Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Sox looking to hire Omar Minaya?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
44 replies to this topic

#1 Foulkey Reese

• foulkiavelli

• 20,251 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:56 AM

SI_JonHeyman Jon Heyman
#redsox trying to hire omar minaya as special assistant, reports @MaureenaMullen

https://twitter.com/#!/SI_JonHeyman

A "special" assistant?

Edited by Foulkey Reese, 17 November 2011 - 11:57 AM.

#2 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• now batting steve sal hiney. the leftfielder, hiney

• 25,760 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:59 AM

First Baird, now Minaya? How many mediocre former GMs can they bring aboard? Tony Reagins, come on down!

#3 Remagellan

• 4,546 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 12:03 PM

If this is for anything more than comic relief, this would be a horrible decision.

#4 Corsi

• isn't shy about blowing his wad early

• 10,208 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 12:04 PM

Utter Speculation: But might this be somehow related to their pursuit of Carlos Beltran?

edit: Here's a look at Omar's pursuit of Beltran when he signed with the Mets in 2005: http://espn.go.com/b...carlos-and-omar

A meeting between owner Fred Wilpon and Beltran was finally set for January 3 in San Juan. Boras had wanted the sides to meet in Florida, as Beltran had done with the Astros and Yankees. Minaya insisted otherwise, figuring he could get to Beltran's heart by getting into his living room, though he had to settle for the Ritz-Carlton on the island, minus Beltran's wife Jessica, an absence that concerned Mets brass.

"We knew they were close and that she was going to be a big part of the decision-making process," (deputy Jim) Duquette said. "We thought it was bad news that she wasn't there. I think she was sick. But we were really hoping she would be there. We even considered going back down there so we could meet with Carlos and Jessica. It never ended up working out."

Said Beltran: "That came out because this year the Mets went out and added new people; first of all, to the front office, like adding Omar Minaya and Tony Bernazard. And then they went out and hired Willie Randolph and Pedro. So that let me know they were going in a different direction. . . . I really believe now players are going to look at the Mets differently, with more respect."

Edited by Corsi, 17 November 2011 - 12:10 PM.

#5 The_Powa_of_Seiji_Ozawa

• 4,305 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 12:07 PM

Now anyone in Boston can potentially be "Omar's Wacky Neighbor"

Just when you thought the situation in the Red Sox organization couldn't get any worse...they might as well just rehire Grady Little as manager and be done with our immolation.

#6 Paul M

• SoSH Member

• 10,381 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 12:07 PM

C'mon, Steve, we know experience counts for everything. And making one of the worst trades in baseball history is ok.

Actually, he probably has decent contacts in the Dominican and we've not really hit paydirt in that area in awhile. I don't want him very involved with MLB OPS.

#7 Smiling Joe Hesketh

• now batting steve sal hiney. the leftfielder, hiney

• 25,760 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 12:08 PM

C'mon, Steve, we know experience counts for everything. And making one of the worst trades in baseball history is ok.

Actually, he probably has decent contacts in the Dominican and we've not really hit paydirt in that area in awhile. I don't want him very involved with MLB OPS.

If he's going to be handling only that part of the ops then I'll be indifferent to the hire. But keep him away from any real decision-making process, please.

#8 Snowplow

• 925 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 12:08 PM

I would much rather that they brought back Duke than Minaya.

#9 OCD SS

• SoSH Member

• 6,862 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 12:09 PM

As was pointed out on BTF, before he was a crappy GM, Omar was a pretty good at identifying international talent. If the Sox are hiring him I expect it is so he can help revamp their LA operations.

#10 Bucknahs Bum Ankle

• SoSH Member

• 8,489 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 12:11 PM

As was pointed out on BTF, before he was a crappy GM, Omar was a pretty good at identifying international talent. If the Sox are hiring him I expect it is so he can help revamp their LA operations.

Could bringing Minaya aboard be related to parting ways with Craig Shipley?

http://sonsofsamhorn...90#entry3855190

#11 Needlenose's Pole

• 126 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 12:12 PM

I remember seeing a few posts when things started to unravel (post-collapse) akin to "Great.. with Tito and Theo out, might as well hire Minaya and complete the transition to Metsdom".
Concur with the upthread-- don't want him anywhere near MLB ops, but if he can open talent doors for the team, sign me up.

#12 EvilEmpire

• 4,781 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 12:16 PM

Seems like the more former GMs the Sox bring on, the greater potential for Cherington's authority as a rookie GM to get whittled down.

#13 JohntheBaptist

• SoSH Member

• 8,254 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 12:18 PM

Maybe it's totally irrational because his helping open the LA market could make him of use I suppose.

But I lived in NYC for his entire tenure with the Mets. He was a complete buffoon in nearly every avenue that job took him down. I also do not want him around the baseball ops; I don't want him around Fenway.

#14 mikeford

• woolwich!

• 18,217 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 12:23 PM

Only 1 step left to completely becoming the Mets.

Hope John Henry hasn't invested in any enormous Ponzi schemes lately...

#15 jacklamabe65

• A New Frontier butt boy

• 6,071 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 12:24 PM

The equivalent of the Pats hiring Herman Edwards as a special advisor.

#16 mt8thsw9th

• anti-SoSHal

• 14,172 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 12:32 PM

Of course, Minaya was an awful GM. Before people vomit in fear at the sight of his name, would you consider that while he was a Peter Principle GM hiring that he may actually have strengths that may help a front office? How was he viewed in his time as Steve Phillips' Assistant GM?

Edited by mt8thsw9th, 17 November 2011 - 12:34 PM.

#17 JohntheBaptist

• SoSH Member

• 8,254 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 12:46 PM

Of course, Minaya was an awful GM. Before people vomit in fear at the sight of his name, would you consider that while he was a Peter Principle GM hiring that he may actually have strengths that may help a front office? How was he viewed in his time as Steve Phillips' Assistant GM?

This was sort of what I was addressing--yes, I'm sure in some baseball capacity he has a function and could be decent at it. Peter principle is fair, but so is taking the sample of great exposure to the person over those ~5 seasons and worrying that that level of stupid is roaming the halls of your favorite team with the ability to make any kind of decision.

I guess I also mean, if it is in some international market capacity--why Omar Minaya specifically? Anyway, there's next to no information here about the hypothetical "hire" so you make a fair point.

#18 Omar's Wacky Neighbor

• 2,904 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 12:54 PM

Always had the rep as a great evaluator of YOUNG talent, but foremost he seems to have been a great saleman (that was the word used by a few people we know who've had professional non-baseball relationships with him). Scary part: he was all-in on Lugo, Bay, and DiceK. He and Theo got close® during the Santana deal (I won't tell the consigliere story again).

Trying to remember how instrumental he was in getting that Mets academy in the DR up and running. Supposedly the facility is gorgeous.

His latest thoughts on the game:

http://mlb.mlb.com/s...minaya&c_id=mlb

EDIT: oh yeah, he's not exactly a big fan of Lucky.

Edited by Omar's Wacky Neighbor, 17 November 2011 - 01:02 PM.

#19 ThatsMyPeskyPole

• 452 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 12:57 PM

With no NBA can we hire Isaiah Thomas to complete this debacle. I don't like to over react and like to assume things aren't as bad as they seem but WTF Sox look stupid.

#20 mahky bellhorn

• 1,520 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:35 PM

Yeah, I'm guessing that this would be the value he's providing.

It's pretty often in sports that people receive positions that they are underqualified for by excelling at one particular role. i.e. Wade Phillips and Norv Turner are pretty terrible NFL head coaches, but they got coaching jobs by being pretty good D and O coordinators respectively. Just because Omar fails at being the primary decision maker doesn't mean that he doesn't have value in looking for international talent.

Edited by mahky bellhorn, 17 November 2011 - 01:36 PM.

#21 mahky bellhorn

• 1,520 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:38 PM

Seems like the more former GMs the Sox bring on, the greater potential for Cherington's authority as a rookie GM to get whittled down.

I highly doubt this is true.

#22 Deweys New Stance

• 1,050 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:47 PM

Take a deep breath, everyone: apparently Omar has multiple job offers, including a scouting position with the Jays.

edit: Adding a link to a Daily News article which says six teams, including Cleveland, Arizona, and the Phillies, are interested in him as a scout or assistant to the GM.

Edited by Deweys New Stance, 17 November 2011 - 01:50 PM.

#23 bankshot1

• SoSH Member

• 7,930 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:52 PM

But I lived in NYC for his entire tenure with the Mets. He was a complete buffoon in nearly every avenue that job took him down. I also do not want him around the baseball ops; I don't want him around Fenway.

this.

He might be ok in limited roles,(liason to LA personnel, etc).

#24 Pumpsie

• The Kilimanjaro of bullshit

• 10,635 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:28 PM

Maybe it's totally irrational because his helping open the LA market could make him of use I suppose.

This. "Buffoon" is the correct word regarding Minaya. Met fans were just completely embarrassed by him. Every time he opened his mouth, he said something moronic. The one thing that sticks in my mind regarding Minaya is an anecdote in Lewis' book "Moneyball." Beane has Minaya (then with the Expos) on the line and is trying to get him to trade with the Red Sox for a minor leaguer named Kevin Youkilis (because the Sox wouldn't trade him directly to the A's). Then, Beane would trade for Youkilis with the Expos. Beane explains his idea to Minaya and then there's a pause. Beane puts his hand over the receiver and looks at Lewis and says "Who's Youkilis?" THAT is the clueless essence of Omar Minaya that should not be allowed anywhere near the Red Sox.

#25 Paul M

• SoSH Member

• 10,381 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:49 PM

The Mets' drafts the last 10 years have left something to be desired but they were better with International signings. Minaya was there for some of that period. I know I'm missing some good signings but I can't remember the Sox nailing too many even back to the days of Duquette.

#26 TomRicardo

• rusty cohlebone

• 18,349 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:55 PM

One thing you can't complain about it is Omar ability to find talent in LA.

When he worked for the Rangers he was the guy responsible for finding Sammy Sosa and Juan González

For the Mets he was able to identify Reyes.

Minaya is exactly the kind of guy I would want to be running my LA scouting.

#27 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 22,488 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:58 PM

This. "Buffoon" is the correct word regarding Minaya. Met fans were just completely embarrassed by him. Every time he opened his mouth, he said something moronic. The one thing that sticks in my mind regarding Minaya is an anecdote in Lewis' book "Moneyball." Beane has Minaya (then with the Expos) on the line and is trying to get him to trade with the Red Sox for a minor leaguer named Kevin Youkilis (because the Sox wouldn't trade him directly to the A's). Then, Beane would trade for Youkilis with the Expos. Beane explains his idea to Minaya and then there's a pause. Beane puts his hand over the receiver and looks at Lewis and says "Who's Youkilis?" THAT is the clueless essence of Omar Minaya that should not be allowed anywhere near the Red Sox.

I was going to post that this is the kind of thing I love about this board, that I never would have heard this story elsewhere. Well, I did, but shouldn't the guy putting his hand over the receiver be Minaya?

#28 Omar's Wacky Neighbor

• 2,904 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:24 PM

For the Mets he was able to identify Reyes.

Minaya is exactly the kind of guy I would want to be running my LA scouting.

I thought Omar just pushed the paperwork on Reyes, on the strong recommendation of his scouts? Didn't think he 'discovered' Reyes like he did Sosa.

#29 Omar's Wacky Neighbor

• 2,904 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:46 PM

Omar Minaya Suddenly Most-Wanted Man In Baseball

#30 DieHardSoxFan1

• Smarter than Theo, just ask him

• 2,777 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 06:06 PM

Some of the responses in this thread are utterly laughable. Minaya's one of the most respected talent evaluators in the game, and just because the guy didn't make a good GM doesn't mean he should be banished from working in a front office, including Boston's. There is a lot more to evaluating and acquiring premium talent than typing Fangraphs into your web browser or printing off a spreadsheet.

#31 geoduck no quahog

• SoSH Member

• 5,886 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 06:22 PM

Proabably has as much to do with minority representation as anything else.

#32 Omar's Wacky Neighbor

• 2,904 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 06:26 PM

Proabably has as much to do with minority representation as anything else.

That was Montreal.

#33 JohntheBaptist

• SoSH Member

• 8,254 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 06:42 PM

Some of the responses in this thread are utterly laughable. Minaya's one of the most respected talent evaluators in the game, and just because the guy didn't make a good GM doesn't mean he should be banished from working in a front office, including Boston's. There is a lot more to evaluating and acquiring premium talent than typing Fangraphs into your web browser or printing off a spreadsheet.

Oh, I wouldn't want to banish him. He can work for anyone else, that'd be cool with me.

#34 EvilEmpire

• 4,781 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:32 PM

I highly doubt this is true.

You are probably right. Based on the Sveum rumors, Cherington might not have much authority to begin with.

#35 Pumpsie

• 10,635 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:27 PM

I was going to post that this is the kind of thing I love about this board, that I never would have heard this story elsewhere. Well, I did, but shouldn't the guy putting his hand over the receiver be Minaya?

Beane was repeating to Lewis what Minaya has just asked him, probably rolling his eyes as he did. But if Minaya had someone with him on the other end, yeah, he should have put HIS hand on the phone and asked that someone else before revealing to Beane that he wasn't aware of one of the best players in the Sox system when he was already engaged in trade talks with the Sox.

#36 Green Monster

• 1,563 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:46 AM

So with yesterdays announcement of front office promotions, is there still room for Minaya in the mix or has this ship sailed?

#37 IpswichSox

• 1,872 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:59 AM

Once Lucchino announced Steve Phillips was on board as assistant GM to Ben, there really wasn't a spot for Omar.

#38 bakahump

• 4,833 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 11:12 AM

Once Lucchino announced Steve Phillips was on board as assistant GM to Ben, there really wasn't a spot for Omar.

Hmm wasnt Bobby V his manager with the Mets?

Curiouser and curiouser.

Also....I hope they dont have any females in the office...

#39 Green Monster

• 1,563 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 11:44 AM

Curiouser and curiouser.

OK, at the risk of sounding stupid........did I miss something or is my sarcasm filter not working??

I only see Phillips endorsing Valentine for the Sox job, no mention of the Sox hiring him.

#40 SumnerH

• Malt Liquor Picker

• 15,804 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 01:16 PM

OK, at the risk of sounding stupid........did I miss something or is my sarcasm filter not working??

From the New York Times:

November 26, 1998
Asserting that ''it was best for all concerned to put the matter behind us,'' the Mets announced yesterday that they had settled a sexual harassment claim involving General Manager Steve Phillips and a former employee who worked in the team's minor league offices in Port St. Lucie, Fla.

#41 mt8thsw9th

• anti-SoSHal

• 14,172 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 01:21 PM

I only see Phillips endorsing Valentine for the Sox job, no mention of the Sox hiring him.

You didn't miss anything. It's Baka being Baka.

#42 reggiecleveland

• sublime

• 13,867 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 01:45 PM

It was announced right after they said Isiah Thomas would handle free agent signings.

#43 rembrat

• SoSH Member

• 23,746 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 01:49 PM

Curiouser and curiouser.

I'm frightened that you own guns.

#44 Pumpsie

• 10,635 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 01:13 PM

Padres hire Omar Minaya

Well, at least we dodged THAT bullet.

#45 Omar's Wacky Neighbor

• 2,904 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:41 PM

Padres hire Omar Minaya

Well, at least we dodged THAT bullet.

Just barely. Had a chance to sit down and chat with Minaya tonight. According to him, he was VERY close to coming to Boston. He and Ben supposedly go way back and get along great together, but once Valentine entered the mix, they all knew there was no way the two could be together on the same club. But Ben really wanted him, and Omar loves Boston and would have loved to stay this close to home.