think this may be the only way to move forward.

Edited by berniecarbo1, 18 November 2011 - 11:35 AM.

#32 Rossox

• 1552 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:06 PM

Well said, Bernie. I'm trying to reserve judgement of Davis and his stepbrother until I know the truth, but that interview was definitely not impressive. But that should be irrelevant. If the kid was truly molested for 15 years then it doesn't matter if he's a drug addict or a hedge fund manager - Fine should be in jail.

That said, the timing of all of this just smells funny, given that his case was already thrown out 6 years ago. I don't know, it's sad either way and Cantor's note was really spot on.

#33 Byrdbrain

• 668 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:47 PM

Davis needs to prove he went on those trips if he can't do that then the accusation has no legs.
Davis' mother has stated that he didn't go on any trips that required a plane trip, makes the trip to New Orleans and multiple trips to Hawaii a bit trickier.

Investigate this to its fullest but to me the victim's story doesn't smell right.

#34 Sea Dog

• 2126 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:19 PM

Boeheim is certainly taking a very different approach than Paterno did, for whatever that is worth...

I would, too, given how Paterno was fired with five days of that story breaking.

#35 Tyrone Biggums

• 3488 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:34 PM

I just hope that Boeheim is not forced to resign amidst these allegations that don't seem to add up just because of the public perception.

#36 JBill

• 1930 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:57 PM

Fine released a statement denying all allegations.

Also, Boeheim compares himself to Paterno...

"I’m not Joe Paterno. Somebody didn’t come and tell me Bernie Fine did something and I’m hiding it."

http://www.syracuse....boeheim_im.html

#37 Average Reds

• SoSH Member

• 10155 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 06:19 AM

Syracuse seems to be handling this much better than PSU. Both now and in 2005.

While I am in general agreement with this, I continue to be amazed that colleges and universities think that refusing to cooperate with the local DA when one of their own is under investigation is a good strategy.

SYRACUSE, N.Y. -- Onondaga County District Attorney William Fitzpatrick says Syracuse police are resisting his office's attempts to obtain records in the investigation of Syracuse University assistant basketball coach Bernie Fine.

Fitzpatrick said he had to get a court subpoena Monday ordering police to turn over records. But he said that when the subpoena was served to the deputy chief, it was greeted with an obscenity.

"I've never seen this happen in my history with the DA's office," Fitzpatrick told the Syracuse Post-Standard of the refusal to share records.

#38 JimD

• 4600 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:46 AM

While I am in general agreement with this, I continue to be amazed that colleges and universities think that refusing to cooperate with the local DA when one of their own is under investigation is a good strategy.

The article is about the Syracuse police department refusing to share records - the dispute does not involve Syracuse University.

#39 LeftyTG

• 748 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:55 AM

I see a jurisdictional pissing match between the Syracuse Police Department and the County DA, but I don't see where Syracuse University is refusing to cooperate with anyone. Did I miss something in that article?

Jason Whitlock has a scathing article on how ESPN handled the story, including a quote (whether you believe him or not is a different matter) from AJ Daulerio at Deadspin saying Deadspin would not have run the story with those facts.

#40 Average Reds

• SoSH Member

• 10155 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:41 AM

The article is about the Syracuse police department refusing to share records - the dispute does not involve Syracuse University.

That is completely my mistake. I read that as the Syracuse University Police. So disregard.

Of course, that just makes the refusal even odder, but unrelated to the University.

#41 soxfan121

• minidope/racontuer

• 14462 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:53 AM

Whitlock talking to Daulerio is one of the signs of the apocalypse, no?

#42 Dehere

• 2395 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 12:13 PM

AJ Daulerio at Deadspin saying Deadspin would not have run the story with those facts.

I can hardly imagine anyone less credible on any subject than AJ Daulerio on when it is or isn't proper to go with a story.

At least the context of the quote is funny: I spoke with someone widely known to have no ethics whatsoever and even HE agreed that ESPN fucked up!!!

#43 Tyrone Biggums

• 3488 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 01:07 PM

We're about to see if ESPN is strong enough to sack a legendary basketball coach. This was a dumb story to run with. It's all about money, I'm sure if Bernie decided to give these "victims" 10 dollars and a few perks they would drop this all together. Not trying to be incensitive but this looks like a shakedown. Shame on ESPN

#44 Manny ActaFool

• 425 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 11:25 PM

http://www.syracuse....ck_declare.html

Inmates running the asylum in Syracuse, depending on who you ask. Rarely do you see a public official go after another with this much vigor.

Syracuse, NY - District Attorney William Fitzpatrick today accused Syracuse Police Chief Frank Fowler and Deputy Chief Shawn Broton of criminally "leaking" a witness affidavit in the Bernie Fine case in an effort to embarrass the prosecutor's office.

"This should frighten every person in the city of Syracuse," Fitzpatrick said. He went on to accuse Fowler of implementing new procedures restricting prosecution access to all reports in the possession of police and to suggest police officials may be responsible for the vandalism of one of his investigator's cars.

"You do not have a police chief. You have a fiefdom," Fitzpatrick angrily claimed in a late morning press conference in his office.

Fitzpatrick called on Mayor Stephanie Miner to get some answers about how the Fine case witness' statement was leaked to The Post-Standard for a story in today's newspaper when the mayor announced Monday that there would be no piecemeal release of information to anyone until the police investigation was completed.

Fitzpatrick said the leaking of the witness' statement is a Class E felony. That's because it's a document that was covered by a judicial subpoena issued Monday for the police to turn over all reports in the case to the DA's Office by 10 a.m. Tuesday to be presentenced to a grand jury.

I believe this is the article the DA is so upset with.

http://www.syracuse...._ignored_s.html

#45 HomeRunBaker

• sloppy seconds

• 9985 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 08:41 AM

We're about to see if ESPN is strong enough to sack a legendary basketball coach. This was a dumb story to run with. It's all about money, I'm sure if Bernie decided to give these "victims" 10 dollars and a few perks they would drop this all together. Not trying to be incensitive but this looks like a shakedown. Shame on ESPN

Not that dumb afterall. Bernie Fine's wife says she believes he did it! Oh my.

http://espn.go.com/e...s-worries-abuse

In a tape-recorded 2002 telephone conversation, the wife of Syracuse associate head coach Bernie Fine admitted she had concerns that her husband had sexually molested a team ball boy in their home, but said she felt powerless to stop the alleged abuse.

Bobby Davis, who has publicly accused Bernie Fine of years of molestation that Davis said started when he was in the seventh grade, legally recorded his Oct. 8, 2002, phone call to Laurie Fine.

"I know everything that went on, you know," Laurie Fine said on the call, obtained by Outside the Lines from Davis. "I know everything that went on with him . . . Bernie has issues, maybe that he's not aware of, but he has issues . . . And you trusted somebody you shouldn't have trusted . . . "

#46 LeftyTG

• 748 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 09:23 AM

A third accuser has surfaced as well. Between that and this recorded phone call, I've gone from thinking he was being unfairly smeared to thinking he's probably guilty. One can only imagine what was found on his computers during the search warrant.

#47 Nuf Ced

• stupidity monitor

• 9273 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 10:18 AM

The secret service was involved with the search of Fine's home this week according to the Syracuse Post Standard.

http://www.syracuse....ins_invest.html

The Feds get involved if (1) sexual acts involving children who are transported across state lines occurred or (2) child pornography was viewed over the internet.

With the third accuser's claim, it involves crossing state lines.

THIRD ACCUSER SURFACES: Syracuse assistant coach Bernie Fine, accused by two middle-aged men of sexual abuse they say started in the 1970s when they were ball boys, is facing allegations from a third, much-younger man who says Fine molested him in 2002 when he was 13, The Post-Standard of Syracuse has reported.

Zach Tomaselli, 23, says Fine molestated him at a Pittsburgh hotel room the night before a Syracuse game against Pitt, the newspaper reported.

Tomaselli, a resident of of Lewiston, Maine, who grew up 78 miles north of Syracuse, told the newspaper he was interviewed by Syracuse police for more than four hours in Albany, N.Y., on Wednesday, when he also signed an affidavit that a source told the newspaper resulted in a search warrant being issued and carried out on Fine's home on Friday.

http://espn.go.com/m...-abuse-accuser-

Edited by Nuf Ced, 27 November 2011 - 10:19 AM.

#48 bosockboy

• SoSH Member

• 6959 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 10:45 AM

If Fine is guilty and hadn't burned or removed any evidence from his home by now.....he deserves life in prison for sheer stupidity.

This has more legs than a centipede now.

#49 bosox4283

• 2541 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 11:39 AM

What a strange, strange recording. We learned that Bernie Fine is gay and that he and Laurie Fine had no physical relationship. We also learned that Laurie Fine slept with Davis. Basically, we learned that the Fine family was anything but fine and, in fact, quite strange.

The dates and ages are a bit unclear in this recording. But it certainly makes Laurie Fine a witness or perhaps even an accomplice.

#50 Hendu's Gait

• 3/5's member

• PipPipPip
  • 7918 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 12:16 PM

"It's about the d**k"

-Laurie Fine