Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

Photo

2011-2012 Minnesota Twins Off-Season Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 MN Dirt Dog

• 433 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 04:23 PM

Well, might as well start off an off-season thread with a new GM.

Terry Ryan assumed the role of interim general manager of the Twins on Monday, replacing Bill Smith.

Smith, a member of the Twins organization since 1986, was named the fourth GM in Twins history on Sept. 13, 2007. Under Smith's leadership, the Twins won American League Central Division titles in 2009-10) and were on the cusp of winning the 2008 title before a Game 163 tiebreaker loss to the Chicago White Sox. Smith's tenure also included a significant role in shaping the design, construction and successful 2010 opening of Target Field.

Ryan, who has spent more than 28 years in the Twins organization as a Minor League player or executive, returns to the role of the GM, a post he held 1994-2007. As interim GM, he will be responsible for the team the Twins put on the field, negotiating contracts, overseeing the coaching staff and entire baseball department, including the Minor Leagues, scouting, the medical staff, team travel and baseball communications.

Ryan will keep the seat warm for either Wayne Krivsky (assistant to former GM Smith) or Mike Radcliffe (VP of player personnel). Krivsky seems a lock for the decision, but the Twins denied Radcliffe a chance to interview for the Orioles GM job, so I wonder if he's being considered for the GM position with the Twins.

Either one has a big job ahead of him. A team projected to compete for the AL Central crown fell on it's face in 2011, in large part due to injuries and having to rely on barely-ready AAA-level players to fill those shoes. Multi-million dollar men Joe Mauer and Justin Morneau saw little playing time in 2011, and a lot of critics point to Mauer's new 23 million per contract as a significant limitation to signing the free agents that would help make this team competitive.

A big question going into the off-season center around free agent RF Michael Cuddyer, the team's best offensive player in 2011 with M&M on the bench. reports have the Phillies as a big suitor, with the Red Sox also playing into it. Cuddyer turned down a 3yr offer from the Twins previously.

#2 drleather2001

• given himself a skunk spot

• 14347 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 05:45 PM

I think they should let Cuddy walk. He's going to get a huge offer, and the Twins can't afford to keep a 32-25 year old guy around at top dollar while he declines. Their offense rests entirely with how well Mauer and Morneau can bounce back, anyway. They need to invest in player development and some decent pitching before they resign Cuddyer.

#3 Minneapolis Millers

• 545 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:33 AM

The love I'm seeing expressed for Cuddyer from a wide variety of sources is simply baffling. Sure, he's a nice guy, amateur magician, and signs autos for the kids. He owns lots of different gloves and is willing to use them to play wherever the team needs him. With the injuries and poor performances the Twins have seen over the past 2+ years, his flexibility and professionalism have been admirable.

But as a soon-to-be 33 yo corner OF, he's put up an OPS over 800 just 3 times, and his career OPS+ is a merely ok 111. As a first-time All Star this past season (the Twins had to send someone), his season OPS was? 805. Defensively he rates below average to lousy at every position he plays. For this, he's set up to get 3 or 4 years at $10M+ per season?

The Twins reportedly offered him a low-ball 2 yr/$16M deal, hoping he'd take a hometown discount to stay. That deal made sense for the Twins. I could see them offering slightly more per year. And I can certainly see him getting more than that from someone else. But if he pulls down 4/$48, someone's going to regret it.

#4 drleather2001

• given himself a skunk spot

• 14347 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 11:12 AM

The Twins are on the verge of signing veteran SS Jamey Carroll for a 2 year deal.

Signing a soon-to-be 38 and 39 year old does not seem like a sound strategy for a team that needs to get healthy.

Fucking Twins. Jesus.

#5 Pearl Wilson

• SoSH Member

• 6078 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:30 AM

Am I the only one who was upset to learn that Joel Zumaya, who signed with the Twins in the off season, has a torn elbow ligament? I've followed him since he came up with Detroit and his long litany of injuries and comebacks is truly remarkable. You didn't need to be psychic to have predicted this... but dang.