Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

NCAA Week 11 Game Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
244 replies to this topic

#201 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 20545 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 10:39 PM

Stanford needs longer cleats

Was just going to say that. That field is atrocious though. No excuse, it hasn't been raining that much around here this fall.

#202 Dave Stapleton

• Just A Member

• 5256 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 10:45 PM

Only way Stanford stays in this game is to get some fluky TOs.

#203 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 20545 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 10:56 PM

Why the hell do they ring the bell at second and one at the Stanford one yard line. Is it supposed to strike fear into the hearts of the Ducks offense or something? :rolleyes:

#204 DannyHeep

• well trained post artisan

• 17243 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 10:57 PM

Was just going to say that. That field is atrocious though. No excuse, it hasn't been raining that much around here this fall.

I love that the shitty field is hurting Stanford more than the Ducks. No excuse for that field to be that sloppy.

#205 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 20545 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 10:58 PM

I love that the shitty field is hurting Stanford more than the Ducks. No excuse for that field to be that sloppy.

Ducks are used to slop? It do rain a lot up there.

#206 Dave Stapleton

• Just A Member

• 5256 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:03 PM

Onside kick? Has to be right?

#207 Mystic Merlin

• SoSH Member

• 21363 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:04 PM

Luck has impressed me with his poise. He never flinches, or has a Cutler-esque meltdown.

#208 DannyHeep

• well trained post artisan

• 17243 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:08 PM

Calm eyes.

#209 Bob Montgomery's Helmet Hat

• has big, douchey shoulders

• 12271 posts

Onside kick? Has to be right?

Should have. Their D just can't stop Oregon

#210 Mystic Merlin

• SoSH Member

• 21363 posts

Calm eyes.

Shut up.

:(

#211 Bob Montgomery's Helmet Hat

• 12271 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:09 PM

Calm eyes.

Although he moves well to his left

#212 mabrowndog

• Ask me about total zone...or paint

• 37186 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:12 PM

Another ranked team in trouble. UCF just scored to take the lead over #22 S. Miss.

23-22 Knights with 8:24 to play.

#213 Dave Stapleton

• Just A Member

• 5256 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:13 PM

Stanford just has answers. Tells you just how good LSUs D is.

Edited by Dave Stapleton, 12 November 2011 - 11:14 PM.

#214 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 20545 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:13 PM

Ringing the bell on the Stanford sideline just pisses Oregon off more. :lol:

#215 Jnai

• is not worried about sex with goats

• 9274 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:16 PM

Luck will be perfect in indy. Already has a lot of experience playing on a team with no defense.

#216 Mystic Merlin

• SoSH Member

• 21363 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:21 PM

Nice catch, bro.

#217 Bob Montgomery's Helmet Hat

• 12271 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:23 PM

Luck's receivers are kind of blowy

#218 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30160 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:25 PM

"it is starting to get ugly"

#219 canderson

• SoSH Member

• 7621 posts

The wheels have officially come off for Stanford.

Edited by canderson, 12 November 2011 - 11:26 PM.

#220 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 20545 posts

Luck's receivers are kind of blowy

Their best deep threat, Owusu, went out with his second concussion last week. Don't think he would have tipped the scales though.

#221 Old Fart Tree

• the maven of meat

• 4932 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:28 PM

Well... we are who we thought we were.

It was really, really, really fucking fun while it lasted. Hopefully we'll dickstomp Cal and end up top 5. The pollsters are going to murder Stanford for this one, partially because they deserve it, and partially because I think when a goofy team like Stanford or BSU loses, they'll generally get punished way more than more traditional powerhouses.

Fuck it. It was really, really fun for a while there.

#222 mabrowndog

• 37186 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:29 PM

Southern Miss reclaimed the lead on a dominant "fuck this shit" TD drive & 2-pointer. Now they've just intercepted Blake Bortles and returned it to the UCF 30.

30-23 with 5:00 to play.

#223 Mystic Merlin

• SoSH Member

• 21363 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:31 PM

'Bama's chances are looking quite a bit better now.

#224 Bob Montgomery's Helmet Hat

• 12271 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:32 PM

For that reason alone.....Go OKState!!!

#225 mabrowndog

• 37186 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:34 PM

Heh. Southern Miss just fumbled at the UCF 11 with 2:47 left. The Knights have life.

Edited by mabrowndog, 12 November 2011 - 11:44 PM.

#226 absintheofmalaise

• too many flowers

• 10727 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:36 PM

Snowing in whereverthehell Washington State plays. ASU up 10-9 midway through the second.

#227 Old Fart Tree

• the maven of meat

• 4932 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:38 PM

A few other thoughts:

• Owusu going down hurt them, but the bottom line was the defense - which we knew was going to be a problem - didn't tackle well enough to win the game. Oregon is so fucking fast that you need to tackle well, and we didn't do that, and that's why we didn't deserve to win.
  • I have a... complicated relationship with my alma mater, and there are a lot of things they do that infuriate me, and there are more than a few administrators there that I have real problems with. But seeing the team on this kind of run was a real thrill ride, and it kind of reminded me how much I love the place, and I guess that's really what college football is when it's at it best. It's nice to be reminded of that, particularly during a week when we saw what college football is at its absolute worst.
  • The best sign from ESPN gameday this morning: "I programmed the computer you stole."
  • This was our one shot. It's too bad; we're never, ever, ever going to get closer than we were three hours ago. It's a sad feeling knowing that.
  • Fucking special teams... A secret hidden area of suckitude for this stanford team was the fact that the kicker couldn't fucking kick field goals. Not a big difference maker, but Christ, we can recruit the best QB in the last ten years but not some Serbian asshole who can kick the ball through the fucking uprights?
  • Luck's technically got a year of eligibility left. There is a greater chance of me being the #1 pick in the NFL draft over Andrew Luck than of Andrew Luck deciding to come back for a fifth year, but those are going to be the things I murmur drunkenly to myself as I dive into a bottle of scotch and rue this defeat.
  • I have always had a soft spot in my heart for Oregon. It's totally irrational, but the campus is beautiful and it's really the only pro sport in the state, and Oregon people tend to be pretty nice. Also, the first girl foolish enough to sleep with me in college was from Klamath Falls. So Oregon has always been okay in my book... but tonight, I'm going to drink some scotch older than the average player in tonight's game and keep saying things about how they are a RICO-level corrupt gang of JUCO gangbangers with speed and federal cases. And I'm not going to apologize for it.

Edited by Old Fart Tree, 12 November 2011 - 11:39 PM.

#228 Hendu's Gait

• 3/5's member

• PipPipPip
  • 7918 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:45 PM

The trees look really nice in October, but in November the leaves fall off.

#229 Old Fart Tree

• the maven of meat

• 4932 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:45 PM

Hendu,

you kind of sound like a cunt.

#230 Hendu's Gait

• 3/5's member

• PipPipPip
  • 7918 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:47 PM

Snowing in whereverthehell Washington State plays. ASU up 10-9 midway through the second.

Pullman, WA

"January is the coldest month with 22.7 degrees the average minimum temperature. The average density of air in the Pullman vicinity is approximately 1.15 grams/liter. However, this value constantly changes because of Pullman's dry summers and wet winters. The nearness of the Cascade mountain range also contributes to Pullman's changing air density."

Posted Image

#231 mabrowndog

• 37186 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:47 PM

Well, ESPN's scoreboard & play-by-play were all fucked up. Turns out UCF didn't turn the ball over -- they scored on a Blake Bortles 25-yard TD pass to J.J. Whorton as time expired, making it 30-29.

Then they pulled a TCU and went for the 2-pointer & the win on the road.

FAIL.

Southern Miss escapes.

#232 Bob Montgomery's Helmet Hat

• 12271 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:50 PM

Well, ESPN's scoreboard & play-by-play were all fucked up. Turns out UCF didn't turn the ball over -- they scored on a Blake Bortles 25-yard TD pass to J.J. Whorton as time expired, making it 30-29.

Then they pulled a TCU and went for the 2-pointer & the win on the road.

FAIL.

Southern Miss escapes.

That strategy is very dramatic when it works, but I think it's generally stupid. You have all the momentum--why not take it into overtime?

#233 mabrowndog

• 37186 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:57 PM

So New Mexico is 0-9. They've been outscored 195-14 in their last 4 games. And that's not including earlier losses to Arkansas (52-3) and Texas Tech (59-13). Easily the worst team in all of FBS so far this year.

Well, they're leading UNLV at the half, 14-7.

#234 Bob Montgomery's Helmet Hat

• 12271 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 12:03 AM

So New Mexico is 0-9. They've been outscored 195-14 in their last 4 games. And that's not including earlier losses to Arkansas (52-3) and Texas Tech (59-13). Easily the worst team in all of FBS so far this year.

Well, they're leading UNLV at the half, 14-7.

Although UNLV was only a 7 point favorite. So while I agree that NM is the worst team in the FBS, UNLV is pretty sucky too

#235 mabrowndog

• 37186 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 12:54 AM

Posted Image

#236 mabrowndog

• 37186 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 12:55 AM

Florida Atlantic is officially the only remaining winless team in FBS.

#237 Hendu's Gait

• 3/5's member

• PipPipPip
  • 7918 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 02:20 AM

Florida Atlantic is officially the only remaining winless team in FBS.

Winless in Boca is still better than being 8-2 in a place like East Lansing, MI or Sad Valley, PA, or Manhattan, KS.

#238 Manny ActaFool

• 425 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 03:04 AM

http://www.al.com/sp...ord_faulkl.html

This is a nugget from the NAIA ranks today, but couldn't resist. There were 55 Div-1 basketball games on Saturday, and this would have been the highest scoring of them all.

MONTGOMERY, Alabama - In a game that resulted in the most points ever scored in an NAIA football game, it was a fourth-down stop in the third overtime by the Faulkner defense that handed the Eagles a 95-89 record-setting victory over Union here Saturday afternoon on homecoming at Alabama Christian Academy's Norton Memorial Field.

The 194 total points easily outdistanced the previous NAIA mark of 141, ironically set a year ago in Union's game against Bethel. In fact, Saturday's game eclipsed the record in regulation, with the Mid-South Conference West Division craziness having ended the fourth quarter tied at 75. It was the second-highest scoring game in college football history, surpassed only by Georgia Tech's 222-0 blasting of Cumberland in 1916.

#239 mabrowndog

• 37186 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:33 AM

By the way, the background behind that Cumberland-GT game is fascinating.

Cumberland had actually disbanded its football program in 1916. But in the spring of that year, GT had lost a baseball game between the schools 22-0 amid rumors that Cumberland had used professionals as ringers. John Heisman, who coached baseball and basketball as well as football for GT, may or may not have been completely pissed over that, depending on which version of history you believe. Some claim the 222-point total was intentionally symbolic because of it.

Regardless, Heisman insisted Cumberland honor its contract and either play a scheduled football game that fall, or fork over a $3,000 cancellation fee. Cumberland's administration appointed a student leader to assemble a team of 14 scrubs and make the ~250-mile trip to Atlanta from Lebanon, Tennessee, and the rout was on. The Engineers scored 63 points in each of the first 2 quarters.

Tech was in the midst of what would become a 33-game unbeaten streak spanning 5 seasons. They'd outscored opponents 233-24 while going 8-0 in 1915. In the first game of 1916, just before the Cumberland matchup, GT had blanked Mercer 61-0, and their scoring margin that season would be 421-20 in 9 games. In 1917 it would be 491-17. In their 6 wins in 1918, Tech tallied 466 without allowing a single point. But in their one loss that season, Pitt shut them out 32-0.

#240 Royal Reader

• 1225 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 12:05 PM

I just don't think so - and the same applies to Oregon. No rematches. Barring an Arkansas victory in the last regular-season SEC game, LSU will be playing a team from Oklahoma. The only reason I can think that might lead to a rematch would be that the Sooners win, and Bama are so far ahead in the computers that, without the option of voting Oklahoma to number one to rig the ballot, the human pollsters won't be able to keep Bama out of the number two ranking unless they rank the Tide eighth or something.

Regardless, rematches suck.

#241 Mystic Merlin

• SoSH Member

• 21363 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 02:44 PM

That's probably true, though I disagree with the idea that re-matches are inherently bad. From a prudential POV, sure, it's a game that's already been played and it is aesthetically displeasing in some sense, but I fail to see a logical reason why a 1 loss Alabama team should not have a claim on that game, just like a 1 loss Oregon or OSU or OU. It'd be like penalizing Alabama for barely losing to the best team in the country (whereas OU lost to....a team that is not the best in the country, and Oregon got smoked) that just happens to be in the same conference and division as that team.

I'm open to a logical case, but I have yet to hear one.

#242 Hendu's Gait

• 3/5's member

• PipPipPip
  • 7918 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 02:53 PM

They should decide the winner of the BCS Championship with a 3 game round-robin between LSU, Bama, and Arkansas at Chickamauga.

#243 Royal Reader

• 1225 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 06:00 PM

That's probably true, though I disagree with the idea that re-matches are inherently bad. From a prudential POV, sure, it's a game that's already been played and it is aesthetically displeasing in some sense, but I fail to see a logical reason why a 1 loss Alabama team should not have a claim on that game, just like a 1 loss Oregon or OSU or OU. It'd be like penalizing Alabama for barely losing to the best team in the country (whereas OU lost to....a team that is not the best in the country, and Oregon got smoked) that just happens to be in the same conference and division as that team.

Well, the thing about the BCSNCG is to try to find out who the best team in the country is. Who the best team is between LSU and Bama, and LSU and Oregon, has been settled on the field. With the top teams in CFB having so few games in common, it can be hard to tell who the best teams really are, and what the general public thinks it knows (See: the only team that stands a chance against undefeated Ohio State on a neutral field is one-loss Michigan) often turns out to be false. So it seems silly to basically grant a do-over when there IS a regular season result between two teams already.

I BELIEVE my Tide is better than the Sooners, but there's less variability there. If the Bayou Bengals go undefeated, we will know that LSU is a more deserving champion than Alabama. With Oklahoma, they are probably worse than Alabama, and even more likely worse than LSU, but it's not been settled on the field, and there's a small chance that it's actually Oklahoma that's the best team.

Or, in short: I believe the SEC is the best conference by some distance, but I don't know it, and as such am unwilling to shut the rest of the country out of the title game entirely.

Edited by Royal Reader, 13 November 2011 - 06:01 PM.

#244 Infield Infidel

• teaching korea american

• 7851 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:31 PM

I agree that re-matches aren't inherently bad. But 40-27 is smoked? The game was 17-13 at the half.

#245 Infield Infidel

• teaching korea american

• 7851 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 12:07 AM

Bill Murray, Clemson fan

Posted Image

http://www.sbnation....n-fan#storyjump