Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Peyton's Place in 2012

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
137 replies to this topic

Poll: Where Will Peyton Manning Play in 2012? (198 member(s) have cast votes)

Where Will Peyton Manning Play in 2012?

1. Retired - FOX/NBC/ESPN analyst (25 votes [13.89%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.89%

2. Indianapolis - tutoring #1 overall pick Andrew Luck (69 votes [38.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 38.33%

3. Indianapolis - Colts trade the #1 pick to make 1 more run (21 votes [11.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.67%

4. Trade - Washington/Snyder, Dallas/Jones, Other give up multiple #1s (43 votes [23.89%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.89%

5. Release - Baltimore? Other? (22 votes [12.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.22%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#51 Dick Pole Upside

• 3,471 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 09:16 PM

Man, this would be such a sad way to end a spectacular career if true. The city and state would be in shock, literally and figuratively.

#52 SMU_Sox

• loves his fluffykins

• 5,142 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 09:38 PM

As much as the Pats never having to play against him makes me happy, I don't want to see him go out like this. My gut instinct says the reporter is reading too much into Manning - maybe he was just depressed and frustrated with how slow his comeback has been. Perhaps once he crosses a certain threshold he will feel differently (literally and figuratively).

#53 epraz

• SoSH Member

• 5,411 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 09:59 PM

Or maybe he values the ability to walk over a couple more years in the NFL. It shouldn't be news that Peyton has a big, important choice to make.

#54 Dick Pole Upside

• 3,471 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 07:49 PM

Uh oh...

Colts vice chairman Bill Polian initially mentioned a recovery timetable of two to three months. When Manning spoke in early November, about two months removed from the surgery, he said he was still dealing with the same problems as before the procedure, his third on the neck in 19 months.

http://www.indystar....ews|text|Sports

#55 dbn

• 3,571 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 08:16 PM

As much as the Pats never having to play against him makes me happy, I don't want to see him go out like this. My gut instinct says the reporter is reading too much into Manning - maybe he was just depressed and frustrated with how slow his comeback has been. Perhaps once he crosses a certain threshold he will feel differently (literally and figuratively).

Amen. I "hate" Manning in the sports fan-sense (of course I don't hate him as a human being -- I don't even know the guy), but (a) it make sports more fun when there is someone to really cheer against; and (b) love him or hate him, he is one of the best QBs of all time and any true sports fan should want for a better ending to his career.

I truly hope he recovers, both his for his long-term health reasons, and for my personal sports-fan reasons. Of course, I then hope the Patriots absolutely destroy the fool every time they play him, as a Colt or otherwise...

#56 drleather2001

• given himself a skunk spot

• 15,383 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 08:23 PM

It would be wonderful if he played one more year and lost to New England in the AFC Championship game. It would really be a poetic ending to his career.

But, failing that, I would love it if the Jets traded the house for him...and he sucked and retired at the end of the season. That would be my dream scenario.

Edited by drleather2001, 30 November 2011 - 08:23 PM.

#57 Old Fart Tree

• the maven of meat

• 5,364 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 08:25 PM

Wow... that is pretty good. I like that too. Although the AFCCG scenario is pretty good too, wash some of the 2006 taste out of my mouth.

#58 dynomite

• 4,870 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:23 AM

It sounds like he's going to retire. And -- for the reasons mentioned above -- I am both delighted and dismayed.

More than anything else, though, this story illustrates the fickleness of sports (and the NFL in particular). I am so used to Manning on the Colts that I struggle to think of the Colts without him. Since Junior High he has been the Colts franchise, a constant figure on Sundays and talk shows.

All of a sudden, he's gone.

Personally, in light of this episode I resolve to better appreciate Tom Brady's superlative excellence. His weekly performances are so mundanely incredible that I'm tempted to take them for granted. But, like Pedro, Bird, and others before them, one day, perhaps quite suddenly, Brady too will be gone.

#59 ivanvamp

• one campus at a time..

• 4,833 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:28 AM

It sounds like he's going to retire. And -- for the reasons mentioned above -- I am both delighted and dismayed.

More than anything else, though, this story illustrates the fickleness of sports (and the NFL in particular). I am so used to Manning on the Colts that I struggle to think of the Colts without him. Since Junior High he has been the Colts franchise, a constant figure on Sundays and talk shows.

All of a sudden, he's gone.

Personally, in light of this episode I resolve to better appreciate Tom Brady's superlative excellence. His weekly performances are so mundanely incredible that I'm tempted to take them for granted. But, like Pedro, Bird, and others before them, one day, perhaps quite suddenly, Brady too will be gone.

Where have you heard that? I've looked on all the major sports sites, and I haven't read anything like that. I know he's getting some test results today or something like that.

#60 dynomite

• 4,870 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 02:44 PM

Where have you heard that? I've looked on all the major sports sites, and I haven't read anything like that. I know he's getting some test results today or something like that.

Everything in the last 10 posts in this thread, for instance: http://sonsofsamhorn...ost__p__3868881

The injury hasn't gotten better after 3 months of recovery, and at the time was described as career-threatening.

I don't have any insight, I'm just reading tea leaves.

#61 soxfan121

• minidope/racontuer

• 16,050 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 03:06 PM

If Peyton were to announce his retirement, there isn't a "signature" opponent left for Indy at home. So doing it in Foxboro and then getting a "retirement tour" for the rest of the season would make some sense.

If you are a great football player, is there a better active coach to have eulogize your career than Belichick? I'm sure that if Peyton announced his retirement before the game and someone asked Bill about it after the game, Bill would take 10 minutes to laud Peyton as a player and opponent, in the same way he did Randy Moss last season.

However, I'm hoping that isn't the case. I want more Peyton Manning playing football. No opposing player scared me more as a Pats fan. He was really, really fucking good.

#62 ivanvamp

• one campus at a time..

• 4,833 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 04:04 PM

Everything in the last 10 posts in this thread, for instance: http://sonsofsamhorn...ost__p__3868881

The injury hasn't gotten better after 3 months of recovery, and at the time was described as career-threatening.

I don't have any insight, I'm just reading tea leaves.

Oh ok. Because you had me frantically (too strong a word) searching for a story where this was said! It'll be interesting to see what he decides. That's a LOT of money he'd leave out there, but obviously you don't want to mess around with a neck injury.

#63 loshjott

• 3,852 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 04:26 PM

It's funny that Pats will play the Colts yet again in 2012 since AFC East plays South next year.

I for one would be happy to see Peyton retire. He's a great player and all, and deserves a Jordan-like retirement tour, blah blah blah, but I'd rather not see him in uniform against the Pats any more, thank you very much.

#64 Icculus

• 161 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:53 PM

Maybe things are looking up?
It's not quite a glowing endorsement and the lack of a timetable seems troubling this late but it does look promising. Personally I'd like to see him still play assuming he's at least 80% of Peyton Manning.
Guess it could also be some doctor CYA.

#65 dcmissle

• SoSH Member

• 13,226 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 02:28 PM

I do not believe that this, via PFT.com, is accidental.

Peyton Manning has said that, by March, his future in Indianapolis will become apparent. As the Colts close in on the ability to take Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck with the first overall pick in the 2012 draft, Archie Manning has provided the first tangible evidence to suggest that a divorce is coming.

Specifically, Archie doesn’t believe that Peyton and Luck will want to be teammates in Indianapolis.

“I don’t think it’d necessarily be great for either one,” Archie Manning told FOX Sports Radio’s Zakk & Jack Show on Tuesday. “I think Andrew’s the type of mature player . . . he can walk right in. I mean, these other three or four guys that are playing this year, [if] they can walk in and contribute, Andrew can, too. . . .

“We know Andrew well. He comes down to our camp every year. I used to play with his dad [Oliver]. . . . I’m in New York, I heard from him last night. Peyton’s also tried to help Andrew and kind of be a friend. I doubt if either one want to play on the same team.”

It wasn’t an accident or a coincidence. It was a clear sign that, if the Colts plan to take Luck, Peyton will be looking for a path out of town. And for good reason. With the first overall pick worth more than ever this year, Peyton surely would prefer that the Colts trade the rights to Luck for players and/or draft picks who could help Peyton win more Super Bowls.

This is football royalty trying to call its shot -- with old man Archie again taking the heat.

It's every bit as objectionable -- if objectionable it is -- as what Elway did, what Luck may be contemplating, and what NBA players are doing, even in the aftermath of the new CBA.

But because the Mannings shit ice cream, it will draw no objection.

#66 loshjott

• 3,852 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:00 PM

I do not believe that this, via PFT.com, is accidental.

This is football royalty trying to call its shot -- with old man Archie again taking the heat.

It's every bit as objectionable -- if objectionable it is -- as what Elway did, what Luck may be contemplating, and what NBA players are doing, even in the aftermath of the new CBA.

But because the Mannings shit ice cream, it will draw no objection.

You don't have to go back to Elway to find a comp, there's one much closer to home.

#67 Zomp

• Turkey Virgin

• 8,467 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:26 PM

I don't see how what Peyton is doing (presumably telling the Colts if they want to draft Luck, to trade him) is even close to what Eli and Elway did.

#68 dcmissle

• SoSH Member

• 13,226 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:34 PM

You don't have to go back to Elway to find a comp, there's one much closer to home.

True. As to Zo's question -- WTF is ARCHIE Manning doing messing in the Colts' business? What other parents of players do this (other than the dearly departed Earl Woods)?

Pattern is familiar -- old man takes the heat so the son can dictate the outcome.

If I'm the Colts, I'd draft Luck (if I'd like) AND keep Manning.

#69 Stu Nahan

• 3,911 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 05:11 PM

Very selfish move in my opinion. He's going to be 36 and is coming off a major neck injury. He could be one bad hit away from being done. Why should he get to make decisions for an organization that has compensated him very handsomely during his career? If they pass on Luck and Manning gets hurt, they are screwed. Way to look out for your team, Peyton.

#70 maufman

• SoSH Member

• 13,191 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 05:28 PM

I don't get the Manning hate.

It doesn't make sense for the Colts to draft Luck and keep Manning. The Colts are nowhere close to contending, so trading Manning and developing Luck is the right play. Therefore, trading Manning is the right move -- but it presents two problems.:

1. The Colts will have to restructure Manning's contract to make a trade work. (Restructuring will also increase the value the Colts can get in return.)
2. The fan base might revolt if the Colts traded Manning.

Manning can't say he wants to be traded, but he has clearly signaled that he will help orchestrate an exit (solves #2), and is presumably willing to play ball on #1 too (though of course he will have effective veto power over his ultimate destination).

How is this not being a team player?

#71 Tony C

• SoSH Member

• 9,101 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:36 PM

yep. Archie is speaking common sense and really helping all parties -- Peyton, Luck, and Indy mngment -- by getting out on the table that, no hard feelings, but need to start figuring out which one the Colts will keep and start making the moves to make that happen.

#72 dcmissle

• SoSH Member

• 13,226 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 09:08 AM

Oh, it's more than that -- unless you believe in amazing coincidence.

Who do you suppose is scheduled on Mike & Mike within the hour? Archie Manning. What do you think he'll be talking about, especially in the aftermath of that other interview?

This is an effort not only to dictate the outcome -- no Peyton and Luck on the same team -- but also the terms. If the Colts are inclined to Luck, Peyton gets his outright release and preferred destination. The Colts get nothing for him.

Now one might argue that this is going to happen anyway because no team in its right mind is going to give much for a 34 yr old QB with lots of mileage on his tires and bolts in his neck. I would respond that a few teams in the NFL are not in their right mind. But they also are not totally crazy, and the more Archie talks, the clearer it becomes that drafting Luck and keeping Peyton is untenable, so why pay anything?

One might also argue that Peyton has earned this. Fine. The just be up front about it instead of having the old man run around protecting Peyton's brand.

Bottom line as a Pats fans is that I'm happy if Peyton exits with no significant compensation to the Colts (unless, of course, he ends up in Miami). Just spare me the outrage when CP3 and others attempt to dictate their destinations. They may not be as "deserving" as Peyton in some sense, but it's basically the same thing.

#73 Van Everyman

• SoSH Member

• 7,767 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 01:44 PM

Missle, I agree with everything except for caring if he ends up in Miami (are you really afraid of them?) -- Archie is clearly doing Peyton's dirty work for him. And at this point, it's a little embarrassing.

That said, from a marketing standpoint, if you're Archie, aren't you trying to get both your sons into the NYC market? That's a minimum of two marquee games every year (against the Pats) -- three if the Jets face the Giants. Just the everyday media coverage in that market would be off the charts.

And despite all their supposed weaknesses, let's be clear: a healthy Peyton Manning turns the Jets into the prohibitive favorite. Not only would he be scary with Burress and Holmes, the impact he would have on players like Keller would be immense. Even their running game would probably improve.

#74 Rudi Fingers

• 1,174 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 02:22 PM

Missle, I agree with everything except for caring if he ends up in Miami (are you really afraid of them?) -- Archie is clearly doing Peyton's dirty work for him. And at this point, it's a little embarrassing.

That said, from a marketing standpoint, if you're Archie, aren't you trying to get both your sons into the NYC market? That's a minimum of two marquee games every year (against the Pats) -- three if the Jets face the Giants. Just the everyday media coverage in that market would be off the charts.

And despite all their supposed weaknesses, let's be clear: a healthy Peyton Manning turns the Jets into the prohibitive favorite. Not only would he be scary with Burress and Holmes, the impact he would have on players like Keller would be immense. Even their running game would probably improve.

I don't see Peyton signing up for a Rex Ryan team as a free agent, and I don't see the Colts trading with the AFC.

Remember who the Colts traded away to make room for Peyton Manning? Jim Harbaugh.

If Peyton is released, the combination of Harbaugh as a coach, a dominant defense, Gore (equal or better than James, Rhodes, or Addai), Vernon Davis (arguably equal or better than Clark), and a solid receiving core (Crabtree, Edwards, and Ginn aren't quite Harrison, Wayne, and Stokley) may be hard for Peyton to resist.

Edited by Rudi Fingers, 07 December 2011 - 02:25 PM.

#75 loshjott

• 3,852 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 03:45 PM

If Peyton is released, the combination of Harbaugh as a coach, a dominant defense, Gore (equal or better than James, Rhodes, or Addai), Vernon Davis (arguably equal or better than Clark), and a solid receiving core (Crabtree, Edwards, and Ginn aren't quite Harrison, Wayne, and Stokley) may be hard for Peyton to resist.

That would be quite the change in conditions. (and this doesn't include the winds at Candlestick)

#76 johnmd20

• voice of soccer

• 17,342 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 03:52 PM

That would be quite the change in conditions. (and this doesn't include the winds at Candlestick)

Are you submitting Peyton couldn't handle the weather in San Fran? Because I find that claim ridiculous, Peyton is 65-39 on the road in his career with pretty good stats relative to his home numbers. 97 home career rating, 92 road career rating. I'd say he would do quite fine in SF, provided his neck improves.

#77 hunter05

• SoSH Member

• 5,152 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 03:56 PM

I think Peyton would do well on every contender. His numbers may not be as good during the colder months in comparison to the dome, but make no mistake, if he's healthy, he's still one of the best in the league. If he does leave Indy, I hope it isn't to the AFC east, weather be damned.

#78 tims4wins

• PN23's replacement

• 7,297 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 03:58 PM

Are you submitting Peyton couldn't handle the weather in San Fran? Because I find that claim ridiculous, Peyton is 65-39 on the road in his career with pretty good stats relative to his home numbers. 97 home career rating, 92 road career rating. I'd say he would do quite fine in SF, provided his neck improves.

Career 98.7 passer rating indoors, vs. 90.8 outdoors. Not an insignificant difference.

Edit: and in "windy" games (29 game sample) he has a career 82.6 passer rating. SF might hurt him more than you think.

Edited by tims4wins, 07 December 2011 - 04:00 PM.

#79 johnmd20

• voice of soccer

• 17,342 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 04:05 PM

Career 98.7 passer rating indoors, vs. 90.8 outdoors. Not an insignificant difference.

Edit: and in "windy" games (29 game sample) he has a career 82.6 passer rating. SF might hurt him more than you think.

He'll be dominant wherever he goes. Most QB's have better stats indoors and all QB's have worse stats in windy conditions. If he's in windy conditions, he'll be affected a little bit(as would his opposition) but he is still one of the best QB's in the history of the game. A move outdoors won't change that significantly.

#80 tims4wins

• PN23's replacement

• 7,297 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 04:05 PM

Archie revises his comments

"I'm sure they could," Archie Manning said in a phone interview Wednesday. "Andrew is a great young man and we've enjoyed getting to know him. He and Peyton have a friendship, and I'm one of the few people out there that's not really concerned about this deal. All good people respect each other and I'm sure this will all shake out."

#81 tims4wins

• PN23's replacement

• 7,297 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 04:06 PM

He'll be dominant wherever he goes. Most QB's have better stats indoors and all QB's have worse stats in windy conditions. If he's in windy conditions, he'll be affected a little bit(as would his opposition) but he is still one of the best QB's in the history of the game. A move outdoors won't change that significantly.

Tom Brady has a career 98.4 rating in 58 "windy" games

#82 loshjott

• 3,852 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 04:06 PM

I think Manning will not come back to his former self anywhere (duh...) But if he goes anywhere other than Indy he'll be a notch worse than he would back in the dome due to a new system, new routine, new supporting cast, and yes, an outdoor stadium known for rain, wind, and generally unpredictable weather will also be a factor.

#83 johnmd20

• voice of soccer

• 17,342 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 04:22 PM

I think Manning will not come back to his former self anywhere (duh...) But if he goes anywhere other than Indy he'll be a notch worse than he would back in the dome due to a new system, new routine, new supporting cast, and yes, an outdoor stadium known for rain, wind, and generally unpredictable weather will also be a factor.

He will be a notch worse than Peyton , circa 2007-2010, that's a lock. But it he's healthy enough to come back, he'll improve basically every team he could go to, except for the Saints, the Packers, and the Patriots. Imagine that SF team with Peyton under center and that defense? Jesus, that would be a formidable team.

#84 maufman

• SoSH Member

• 13,191 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 04:47 PM

There's a difference between Peyton reworking his agreement to facilitate a deal, and agreeing to leave a gazillion dollars on the table. He's not going to take the kind of haircut that would be necessary to fit under the Jets' cap. I still think KC is the most likely destination.

#85 There is no Rev

• through the velvety hallway

• 24,164 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:58 PM

I'm not completely sold on the idea of having Luck walk in and start in the first year. I mean, the NFL game is that much faster, and I haven't seen much to dissuade me that a pro "red shirt" year isn't a good thing.

Of course, waiting a year would lower Manning's trade value. It also runs the risk of him turning out to be much hampered by his neck problems, which would destroy his trade value. But how do those costs (with the risk factored in weigh into the cost-benefit equation?

The flip side, of course is: What is the value of drafting Luck and attaching him to Manning's hip for a year before handing him the starting role?

#86 Super Nomario

• SoSH Member

• 8,135 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 06:28 PM

I'm not completely sold on the idea of having Luck walk in and start in the first year. I mean, the NFL game is that much faster, and I haven't seen much to dissuade me that a pro "red shirt" year isn't a good thing.

Of course, waiting a year would lower Manning's trade value. It also runs the risk of him turning out to be much hampered by his neck problems, which would destroy his trade value. But how do those costs (with the risk factored in weigh into the cost-benefit equation?

The flip side, of course is: What is the value of drafting Luck and attaching him to Manning's hip for a year before handing him the starting role?

I think there's a fair chance Luck struggles next year, but I don't think there's any evidence his long-term growth will be affected by starting his first year. Among the top QBs in the league, you have guys who started right away (Manning, Roethlisberger); you also have guys who sat for a bit (Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Rivers).

The idea of keeping Manning doesn't make a lot of sense to me. How good are the Colts next year with a healthy Manning? Are they really going to go from 1-15 or 0-16 to 11-5 because of one player, even if he's arguably the greatest QB of all time? This team has a lot of holes. And if the team isn't a Super Bowl contender, aren't you better off playing Luck and having him get his feet wet, getting what you can get for Manning, and having a 5-11 year or whatever and getting another top-10 pick? The Colts started Manning right away his first year and finished 3-13; with the #4 pick the next year they picked up Edgerrin James. They went 13-3 the next year.

#87 There is no Rev

• 24,164 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 06:36 PM

And if the team isn't a Super Bowl contender, aren't you better off playing Luck and having him get his feet wet, getting what you can get for Manning, and having a 5-11 year or whatever and getting another top-10 pick? The Colts started Manning right away his first year and finished 3-13; with the #4 pick the next year they picked up Edgerrin James. They went 13-3 the next year.

Dunno--that's what I'm asking, specifically, what is a year of Camp Manning worth to Luck's development over the next however many years?

#88 Super Nomario

• SoSH Member

• 8,135 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 06:42 PM

Dunno--that's what I'm asking, specifically, what is a year of Camp Manning worth to Luck's development over the next however many years?

We can't know that, of course, but two years of Camp Manning hasn't helped Curtis Painter any.

#89 There is no Rev

• 24,164 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 06:51 PM

We can't know that, of course, but two years of Camp Manning hasn't helped Curtis Painter any.

You could send me to Julliard and it wouldn't do me much good either.

#90 tims4wins

• PN23's replacement

• 7,297 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 06:56 PM

Probably not worth as much as having a 4-12 type of season and a top 5 or so pick. An Edge James would help Luck out a hell of a lot more than a year of studying under Manning would, IMO.

#91 Super Nomario

• SoSH Member

• 8,135 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 07:08 PM

You could send me to Julliard and it wouldn't do me much good either.

I was being glib, but what I'm trying to get at is that there's no evidence that either path - starting right away or holding a clipboard right away - is better for long-term development. And absent any evidence, I think taking the tangible benefit (whatever you can get for Manning, a higher draft pick from a little worse finish) makes the most sense.

Certainly there can be subjective factors that play into this decision (Brady was not physically ready to play as a rookie; someone coming from a spread offense might be in over his head; someone who needed his throwing motion overhauled might find it easier to concentrate on that just in practice rather than try to remember what he's learning with 300-lb DEs bearing down on him), but I think they favor playing Luck right away - he's been playing for three years in a pretty sophisticated pro-style offense in a pretty good conference with good coaching and has a reputation of being very smart and pro-ready. And while it's nice to think that anyone could learn a ton from Manning, the best doers do not necessarily make the best mentors or the best teachers - even if they are inclined to do so.

#92 soxfan121

• minidope/racontuer

• 16,050 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 07:24 PM

There's a difference between Peyton reworking his agreement to facilitate a deal, and agreeing to leave a gazillion dollars on the table. He's not going to take the kind of haircut that would be necessary to fit under the Jets' cap. I still think KC is the most likely destination.

Thank you for making this point - first, it's the most likely outcome and second, it makes all the kvetching up thread a little pointless (and bitter).

If I were Peyton, I'd ask the Colts what they are going to do with the #1 pick and when they say "Luck", I answer, "Good for you. Here's the list of teams I'd re-work my contract with in a trade. Make the best deal for your franchise - get Andrew some new OL and defensive players with the picks you get from trading me and I will say nothing but good things about the Colts & Mr. Irsay in the media. Call if my agent can help facilitate the trade negotiations. OK, thanks, bye."

Two Ferrari's is one more than you can drive at time, even if one is older and a little banged up and one is fresh-off-the-assembly-line. Manning & Luck on the same roster is a COLOSSAL mis-use of resources. Luck should play from Day 1; Manning should never be a backup after his career accomplishments.

The Colts, if they choose to move on, should get all the picks they can for Manning in trade and give Luck the best shot at a new dynasty. And the Colts owe Manning more the Bruins owed Bourque; if Manning is reasonable on the money, they should do whatever they can to put him in the best situation possible while doing what is right for their team.

#93 Old Fart Tree

• the maven of meat

• 5,364 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 07:36 PM

I agree, but what if (since this is all speculation) that list of teams to which he's willing to go is like two teams long? And now the Colts can only get 50% on the dollar? Or 25%? Or less?

#94 soxfan121

• minidope/racontuer

• 16,050 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:54 PM

As long as a two-team list isn't made public, the team trading a player still has leverage.

Let's say Baltimore is on that two-team list with San Francisco. Both will be picking somewhere in the 20s (probably) and could legitimately convince themselves they are Manning-away-from-the-Bowl. First team to offer 2012's mid-20s 1st rounder and a 2013 conditional pick (1st rounder if Bowl-bound) wins.

This is not as hard as people are making it - there's tremendous incentive for both Manning and the Colts to handle this gracefully and very little to suggest that either will be classless or clueless.

#95 maufman

• SoSH Member

• 13,191 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 09:05 PM

Info on Manning's contract here.

The Colts apparently negotiated a provision to protect them in case Manning was seriously hurt -- but the Colts would have to take a $16mm cap hit to cut Manning this offseason. That's a tough pill to swallow.

Manning's cap number next season will be $17mm.

At the time, the story was that Manning did the Colts a favor by taking a cap-friendly deal. Hard to blame him now for taking advantage of the contract's terms in his favor.

#96 soxfan121

• minidope/racontuer

• 16,050 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 09:47 PM

So Manning is getting between $17M (current cap hit) and $28M (the option bonus) in his "new" deal after being traded.

The big issue remains that the option bonus is due "right around the start of the league year" according to Lombardi.

I would not be surprised if the unannounced framework of a deal is in place before the Super Bowl. The time frame means it has to be agreed upon by everyone (Peyton, the Colts, Mystery Team) well before the option bonus is due to be paid.

#97 simplyeric

• Professional Writer

• 3,929 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 10:52 PM

I feel like he'd have trouble playing in, say, Buffalo. He's older, more banged up, and etc. That's not to say he would fail there... He'd likely still be quite good. But, what's the marginal performance loss that turns him from "conversations of top 1 or 2 in the game" to "definitely top 5-6, but not sure where on the list"? Between the weather, new coach, new system, new receivers, that might be happen.
And, is that enough to make him 'scary but not a terrifying juggernaut'.

Edit: or, basically what loshjott said.

Edited by simplyeric, 07 December 2011 - 10:59 PM.

#98 soxfan121

• minidope/racontuer

• 16,050 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:40 PM

Andrew Brandt at National Football Post has a look at every conceivable issue related to Peyton Manning's contract in three parts.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

These should be required reading, not because it's about Manning but it explains a bunch of little things about the salary cap along the way.

#99 axx

• SoSH Member

• 5,067 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:07 PM

It pretty much confirms that if the Colts were to pick up the option, Peyton would have to stay for a min of 2 years because of the cap hit. Clearly they aren't going to do that.

#100 lithos2003

• 257 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:10 PM

Maybe he doesn't play anywhere...

http://www.sbnation....ote-bob-kravitz