Yo! You're not logged in. Why am I seeing this ad?

SOSH

OK we're back on our main server.  It was taking a super long time to move *everything* back just to save a day's worth of messages.  I've been at this all day now and need to get back to my real job so.,... sorry.  Working on a better plan in case this happens again.  nip

Photo

The Hot Stove News Thread

• Please log in to reply
194 replies to this topic

#1 absintheofmalaise

• too many flowers

• 10003 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 08:52 PM

News only please. Include links. If there is enough discussion we'll break out a new thread.

Brewers decline options on K-Rod and Betncourt.

The Cardinals will exercise their 2012 contract option on Yadier Molina, general manager John Mozeliak said Sunday.

Eight Nationals players -- outfielders Rick Ankiel, Jonny Gomes and Laynce Nix, catcher Ivan Rodriguez, infielder Alex Cora, and pitchers Todd Coffey, Livan Hernandez and Chien-Ming Wang -- filed for free agency on Sunday.

KC players Chen, Francis and Kendall declared for free agency.

Giants sign Javier Lopez and pick up Jeremy Affeldt's option.

#2 InstantKarmma

• Defender of Roadrunners

• 5683 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:50 AM

Cleveland declines option on Grady Sizemore.

Link

I think a one year, incentive-laden contract is reasonable.

#3 rembrat

• SoSH Member

• 20291 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:39 AM

"SI_JonHeyman: derek lowe was traded to the indians"

http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman/status/131047121414660097

They've really stocked up on sinkerballers.

Edited by rembrat, 31 October 2011 - 11:39 AM.

#4 Red(s)HawksFan

• 4235 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:59 AM

http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman/status/131047121414660097

They've really stocked up on sinkerballers.

Olney reports the Braves are picking up $10M of Lowe's remaining $15M, while it is a single-A reliever they are getting back in return.

Edited by Red(s)HawksFan, 31 October 2011 - 11:59 AM.

#5 rembrat

• SoSH Member

• 20291 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:02 PM

Can the Tribe meet Jose Reyes' contract demands? Someone in that INF is going to have to get to all these groundballs.

#6 DanoooME

• SoSH Member

• 5230 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:04 AM

Can the Tribe meet Jose Reyes' contract demands? Someone in that INF is going to have to get to all these groundballs.

Like Asdrubal Cabrera?

Lonnie Chisenhall has a good mL defense rep. Jason Donald is a converted SS at 2B. I don't see where they have a need for Reyes.

#7 rembrat

• SoSH Member

• 20291 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:41 AM

Asdrubal is abysmal in the field.

They could do something like Chisenhall @ 3B, Kipnis @ 2B, Asdrubal @ 1B, and Reyes @ SS. Although if Reyes goes for $120MM, I can't see the Tribe paying out that kind of money.

But now that they have 4 legit GB SP in the rotation they need to address their defense which was one of the worst last year and Asdrubal was a major culprit.

#8 Brianish

• 4226 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 12:28 PM

Beltran has turned from the dark side:

Carlos Beltran has left Scott Boras and is now represented by Dan Lozano, baseball source tells http://ESPN.com.

http://twitter.com/#!/jcrasnick/statuses/131419442168082433

#9 bosox0192

• 94 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:03 PM

Cubs fire manager Mike Quade

http://espn.go.com/c...ager-mike-quade

#10 tims4wins

• PN23's replacement

• 6323 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:04 PM

Cubs fire manager Mike Quade

http://espn.go.com/c...ager-mike-quade

"We are looking for someone with whom and around whom we can build a foundation for sustained success. The next manager must have leadership and communication skills; he must place an emphasis on preparation and accountability; he must establish high standards and a winning culture; he must have integrity and an open mind; and he must have managerial or coaching experience at the major league level."

Emphasis mine.

#11 Brianish

• 4226 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:19 PM

"We are looking for someone with whom and around whom we can build a foundation for sustained success. The next manager must have leadership and communication skills; he must place an emphasis on preparation and accountability; he must establish high standards and a winning culture; he must have integrity and an open mind; and he must have managerial or coaching experience at the major league level."

That rules out Sandberg doesn't it?

#12 rembrat

• SoSH Member

• 20291 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:21 PM

Not picking on you tims because I've seen others do it in different threads, but some people are treating this as a high school relationship and it's at that point in the breakup where everything she says seems to be a subtle dig at you.

#13 doc

• 2550 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:22 PM

Sounds like Theo is putting the band back together.

#14 tims4wins

• PN23's replacement

• 6323 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:53 PM

Not picking on you tims because I've seen others do it in different threads, but some people are treating this as a high school relationship and it's at that point in the breakup where everything she says seems to be a subtle dig at you.

That's fair, I guess it's just more frustrating than anything else that it keeps popping up. Then again, I perpetuated that by choosing to bold one of the phrases, so it would probably be best to just let it die down...

#15 Brianish

• 4226 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:55 PM

It's not like the Cubs have come across as the most professional and accountable of organizations in recent years either. It seems more likely that he's sending a message to Cubs fans (and players) as Sox.

Edited by Brianish, 02 November 2011 - 02:55 PM.

#16 rembrat

• SoSH Member

• 20291 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:22 PM

It's not like the Cubs have come across as the most professional and accountable of organizations in recent years either. It seems more likely that he's sending a message to Cubs fans (and players) as Sox.

True. That's about to change though. Theo, Hoyer, AND McLeod in the same FO? Cubs fans have to be ecstatic.

Although in 8 years it'll all fall apart in a huge Twinkies & Vodka scandal.

#17 jsinger121

• @jsinger121

• 9638 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:23 PM

That rules out Sandberg doesn't it?

Buster_ESPN

Theo Epstein reached out to Ryne Sandberg today, thru PHI, and explained to him he will not be a candidate for the Cubs' managerial job.

#18 Brianish

• 4226 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:25 PM

Damn. We know Theo liked him, and Cubs fans seemed ready to cut throats to get him. Ownership decision?

Wonder if he's a potential coach for them.

Edit - And the plot thickens.

@Ken_Rosenthal Ken Rosenthal
Sources: #Cardinals have asked permission to interview Ryne Sandberg for managerial opening. #MLB #Phillies #Cubs

http://twitter.com/#!/Ken_Rosenthal/status/131808758430044160

Edited by Brianish, 02 November 2011 - 03:31 PM.

#19 bosox0192

• 94 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:25 AM

Sounds like Theo is putting the band back together.

It will be interesting to see if Theo shows any interest in DeMarlo, Bogar, or Lovullo.

#20 rembrat

• SoSH Member

• 20291 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 05:10 PM

Wang is off the table as expected.

"SI_JonHeyman: Wang gets $4M from #nats. deal is pending physical. nice to see him make comeback after shoulder trouble."

http://twitter.com/S...212066546229250

#21 MakMan44

• SoSH Member

• 10083 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:09 PM

Jim Thome signs with Philles for 1.25$ mill. Intresting, I would've thought he would have continued to DH.Link

#22 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30160 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:11 PM

Must expect a nice chunk of 1B time to start the season

#23 Corsi

• Wes Chamberlain's Sasha Rockets

• 8249 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 01:09 PM

#Royals trade OF Melky Cabrera to San Francisco for P Jonathan Sancez and minor-league pitcher Verdugo.

https://twitter.com/#!/Royals_Report/status/133606297449934848 mabrowndog is a dingus

#24 glennhoffmania

• peaks prematurely

• 8381568 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 01:12 PM

Wow, Sanchez' stock seems to have fallen pretty fast.

#25 MakMan44

• SoSH Member

• 10083 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 01:57 PM

Must expect a nice chunk of 1B time to start the season

Apparently Thome told friends that he could use the off season to get prepared to play first base on a regular basis

#26 Lars The Wanderer

• 3258 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 02:09 PM

Wow, Sanchez' stock seems to have fallen pretty fast.

This is the most Sabean move ever.

#27 rembrat

• SoSH Member

• 20291 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 02:13 PM

The Melky/Sanchez trade is a question mark going both ways.

#28 greek_gawd_of_walks

• SoSH Member

• 5264 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 02:41 PM

I like this move for San Francisco. Cabrera has been a pretty good defensive OF with a terrific arm. Fits well with the big ballpark they have out there. Doesn't hurt that he is coming off a career year offensively.

Sanchez would worry me. He is still young at 28 and his K/9 is always strong, but his WHIP is really worrisome, especially moving NL to AL.

No one is a clear winner, but I'd feel better being Sabean here.

Edited by greek_gawd_of_walks, 07 November 2011 - 02:42 PM.

#29 rembrat

• SoSH Member

• 20291 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 03:07 PM

But Melky hasn't been a good defensive player for a while now.

Edited by rembrat, 07 November 2011 - 03:07 PM.

#30 Lars The Wanderer

• 3258 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 03:40 PM

The Giants bought high on a player coming off of career year. They are in for a rude surprise if they expect Melky to be a good defensive player. He hasn't been in a long time. This also puts Barry Zito back into the rotation. This really isn't a good move from the Giants persepctive.

#31 Rasputin

• Will outlive SeanBerry

• 25280 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 04:00 PM

I like this move for San Francisco. Cabrera has been a pretty good defensive OF with a terrific arm. Fits well with the big ballpark they have out there. Doesn't hurt that he is coming off a career year offensively.

Sanchez would worry me. He is still young at 28 and his K/9 is always strong, but his WHIP is really worrisome, especially moving NL to AL.

I think you're out of your mind. Melky Cabrera is a fungible talent and Sanchez is a decent bet to be a decent bottom of the rotation starter.

#32 paulb0t

• 793 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 04:42 PM

Classic Sabean. I'd have to think Sanchez had a lot more trade value than Melky, who is just one season removed from being non-tendered. I understand the Giants have nothing but depth in the rotation, but that doesn't mean you ship someone out of town one year removed from a 127 ERA+ and had shown significant improvement every single year up until his injury plagued 2011.

Cabrera isn't really a good fielder anymore - though his strong arm will be an asset while he's chasing down balls hit to the wall at AT&T park, and outside of 2011 he's never been a good hitter.

#33 Minneapolis Millers

• 497 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 04:44 PM

Is this Hot Stove news? At least indirectly:
http://www.startribu.../133383113.html

Twins fire GM Smith; old GM Ryan steps in interimly...

#34 maufman

• SoSH Member

• 11468 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 05:07 PM

Even ignoring Jonathan Sanchez, this isn't a bad deal for KC. In his first professional season as a starting pitcher, Ryan Verdugo struck out 133 batters in 130 1/3 innings for Double-A Richmond. (He was a relief pitchers previously, putting up good numbers in the low minors.)

Great deal for the Royals.

#35 untilthebombs

• 253 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 05:14 PM

I think you're out of your mind. Melky Cabrera is a fungible talent and Sanchez is a decent bet to be a decent bottom of the rotation starter.

Sanchez is no less "fungible" than Cabrera; greater than 163 IP only once in the last four years, among league worsts in career BB%, sporting a K/BB of less than 2. All of this with half of his appearances in the most pitcher friendly park in baseball, facing largely substandard NL West offenses.

#36 Al Zarilla

• SoSH Member

• 18655 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 06:02 PM

Sounds like the Giants are fed up with Sanchez splitting time between being Sandy Koufax and Matt Young (big stretch with the Koufax too).

#37 greek_gawd_of_walks

• SoSH Member

• 5264 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 06:13 PM

I don't think it's a real win for anybody. Sanchez has good stuff. I just worry how it translates switching to the AL. Since he's a strikeout pitcher, this may be negligible, and it could be a major coup. His H/9 have gone down steadily (last year went up slightly), so if he can reign in his control, it could be a great move. That said, Righetti is a one of the better pitching coaches in the league. If Righetti couldn't fix his walk tendencies then I'm not sure it's something that can be fixed.

In regards to Cabrera's defense, I didn't take a look at his dWAR (-1.9 this year). I didn't realize he lost as much as he had. The assists deceived me.

I didn't check out the prospect either. He seems like a solid piece as someone alluded too.

Edited by greek_gawd_of_walks, 07 November 2011 - 06:16 PM.

#38 E5 Yaz

• Transcends message boarding

• 23256 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 06:19 PM

I went to three of the four games the Sox played in KC this August. A friend of mine who's a Royals fan said that the stadium drinking game was to drink every time Melkey made a fundamental mistake (threw to a wrong base, bad baserunner, bad route to a flyball, etc). It was stunning how often this proved to be the case.

In terms of taking a route to the ball, Melkey made Ellsbury look like Paul Blair. He can throw, sometimes even to the proper base or cutoff man. One with a runner on second and one out, my friend said "watch, Melkey will bunt on his own here" ... which he did, poorly, eliciting a great WTF look from Ned Yost in the dugout.

Interesting trade, to say the least

#39 Spacemans Bong

• chapeau rose

• 16146 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:12 PM

The Giants traded a lefty starter under 30 who misses bats for a below average defensive player who had a career year. This trade also puts Barry Zito (who is Matt Young all the time rather than merely some of the time) back in the rotation and counts on another All-Star year from Ryan fucking Vogelsong, which isn't going to happen.

How is this not a bad trade?

Edit: I forgot that this also relegates Andres Torres. Whether you think he'll bounce back offensively or not, he is an outstanding center fielder. Melky sucks, so if he has less than a 110 OPS+ it's a wash between the two.

Edited by Spacemans Bong, 07 November 2011 - 07:21 PM.

#40 judyb

• 3075 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:41 PM

He's about a year from turning 30 and he still can't throw strikes while pitching in one of the easiest environments to pitch in MLB.

#41 PandaSox

• 657 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:08 AM

Is this Hot Stove news? At least indirectly:
http://www.startribu.../133383113.html

Twins fire GM Smith; old GM Ryan steps in interimly...

About freaking time. In case you are wondering why I am so adamant, here are the Smith's biggest blunders:

1) Traded J.J. Hardy to the Orioles for a couple of minor league relievers. Hardy goes on to post a 4.8 WAR, a .801 OPS, and a fantastic 11.7 UZR/150. The minor league relievers - Jim Hoey was the best of the bunch - combined for 5.47 ERA/5.58 FIP.
2) Traded Wilson Ramos to the Nats for Matt Capps. Ramos is now Washington's starting catcher and posted a nice triple-slash line of .278/.305/.405 at the league minimum at the age of 24. Capps posted an ugly 4.75 FIP and was removed from the closer's role by an injured Joe Nathan, who was having the worst year of his career.
3) The Matt Garza for Delmon Young trade. Enough said.

Good riddance.

#42 Minneapolis Millers

• 497 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:27 AM

Agree that all of those were boptched deals, although there was at least some reasoning behind the Young deal. Actually, I'd cite the Santana trade as his biggest blunder. We might never know exactly when he had what deals available to him, but it was pretty clear that both the NYYs and Sox offered significantly better (and certainly more advanced) players than what the Twins ultimately accepted from the Mets. Smith didn't recognize the value when it was offered and/or thought he could just indefinitely keep offers on the table. He was burned when NY and Bos pulled out. And that failure set the franchise back.

#43 The Gray Eagle

• SoSH Member

• 8909 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:50 AM

It's interesting to look back at the Santana trade offers:
http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=3140645

According to that report, the Yankees offered Melky and Phil Hughes, plus a lower level guy. The Red Sox would only part with one of Lester, Ellsbury or Buchholz, but the Twins wanted Ellsbury, Lester and Lowrie from the Red Sox for Santana. Good thing we didn't give in on that one, yikes.

#44 Minneapolis Millers

• 497 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 02:32 PM

It's interesting to look back at the Santana trade offers:
http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=3140645

According to that report, the Yankees offered Melky and Phil Hughes, plus a lower level guy. The Red Sox would only part with one of Lester, Ellsbury or Buchholz, but the Twins wanted Ellsbury, Lester and Lowrie from the Red Sox for Santana. Good thing we didn't give in on that one, yikes.

I recall reports that Farrell objected strongly to Lester being dangled, and suspect his name was pulled off the table rather quickly. But the Twins could probably have had Buchholz, Crisp and a lesser guy - perhaps Lowrie (that was never clear). Seriously, I think Smith was overwhelmed by the choices and had no good system for sorting through it all. It's a gut punch for Twins fans to even think about those missed opportunities.

#45 LesterFan

• 3114 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:08 PM

Tim Brown Confirming Madson with Phils, 4 for 44 mil. Fifth-year option worth 13 mil.

http://twitter.com/#...043581429202944

Holy crap.

Edited by LesterFan, 08 November 2011 - 06:08 PM.

#46 MikeM

• 841 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:42 PM

http://twitter.com/#...043581429202944

Holy crap.

Yeah, but somewhat expected imo. .

Guessing i might need to swallow down some happy pills with Papelbon's extension when it comes time for that.

#47 SoxScout

• Maalox Territory

• 30160 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 03:02 PM

Amaro and Boras agreed to a 4-yr 44m sgp deal for Madson including award bonuses and an option yr....deal could be legally binding

David Montgomery has not approved the deal that Amaro made with Boras re: Madson....he has to trust his GM and the authority he's given him

The ? on the Madson agreement is if Montgomery doesn't approve...did Amaro have the legal authority to close the deal w/Boras...grievance?

https://twitter.com/#!/JimBowdenESPNxm

Edited by SoxScout, 09 November 2011 - 03:03 PM.

#48 Jeff Van GULLY

• 2524 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 02:22 PM

Phillies sign Papelbon, no details yet.

#49 ivanvamp

• one campus at a time..

• 3704 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 08:31 PM

Guessing i might need to swallow down some happy pills with Papelbon's extension when it comes time for that.

......or not.

#50 rembrat

• SoSH Member

• 20291 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:34 PM

"SBerthiaumeESPN: KW says new trade options have emerged at GM meetings. Smiled when he said it."

http://twitter.com/SBerthiaumeESPN/status/136581372230897664

Inb4 the CWS trade us Adam Dunn + money for some nobodies.

Edited by rembrat, 15 November 2011 - 09:45 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users