Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

Patriots at Jets-The Turnaround

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2831 replies to this topic

#1 Dogman2

• Yukon Cornelius

• 11,301 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:32 PM

This is a big game. Jets are winners of 3 straight and the Pats are, well, you already know. Jets D is playing very well right and that doesn't bode well for a Patriots offense that isn't hitting on all cylinders.

This is my first Pats game thread started and it seems a change from normal protocol is necessary so fuck it, here goes.

Pats win by 6.

Edited by Dogman2, 08 November 2011 - 07:41 PM.

#2 Rico Guapo

• 482 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 08:05 PM

This is a big game. Jets are winners of 3 straight and the Pats are, well, you already know. Jets D is playing very well right and that doesn't bode well for a Patriots offense that isn't hitting on all cylinders.

This is my first Pats game thread started and it seems a change from normal protocol is necessary so fuck it, here goes.

Pats win by 6.

Fuck the rules. Pats by 10.

#3 Ed Hillel

• Wants to be startin somethin

• 45,177 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:16 PM

Jets win 27-20. Jets ride the early momentum of the crowd to a 10-point lead into halftime. The Pats slightly outplay the Jets in the second half, but not by enough to make up the difference.

This game makes us sad, as it is likely for the division and potentially a bye as well. Pats still win 10 games and probably make the playoffs.

Caveat: If Brady can either miraculously "figure it out" with Ochocinco or Taylor Price comes in and is a legitimate play-maker in his first real game, then I think the outcome changes. I just don't have a high confidence interval in that occurring.

#4 Shelterdog

• SoSH Member

• 8,892 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 02:46 PM

Jets by about 10. The Jets defense is really good (and the Pats' offense is playing poorly) so the game stays close for a while, the Jets pound the ball against a depleted linebacker crew, eventually open it up to the play action, and slowly pull away.

#5 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 17,009 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 03:03 PM

At the start of the year, I thought this was a game they'd lose even if they were playing well. Both sides of the ball are so inconsistent it's tough to see them winning.

#6 SeanBerry

• poopdragon

• 3,226 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 03:17 PM

Jets win 27-20. Jets ride the early momentum of the crowd to a 10-point lead into halftime. The Pats slightly outplay the Jets in the second half, but not by enough to make up the difference.

This game makes us sad, as it is likely for the division and potentially a bye as well. Pats still win 10 games and probably make the playoffs.

This post makes sense to me.

+1

#7 Mystic Merlin

• SoSH Member

• 22,140 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 03:53 PM

I do not like this matchup, or its timing. The Jets, having seemingly hit their stride, enter this one riding some very good defensive performances and a bit of an offensive resurgence. The defense has doubled down against the run, and their OL has quietly stabilized itself - Wayne Hunter still isn't all that good, but it isn't a huge deal when you feature three blue chip OL (Ferguson, Mangold, Moore) elsewhere. Contrary to what pundits think, the Jets still are not running the ball too well (I guess when the Jets offense play well and they run credibly, it means they've returned to 'ground n pound'?), but they're running it well enough.

The Pats are a mess right now, and it's not much solace that they somehow managed to not get blown out in the past few weeks because they'll continue to lose if they play that terribly offensively. The inefficiency and turnovers is maddening, and I am not expecting a seachange improvement this week. They're regressing, and the Jets defense is doing just the opposite - David Harris is destroying souls, Pouha is a rock, and their safeties, even Eric Smith, have come on the past few weeks in coverage. While acknowledging that things can change on a dime in the NFL, I'm expecting yet another difficult, sluggish effort out of the offense and a competitive yet ultimately futile effort by the defense. The Pats are anything but a 'soft' team, but they are currently a mediocre one. Contending with a good Rex Ryan defense is a tall task in any case, and a slumping and possibly injured Brady puts that challenge into even sharper, grimmer relief.

I suspect it will be a 7-10 point Jets win, with the game largely played to the Jets' tempo, a slow, uneven and potentially turnover-plentiful affair that the Jets pull out at home.

EDIT - If the offense is going to bounce back, not only do they have to do pretty much everything better, but they need to not throw the ball 40+ times. Rex Ryan has too many wrinkles in his bag of tricks - and the Jets too effective a pass defense - to be too predictable. If they can't run the ball credibly (note: 1-2 yards on first down doesn't cut it), then they'll box themselves in, and I suspect Ryan - if he can - will throw all sorts of combo coverages, well-timed exotic blitzes to exploit a one-dimensional unit. So, put another way, the Jets pass defense is too good to bank on exploiting it all day; the Pats throw it more than well enough to get their yards and points on even the best pass defense, but I don't see that happening too often if they can't credibly run the ball. They're in deep shit if they trudge into the fourth quarter again with 10-13 points or so.

Edited by Mystic Merlin, 09 November 2011 - 04:00 PM.

#8 dcmissle

• SoSH Member

• 13,067 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 06:10 PM

I fear it's going to be an ass-kicking -- Jets by 20 -- and we'll be discussing hosting the Chiefs at home next week with the season on the line.

The will is there, the wherewithal is not. Too depleted.

On the other hand, I really liked the Giants matchup for the Pats last week.

27 to 7, Jets.

Edited by dcmissle, 09 November 2011 - 06:11 PM.

#9 BigSoxFan

• SoSH Member

• 12,742 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 06:55 PM

The key for me is the turnover battle. We haven't protected the ball well at all recently and it has killed us. The Jets' offense isn't good enough to score 27+ without getting some help from their defense/special teams. I think the Pats will put forth a much better effort because their backs are against the proverbially wall. Whether that that translates into a win, I don't know. My hunch is that we win a close one, something like 24-21.

#10 TheoShmeo

• made johnny damon think long and hard

• 8,337 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:38 AM

I think the Pats are going to win. Tom is going to overcome the recent troubles and this team didn't turn to shit overnight. Yep, the Jets are formidable and are on a bit of a roll but I don't see three losses in a row for this team and that head coach/QB combo.

I could be wrong. I'm heavily biased. Among other things, I'm going to the game.

But, yeah, I see a Pats win on Sunday night.

#11 Jimy Hendrix

• 2,657 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:31 AM

The Pats have a real shot at this if they can pound out 110+ yards rushing and win the turnover battle, or at least not brutally lose it the way they have in 2/3rds of their losses thus far.

What's the word on BJGE's health going into this one?

#12 j44thor

• 4,258 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:18 AM

Pats need to establish the run this week to control the clock and limit the amount of time a paper thin secondary has to stay on the field.

If Chung can't go the Pats will be forced to play a softer than usual zone D to make up for the lack of experience/talent in the back 7. This will make us all very sad and essentially comes down to holding the Jets to FG in the Red Zone because moving the ball between the 20's won't be a problem. The challenge then becomes how do you stop Burress with our bevy of 5'8"-5'10" CB's.

Conversely the Pats will absolutely need TD's in the Red Zone because I don't think they will get there too often.

The Pats struggled and lost to two injury depleted teams the last two weeks. Now the Pats are the injury depleted team going against a healthy opponent. Past Patriots teams would have made this an "Us against the World" game and found a way to win. Unfortunately Willie, Vrabel, Rodney and big Sey, aren't walking through that tunnel.

NYJ 27 - Pats 16

#13 Judge Mental13

• designated driver

• 4,885 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:26 PM

I think the Pats win this game.

I think they will struggle to score on offense, but that NYJ will struggle even more. The Patriots front 7 are more than capable of stuffing the Jets run game, and if they can take away quick slants and in routes from Sanchez and force him to look deep down the sidelines I think this defense is very capable of making him turn the ball over.

This defense dominated Eli Manning for most of the game last week, and Sanchez ain't no Eli Manning. I expect this to be a struggle, and if Brady is still not sharp it's going to get pretty ugly, but I expect him to play better this week and therefore I'm calling it:

Patriots 20

Jets 10

#14 SeanBerry

• poopdragon

• 3,226 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:19 PM

If the Jets score 10 or less points, I will write "Judge Mental Rules" on my ass cheeks and send you a picture.

There is no way that happens. They have scored over 20 points each of the past 4 games and haven't scored under 17 all season. That horrid Pats defense (with the exception of one half against the Giants) won't be the team to keep them to 10 or under this season.

The Patriots defense could easily be called the worst in the NFL. It's that bad.

#15 NickEsasky

• Code Name: Duchess

• 6,913 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:50 PM

If the Jets score 10 or less points, I will write "Judge Mental Rules" on my ass cheeks and send you a picture.

There is no way that happens. They have scored over 20 points each of the past 4 games and haven't scored under 17 all season. That horrid Pats defense (with the exception of one half against the Giants) won't be the team to keep them to 10 or under this season.

The Patriots defense could easily be called the worst in the NFL. It's that bad.

So either way JM loses?

#16 Super Nomario

• SoSH Member

• 7,962 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:35 PM

The Pats D played well one other time this season - in the first meeting against the Jets.

I agree it's unlikely the Pats hold anyone to under 10 points, but the numbers you're throwing around here oversell the Jets O. They scored 17 points against Baltimore, but 14 were on a kick return TD and an interception return TD. Last week they had four drives that started in Buffalo territory; they turned those into 10 points. Versus San Diego, again, 10 points started in SD territory.

The Pats probably aren't the team to do it, but a team that doesn't turn the ball over and plays well in kick coverage has a pretty good chance of holding the Jets to 14 points or less.

#17 doubleg

• Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:32 PM

This game has disaster written all over it, a match up of two teams heading in the opposite direction.

Firemarshall Bill will get Vinnie, Louie, big petey, medium petey and joe bag of donuts from staten island all fired up pregame, then the Jets will surge onto the field and wipe the field with the Patriots. Fatso will be fist pumping and smiling with that piano toothed smile of his, Plax will score three touchdowns via that pattened end zone fade pass, then he'll be flashing gang symbols to all his homes in prison, all the while wearing his Jets hat sideways on his dome.

Jets 27 Patriots 10; it took fatso three years, but he'll finally win the AFC East and get a home playoff game on his way to another AFCCG loss, this time to the Ravens in Baltimore.............

Edited by doubleg, 10 November 2011 - 07:33 PM.

#18 Sille Skrub

• 3,963 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:26 AM

I like the Pats in a squeaker. Should be a good one...

#19 estreetfan

• 402 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:45 AM

OK, so the Pats are a pass interference call or two away from being 7-1. I know you are what you are as the record shows but I feel out beloved Patriots will win!

#20 Adrian's Dome

• 2,679 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 07:39 AM

The Jets' offense has equal the opportunity to suck as the Pats' defense.

24-13 Pats.

#21 neil

• 700 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:52 AM

This game is determined in the 1st quarter I think. If the Pats come out with a better improved play on offense and get ahead of the Jets I think it will be a very close game. If they come out and either go 3 and out or let the Jets score on the first drive then it's going to be a long day as a Pats fan.

I want the Pats to win badly, but if I was a betting man I'd be putting money on the Jets.

#22 Mark Schofield

• SoSH Member

• 14,675 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:56 AM

This game comes at the absolute worst time for New England. New York looks like they are figuring things out offensively, and Plex looks to be getting his football legs back. New England is struggling on offense, Brady looks shaky at times, and spathe problems with the defense are well-documented.

It has all the makings of a big Jets win, maybe 24-14. If New Englandis going to win, they need to come out and establish the run, have a long, sustained drive or two early and take the energy out of the stadium as much as possible. Sunday night game? You know that place is going to be electric.

#23 ShaneTrot

• 4,550 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:24 AM

The turnovers last week killed NE. They need to run on the Jets because the Jets will try to stifle the receivers. Clean TO game and run the ball. If not they are screwed.

#24 Mooch

• 707 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:29 AM

Patriots 34
Jets 17

I think the Patriots offense puts it all back together this week with some early screens to get the Jets front seven on their heels. And Sanchez is overdue for one of his patented stinkers.

#25 TheoShmeo

• 8,337 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:29 AM

If Bill wants to play the "us against the world" card, here's some fodder.

And the entire slate got it wrong last night.

#26 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 17,009 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:31 AM

I've been told Jets safety Brodney Pool (sprained MCL) will not play Sunday night vs Patriots. #nyj

https://twitter.com/#!/TheJetsStream/status/135030241344233473
link to tweet
link to tweet

#27 Mystic Merlin

• SoSH Member

• 22,140 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 12:36 PM

Chung present at Friday's practice.

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- After missing practice on Wednesday and Thursday with a right foot injury, starting safety Patrick Chung took the field with his teammates for Friday's practice.

#28 dcmissle

• SoSH Member

• 13,067 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 02:18 PM

If Bill wants to play the "us against the world" card, here's some fodder.

And the entire slate got it wrong last night.

With Accuscore going against the grain; I hadn't even looked at it since February 2008.

In that vein, words like these once got you singed like a cretin on the tree line that Col. Kurtz called the air strike against -- or like some punk ass kid in the Steelers' secondary.

http://profootballta...e-more-anxious/

But that was then, and this is now.

#29 Mystic Merlin

• SoSH Member

• 22,140 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:10 PM

I don't believe any of that shit. Chuck Noll had it right - you win on the field, not during the pre-game speech.

#30 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 10,705 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:08 PM

RapSheet

Patriots LB Brandon Spikes declared OUT for Sunday's game vs. Jets. Same with Dane Fletcher, two two ILBs

#31 twibnotes

• SoSH Member

• 9,016 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 08:27 AM

Will be interesting to see how the game is officiated. Revis is Ty Law-like (but better) in his ability to get away with physical contact. I expect Welker to get mugged all day...we may need a call or two to open things up.

Ugh, we really have become the Colts.

#32 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,162 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 01:18 PM

wtf...

@tomecurran: Solder got concussed somehow. Added to injury report today and is questionable for Jets game

#33 Tony C

• SoSH Member

• 9,009 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 08:02 PM

I do not like this matchup, or its timing. The Jets, having seemingly hit their stride, enter this one riding some very good defensive performances and a bit of an offensive resurgence. The defense has doubled down against the run, and their OL has quietly stabilized itself - Wayne Hunter still isn't all that good, but it isn't a huge deal when you feature three blue chip OL (Ferguson, Mangold, Moore) elsewhere. Contrary to what pundits think, the Jets still are not running the ball too well (I guess when the Jets offense play well and they run credibly, it means they've returned to 'ground n pound'?), but they're running it well enough.

The Pats are a mess right now, and it's not much solace that they somehow managed to not get blown out in the past few weeks because they'll continue to lose if they play that terribly offensively. The inefficiency and turnovers is maddening, and I am not expecting a seachange improvement this week. They're regressing, and the Jets defense is doing just the opposite - David Harris is destroying souls, Pouha is a rock, and their safeties, even Eric Smith, have come on the past few weeks in coverage. While acknowledging that things can change on a dime in the NFL, I'm expecting yet another difficult, sluggish effort out of the offense and a competitive yet ultimately futile effort by the defense. The Pats are anything but a 'soft' team, but they are currently a mediocre one. Contending with a good Rex Ryan defense is a tall task in any case, and a slumping and possibly injured Brady puts that challenge into even sharper, grimmer relief.

I suspect it will be a 7-10 point Jets win, with the game largely played to the Jets' tempo, a slow, uneven and potentially turnover-plentiful affair that the Jets pull out at home.

EDIT - If the offense is going to bounce back, not only do they have to do pretty much everything better, but they need to not throw the ball 40+ times. Rex Ryan has too many wrinkles in his bag of tricks - and the Jets too effective a pass defense - to be too predictable. If they can't run the ball credibly (note: 1-2 yards on first down doesn't cut it), then they'll box themselves in, and I suspect Ryan - if he can - will throw all sorts of combo coverages, well-timed exotic blitzes to exploit a one-dimensional unit. So, put another way, the Jets pass defense is too good to bank on exploiting it all day; the Pats throw it more than well enough to get their yards and points on even the best pass defense, but I don't see that happening too often if they can't credibly run the ball. They're in deep shit if they trudge into the fourth quarter again with 10-13 points or so.

A lot of truth in the above. basically I think this will be a butt-kicking. Last week was the first time I saw the Jets offense look better than average this year, and the defense is really rounding into shape. Not to underplay the Pats -- they dominated the Jets the last game, after all, and still have a top-ranked offense and what I think is an underrated defense. But the offense depends on Brady being Brady, and I'm worried about whatever his injury is. And while the defense is better than the numbers say, without Chung and Spikes it's likely every bit as bad as those numbers say.

Pats are tough and will stick in it, but still lose decisively 23-14.

And after that comes the revival...I still have faith, just not this week.

#34 Soxy Brown

• 2,564 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 08:05 PM

As usual, Brian Burke has some on-point analysis:

In terms of predictive efficiency, the Jets rank 20th on offense and 5th on defense, while the Patriots rank 2nd on offense and 25th on defense. Both teams have had tough schedules, with the Patriots having a slightly tougher one. New England is reeling from two consecutive losses, but they're the better team at the moment. The Jets have home-field advantage this time around, so the efficiency model is in agreement with the larger consensus that this game is a virtual tossup.

Sounds about right. This isn't the type of game where someone can make mistakes and still pull it out. I see turnovers and penalties being the difference. Whoever wins those categories is likely to win the game.

#35 bean8282

• 434 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 09:15 PM

A win would be really nice.

#36 aksoxfan

• 2,260 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 09:27 PM

As usual, Brian Burke has some on-point analysis:

Sounds about right. This isn't the type of game where someone can make mistakes and still pull it out. I see turnovers and penalties being the difference. Whoever wins those categories is likely to win the game.

So let's hope for a competent officiating crew that calls the game fairly. I don't want to lose due to some bogus PI call...

#37 ivanvamp

• one campus at a time..

• 4,677 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 08:17 AM

So let's hope for a competent officiating crew that calls the game fairly. I don't want to lose due to some bogus PI call...

Arrington covering Holmes tightly and physically....flag or no flag?
Revis covering Welker tightly and physically...flag or no flag?

I think we all know the answers to those two questions.

#38 TheoShmeo

• 8,337 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:30 AM

Arrington covering Holmes tightly and physically....flag or no flag?
Revis covering Welker tightly and physically...flag or no flag?

I think we all know the answers to those two questions.

The star system in sports isn't exactly news.

But are you claiming there's anti-Patriots bias in that? If so, on what basis?

#39 Sille Skrub

• 3,963 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:58 AM

Win today.

Is it 5pm yet?

#40 IHit80inthe90s

• 43 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 11:08 AM

Win today.

Is it 5pm yet?

It is in Germany. Prost!!

#41 Doctor G

• 1,925 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 11:37 AM

Pats need to establish the run, use field position to protect their DB's. They still don't trust Sanchez to throw the ball deep in his own territory.

#42 drleather2001

• given himself a skunk spot

• 15,049 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 12:04 PM

The star system in sports isn't exactly news.

But are you claiming there's anti-Patriots bias in that? If so, on what basis?

I think it's pretty clear that he's noting that Revis gets special treatment, and the Pats' DBs can't expect to get the same.

#43 ivanvamp

• one campus at a time..

• 4,677 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 12:27 PM

I think it's pretty clear that he's noting that Revis gets special treatment, and the Pats' DBs can't expect to get the same.

Correct.

#44 Rook05

• 1,526 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 01:56 PM

M going to be in midtown for the game tonight. Can any NY SoSHers recommend a Pat-friendly bar for the game?

#45 RedOctober3829

• SoSH Member

• 17,009 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 02:35 PM

M going to be in midtown for the game tonight. Can any NY SoSHers recommend a Pat-friendly bar for the game?

Professor Thom's

#46 twibnotes

• SoSH Member

• 9,016 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 04:07 PM

Professor Thom's

Great suggestion...just worth noting that it's not in midtown...short cab ride though, and I'm not aware of any pats-friendly bars in midtown.

#47 TheoShmeo

• 8,337 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 04:55 PM

Great suggestion...just worth noting that it's not in midtown...short cab ride though, and I'm not aware of any pats-friendly bars in midtown.

Hairy Monk is closer to midtown and is Sox friendly. I assume that carries over but don't know for sure. The Riviera is also Pats friendly.

Hairy Monk, at 3rd and 24th, shows Pats games and emphasizes Boston sports in its website.

Edited by TheoShmeo, 13 November 2011 - 05:01 PM.

#48 LMontro

• 631 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 06:27 PM

Not looking good for Chung, according to both Curran and Reiss

#49 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30,162 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 07:03 PM

So fucking lame Vereen and Price are healthy scratches.

#50 Mystic Merlin

• SoSH Member

• 22,140 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 07:04 PM

So fucking lame Vereen and Price are healthy scratches.

Price is a healthy scratch?

MikeReiss Mike Reiss Price still dealing with hamstring issues. RT: @AlexJPerna:@MikeReiss What is up with Price? A healthy scratch? Waste of a pick it seems.[color=#0084B4 !important]2 minutes ag[/color]

Edited by Mystic Merlin, 13 November 2011 - 07:06 PM.